Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you're bringing a couple mk 5 belts of raws from a train station into one of those clean living sub floored walled in mega factory you're not going to be making something that isn't like a bus.

But the product mix and ratios are such you usually end up with more self terminating branches without any need to feed common goods forward.

It's another good point the bus in Factorio is very much your warehouse to buffer ups and downs when you forget to add more raw material capacity. Once you ratio a line in Satisfactory it's steady state barring any power outages.

I wouldn't call it limited as much as less dynamic that way. There's still different approaches on how you approach raw vs intermediate transport, trains, trucks, or belts. If you want to split hairs you can do some things with the overflowing fractions when the ratios don't exactly align and that's probably the closest you get to bus like behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Re: the earlier chat about youtube streamers, Zisteau is a pretty good factorio guy who just started a satisfactory run. Excited to see what that maniac gets up to

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Someone earlier was asking for some binoculars. That's actually (sorta) ingame already. Press P to enter Photo Mode, which is nominally for taking pictures but does have a zoom capability and thus can work as binoculars.

I've been trying out mods (this is actually one of the easiest games in the world for modding cuz the mod launcher has a list of all the mods and you can just pick right there. No finding and downloading files on your own! It even just has a button to update them!) and have some recommendations:

MiniMap: It's a minimap, toggleable with the m key. Requires you to have unlocked the map to use. A good QoL mod.

Refined Power: Has a bunch of alternate power generation methods, ranging from simple windmills and watermills to an "arc reactor" (seems to be a fusion reactor from the inputs and setup) and, lol, a "dyson sphere" that works more like some kinda mass-to-energy system. Items go in, power comes out. It offers some interesting alternatives, but the watermills are likely too powerful/effective considering how much of the map edges are oceans. It'd also be nice if it had solar, if windmills had variable production, and storage options were included to deal with all that. Still, if you want more power options, power options yet more complicated than nuclear, or to go green instead of burning fossil fuels, this is a good mod. The models all fit the style and detail of vanilla stuff, and aside from potentially watermills it's reasonably balanced compared to vanilla.

ExoSuit Mod: Blade runners + jetpack in one body item. Costs 50 computers to unlock and 50 computers to build. I mostly mention this cuz I think it should be built out of 1-2 blade runners, 1-2 jetpacks, some computers and some motors and/or heavy modular frames. The cost is still greater than either blade runners or the jetpack and thus appropriately balanced, but just to fit the style of how other poo poo gets built in this game it should take more than computers alone. Jetpack + exoskeleton made entirely of computers? Seems off. Still, though, no more juggling between blade runners and jetpack. A good QoL mod.

Calculator: Push F12 in game to get a calculator. No unlock, nothing to build, no inventory slot. You just... have a calculator. Works with the mouse or the numpad. This should be in the base game.

Light It Up: It has lights you can build. Some of them are power-and-light pole combos. Some are light only poles that need to be wired to a power pole. Some are some wall or ceiling lights that only need to be within radius of a power provider that is itself wired to a power pole. Some burn fuel in case you need some light away from a power grid. They vary wildly in effectiveness and generally should all be both brighter and illuminate a larger area than they do. Especially for lights that are nominally burning multiple MEGAWATTS. The models are also a little off. Still, the base game needs some drat lights and this mod, for all its flaws, has lights. They work, they are lights. I no longer am lord over a multiple gigawatt power network and yet consigned to darkness due to electric lighting being a lost technology, somehow.

Farming Mod: Has farming/cooking stuff. Limestone can be turned into seed (yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's a resource already on the map that is both currently under-utilized and yet still provides a limit on how much you can scale farming mod stuff so it works) which can be used alone or with water for vastly increased effectiveness in automated farming domes. These domes can produce a handful of outputs that ultimately boil down to cotton (makes cloth when combined with biomass - more on this later), flower petals, crops that can be combined in a cooker to make bread/pies (restore 1 health when eaten), or crops combined in a composter to make fertilizer. Fertilizer has two main uses; it can make biomass (to combine with the cotton to make fabric, or for other uses) or be used to boost growth of other crops, including yosse berries which can only be grown via fertilizer input. Yosse berries combine with wheat (a biodome crop) in a cooker to make berry muffins, which can themselves be combined in a manufacturer together with other biodome crops to make vanilla medicinal inhalers. So the end results of all this are fabric and medicinal inhaler automated production, with the added caveat that biomass can be mass produced from limestone. Note that an alt hdd recipe allows making biomass into coal. The current fertilizer -> biomass production ratio on this mod is, imho, waaaaay too high. Even without the hdd recipe allowing effectively limestone = unlimited coal in this, the mod alone with no hdd recipes allows biomass -> solid biofuel + water -> liquid biofuel, and even that would be too effective with the current fertilizer -> biomass ratio. The models need some tweaking too, but overall aside from the one conversion being way too generous, the ideas are good and some kinda farming thing should be in the base game.

Chainsaw Mk2: It's a better chainsaw. Faster animation, larger AoE, uses fuel instead of solid biofuel. Appropriate unlock/build costs. Solid QoL mod.

WFurniture: Seems to be abandoned, hasn't been updated since March. The idea was to port a buncha creative commons furniture models, to be unlocked/built outta wood, fabric, etc. All the unlocks are in but only T1, wood furniture, is actually in game to build. Decorative furniture's a good idea, hopefully this gets picked up again and continued/updated, either this project or a spiritual successor.

Synthetic Paint: Lets you combine polymer resin and water to make paintgun cartridges. Sure, why not? Hasn't been updated since March but I suppose there's not a lot of rapid development needed for something so basic and singular. It works; it's "done."

Big Statues: Makes the statues bigger. They're expensive. They should be bigger. :colbert: You can also build a given statue multiple times once it is unlocked. These features are unlocked for 50 tickets.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

is there a mod that just lets you color code things rather than have to do every single little bit of everything one at a time because thats tedious as hell

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

TK-42-1 posted:

is there a mod that just lets you color code things rather than have to do every single little bit of everything one at a time because thats tedious as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkCotblXfUs

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I’d love to see a mod that lets you use the chainsaw as a melee weapon. Fit it between the xeno-zapper and -basher in DPS, it would just be cool and convenient if you get jumped while harvesting.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

I’d love to see a mod that lets you use the chainsaw as a melee weapon. Fit it between the xeno-zapper and -basher in DPS, it would just be cool and convenient if you get jumped while harvesting.

Lol the first thing I did when I got the chain saw was try and attack a creature, so disappointing

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

There's a payday2 meme about this, they added a chainsaw as a melee weapon and tried to talk it up as being "MADNESS" to use a chainsaw and it did less melee damage than a shitload of other options including police batons and 80s oversized cellular phones. They added a chainsaw as a melee weapon to a game, and it was an unambiguously worse melee weapon than a baseball bat.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

holy poo poo. just. wow. ok thanks

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Meanwhile in Empyrion the chainsaw is the only melee weapon in the game and is actually pretty decent at killing wildlife, mostly because it stunlocks smaller critters. Definitely not a replacement for a good shotgun but you could do worse in early game.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Apparently they added splitter overflow in experimental mode...haven't tried it out but sounds like exactly what some of you were asking for:
https://www.reddit.com/r/satisfactory/comments/gd1s41/new_smart_splitters_are_a_game_changer/

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I used to think Power Shards were the best so I could overclock buildings, you all told me that alternate recipes were better. You all were so right. I just unlocked the coke steel recipe and now I'm swimming in steel where before I never quite had enough.

I'm on a hunt for Encased Steel Pipes now because I can make them faster than beams

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I tend to find power shards more useful if I need to fine tune things, like nudge one constructor up to 110% to get the right ratio for an assembler. Trying to, say, bring a regular Reinforced Iron Plate assembler to Bolted Iron Plate output levels with just power shards gets prohibitively expensive quick - if you don’t retool the whole assembly line you’re left cramming shards into everything, miners and generators included.

