Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

anakha posted:

'That was a pathetic marching performance in Junon. No wonder you never made it into SOLDIER, Cloud.'

...yes, that loving minigame still haunts me.

That marching minigame is such bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Did you truly believe you were riding a magic dolphin to the heights of Junon, Cloud?

*static that cuts to Sephiroth gracefully backflipping in the water, launching Cloud into the air*

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
to be fair you could read that minigame being bullshit as intentional foreshadowing

the marching one, I mean, not the dolphin

Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 2, 2020

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Nailed it, I know, moving on" really is his best line in the game :allears:.

On one hand yes, on the other hand "Really sorry about your rear end"

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They've done a wonderful job of Cloud lightening up and growing as a person throughout the game, rather than just bee-lining into :emo: Advent Children Cloud. Of all the things he could say when reunited with Tifa in Don Corneo's Mansion, "Nailed it, I know, moving on" really is his best line in the game :allears:.

I love when after you get the dress, you're suddenly controlling Aerith and he's walking away from her, in dead silence, and does that same little walk he does in the original. Also when you get the standard hand massage and he's not controllable anymore because he's too busy flexing. Both of these implying that when he gets too distracted, he isn't playable.

Which would be an interesting way to play out later scenes.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BaDandy posted:

At some point way later in the remake, instead of going into the Northern Crater where Sephiroth gives Cloud and Tifa that vision, the game fakes out a force quit, or the tv looks like it shuts off, in the vein of Eternal Darkness sanity effects.

Undertale did this really well. I dunno if AAA games still do this kinda thing

Edit: wait actually this game takes a 20 year old tent pole of a genre and then makes you kill the plot, so I guess AAA games do still break the 4th wall

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gologle posted:

That marching minigame is such bullshit.

It's literally impossible to do it perfectly, right? That's the assumption I've been operating on for the last 23 years at least

Pollyanna posted:

After ruminating on my OG replay god drat do I want the rest of this remake so bad. I'm fine if it's not the same story, the original already exists and is perfectly good. I just want more FF7.

Yeah as long as it at least goes to the same locations and involves the same people it'll still tickle that nostalgia for me. And I mean, it has to, because even if it's a different story now, it still takes place on the same planet

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HD DAD posted:

“Did you truly believe you were riding a magic dolphin to the heights of Junon, Cloud?

*static that cuts to Sephiroth gracefully backflipping in the water, launching Cloud into the air*

"You never could commit to breeding the golden chocobo could you Cloud?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Undertale did this really well. I dunno if AAA games still do this kinda thing

Edit: wait actually this game takes a 20 year old tent pole of a genre and then makes you kill the plot, so I guess AAA games do still break the 4th wall

I mean, I feel like almost every Japanese game developer played Undertale by now, so you never know.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

I mean, I feel like almost every Japanese game developer played Undertale by now, so you never know.

If instead of "One Winged Angel" "Megalovania" revs up for the final battle I will actually poo poo my pants.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Flopsy posted:

If instead of "One Winged Angel" "Megalovania" revs up for the final battle I will actually poo poo my pants.

They've already blown their load with One Winged Angel so I wouldn't be surprised if there was different music at the end. Maybe some NIN?

night slime
May 14, 2014

precision posted:

Speaking of which, what happens if you have Barret equipped with a melee weapon during a cutscene where he shoots at something?

I actually remember his model inexplicably switching from Wrecking Ball to a regular gun at one point, I'm pretty sure. I think it might have been from replaying one of the chapters where he doesn't have the melee weapons yet.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I could be misremembering but I think you can still shoot maximum fury skill with a melee weapon, it looks odd

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You certainly can, and it makes Barret's melee weapons much more viable since you can still gun down fliers if there's a pressing need.

night slime
May 14, 2014
I found the video I took of it - it's the elevator portion when Shinra is watching from the beginning of the game. Whole gun totally changes to the default one which is like twice as long, haha. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAmUN1vzgAY

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Aerith's weapon also changes to the default during the sewer sequence, when she and Tifa need to pull Cloud up. I assume they'd be less successful if Cloud had to grab onto a big blade.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like that when she joins the party as good, if not way better (depending on how much side stuff you've done) than Cloud at just deleting crowds of mooks without even using MP

I highly recommend pretty much never directly controlling Cloud, everyone else is too much fun

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

night slime posted:

I found the video I took of it - it's the elevator portion when Shinra is watching from the beginning of the game. Whole gun totally changes to the default one which is like twice as long, haha. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAmUN1vzgAY

Lmao that’s pretty funny. I think the vast majority of the cutscenes are rendered in real-time, but I think some are pre-rendered in-engine to cut down on loading times if they switch between locations quickly or something. And those pre-rendered ones use the default weapons.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Lmao that’s pretty funny. I think the vast majority of the cutscenes are rendered in real-time, but I think some are pre-rendered in-engine to cut down on loading times if they switch between locations quickly or something. And those pre-rendered ones use the default weapons.

