Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/Qx8fwdC

Oh gently caress, this made me flinch.

And it wasn’t even suicide grip

Don’t lift more than you can handle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/1254047574383788033

An industry known for shady business practices is acting shady. How shocking!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm glad at this time that anytime currently hasn't pulled any stupid bullshit on me. I miss the gym and am struggling to maintain the drive to work out in my apartment while having some severe withdrawals from my regular routine.

I'll just pound some preworkout Monday morning and get it done.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I gave you a challenge. Not one that is reasonable, or wise, but a challenge nevertheless. In case that kind of thing would help.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I preordered a kettlebell because I wanted a heavier one. The one I have is 12kg the one I'm getting is 16kg. Why yes I am very weak.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

doverhog posted:

I gave you a challenge. Not one that is reasonable, or wise, but a challenge nevertheless. In case that kind of thing would help.

I don't waaaaaaant to do body squats

I want to do lovely-form squats with too much weight

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

And it wasn’t even suicide grip

Don’t lift more than you can handle

I've seen someone make the argument for suicide grip, saying that if the bar starts to come out of your hands, your thumb isn't going to stop it anyway. Maybe they were right.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I've seen someone make the argument for suicide grip, saying that if the bar starts to come out of your hands, your thumb isn't going to stop it anyway. Maybe they were right.

I think that was me. I started doing suicide grip because I was doing bench "too much" and it made my thumb joints hurt, a lot. Been doing it ever since.

The weight rests on your palm, and you control it with gravity and angles. Thumb did nothing for that guy.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

2 45 plates purchased.
Rogue ohio bar on order.

SOON I WILL BE SQUATTING ON MY BALCONY.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Oops uh this is the swolception thread. I've been using my 53# KB for S&S. It's been great.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 26, 2020

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
Im in such a weird place mentally at the moment.

I don't live with my partner, and she works with vulnerable elderly people so we haven't been able to see each other for 3...4 weeks? Can't even remember any more.
I also am working from home, and will be for quite a while even after the lockdown ends, so I don't see anyone in the office.
Apart from the weekly Tesco run, the only face to face contact I've had since this started is a quick 10 minute chat with a mate/colleague who dropped a box of laptops to my house on his way home, and even that was at opposite ends of my garden.
I am so bored on evenings/weekends it is unreal.

But on the other hand, my training has never been better.
I started cutting when we went on lockdown, and even though I have had to lower the calories much more than I normally would due to being basically rooted to my bed/sofa for 22 hours a day, I have dropped 6kg already with minimal strength loss (2.5kg off my bench, 5kg off my squat for the last set and deadlift has actually increased).
My rotator cuff issues seem to have cleared up too, so I am benching again for the first time since before Xmas.
I'm also loving the fact that there is no commute to the gym and no waiting time for the equipment. The equipment I have isn't great (wobbly half rack and bar with poo poo knurling) but it is good enough to get a solid workout.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I've developed a very audible *click* in my left shoulder whenever I do OHP. It doesn't hurt, and I can't even feel anything in the same way you would if you cracked your knuckles, but it's still there. I wonder if I should get it checked out once this Covid-19 situation improves.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I've developed a very audible *click* in my left shoulder whenever I do OHP. It doesn't hurt, and I can't even feel anything in the same way you would if you cracked your knuckles, but it's still there. I wonder if I should get it checked out once this Covid-19 situation improves.
If there's no pain or discomfort and your form is on point I wouldn't even give it a second thought. Probably just crepitus.

Found a cheap rack on Walmart but it won't ship until June. Surely this thing will blow over by then...

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSPgAV-gbfg

Well this was a pretty cool watch.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

That's a cool build. Probably the best of all possible wooden squat racks. I don't know that I'd trust a wooden rack with all that much weight, but due to ankle injuries my days of squatting anything over 200 are probably in my past.

