Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zero VGS posted:

Best comparison I can think of is Undertale, people who were fans were like "yeah this is a once in a lifetime thing, no way will a followup live up to that standard", and then the guy released Deltarune Chapter 1 outta loving nowhere and for free. Some people are genuises at knowing what their own audience wants better than their own audience does.

IIRC, apparently Deltarune is closer to the original project Tobyfox wanted to do but didn't have the budget/confidence for, while Undertale made as a less ambitious, more self-contained project reusing (and remixing) some of the same ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I actually doubt that they'd make another similar game as a follow up due to how troublesome development was and the fact that their publisher is Humble which means that even though their game sold very well for an indie project they're probably not sharing in the profit as much as you would expect.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Zero VGS posted:

Best comparison I can think of is Undertale, people who were fans were like "yeah this is a once in a lifetime thing, no way will a followup live up to that standard", and then the guy released Deltarune Chapter 1 outta loving nowhere and for free. Some people are genuises at knowing what their own audience wants better than their own audience does.
Are people enthusiastic about Deltarune? Why?

Edit - I mean, I'm sure the full game might have... something. But the first chapter doesn't.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Xander77 posted:

Edit - I mean, I'm sure the full game might have... something. But the first chapter doesn't.

Which of the voices in Harry's head is most likely to be the one to angrily shout "YOU JUST POSTED CRINGE"? Working on a little edit, totally unrelated to this post I promise.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Which of the voices in Harry's head is most likely to be the one to angrily shout "YOU JUST POSTED CRINGE"? Working on a little edit, totally unrelated to this post I promise.

For some reason, I want to say EC.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'd say Volition, followed by Mental Damage.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Limbic System

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I really like this game.

It's beautiful and sad and lonely. But it is in a very real way a fantastic way of revealing what we want.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Half light.

or Pain Threshold

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Somewhere the wind blows through an open window in a rundown apartment. A man reads your post. The city exhales.

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 2, 2020

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Your post: Why did you make me so bad, father?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah the writing is good enough that I have full confidence they can make another amazing game whatever the setting. There's no reason it won't be good if it's in the same world and given the amount of worldbuilding that's gone into it I'd be extremely surprised if it isn't.

Same. It's all down to the writing, and lord knows there are authors who can write more than one good book. Whoever crafted the plot of DE and the dialogue and theming is incredibly talented, and the actual gameplay systems are not complicated (if anything, they're a little underdeveloped in DE). It's just a question of whether or not they can come up with another interesting story to tell, and just from all the hooks in DE there's obviously already places they're thinking about exploring.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Out of curiosity, what comes to mind for you when this song starts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u_2BcmMDq8

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Captain Splendid posted:

Out of curiosity, what comes to mind for you when this song starts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u_2BcmMDq8

So did I complete the computer tape program quest or not? All the dialogue has been used. What was the conclusion to this poo poo?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Animal-Mother posted:

So did I complete the computer tape program quest or not? All the dialogue has been used. What was the conclusion to this poo poo?

I think using the password on the financial records back in the offices is really more of just an easter egg? Like "look at how long of a text string this engine supports".

wit
Jul 26, 2011

DropsySufferer posted:

I do not want a sequel. This is a once in a decade game I don't expect them to catch lighting in a bottle twice. The expectations for the sequel will be too high and there is no possible way thet can be reached.

The best possible scenario is that the company that made DE makes another brand new game in a different world with a different setting. That way there won't be the same level of impossible expectation.

I want a novel or comic written in the voice of shivers and limbic.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Can't figure out why I can't get The Suicide of Kras Mazov to trigger when I look at his bust in the appartement and talk to Kim. I've got Mazovian Socio-Economics already, and according to the stats on the right side of the Journal screen, 26 points or whatever in Communist. I can't seem to find another prerequisite.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Xander77 posted:

Well, did you play Undertale? I haven't heard of many people who enjoyed that and didn't enjoy Deltarune Chapter 1. It was a fun romp that captured a lot of the same magic while gracefully introducing new story and gameplay concepts, and even came up with a few more bangin' tracks.

Like, go back and find the SA thread when Deltarune first came out, people were losing their poo poo that it was a free game, people were realizing it was much more substantial than a demo, it had the power of fluffy boys etc.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Zero VGS posted:

Well, did you play Undertale? I haven't heard of many people who enjoyed that and didn't enjoy Deltarune Chapter 1. It was a fun romp that captured a lot of the same magic while gracefully introducing new story and gameplay concepts, and even came up with a few more bangin' tracks.
Yeah. Got the pacifist ending, checked out the LP for the other route, consumed the wiki.

I honestly have no idea what people found appealing about Deltarune. There's very little there.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

SweetBro posted:

I actually doubt that they'd make another similar game as a follow up due to how troublesome development was and the fact that their publisher is Humble which means that even though their game sold very well for an indie project they're probably not sharing in the profit as much as you would expect.

actually, the leader of the group already did interviews with what they want to do in the future. they want a baldur's gate 2 to the DE's baldur's gate one: DE was just an experiment trying to find a way to make the combat-less RPG work. That's why it was so troubled, they struggled hard with making the ideas work. Now, they would refine it and focus on telling an even better story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0-W5erEXw

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Isn’t a combatless RPG just a point-and-click adventure game?

I love DE, but the idea that the core gameplay is innovative is a little silly. The game shines because of its writing, worldbuilding, and visual style. It’s doing an existing genre really well!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's a novel implementation of XP, stats, and skills, if nothing else.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 3, 2020

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The fact that it has few or any 'mandatory' abilities to avoid hard-gating your progress and actually makes every build viable is actually pretty impressive from a mechanical standpoint.

