Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NIMBY?
NIMBY
YIMBY
I can't afford my medicine.
View Results

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm a mostly ignorant lurker here, but I'm curious about something. How does a municipality provide more services and infrastructure without gentrifying the area as well? Stuff like bike lanes or better schools, parks, library branches - stuff that should have been there the entire time. And yeah, that stuff should all be funded at the state level to ensure more equity but it's generally not so what's the proper way to do that in the short term?

gentrification isn't really a technical term. it describes a process of displacement which, if it happens fast enough or hard enough, visibly fucks over the poor/middle class in a way that people sharply notice. this is distinct from the slow displacement of the poor/middle class which is just a sort of natural part of how cities exist when people can outbid each other for housing

but, with that out of the way, to answer your question - you can't provide better services and infrastructure without making the area more attractive to people with more money. especially not schools, which are the strongest influence on property values. you could put a property tax freeze on targeted homes or neighborhoods so as to prevent people from being priced out of their own homes, or like rent control for renters, but you can't prevent people from seeing rising property values and deciding to cash out if they own property there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Can we all agree that the way schools are funded in the US is awful?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm a mostly ignorant lurker here, but I'm curious about something. How does a municipality provide more services and infrastructure without gentrifying the area as well? Stuff like bike lanes or better schools, parks, library branches - stuff that should have been there the entire time. And yeah, that stuff should all be funded at the state level to ensure more equity but it's generally not so what's the proper way to do that in the short term?
You can't, really. I mean you could avoid improving the areas where poor people live, but for obvious reasons this isn't the greatest idea either.

Best you can do is spread out the improvements. And then bigger picture public housing (and maybe even some form of rent control, though I don't think the way it works in the US usually is great).

OddObserver posted:

Can we all agree that the way schools are funded in the US is awful?
Yes, but that problem gets all the focus, when it's economic segregation that's as big, if not a bigger problem. In many nicer school areas you can't live without a minimum amount of land, due to strict zoning requirements, which effectively keeps out most people who are poor or working class. If apartments were possible to build in those areas, they wouldn't be able to stay nearly as economically segregated.

Most Americans are aware of this on some level, that there's a reason why poor families don't just choose to live in better school areas which would then even things out, but because SFH-only zoning is so common, even most people left of center seem to just shrug and accept it. "Yeah, the local government enforces gated communities for schools for some reason, oh well."

One of the striking things about moving to Germany is that how rich or poor a neighborhood is, is much, MUCH less obvious almost all the time. Of course there's still some variation, but it's far less drastic, you usually have to actually pay close attention, whereas in most US neighborhoods I would nearly always notice how rich an area is even without thinking about it. And it seems pretty obvious that this is because there isn't any SFH-only zoning, anywhere, so you can always build at least, like, some 'missing middle' type housing that working class people could afford.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 15, 2020

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Dylan16807 posted:

So that basically does boil down to her being very mistaken about her own level of wealth, not realizing that she was pushing up housing prices herself? That's a reasonable assessment, and it's a shame that riding prices all by themselves can screw up a neighborhood even if people actively try to keep the culture the same.

"Keeping the culture the same" is on its own a good thing, it's both theoretically and practically a reactionary principal. There are specific circumstances where it can be desirable, generally to protect less privileged or vulnerable communities due to other deficiencies in our society, but it has mostly been used to justify white supremecy over the last century.

Change, especially in urban environments, should be a good thing, the problem is when we don't allow the least we'll off to benefit from it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
While we're still in the throes of the pandemic, the usual suspects and more than a few useful idiots have taken the opportunity to decry density as a catalyst for disease and promote further sprawl and dependency on personal car ownership. There's fortunately been some pushback, but I fear there's far too many people who will accept the argument at face value as it's easily intuited and the (correct) counter-argument requires diving a bit deeper.

A nice article on the subject:

quote:

When a pandemic comes, cities scare the hell out of people. The crush and bustle of the sidewalks and subways feels like a big petri dish. One instinct is to run... This choice rarely turns out well.

