Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Some weapons are better in certain roles than others. There's definitely ones that work better in certain ranked modes than Turf War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Social Animal posted:

Is it late night where you're at? I think and I could be wrong, ranked games are local region only. I've noticed when I play at night ranked games tend to be harder to fill whereas regular turf war will fill up immediately with all Japanese players.

That would explain it then. I guess I'm so used to Tetris 99 where because of my hosed up sleep right now all my games are filled with Japanese players. Not having international ranked play is kinda lame though, I've definitely gotten better at T99 due to playing against beasts like Amemiya or Doremy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ranked is definitely not local region only

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

In Training posted:

Ranked is definitely not local region only

It will try to be, but because the pool for ranked is more limited, it will start moving outward and finding whoever it can to fill your games.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, it's region preference, but will expand to the globe if it can't find players in time. You can see this happening quite a few times in X rank (though not all the time) due to the smaller player pool up there.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I wish there was a way of knowing which team is going to be the popular one so you could not accidentally choose to be on it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys just a heads up if you meet someone who prefers Mayonnaise over Ketchup be sure to refuse to shake their hands and spit on their shoes.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Cactus posted:

I wish there was a way of knowing which team is going to be the popular one so you could not accidentally choose to be on it.

The answer is that Pearl is absolutely going to win because she's a little shitlord who designed the hellscape that is Camp Triggerfish and people love her for no good reason, so if you want to be on the winning team, pick Pearl. If you want to be on the correct team with the cool people that are more than aware that the system is rigged in boss baby's favor, then join Team Marina. Our queen is a weapon's expert who designed the best stages in the series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A recurring pattern was that Marina won the popular vote due to horny and Pearl wins by matches.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys just a heads up if you meet someone who prefers Mayonnaise over Ketchup be sure to refuse to shake their hands and spit on their shoes.

The first part was good quarantined behaviour, the second part not so much

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A recurring pattern was that Marina won the popular vote due to horny and Pearl wins by matches.

I am very horny for ketchup

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

Normally I'd say that it's American mayo that's trash but I don't think you're from there and aren't subjected to the goo they call mayonnaise so I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Coxswain Balls posted:

Normally I'd say that it's American mayo that's trash but I don't think you're from there and aren't subjected to the goo they call mayonnaise so I don't know what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Team ketchup is represented by Marina.

Marina is an octopus.

Make your choice.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's what I wanted to know. How not to be on the team that sometimes can't find a match and so has to play against it's own members all the time.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

In Training posted:

Clam blitz is fun in X but before then no one knows how to play

Glad to know this isn’t just me. I struggled so hard to get to X in clams and now that I’m there it’s... so much more fun. Clams is such a teamwork dependent game that if you can’t judge when to go for a push you have no chance. And nobody below X seems to be able to make that call.

Also mayo is not great but it has its purposes. Ketchup is just cloyingly sweet trash. Where’s my team mustard?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Mustard vs HP sauce.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Today I'm just brimming with ideas. Man I really need to get out of the house... :sigh:

Cactus posted:

Mustard vs HP sauce.
Deep space vs Deep ocean
Rook vs Knight
Hated, rich & remembered vs Loved, poor & forgotten
Toilet roll under vs Toilet roll over
Jupiter vs Saturn
Weed vs Booze
Death star vs Borg cube
Will vs Grace
Earthquake vs Hurricane
Tarantula vs Millipede
Piste vs Beach
Orange juice vs Lemonade
Leaf vs Root
Telescope vs Microscope
Nikita vs Michael Western
Meditation vs Excercise
Honest vs Secretive
Music vs Podcast
Train vs Boat
Chicken vs Lamb
Screen vs Page
Live fast die young vs Live long & prosper
Poppadoms vs Prawn crackers
Technically correct vs Happy to be wrong
Lockpick vs Battering ram
Whiskey vs Gin
Impenetrable shield vs Unstoppable force
Curtains vs Blinds
Archipelago vs Pangea

Alright since a lot of us are stuck inside lets :justpost:. Give your answers to some, all or none of these with a brief paragraph or two explaining why, along with which side Pearl and Marina would take. Have fun and remember: you're right, and those other idiots, they're wrong, and you need to tell them why!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pearl is definitely a live fast die young type.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Well yeah, she's rich as hell and doesn't really seem to care about anything except making terrible maps

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

She's deffo a booze girl as well, and I'd probably say Whiskey is her jam.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Lol jokes on you the only mayo we got here is American trash mayo, so Ketchup wins in my book. Sorry not all of us get to live in Bruxelles eating Pomme Frittes on a sunny morning.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Escobarbarian posted:

Remember that her.the outfit for Chaos was 'Memento Moray' AKA 'Memento Mori'='Remember, you will die'. There is a point. You can't keep things in stasis forever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cactus posted:

She's deffo a booze girl as well, and I'd probably say Whiskey is her jam.

That's canonically Isabelle

Pearl strikes me as more jagerbombs and vodka mixers

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's canonically Isabelle

Pearl strikes me as more jagerbombs and vodka mixers

Pearl drinks Kool-aid Jammers and juice boxes and will chomp down an edible brownie, wondering if it's "kicked in yet" and going bonkers, all while not realizing she just ate a normal brownie and she's a nightmare gremlin by default.