MidnightHailstorm
Feb 10, 2014

dex_sda posted:

actually, the leader of the group already did interviews with what they want to do in the future. they want a baldur's gate 2 to the DE's baldur's gate one

So, I realize I may be just about the only person who would actually prefer a direct sequel with the same cast, following up with the sequel hook that was left at the end of the game, and that while this is unlikely to happen, the specific mention of having a Baldur's Gate 2 style follow up does give me a little bit of silly, unfounded hope. :3:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MidnightHailstorm posted:

So, I realize I may be just about the only person who would actually prefer a direct sequel with the same cast, following up with the sequel hook that was left at the end of the game, and that while this is unlikely to happen, the specific mention of having a Baldur's Gate 2 style follow up does give me a little bit of silly, unfounded hope. :3:

They did put out a message saying to hold on to your save game so I wouldn't be surprised if they do some sort of "the next morning" type thing. Nothing massive but a little hour or so of content that would be dusting off the events of the previous day, like telling Lena about the mantis and showing them the picture if you got it, that sort of thing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

whydirt posted:

no

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

whydirt posted:

I love DE, but the idea that the core gameplay is innovative is a little silly. The game shines because of its writing, worldbuilding, and visual style. It’s doing an existing genre really well!

What? No, it's an RPG.

They're not defined by combat. You're doing checks and working with stats all the time, it's totally different from a point-and-click adventure. It's not like you just get a thought called "communism" and use it on a communist character to "solve" their dialog. The way that all these things are filtered through systems in order to affect dialog is what makes it an RPG by any definition.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

whydirt posted:

There's a design space for tabletop rpgs without combat and DE proves there's a place for it in videogames too.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The setting is far too juicy to abandon in a sequel. I don't need to play as Harry again, but I'd like to. RCM communist uprising, baby!

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
For what it's worth, here's one of their sequel ideas

quote:

An end goal of theirs is for the sequel to have a second main protagonist. Rather than Disco Elysium’s middle aged male cop, players could choose to be a pregnant woman, about five months along, which Kurvitz says would be an “incredible writing challenge” within Disco Elysium’s very weird, very internalised system of skills and thoughts. “It would be unbelievable to use our skill system to speak about the bodily sensations of having another organism inside of you, while you’re in the setting and talking to another person.” I call that quite a spicy meatball.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
That would own but only if they actually hire or consult a bunch of moms and pregnant women. Media getting pregnancy poo poo wrong really bugs me.

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
Lmao I believe the next paragraph of the article is how they would only do it if there was a pregnant woman on the team. Woke

Also, poking around from the game's early dev, I think they wanted to experiment with a companion/protagonist that was bound to a wheelchair & couldn't go everywhere? I'm on board with whatever they do next

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that was lena, wasn't it? there's screenshots of her in the party

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

that was lena, wasn't it? there's screenshots of her in the party

Yeah. IIRC the idea got cut because of the problems inherent in making the enough of the map believably wheelchair accessible.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

FalconImpala posted:

Lmao I believe the next paragraph of the article is how they would only do it if there was a pregnant woman on the team. Woke

Also, poking around from the game's early dev, I think they wanted to experiment with a companion/protagonist that was bound to a wheelchair & couldn't go everywhere? I'm on board with whatever they do next

Thank god haha. That would be awesome.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Khizan posted:

Yeah. IIRC the idea got cut because of the problems inherent in making the enough of the map believably wheelchair accessible.

Just give her rockets

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ragnar34 posted:

I'm down for whatever they put out, but I'd like to see a completely different story in the same genre of games, whatever it is. "Good visual novel?" "True RPG?"

Kentucky Route Zero is in the same 'genre' as this game but it isn't an RPG. You get a lot of influence on the game through dialogue options. As an early example, you're selecting a character's responses during a phone conversation. But you can only see their response options, not what the person on the other end of the phone is saying, so it's up to you to pick the dialogue options that make for a satisfying story for you.

The Council is another spin on a no-combat-system RPG with stats and solving mysteries. It plays like a Telltale game, not a point-and-click. It also starts off shaky and goes very poorly off the deep end with really uneven episodes and shoddy production so it's hard to recommend, but I thought it was neat before Disco Elysium came out and it shows there are other developers thinking about this sort of thing.

Torment: Tides of Numenera is basically a worse attempt at this game in a fantasy setting. There's a rudimentary combat system but the game is designed so that combat is easily avoidable; you can be a Glaive (fighter), Jack (rogue) or Nano (mage) and Nano is obviously the superior choice because it gives you more points to spend on being smart in dialogues as well as wizard-powers in fights and then you can just recruit other people to be your fighters.

Unavowed is nothing really like this game but it is a good point-and-click adventure. Imagine a Bioware-esque game (missions, selectable party members, you get to choose your character's gender and backstory) except it's put into an urban fantasy point and click.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Finally finished this game after kind of bouncing off it back in January. The middle of the game was extremely good, and I was glued to the screen all the way up to the tribunal. The ending felt... a little lacking.

Was it seriously all caused by a giant stick bug mind controlling an old commie sniper? :wtc:

Definitely gonna have to do another run of it though, I hosed up on a LOT of things.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Definitely whatever the opposite of Drama is.

Drama is the essence of cringe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Fister Roboto posted:

Was it seriously all caused by a giant stick bug mind controlling an old commie sniper? :wtc:

You... can interpret it that way, but it robs the commie sniper of a lot of his agency. I don't think you can argue he wouldn't have taken certain shots if it weren't for the insect, anyway.