That’s the paradox of the megalopolis. Its population density means it’s the place where viruses often begin and that epidemics, if undetected, can explode fast there. New York is about to become a major focal point of infection and mortality, and London is not looking too good, either, because they didn’t close their crowded drinking places earlier.

But the biggest cities are also the safest places in the world.

Only they have the infrastructure, staff and organization to really quash an outbreak –
Taipei and Tokyo, both more dense than New York, were able to flatten their virus-spread curves almost instantly using the unavoidable communications, visible deterrence and bureaucracies that only a tight-packed urban centre can muster. If you’ve spent any time in a small town, you’ll know how hard it is to keep people inside or away from each other.

And only huge cities have the resources and the reserve armies of medical talent to tool their health-care systems up to pandemic-level capacity in time to save lives. New York, because it’s able to build and staff huge convention-centre hospitals in short order, will have a lower mortality rate than the smaller, more elderly towns and cities that will be hit next.

Still, we have an atavistic, deep-set fear of big cities as pits of disease. For thousands of years, that is what they were – until their very scale, and the things they contain, flipped the formula upside down.

Don't read the comments.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rich people hate good infrastructure though because the only good infrastructure in cities is loads of public transport and theoretically a poor person could use it to come over and be visible in a rich-people neighbourhood or *gasp* even go to school there!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
OTOH, it helps keep the riff-raff off the roads so that's good

Cicero posted:

You can't, really. I mean you could avoid improving the areas where poor people live, but for obvious reasons this isn't the greatest idea either.

Best you can do is spread out the improvements. And then bigger picture public housing (and maybe even some form of rent control, though I don't think the way it works in the US usually is great).

Yes, but that problem gets all the focus, when it's economic segregation that's as big, if not a bigger problem. In many nicer school areas you can't live without a minimum amount of land, due to strict zoning requirements, which effectively keeps out most people who are poor or working class. If apartments were possible to build in those areas, they wouldn't be able to stay nearly as economically segregated.

Most Americans are aware of this on some level, that there's a reason why poor families don't just choose to live in better school areas which would then even things out, but because SFH-only zoning is so common, even most people left of center seem to just shrug and accept it. "Yeah, the local government enforces gated communities for schools for some reason, oh well."

One of the striking things about moving to Germany is that how rich or poor a neighborhood is, is much, MUCH less obvious almost all the time. Of course there's still some variation, but it's far less drastic, you usually have to actually pay close attention, whereas in most US neighborhoods I would nearly always notice how rich an area is even without thinking about it. And it seems pretty obvious that this is because there isn't any SFH-only zoning, anywhere, so you can always build at least, like, some 'missing middle' type housing that working class people could afford.
Those property taxes are probably also making gentrification worse in America directly too. I was pretty shocked when I learned my relatives in NJ were paying over 10 grand a year in property taxes. That's nuts and I can see how increasing property prices can drive out someone who otherwise would be able to afford living there. In contrast I got the annual property tax bill a couple of weeks back and it was less than $100.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

mobby_6kl posted:

Those property taxes are probably also making gentrification worse in America directly too. I was pretty shocked when I learned my relatives in NJ were paying over 10 grand a year in property taxes. That's nuts and I can see how increasing property prices can drive out someone who otherwise would be able to afford living there. In contrast I got the annual property tax bill a couple of weeks back and it was less than $100.
Aren't property taxes a lagging indicator, though? They're paying a lot in property tax because property values in their area have gone up a lot.

I'm not sure how best to address that beyond being sure that freezing property taxes in any way is a terrible idea that only produces a bunch of old fucks who bought in when things were 50x cheaper and are intolerant of any change in their neighborhoods. Abolish all private land ownership, imho?

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/rabonour/status/1237424594526416896?s=20

There was a piece in the LA Times yesterday that was a nice example of the “only good gentrification is my gentrification” genre, and also a little bit racist.