Then again my days of building anything are not in my past, present, or future. If you have tools and are good at things this is a cool build.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
A guy at my old gym just build a wooden rack and posted an Instagram video of him putting up a 800x5 squat. His rack looks absolutely bombproof though

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

New pr today boys: 5 pull-ups. 💪

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Batterypowered7 posted:

How old are you? If it doesn’t actively radiate pain, you’ll just spend money to have a doctor go “yuuuup, you old”

With age you just gain these new clicks and cracks and you just have to go “welp, that’s how it is from now on, forever”

Of course if you have free healthcare probably do get it checked out

I got clicks and cracks on my elbows, shoulders, one knee, lower back, neck... they just kinda start one day and never stop

Latest one seems to be developing on a hip, hope it’s not permanent

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
My feet audibly crack when I get out of bed and stand up in the morning. I like to think of it as my foot bones locking into place.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah theres pretty much no part of my body that doesn't make some weird sound at this point.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Fortunately at 33 years young, nothing cracks or pops just yet

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

My knees have been cracking since I was 22.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Failed for the first time at my 5x10 bench progression at 195. Feels bad. Probably would've made it with a spotter but oh well. Was really hoping I could get to 225 this way. I did deadlift at midnight last night so maybe I was a little worn down.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

my gym opens tomorrow :toot:

gotta take your temperature to get in, and you have to wear a mask lmao

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

have a good time!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

my gym opens tomorrow :toot:

gotta take your temperature to get in, and you have to wear a mask lmao

Yyyyyeah I’m gonna take a few months off the gym

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

the cool thing about covid is you can be asymptomatic for like 2 weeks and still die

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

The day my body doesn't make any sounds is the day I call the ambulance.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

These 45lb plates need to come back in stock so I can: 1) lift heavier, and 2) not have to go so loving low to grab the bar during deadlift.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I've been kinda struggling to work out regularly, or at least as regularly as before, due to being at work like 2 days a week instead of the 5-6 as before. Used to always work out for 1 hour after work, but not really been an option lately. Haven't stopped or anything but done less and feel guilty about it. It's dumb because because more free time could mean more time to work out but it hasn't worked out that way.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

doverhog posted:

I've been kinda struggling to work out regularly, or at least as regularly as before, due to being at work like 2 days a week instead of the 5-6 as before. Used to always work out for 1 hour after work, but not really been an option lately. Haven't stopped or anything but done less and feel guilty about it. It's dumb because because more free time could mean more time to work out but it hasn't worked out that way.

Working out at home is hard to work into the routine. I think it’s motivating to have others around as well even if I don’t know them.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I'd love to get another pair of 45s but I'm not looking forward to paying $3/lb or whatever. Shouldn't the used market be flooded with gyms going out of business...

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 2, 2020

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

I'd love to get another pair of 45s but I'm not looking forward to paying $3/lb or whatever. Shouldn't the used market be flooded with gyms going out of business...

The sporting goods chain I bought my set at sells 'em for X - $5, where X is the plate weight, but they're not in every state, and they sell out almost immediately.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16mjPhoch2s

maybe I won't get a cheap rack...

doverhog
May 31, 2013

bomb posted:

Working out at home is hard to work into the routine. I think it’s motivating to have others around as well even if I don’t know them.

That's not really the issue, I used to mostly work out at home before the pandemic too, just did it every time after getting home from work. Less work, general disruption of the routine. Drinking instead of working out, waking and sleeping at odd hours, that kind of thing. 1 month into it and still worked out last thursday tho, 100 40kg KB swings and 200 air squats with shortening breaks so all hope is not lost.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Batterypowered7 posted:

These 45lb plates need to come back in stock so I can: 1) lift heavier, and 2) not have to go so loving low to grab the bar during deadlift.

Back at ny old job we had a bunch of irregular plates, and in order not to go crazy I glued up two stacks of foot long boards and in effect made it a rack pull from standard deadlift height. Though I suppose I could have just seen it as an opportunity to practice deficit deadlifts.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

ovenboy posted:

Back at ny old job we had a bunch of irregular plates, and in order not to go crazy I glued up two stacks of foot long boards and in effect made it a rack pull from standard deadlift height. Though I suppose I could have just seen it as an opportunity to practice deficit deadlifts.

I have CAP brand plates that already run a little small as it is. Their 45s are 17" in diameter, so about an inch smaller than other plates. I rested a mirror against the wall next to where I lift so I can check my form and I can see my lower back rounding a little at the bottom of the deadlift because my largest plates are only 35s, and those are even smaller in diameter.

I was thinking about making a deadlifting platform (or something similar) and doing what you did, just rack pull from standard deadlift height.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mng5v3OEzA

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

holy poo poo that looked easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU