Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Joe Biden is Joe Biden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

relax-o-vision posted:

You guys are really starting to worry me. You're implying here that nazis are motivated by legitimate economic grievances. You're tiptoeing down the path towards saying they are "very good people." Like, you're aware that Trump voters in 2016 skewed wealthier than Clinton voters? People did not become neo-nazis because they couldn't pay their student loans. It has never been about economic anxiety. It was always, always racism. Please take a hard look at what you're implying when you humanize nazis like this.

I will never willingly allow nazis to hold power in my country. I understand that you are all taking a moral stand; please understand that I am also taking a moral stand. Good night.

So, to be clear, you believe that Donald Trump won both the primary and general elections because racism is popular?

From my standpoint, I see a lot of people scared that they will lose their house, scared they won't have enough to eat, scared they won't have a job to pay the rising bills, and Donald Trump offered them a solution. He said it was the Mexicans taking their jobs, it was the immigrants making them lose their wages and inflating the price of housing. Say what you want about racism, it offers solutions. Lies and idiocy, yes, but what else did they have to choose from?

One candidate is saying "Everything is fine, nothing to worry about" and another is saying "I will fix everything." Honestly, for people in trouble, the latter is far more appealing. Even if we assume that the former is a far more competent, more practiced executive, they won't do anything.

Donald Trump, for all his idiocy, recognized unrest in this country and addressed it. Hillary Clinton didn't. That's why Trump won. And it's also why Biden may well lose.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Joe Biden is Joe Biden.

hosed up if true

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Who cares if the current numbers are good (they aren't, not really), all that's needed is a few dribs and drabs in this state, or another to get another electoral college win, anything more is gravy.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

sexpig by night posted:

it's a really strong ad and trump is gonna spend the next six months murdering him with poo poo like that. Even when he fucks up and reminds us he's also an accused rapist his campaign will just release another mashup of every time an endorser supported metoo or whatever

Well it is going to hit right at the heart of who it is aimed at, suburban women. They broke from the GOP over Trump and the Kavinuaugh stuff. They are going to blast this from every rooftop from now until the election and it will likely have a very big effect on that demographic as they can vote for the party that they share more of their views with since both men are rapey monsters.

Frankly I don't see him making it to the election.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Generally speaking, the general is supposed to excite people about their candidates.

All we're getting are two rapists that will be lucky if their rallies break 5 figures in crowds. Especially with covid. Democrats are cowards.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Generally speaking, the general is supposed to excite people about their candidates.

All we're getting are two rapists that will be lucky if their rallies break 5 figures in crowds. Especially with covid. Democrats are cowards.
Yeah it's incredible that Biden shills can't offer a single positive affirmative reason he should be President other than he's owed a reward for molesting fewer women than Trump (that we know of)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Trump is the most popular president within his own party in as long as they've been tracking it lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Djarum posted:

Well it is going to hit right at the heart of who it is aimed at, suburban women. They broke from the GOP over Trump and the Kavinuaugh stuff. They are going to blast this from every rooftop from now until the election and it will likely have a very big effect on that demographic as they can vote for the party that they share more of their views with since both men are rapey monsters.

Listen here, Jack, for every suburban woman we lose we're gonna gain two blue-collar workers in the Rust Belt, and...oh wait. poo poo.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Cpt_Obvious posted:

So, to be clear, you believe that Donald Trump won both the primary and general elections because racism is popular?

From my standpoint, I see a lot of people scared that they will lose their house, scared they won't have enough to eat, scared they won't have a job to pay the rising bills, and Donald Trump offered them a solution. He said it was the Mexicans taking their jobs, it was the immigrants making them lose their wages and inflating the price of housing. Say what you want about racism, it offers solutions. Lies and idiocy, yes, but what else did they have to choose from?

One candidate is saying "Everything is fine, nothing to worry about" and another is saying "I will fix everything." Honestly, for people in trouble, the latter is far more appealing. Even if we assume that the former is a far more competent, more practiced executive, they won't do anything.

Donald Trump, for all his idiocy, recognized unrest in this country and addressed it. Hillary Clinton didn't. That's why Trump won. And it's also why Biden may well lose.

I think that racism has always existed in America and it’s had a natural home with the Republican Party after the realignment. I’d even go as far as saying that what really killed the new deal was when the democrats began trying to extend new deal benefits to blacks as well. I think southerners used to be super economically left wing but socially right wing and their identity trumped economics. They faced a choice and they decided they’d rather all starve and die than let black people have the same advantages and benefits that they have enjoyed.

However those people aren’t numerous enough to completely lock down the country into some kind of neoliberal dystopia. After the southern strategy you also have apathetic white folks in rust belt states who saw their incomes and livelihoods disappear. The opioid crisis is a reaction to the catastrophic loss of hope in these areas. In very very rough terms so it’s easy to explain I think 40% of america is racist, 20% just doesn’t care and the rest are pushing for a more equitable and inclusive society. Your fight is for the apathetic people.

This is where I think your post is accurate and it needs to be restated a million times.

People who aren’t normally racist (or just don’t care about race related issues) voted for Trump because he offered them solutions to their pain. He tapped into the “American Carnage” he described and seeing as america is pretty polarized it’s the apathetic folks in the middle who switched to Trump because he actually put something on the table.

When the general election reaches the centre of public attention this is why Trump will win. People will vote for him not because they trust him but because the democrats have nothing to offer and have no concrete values. They compromise it all away. Trump is at least saying things that make sense in catchy slogans and sound bytes.

If the left wants a chance in the future they’re not going to win by going in long winded rants about complex policy solutions. That’s not what politics is about. You keep those things in your back pocket and hire the right adviser and experts to push your economic alignment. Instead you keep it simple. You come up with powerful catchphrases and slogans that trend really well and mean something to everyone.

MAGA means a lot of things to different people. For some it’s a return to Jim Crow and segregation. For others it’s memories of when you could make 30 bucks an hour working in a steel mill and buy a 40-80,000 single detached home with a car on a single salary for your housewife.

Hope and Change meant different things to Obama too. Nobody on the left had a good catchphrase with broad appeal like that. For Bernie, “not me us” is good for the people who already liked him but did little to raise the appeal to others.

The fact of the matter is your plans and policies don’t mean poo poo to voters. Trump knows that. You Have to do the most intellectually bankrupt bread and circuses kind of charade to turn out voters who have the attention span of a puppy in a park full of squirrels.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Somfin posted:

The correct answer is that the only acceptable reaction to nazis is to destroy them and anyone who suggests otherwise needs to be considered a potential collaborator.

This.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They wanna say it's all racism but also refuse to acknowledge the big chunk of Obama voters that went to trump that absolutely cost Hillary the win, they have pudding for brains and are unable to see what is right in front of them, and will continue to out of self preservation because they've gone and done the same thing all over again

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Look if you're gonna call Joe Biden a rapist, just be honest about it. He is a pedophile with a breathtakingly long history of harassing, groping, sniffing, and assaulting girls and women. We will have to wait until the debates and Presidential Candidate Rape Trials to see if he or the president is the biggest rapist in the country

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's going to be weird viewing when MAGAchuds start advocating for aid for sexual assault survivors to own the libs.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Djarum posted:

I'm not so sure. I don't see how they could drop Biden before the convention and still keep Bernie from the nomination short of straight up declaring that votes don't matter, they do what they like. Which they don't want to do because they want to maintain the facade of legitimacy.

But the convention is in August. So they're gonna be saying Biden is good and women are liars through, May, June, and July. And at that point, gently caress it why not go all the way? Drag Biden's corpse to November, if he loses blame it on Bernie Bros and try again with Kamala or the Butt in 2024. Why not?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Things aren't looking good for the Democrat party today

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I'll be surprised if they survive at all after this. They'll be permanently the do nothing minority party with no values or goals.

Liberals basically.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

That ad is loving brutal.

One of the following is true:

Metoo was always a fraud. I can't support the party that weaponized it.

or

Metoo was real but the democrats are complete loving hypocrites about it. I can't support that either.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"Obama vetted him so he's all good" is especially funny because Obama's daughter interned with Weinstein

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

the_steve posted:

It's going to be weird viewing when MAGAchuds start advocating for aid for sexual assault survivors to own the libs.

Maybe our best shot at a progressive platform is to Br'er Rabbit the Republicans into it.

Noooo don't do M4A, Biden hates it!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1256609193777299456?s=20

Gotta love that two or three months ago Bernie was a horrible, sexist, misogynistic monster and every women's org (that all happen to be run by super wealthy neolibs, what a coincidence) was calling for Bernie to be #canceled. But ol' Gropey Joe? Nah it's fine that he's accused of assault, has molested dozens of children, and told a fourteen year old that her tits were lookin' great that day.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

RBA Starblade posted:

Not voting is acceptance of the status quo, a rapist in charge, or not caring what the outcome will be which is a rapist in charge.

There is no escape I'm afraid.

wait, when I didn't vote for hillary in 2016, I was actually supporting and accepting her?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Condiv posted:

wait, when I didn't vote for hillary in 2016, I was actually supporting and accepting her?

No, that was when you were supporting and accepting the fascist rapist Donald J Trump, not the liberal rapists wife KKKillery KKKlinton. Not the current liberal rapist mind you, that is who you were supporting when you voted for Obama.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Gripweed posted:

Yes but let's not be distracted from the fact that she fed her dog an entire human burrito for it's birthday, and did so by just putting the burrito on her rug inside. She didn't put it on the ground outside, or in the dog's bowl, or even on a plate. She just let the dog destroy a burrito all over her nice rug.

Someone with decision making skills like that should not be leading the party.

Make
The
Dog
President

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Okan170 posted:

I understand Biden is an awful rapist, but

Everyone is just going to have to loving deal with the fact that for a large pool of voters, nothing anyone could say beyond "but" matters enough to support Joe Biden.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Gumball Gumption posted:

1.5C is still a lot more death and destruction than we should feel comfortable calling acceptable. You're not wrong but I think people want to live in the world that "just ok" policies get them as much as the "bad" policies because they're going to hurt a lot.

Actually I prefer if the democrats lose to one of the most disgusting American candidates of all time twice with two different candidates, than being forced to vote for a creepy rape man with mostly poo poo policy. I'm tired of the blatant corruption that goes on and as someone who has voted downticket blue since 2008 (since I've turned 18), I'm done participating blindly. Also, frankly, the establishment democrats have proven to be hardly any better than the maga folks. I don't want to hear about judge picks, cabinet picks, etc. There is NOTHING holding biden to any promise, we all know he isn't going to survive his first year in, he's almost certainly going to pick hillary as VP, and put some number of replublicans in his cabinet. his voter record is horrible on any issue I care about, and even when it comes to roe v wade I do not trust that he will appoint someone who would uphold it. I don't want a corpse of a spider waiting to be eaten by its' children in the forms of the pete buttigeigs (literally the worst candidate out of either side when it comes to minorities) of the world.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Tonetta posted:

Actually I prefer if the democrats lose to one of the most disgusting American candidates of all time twice with two different candidates, than being forced to vote for a creepy rape man with mostly poo poo policy. I'm tired of the blatant corruption that goes on and as someone who has voted downticket blue since 2008 (since I've turned 18), I'm done participating blindly. Also, frankly, the establishment democrats have proven to be hardly any better than the maga folks. I don't want to hear about judge picks, cabinet picks, etc. There is NOTHING holding biden to any promise, we all know he isn't going to survive his first year in, he's almost certainly going to pick hillary as VP, and put some number of replublicans in his cabinet. his voter record is horrible on any issue I care about, and even when it comes to roe v wade I do not trust that he will appoint someone who would uphold it. I don't want a corpse of a spider waiting to be eaten by its' children in the forms of the pete buttigeigs (literally the worst candidate out of either side when it comes to minorities) of the world.

You seen this thread? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916038

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Ershalim posted:

You'd think that since voter suppression tactics typically favor republicans that the democrats themselves would support measures to diminish or alleviate the problems altogether (like ending felony disenfranchisement, making universal vote by mail required, pushing to make voting a federal holiday, etc.), but they don't push for those things collectively. Some (very, very few) do, but someone like Biden? Nah.

The reasons are up to interpretation a bit. Structurally it makes sense for the establishment to restrict voters based on means (via location, time, or information) because by and large the lower classes of the body politic would support less austerity and make rich people pay more, but that may be at once too cynical and too clever for the establishment itself. It might be inertia, or the idea that all good things must come with some kind of downside because culturally we've decided that that's what mature thinking entails.

e: I don't know what gymnastics lead to people like Pete Buttigieg saying we should stop sending people to jail for drug crimes, that the over punishment of crimes disproportionately effect black people, and that many people in prison shouldn't be there, but at the same time saying that felony disenfranchisement is a nonstarter. But his position is the mainstream one. :iiam:
Anyone that paid attention during the primary knows that the dems don’t care about fixing voter suppression or democracy for that matter.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

I'm not so sure. I don't see how they could drop Biden before the convention and still keep Bernie from the nomination short of straight up declaring that votes don't matter, they do what they like. Which they don't want to do because they want to maintain the facade of legitimacy.

But the convention is in August. So they're gonna be saying Biden is good and women are liars through, May, June, and July. And at that point, gently caress it why not go all the way? Drag Biden's corpse to November, if he loses blame it on Bernie Bros and try again with Kamala or the Butt in 2024. Why not?

In places like CA they're already inferring that Bernie dropping out means his delegates go to whoever the Democrat Party wants (in a generalized sense). So they can easily just discount Bernie because "he quit the race but X person only suspended their campaign or didn't run in the first place so we're awarding them the delegates Biden earned."

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

TrixR4kids posted:

Anyone that paid attention during the primary knows that the dems don’t care about fixing voter suppression or democracy for that matter.

They love voter suppression. They get to ignore poor and minority voters while also getting to blame the GOP for it!

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Mekchu posted:

In places like CA they're already inferring that Bernie dropping out means his delegates go to whoever the Democrat Party wants (in a generalized sense). So they can easily just discount Bernie because "he quit the race but X person only suspended their campaign or didn't run in the first place so we're awarding them the delegates Biden earned."

Andrew on OA goes into the rules in some depth, what the next options are etc. https://www.patreon.com/posts/oa382-bernie-was-36603893

You are correct, but there are a number of signs that this is unlikely.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlueBlazer posted:

Andrew on OA goes into the rules in some depth, what the next options are etc. https://www.patreon.com/posts/oa382-bernie-was-36603893

You are correct, but there are a number of signs that this is unlikely.

I mean my post was purely theoretical and hypothetical. One potential direction is that Biden steps down, but is able to convince his delegates to back say Pete or whoever which gives them more leverage than Bernardo Sanders.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Considering more than half the country won't even get to vote in the Primary, I think we're kind of throwing the rules out the window.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

TrixR4kids posted:

Voter suppression and gerrymandering is like one of the few areas where dems are probably going to actually do something. Considering the way trump and the GOP have been rolling out various attempts at different voter suppression schemes (which will only get worse with support from the trump installed judiciary) it's pretty close to becoming a existential threat to keep their grift going for a lot of dems, and certainly a lot of the DNC leadership. They'll likely fight to keep that going.

e: vv yeah, but voter suppression mostly targets minorities, who the dems need in a lot of places, and generally dems generally gerrymander to benefit dems

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 2, 2020

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Voter suppression and gerrymandering is like one of the few areas where dems are probably going to actually do something. Considering the way trump and the GOP have been rolling out various attempts at different voter suppression schemes (which will only get worse with support from the trump installed judiciary) it's pretty close to becoming a existential threat to keep their grift going for a lot of dems, and certainly a lot of the DNC leadership. They'll likely fight to keep that going.

Gerrymandering isn't just a Republican thing, both sides do it pretty extensively. It's not going away.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

SorePotato posted:

Look if you're gonna call Joe Biden a rapist, just be honest about it. He is a pedophile with a breathtakingly long history of harassing, groping, sniffing, and assaulting girls and women. We will have to wait until the debates and Presidential Candidate Rape Trials to see if he or the president is the biggest rapist in the country

Rapist in Chief

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Gerrymandering means safe Dem seats which means that you don't have to give a poo poo about what your constituents want in order to get reelected so the Dem establishment has to love that poo poo.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Really quite amazing seeing claims that dems will address voter suppression while the dems are literally canceling primaries

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

Condiv posted:

Really quite amazing seeing claims that dems will address voter suppression while the dems are literally canceling primaries

It's the same kind of wish fulfillment fantasy most Trump supporters have, just for different things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mekchu posted:

I mean my post was purely theoretical and hypothetical. One potential direction is that Biden steps down, but is able to convince his delegates to back say Pete or whoever which gives them more leverage than Bernardo Sanders.

or even just the natural inclination of non-goon Biden delegates, no-to-little convincing needed