The third pic is my favorite. “I bought here because I couldn’t afford anywhere else, how dare people gentrify it!”

good to see jane jacobs is still getting work

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Cugel the Clever posted:

Aren't property taxes a lagging indicator, though? They're paying a lot in property tax because property values in their area have gone up a lot.

I'm not sure how best to address that beyond being sure that freezing property taxes in any way is a terrible idea that only produces a bunch of old fucks who bought in when things were 50x cheaper and are intolerant of any change in their neighborhoods. Abolish all private land ownership, imho?

yeah this poo poo is what gets me going when I hear "COMMIEFORNIA"

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Is anyone attending the online NPC?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cugel the Clever posted:

Well yes but they can also accelerate it since people can be forced out by having to pay higher taxes in addition to their mortgage or rent. During the bubble here my grandfather's apartment could've been worth $300-400k and it would be mathematically impossible to pay even a 1% tax on his pension and he'd have to move from the place he lived in since the 70s.

I'd exempt the primary residence from property taxes altogether. It's pretty weird that the one wealth tax that's somehow acceptable is literally on the only thing that's separating us from being homeless. It'd also have the extra benefit of decoupling tax revenue from real estate prices.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

I'd exempt the primary residence from property taxes altogether. It's pretty weird that the one wealth tax that's somehow acceptable is literally on the only thing that's separating us from being homeless. It'd also have the extra benefit of decoupling tax revenue from real estate prices.

you'd have to mandate local government unification and revenue sharing, massively centralizing state level power. property taxes exist because they're the one form of taxation localities can reliably institute within their own borders. cities don't and probably can't collect income tax, and sales tax at a local level is pretty unreliable. a property must exist somewhere though, and generally won't be moved. exempting primary residences from property tax would murder thousands of bedroom/suburban cities, which would be a good thing in the long run, but cause some pretty cinematic consequences in the short run

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 1, 2020

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
There also would need to be some alternative mechanism to encourage the adaptation of whatever structure exists on the land to the needs of the broader community. As much as it would be cute that my great grandmother continue to reside in the ranch house she bought 80 years ago, there are real societal costs to her doing so if the number of people who would benefit from living in the area outstrips the number of available homes. Forcing our cities to evolve in a way that treats current residence as absolutely sacrosanct would inflict terrible consequences on everyone, even assuming an enlightened approach to public transit that would allow newcomers easy mobility no matter how far out they're shunted.

Removing the property tax would also eliminate one of the huge incentives to replace any existing structure with more units: where the purchaser might have previously decided to bring on more residents to offset the high tax rate on the high value land (assuming the neighborhood doesn't already ban multi-family homes), there's suddenly even less reason for the rich not to build themselves ridiculous mansions in areas people are clamoring to get into.

But you're right that rising property taxes are likely to first hurt those least able to adapt to the change and I don't know what to do about that beyond ensuring folks have the means to make a change without discomfort and maybe somehow requiring that the property be redeveloped into more units that will be affordable to those that were displaced.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Property is capital. If you have a capital asset that's appreciating in value you should be taxed on it.

The problem isn't that housing is a commodity, so much is that it's an investment. The issue isn't that housing is something people buy and sell, but something that we've built our entire political economy around ensuring always goes up.

A lot of the psychotic NIMBY reaction to things like apartments are racism or classism, but a lot of it is also the fact that the people snarling at those meetings have invested their life savings in something whose value depends on it being scarce.

This isn't some fixed and intractable law of nature either, the fact that housing usually appreciates in value and the fact that people base their personal economic lives around that are both the result of conscious policy decisions.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Still Dismal posted:

Property is capital. If you have a capital asset that's appreciating in value you should be taxed on it.

The problem isn't that housing is a commodity, so much is that it's an investment. The issue isn't that housing is something people buy and sell, but something that we've built our entire political economy around ensuring always goes up.

A lot of the psychotic NIMBY reaction to things like apartments are racism or classism, but a lot of it is also the fact that the people snarling at those meetings have invested their life savings in something whose value depends on it being scarce.