They’re pretty cool for overcharging power plants, though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Overclock your miners. Underclock everything else.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

nielsm posted:

Overclock your miners and geothermal power. Underclock everything else.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I really like how underclocking an assembler to 50% makes it use 33% power. It gives you a choice: do you want 1 machine processing stuff at 100% speed for 100% energy usage, or do you want 2 machines, occupying twice the space, for a total of 100% speed for ~67% power usage.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I guess, but once you have a jet pack or a creative handle on jump pads, the answer is always build upwards.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

zedprime posted:

I guess, but once you have a jet pack or a creative handle on jump pads, the answer is always build upwards.

Not for stuff that needs to involve fluids. You don't want to transport fluids vertically, unless you love making huge banks of bottlers/unbottlers and having to also manage a backflow of empty containers, or you love building massive arrays of pumps, or spiraling trains upwards is your thing.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hmmm, what's in the Satisfactory update? It's updating right now (EA not experimental version).

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Mayveena posted:

Hmmm, what's in the Satisfactory update? It's updating right now (EA not experimental version).

Appears to just be a bug-fix, but I'm bad at finding information, and their official site/twitter doesn't have info yet

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Spectacle Lake Coal Power Facility, a fine 64-generator facility fed by 4 mk3 miners on normal nodes, for a total output of 4.8 GW but alas it is not enough and the breaker has tripped.

I hit up all 16 geothermal vents on the map for another 3.2 GW. I hadn't thought of overclocking it but that'd still only push us to 8 GW from the geothermal.

To truly solve my power woes, I turned to Polaris Energy and the 13 oil wells available on the north edge of the map. Via overclocking we fill up 9 pipes with them. 2700 cubic meters of oil becomes 1800 cubic meters of fuel becomes 18 GW of power. And some tickets from a LOT of polymer resign getting sink'd.

But what do I need all this power for? Y'know, things.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I've been theorycrafting layouts for a turbofuel power plant. 300 oil/minute can support up to 150 generators. If we hide the canning of extra fuel, the layout can be pretty tidy:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Apparently they still plan to release the game to Steam this month. Does anyone know if another update to the actual game is coming? Seems strange for what one would think would just be a simple change to the launch client would take so long.... Yeah I know they want cross play but they've been talking about this for a month. I dunno, it's clear it's a big game so I'm probably wrong :).

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

It's not just about what program triggers the exe to launch. It's an entirely different framework for user data and cloud saves and friends list and all that stuff. Plus it needs to be fully compatible with the epic client and allow people on different launchers to talk to each other and play the game. And, all of this needs to be done in the right way so that they're not creating a bunch of extra work every time they want to deploy a new version.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Dr. Stab posted:

It's not just about what program triggers the exe to launch. It's an entirely different framework for user data and cloud saves and friends list and all that stuff. Plus it needs to be fully compatible with the epic client and allow people on different launchers to talk to each other and play the game. And, all of this needs to be done in the right way so that they're not creating a bunch of extra work every time they want to deploy a new version.

OK thanks for the explanation, makes sense now!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They've been making other changes on the experimental branch in the meantime.

Like adding the ability to set overflow rules on Smart/Programmable Splitters. No more rube goldberg machines worth of splitters/mergers to send your overflow products to the shredder.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Vasudus posted:

They've been making other changes on the experimental branch in the meantime.

Like adding the ability to set overflow rules on Smart/Programmable Splitters. No more rube goldberg machines worth of splitters/mergers to send your overflow products to the shredder.

I'm always concerned about playing on experimental versions, especially with a game like Satisfactory where I'd probably break down in tears if I lost my save. Do you think the experimental version is safe from that? I only follow the game in this thread and just lately.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
There's a chance of that happening, but backing up your save file is easy and they tell you exactly how to do it when you launch the experimental version.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Still waiting on dedicated server client so my FPS doesn’t slowly degrade to single digits when playing with a friend for more than an hour :whitewater:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I just started playing this, I'm enjoying it, my daughter is enjoying it, I just realized I should be converting all of my leaves into biomass instead of feeding them to the generator whoops

But how the hell do I pause? I have a small child, being able to pause is kind of essential

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

So I just started playing this, I'm enjoying it, my daughter is enjoying it, I just realized I should be converting all of my leaves into biomass instead of feeding them to the generator whoops