Marina would drink a whiskey sour as shelter from the ink storm.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Cactus posted:

Toilet roll under vs Toilet roll over

This has already been a splatfest.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Inu posted:

Team ketchup is represented by Marina.

Marina is an octopus.

Make your choice.

Oh god this was among one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make in my life, but the months I spent biking across Japan forces me to pledge allegiance to Team Mayo. I'm so sorry Marina

Is it also true that Pearl still doesn't know Marina's an octopus? That's what I got from some of the Off the Hook sessions and I thought that's hilarious.

Al-Saqr posted:

Lol jokes on you the only mayo we got here is American trash mayo, so Ketchup wins in my book. Sorry not all of us get to live in Bruxelles eating Pomme Frittes on a sunny morning.

I am so sad that you aren't able to enjoy one of life's pleasures by going to the Asian grocery to get the superior egg based condiment. Kewpie is love, Kewpie is life.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Coxswain Balls posted:

Is it also true that Pearl still doesn't know Marina's an octopus? That's what I got from some of the Off the Hook sessions and I thought that's hilarious.

So it's worth noting here that the Off the Hook segments are the girls playing characters that are similar to but not exactly the same as their actual personalities (they're idols, which means their image is a product and it's at least somewhat produced). You get a bit more of a candid look at them during the Octo Expansion, and I believe that makes it clear that Pearl knows seeing as Captain Cuttlefish shows her his dossier on Marina's history in the octarian army.

The Golux fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 3, 2020

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

The Golux posted:

So it's worth noting here that the Off the Hook segments are the girls playing characters that are similar to but not exactly the same as their actual personalities (they're idols, which means their image is a product and it's at least somewhat produced). You get a bit more of a candid look at them during the Octo Expansion, and I believe that makes it clear that Pearl knows seeing as Captain Cuttlefish shows her his dossier on Marina's history in the octarian army.

still a "holy poo poo lmao" moment that they put this into a nintendo game

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Crawfish posted:

This has already been a splatfest.

Haha I must've missed that one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some Splatfests are region-exclusive, a few are based on specifically very Japanese things and the international ones are more general. There's also been tie-in ones with Spongebob and Transformers.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Random load out Salmon Run is so great. Thank you Grizzco.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Zeruel posted:

still a "holy poo poo lmao" moment that they put this into a nintendo game

the octo expansion was worth it for this moment alone

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Dugong posted:

Grizzco slosher is powerful as heck and my friend

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Dugong posted:

I'm playing the demo and I already know that my place when I get a Squiffer is on grenade duty.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Coxswain Balls posted:

Oh god this was among one of the most difficult decisions I've ever had to make in my life, but the months I spent biking across Japan forces me to pledge allegiance to Team Mayo. I'm so sorry Marina

I am so sad that you aren't able to enjoy one of life's pleasures by going to the Asian grocery to get the superior egg based condiment. Kewpie is love, Kewpie is life.

Japanese mayo was a lot of the justification of choosing mayo for a lot of people, and I think that's a copout, because there are tons of amazing ketchups too but basic Hellman's vs basic Heinz is the idea.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Dugong posted:

its a hundred rotations in one, i love it

Tafferling posted:

I'm playing the demo and I already know that my place when I get a Squiffer is on grenade duty.
dont give up! the squiffer's a really good weapon. prioritise bosses and line up lessers with a fully-charged shot for massive damage. the piercing effect is also really valuable when youve got 5 cohocks and 10 chum in a row and you can erase them in two or three shots when it would take ages for a splattershot to do the same amount of work. if it was any better itd be a grizzco weapon in its own right, as it is i prefer it over the grizzco blaster or brella

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Smiles posted:

dont give up! the squiffer's a really good weapon. prioritise bosses and line up lessers with a fully-charged shot for massive damage. the piercing effect is also really valuable when youve got 5 cohocks and 10 chum in a row and you can erase them in two or three shots when it would take ages for a splattershot to do the same amount of work. if it was any better itd be a grizzco weapon in its own right, as it is i prefer it over the grizzco blaster or brella

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has found the insane power of this weapon in SR. The fact it has piercing at such a quick charge is mind boggling.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Smiles posted:

Yeah, the problem is that as a sniper I have no fallback plan if a boss gets on my face or miss a shot on a huge mob; I'd have to rely more on my teammates but at low levels I like weapons that I can instantly redirect on some random chums chewing my rear end and flee.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I had to go ketchup so that I could be on the same team as my 8year old son

:negative:

Every. loving. Time. Every time I come back to this game I realise I forgot how much fun it is, and I wonder why I ever played anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Bamboozler, Squiffer, and E-liter are pretty much the best sniper weapons in Salmon Run, with Bamboo being king. (Discounting the GrizzCo charger which is basically if the Bamboozler and E-liter had a glorious baby.)

Squiffer's a fantastic front liner that can dish out a ton of DPS at the cost of having the shortest range out of all the chargers.

E-liter is one of the best boss killers (RIP if you have to kill a Stinger with it though) and it has the best range in the game to boot. That said it isn't too great in situations where it's overwhelmed.

Bamboozler is the king of DPS, and its range stays the same no matter how long you charge. If you learn how to control the damage of your charged shots, you can do so much with it and shred everything to boot. If it had piercing, it'd be straight up overpowered. (That one period of time where they accidentally gave it piercing was a riot in Salmon Run.)