This isn't some fixed and intractable law of nature either, the fact that housing usually appreciates in value and the fact that people base their personal economic lives around that are both the result of conscious policy decisions.

I'd argue that a primary residence should not be taxed.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why should homeowners get a break when renters will be paying the landlords' property tax indirectly in their rents?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
A limited property tax break that was only for primary residences of people who'd lived there a while (5+ years) and for whom the increased taxes would represent a burden on their current income would be fine. That would eliminate probably 95% of the problem with laws like Prop 13.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Nitrousoxide posted:

Please make the argument. Those properties use city services and should pay for them.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

silence_kit posted:

Why should homeowners get a break when renters will be paying the landlords' property tax indirectly in their rents?

Related my town had to ask for a bond override to pay for a new elementary school last year. The usual debates popped up, why can't we just reinvest in the new old schools, the town must of mismanaged funds, why should kids get anything when I was in school we didn't need X. Day of the election someone goes on facebook live, a realtor and goes on this diatribe that he believes the schools are in disrepair and that we should build new ones. His issue with the bond issue is that renters in town, will not have to bare the cost of the new real estate tax and that why should they benefit.

Taking aside the obvious racial and class implications, I asked this guy if he knew how rentals work. I hate this idea that these rental apartments are operating some razor thing margin small business. They will bake the taxes into the cost somewhere. He basically said they won't be taxed as much and I wonder how this guy can actually work in real estate if he doesn't know how any of this works.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

MickeyFinn posted:

Please make the argument. Those properties use city services and should pay for them.

People on fixed incomes or even incomes that don't increase with the property prices in their neighborhood will get priced out by increasing property taxes.

The money should be raised through income taxes or taxes on commercial or non-primary residence property.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Eliminating or even restricting the ability of counties and local municipalities to tax primary residences is a fantastic way to bankrupt those municipalities.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

People on fixed incomes or even incomes that don't increase with the property prices in their neighborhood will get priced out by increasing property taxes.

The money should be raised through income taxes or taxes on commercial or non-primary residence property.

does the commercial non-primary residence property include rental units though? silence_kit's point still stands. If the tax burden is just shifted from homeowners to renters that is not a progressive outcome. To keep it fair you are inevitably going to have to exclude almost all residential property from taxes, which will inevitably create other problems.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Also if you shift the tax burden entirely to commercial properties then overnight those properties will close up shop / leave the city or county and that is a great way to impoverish your city.

There are better and more effective ways to protect vulnerable residents than to restrict a municipalities ability to tax residences.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Also if you shift the tax burden entirely to commercial properties then overnight those properties will close up shop / leave the city or county and that is a great way to impoverish your city.

There are better and more effective ways to protect vulnerable residents than to restrict a municipalities ability to tax residences.

So how do you go about doing it? Honest question, I don’t know.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

So how do you go about doing it? Honest question, I don’t know.

I don’t know either, but I’ve seen first hand what happened in my own county when property tax increases were tied to inflation and suddenly we cannot afford all of the services that we need. Of course, this disproportionately affects the poor/immigrant communities.

I know that my county offers substantial mortgage loan and payment assistance for those who meet the financial criteria. Perhaps some sort of tax forgiveness for those specific residences could also be hashed out?

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 2, 2020

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Do you think there are no renters with fixed or low incomes

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Stop trying to think of prop 13 replacements. Just kill the whole thing. Just don't foreclose homes for property tax liens if somebody lives there. Wait for a sale or property transfer to take the pound of flesh.

E: woops thought this was California politics thread.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

What is wrong with the idea of making property taxes some vanishingly small fraction of a percent (few hundred bucks a year) to pay for the costs of maintaining the cadastre and levy increased income taxes on higher income bands to offset revenue loss? It would shift the burden away from fixed incomes and toward higher earning working individuals. Tax a second home at the long term capital gains rate because it functions the same as any other wealth hoard.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Property tax is the closest substitute we have for a wealth tax. I'm not sure replacing it with income tax would have the desired effect.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

1) It's a massive subsidy to homeownership, which is bad

2) If they sell the house it's still a capital gain

3) Lol renters? Who cares

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Do you think there are no renters with fixed or low incomes

Exclude rental properties from property taxes insofar as the rental units are being used as people's primary residence. If 50% of the units are being used as primary residences then reduce the landlord's property tax on that property by 50%.