But how the hell do I pause? I have a small child, being able to pause is kind of essential

No pause (unless folks here know of a mod). Should probably change to a game that does allow pausing, noting that fewer and fewer games do allow pausing in game it seems. Factory Town allows pausing in game, and while it's way simpler, it might work better for your situation.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

ToxicFrog posted:

No way to pause. Just climb on top of a building so critters don't kill you. Once you get past this manual power phase it really won't matter if you leave it running.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
If you connect a biomass burner to a power pole, it can count as "powered" for the purposes of stopping hostile spawns, but the fuel will never go down.

So build one of those near every place your character might be standing when your child needs attention.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Also the burners only turn bio goo into power if that power is needed somewhere. Nothing in the game ever runs out so you can just walk away, and even if you die nothing is lost (you'll just have to retrieve your inventory from the corpse). So the devs just ditched a pause feature because "pausing" means your machines aren't making more stuff for you.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mayveena posted:

I'm always concerned about playing on experimental versions, especially with a game like Satisfactory where I'd probably break down in tears if I lost my save. Do you think the experimental version is safe from that? I only follow the game in this thread and just lately.

It's probably safe at this point since it's not a major update, just a series of bugfixes and minor things.

When there's a major update (like Update 3 that just came out) they tend to change recipes, power requirements, terrain, etc. over the duration of Experimental so there's a pretty good chance you'll have to at least refactor your setup periodically.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Mayveena posted:

I had an experimental save that I migrated to the main branch wipe the inventories of all of my vehicles. The contents of my remote construction tractor were rough to lose, but it turns out that emptying the fuel bays of all my automated tractors resulted in a need to travel out to them, gas them up with canned biofuel, then travel out to the coal supply and bootstrap it and the truck stop with biofuel generators. I opted to try another start location, which in retrospect was the choice with a lot MORE travel time and horsing around, because it took me a very long, frustrating time to figure out what the problem was. It’s why I build all power generation of a type in the same place now.

I’ve also had two smooth migrations!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

For vehicles I have a train that carries plastic and a truck that carries quartz. My explorer car is, if anything, full of concrete. "Loss of vehicle inventories" would barely be a hiccup. I can definitely think of specific moments it'd have been a big hassle though. I have a truck I sometimes load up with poo poo to take somewhere remote to build a thing and losing that would be an annoyance.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

So I've just started this and I'm hooked - I'm wondering what the WIP artefacts are going to be used for if anyone knows?

Also, do people typically just build out over water for the factories? I'm struggling to wrap my head around how to make multi-storey factories just now and it took me until I built the coupon-producing building and shop to find stuff I'd have expected from a factory builder like walkways, stairs and the like, but my biggest problem is figuring out how to lay out the factory on uneven terrain.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

building on foundations is generally easier to manage. Buildings snap to grid and you don't have to worry about things not quite lining up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

PiCroft posted:

So I've just started this and I'm hooked - I'm wondering what the WIP artefacts are going to be used for if anyone knows?

Also, do people typically just build out over water for the factories? I'm struggling to wrap my head around how to make multi-storey factories just now and it took me until I built the coupon-producing building and shop to find stuff I'd have expected from a factory builder like walkways, stairs and the like, but my biggest problem is figuring out how to lay out the factory on uneven terrain.

I don't think anyone knows what the WIP items are for yet, potentially top tier quantum buildings or maybe another overclock style mechanic.

The two main schools of thought on layouts seem to be:
pave the sky - start from a high point and build a massive physics defying air ship factory and just ignore the problem of terrain
smaller vertical factories - work with the terrain and build 2+ story factories with spaghetti belts or a central bus to pass products between them

If you do the latter, just start at the highest spot your factory is going to occupy and start laying foundations from there. Use the thickest foundation. Once you do a couple you'll get the hang of it.

Note about building on water, deep water itself is now a precious resource that needs to be pumped, so instead of paving over water, try to build above it so you could still place pumps when needed.
Also, stairs are mostly decorative, you will want jump pads and hyper tubes to move around your factory levels.