As far as I can tell, only the intro, collapsing plate, shinra museum cutscenes and the ending itself are prerendered

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
And I think the in-game models ended up looking better than the pre-rendered stuff.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

How have I just played through the original game up to the plate falling in a single brief sitting. It all seemed so much longer in 1997.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Schwartzcough posted:

And I think the in-game models ended up looking better than the pre-rendered stuff.

Agreed. It looks like the CGI models were based off of different, maybe earlier drafts of the characters. Aerith basically switches races between that and in-game models.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Agreed. It looks like the CGI models were based off of different, maybe earlier drafts of the characters. Aerith basically switches races between that and in-game models.

Square changed some of the models really, really, really late on, like weeks before release

There are comparison videos of Aerith in the release(?) trailer and the actual game itself, markedly different models

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
That's gotta be some subtle-rear end poo poo. They look the same to me, outside of having a different expression.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The eyes and eyebrows are pretty different

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You do know eyes and eyebrows move and widen as a human's expression changes, right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yes, but even taking that into account you can tell they're different, sheesh

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I really cant tell the difference. Like looking at the bridge of the nose as the focal point, both look the same. The distance between the nose and the mouth looks the same, the distance between the bridge of the nose and the eyes look the same. The distance between the mouth and the chin looks the same. The eyes, lashes and brow look a tiny bit different but given everything else I'm going to attribute it to how the face is slightly squinting from the animation in the left vs the more relaxed in the right.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

precision posted:

Yes, but even taking that into account you can tell they're different, sheesh

Uh....nooot really?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The characters have an uncanny-valley look to them regardless. maybe aerith more so than most because she's supposed to be not fully human anyway.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The only one who looks notably different to me is Sephiroth, his pre-rendered scenes has more of the angular, elegant look that the early FF7 art showed, whereas the in-engine version of him looks a lot creepier - he's got a more rounded face and a slightly more sallow / sunken-eyed look.

Which is possibly intentional given the scene at the edge of creation?

Also random side note but did anyone else think the modeling work on Seph's hair was kinda bad? Like I know long flowing hair is one of the hardest things to properly render in a modern engine but the scene at the end where he steps into the portal just had it moving around like it was made of several solid flaps. It was weirdly distracting given how goddamn good everything looks.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I started on hard today, only intending to do a couple chapters a day, ended up playing all the way up to the airbuster, beating it and getting up to the point of getting sidequests in the next chapter. If I want to get all the trophies then I have to do this and the next chapter a bunch on hard right cause each sidequest gives a manuscript and I'll have to not do them on one playthrough to get the worst dress for Aerith? I think I got the dresses for doing all the sidequests for Aerith and Tifa so I've kind of doomed myself to doing this a few times now.

Would the best/most efficient way just be to bite the bullet now, do all of the side quests on hard in Chapter 8 so I get all the manuscripts and Aeriths best dress again and get a different Cloud dress (I picked a different Tifa dress already) and then at some point play through it again on normal in the future? Chapter 9 has the mutually exclusive side quests so there's no avoiding replaying that on hard if I want all the manuscripts.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 3, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Weirdly enough the Airbuster on Hard was easier than on Normal. On Normal it was the first fight I had to use like 10 hi potions in, but to be fair I was dumb and picked the treasures instead of weakening the thing. I assumed one of the treasures would be a rare Materia or something, not just potions

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I wonder if the devs intended Chaerith to turn into a giant meme

not that I am complaining at all, mind

https://twitter.com/Starlightchi/status/1251976570849251328

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

So I started on hard today, only intending to do a couple chapters a day, ended up playing all the way up to the airbuster, beating it and getting up to the point of getting sidequests in the next chapter. If I want to get all the trophies then I have to do this and the next chapter a bunch on hard right cause each sidequest gives a manuscript and I'll have to not do them on one playthrough to get the worst dress for Aerith? I think I got the dresses for doing all the sidequests for Aerith and Tifa so I've kind of doomed myself to doing this a few times now.

Would the best/most efficient way just be to bite the bullet now, do all of the side quests on hard in Chapter 8 so I get all the manuscripts and Aeriths best dress again and get a different Cloud dress (I picked a different Tifa dress already) and then at some point play through it again on normal in the future? Chapter 9 has the mutually exclusive side quests so there's no avoiding replaying that on hard if I want all the manuscripts.

You can get the manuscripts without completing the quests. The manuscripts are tied to defeating the key monsters, so you can do that and just not talk to the people after that would mark the quest as complete.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Getting the worst dress for Aerith is kind of depressing, she feels awful about it. Oh well, completionist!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ugh the kids in chapter 8 are even worse in Japanese

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Is there a way to still get the Tifa theme by buying candy bars?

The PS4 is under my wife's account, and she doesn't feel like going through the hassle of creating a Japan PS4 account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Those Sephiroth theories from a few pages back are some Twin Peaks poo poo (in a good and glorious way). We're dealing with Mr. C, Dale Cooper and Dougie all at once here.