Make up the difference with higher income and commercial and non-primary residence property taxes.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Hambilderberglar posted:

What is wrong with the idea of making property taxes some vanishingly small fraction of a percent (few hundred bucks a year) to pay for the costs of maintaining the cadastre and levy increased income taxes on higher income bands to offset revenue loss? It would shift the burden away from fixed incomes and toward higher earning working individuals. Tax a second home at the long term capital gains rate because it functions the same as any other wealth hoard.

Essentially this is what major cities do though.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Hambilderberglar posted:

Why a few hundred bucks a year? Where did that value come from? Maintaining the cadastre is insufficient, isn't it? The city built (and maintains) water pipes, sewage pipes and water lines to nearby that property so that the property can access those services and the owner is using them. The owner should pay for those, too. The roads that go to the house should be paid by the owner.

The property tax issue seems like people trying to use a change in property taxes to ameliorate more fundamental problems in the United States. Namely that retirement incomes are inadequate, housing is in shortage (in urban areas, at least), and house prices are also the principle means to wealth generation for the middle class (maybe the poor as well?). I don't think the property taxes are the issue. Property taxes are a way to internalize (to the homeowners) the societal cost of their homeownership, that seems like a good thing to me. That old and poor people get priced out of their homes is a problem because the old and poor have fixed incomes and no where else to go.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

The money should be raised through income taxes

localities can't collect income taxes

-or-

let's continue to gently caress up the american tax system by collecting income taxes on the federal, state, and local (both county and city level? and township level?) level

Nitrousoxide posted:

or taxes on commercial or non-primary residence property.

there are way not enough commercial or second homes to tax to support local government

Hambilderberglar posted:

What is wrong with the idea of making property taxes some vanishingly small fraction of a percent (few hundred bucks a year) to pay for the costs of maintaining the cadastre

in the united states, the primary use of property taxes is to fund education as primary education is entirely handled at the local level. inequitable distribution of residences and property taxes across jurisdictional lines is a strong, perhaps the strongest influence on racial segregation. while this scheme is really awful, it exists because there is no meaningful revenue sharing in the united states (generally, there are always exceptions) between state and sub-state aka local jurisdictions. so tampering with property taxes without some sort of magic scheme to enhance state level control of local decisions will, directly, make education even worse in the united states as poor jurisdictions would lose the ability to fund schools with no adequate compensatory measure in place

Hambilderberglar posted:

and levy increased income taxes on higher income bands to offset revenue loss?

localities do not have the power to collect income taxes. it really doesn't even make sense at the local level, with how fragmented jurisdictional lines are. do you get taxed by the locality where you live? do you get taxed by the locality where you work? what if you work in multiple localities?

theoretically the state could enact revenue sharing, but this is a political non-starter in terms of reform (ask local jurisdictions to cede power, see how that goes for you) and it would open up revenue sharing formulas to public debate which would almost certainly continue to entrench inequitable distribution of resources

Hambilderberglar posted:

Tax a second home at the long term capital gains rate because it functions the same as any other wealth hoard.

the problem with second homes is that they tend to be in nice, remote locations. so all these coastal or lake or mountain towns where people retire to would have a nice fat funding boost with nothing to spend it on really. this is more of that inequitable distribution thing

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 2, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
anyway this entire derail can be put to bed if some of yall google "homestead exemption"

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

1) It's a massive subsidy to homeownership, which is bad

2) If they sell the house it's still a capital gain

3) Lol renters? Who cares

I think there is a big difference between the person on a fixed income and a paid off home that was hoping to age in place and a henry household netting a quarter million. The latter can absorb a tax hike much more easily and should be the class bearing the brunt of the cost of providing services in the public sphere.

There’s also not a jurisdiction in the US that does not collect federal income tax which should eliminate jurisdiction shopping and tax arbitrage by playing games with residency status the way state and local taxes allow.

Lastly, I personally don’t really care about the degree of ownership or usufruct someone has over their (primary) residence. Having a roof over your head is as close to a fundamental need as there is and it does not sit well with me that someone can be in the circumstances where they cannot afford to pay taxes for what is a basic necessity.

That’s true already but the taxation on the gain is waived if the proceeds are used to buy another house.
The kind of people benefitting from this the most have large and expensive homes in desirable areas, so they will have income to spare and tax.

Or institute a mansion tax for any private residence with its own entrance over a certain size (the entrance so you can avoid someone putting a few locking doors in a McMansion and claiming they’re individual units.) , or extra tax if the sales price is a certain percentage over the average value. Something to shift the burden further toward higher incomes.

Renters do not pay property taxes directly? If you are concerned with the costs being passed along require all rents to be itemized and criminalize charging tenants for any of these taxes.

E: well this was a useless post since i was ignorant of the revenue sharing situation in the US.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 2, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hambilderberglar posted:

E: well this was a useless post since i was ignorant of the revenue sharing situation in the US.

honestly a lot of the problems of the united states can be attributed to deliberate governmental fragmentation, which made sense two centuries ago but is now a structural weakness compared to the more modern, centralized federalistic states of europe

at the federal level, the united states federal government is very strong in some explicit ways and also completely firewalled out with no power in other ways. for example, the united states military - very strong! and yet, the federal department of education was created in the late 1970s (out of precursor organizations, to be fair) and it has very little power to enforce comprehensive educational standards or equitable funding across schools in the united states. the department of education is largely just a clearinghouse for federally managed loans to individual students for higher education

the 10th amendment to the constution basically says "anything not listed here is a power granted to the states". so the states of the united states are REALLY powerful compared to the level of authority that states or state-equvalents have in other federalist systems. like, some american states have their own militaries. the power to define what a city is and what powers it has is a power itself granted to states. so states can determine within their own borders what a city is and can do. in many states, the state government kicks a lot of power down to the local level in a "home rule" clause, meaning that "hey you guys live here, you sort out your own systems of education and utilities and stuff. please meet these standards or we will be mad at you. anyway k thanks byeee". the important thing to remember here is this:

-states are allowed to collect income taxes (nothing in the constitution prevents it)
-states are allowed to determine what taxes local jurisdictions can collect
-states which permit local governments to collect income taxes would be directly undercutting one of their primary sources of revenue

so in practice this generally means that states collect income taxes, local governments collect property taxes, and both collect sales taxes in variable proportions. some states engage with revenue sharing, some dont - it's difficult to talk about in anything other than vague terms because every state can kind of do whatever the hell it wants. here's an article that breaks it down a bit

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/pdf/coe_cma.pdf

tldr school funding in the usa is roughly half local, half state, with a pittance from the federal government. there are a LOT of revenue streams here through so don't make any assumptions here without looking at it in detail

e: this article is old but it summarizes the problem well

http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/may02/vol59/num08/Unequal-School-Funding-in-the-United-States.aspx

quote:

Funding in Other Countries
Funding differences in the United States generate huge disparities in the quality of school buildings, facilities, curri-culum, equipment for instruction, teacher experience and qualifications, class sizes, presence of auxiliary professionals, and other resources. It would surprise most U.S. citizens to learn that disparities such as these are simply not tolerated in other developed countries, where public schools normally receive equal funding in rich and poor communities alike on the basis of the number of students enrolled. Robert Slavin (1999) explains the difference:

quote:

To my knowledge, the U.S. is the only nation to fund elementary and secondary education based on local wealth. Other developed countries either equalize funding or provide extra funding for individuals or groups felt to need it. In the Netherlands, for example, national funding is provided to all schools based on the number of pupils enrolled, but for every guilder allocated to a middle-class Dutch child, 1.25 guilders are allocated for a lower-class child and 1.9 guilders for a minority child, exactly the opposite of the situation in the U.S., where lower-class and minority children typically receive less than middle-class white children. (p. 520)

Poor and minority children always face problems that are not experienced by their peers, and in all advanced nations they tend to have more difficulties with education. But in the United States, those children face additional handicaps because they are often forced to attend poorly funded schools.

Excuses for Unequal Funding
As a rule, U.S. citizens say they are committed to the welfare of children, the ideal of equal opportunity, and the notion that public education can and should provide a level playing field for all students. Given these stated values, why are they willing to tolerate unequal funding for public schools?

Perhaps the simplest answer to this question is that some people in the United States are unaware of the problem or think that inequities in school funding are small and don't matter. Many people, however, are aware that public schools are not equally supported but are willing to tolerate this form of inequity. Three reasons may lie behind this odd stance.

Historical Experiences
From their beginnings, public schools in the United States have been viewed as institutions that served their local communities. Initially, those schools were often financed by voluntary contributions, but by the end of the 19th century the tradition of funding them through local property taxes was widespread. This tradition had real advantages because many families were living in small, relatively isolated communities with similar standards of living.

But as time passed, fewer people lived in such communities. Instead, more people crowded into major cities, and then—if they achieved “success”—moved to the suburbs that came to surround those urban centers. As the suburbs grew, the inhabitants retained the tradition of funding public schools through local property taxes, but now this system was flawed. Parents who moved to affluent suburbs were generally willing to fund well-equipped, well-staffed public schools for their own children, but—familiar only with the tradition that public schools should be funded locally—they saw little reason to pay additional taxes to fund equivalent schools for the impoverished students left behind in city centers or rural towns.

Beliefs About the Causes of Poverty
Resistance to equitable funding for schools has also been supported by several belief systems about the causes of poverty. One of these, the ideology of individualism, holds that success and failure result mainly from individual effort rather than social circumstance. The people of the United States are known around the world for their strong belief in the power of personal effort, but this can lead to associated beliefs that blame impoverished persons for their lack of success in life (see Kluegel & Smith, 1986).

A second belief, essentialism, has it that less-privileged groups (such as African Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, or women) inherit genetic characteristics that account for whatever lack of successes they have experienced. This thesis has appeared repeatedly, in Europe as well as the United States, for more than a century. Advocates such as Arthur Jensen (1972) or Richard Herrnstein and Charles Murray (1994) still promote this theory today. When applied to the poor, essentialism asserts that poverty results from intractable genetic flaws.

Another belief system, the culture of poverty thesis, argues that minority persons fail because of inappropriate traditions in the subcultures of their homes, communities, or ethnic groups (see Moynihan, 1969). When applied to the poor, such beliefs suggest that persons in impoverished communities fail because they possess only “limited linguistic codes” or are handicapped by lack of appropriate “cultural or social capital.”

Each of these belief systems can lead to the argument that because students from impoverished homes are unlikely to benefit from a “quality” education, funding public schools equally in rich and poor neighborhoods would only waste tax dollars. To voice such arguments openly is not acceptable in the United States today, but the beliefs that would justify them are still embraced privately by many white, affluent people who use them to rationalize resistance to proposals for equal school funding.

and because of the baked in preference for "home rule", tightfisted white racists get a lot of voice when it comes to determining school funding policies

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 2, 2020

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

silence_kit posted:

You just give it back to the renters! https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/renters-property-tax-refund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
If you own property that is increasing in value that you winning, that’s the system working for you, you aren’t a victim. If you can’t afford the property tax take in renters, thereby increasing housing supply, or sell your house for what is likely a substantial profit.

Seriously, we know what happens if you artificially constrain the rate at which property tax rises relative to the value of property, we’ve run that experiment. It’s called prop 13 and it’s bad for literally everyone who didn’t buy their property decades ago.