Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Don’t the feds ultimately control the National guard? When they were sent to Afghanistan, did governor’s have to give the ok ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Earwicker posted:

i know it was from a couple pages ago and is now ancient history, but the idea of a bunch of australian "protestors" showing up to protest except no one remembered to bring any signs so its just a bunch of sad people milling around is hilarious

It was really dumb to try and push that poo poo on Australians at this point in time because our coronavirus cases graph currently looks like this:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/australia/

.... so the lockdown clearly worked here and some states are already starting to ease restrictions: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-52496725

Here's a page with breakdowns state by state
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...map-by-postcode

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

Iceland has such an application, and they have the privacy control organisation and only them full control over the data. People in Iceland trust that organisation that the data will not be coupled with any other data sets and will be destroyed in the end, so it is widely used.

I wouldn't trust the Dutch government to keep such data safe, because I have seen how that has worked in the past from the inside: 8 years ago I had worked a bit on a parking app that used license numbers of cars to register parking fees in large city garages. I had advised on separating those data from the official license number registration that was coupled to personal owner info and tax and insurance data. I assumed that data administrators would respect the procedures, because in the end all security fails when the technical staff starts breaking protocol on purpose.

Then one night, on instruction of the CEO, there was a download of the data vault with communication data that allowed coupling of the data, and that download was given to the tax office, which wrote thousands of fines for cars that were taxed for 'work only' and were found parking in weekends near big theme parks.

OK, those people were cheating tax, and legally the tax office has enormous might in data gathering, but it taught me that one cannot trust promises here.

Your posts are exceptionally good and I have appreciated them a lot.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Has anyone figured out when we are all going to die?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

poverty goat posted:

probably around the normal time unless we get a worst case endemic disease scenario where we all get it every year and over 20 years a few near-ARDS brushes per person drives life expectancy thru the floor

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Dr.Caligari posted:

Don’t the feds ultimately control the National guard? When they were sent to Afghanistan, did governor’s have to give the ok ?

Its kind of complex system (plus there is the Army reserves which is separate). National guard units are kind of defaulted to be under the control of the state. National guard units can be federal mobilized and placed under national level control as well. Prior to 2007 this required state approval, but since 2007 the president can federalize national guard troops without consent of state governors.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

poverty goat posted:

We aren't. At worse, we would only lose a few hundred thousand humans out of millions. The long-term ramifications of the shut down in the major economic centers of the world are already leading to far worse outcomes, and we will continue to bear those outcomes for decades. No one wanted to be the politician that gave this the laissez-faire treatment, though, except Republicans right now. And the media is working overtime to make them look bad for it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

We aren't. At worse, we would only lose a few hundred thousand humans out of millions. The long-term ramifications of the shut down in the major economic centers of the world are already leading to far worse outcomes, and we will continue to bear those outcomes for decades. No one wanted to be the politician that gave this the laissez-faire treatment, though, except Republicans right now. And the media is working overtime to make them look bad for it.

We're looking at millions in the US in May if we revert to March levels of spread OP

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

same reason mass shootings with assault rifles perk people's ears up despite being 0.001% of gun deaths or whatever, when the biggest cause is gangsters with lovely .22s

lmao 18 months. Sorry olds and genetic dead ends, this population getting culled AF.

You're gross.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

No one wanted to be the politician that gave this the laissez-faire treatment, though, except Republicans right now. And the media is working overtime to make them look bad for it.

The republicans definitely do not need the media to make them look bad. They handle that job all on their own.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 2, 2020

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Only a few hundred thousand?
Bad media?

Really dude?

naem
May 29, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

What would they do if the feds showed up. Hold onto the boxes really tight?

they diverted the plane mid-flight at the last second to a different MD airport, where they had MD NG waiting to grab the tests onto trucks to whisk them away. If the Feds were at the original airport they didn’t have time to scramble to steal them lol

Dr.Caligari posted:

yes the feds can “activate” NG troops at any time making them legally identical to any Army unit- but unless activated they report directly to the governor. “Activating” is a big deal legal thing and not like a switch someone flips where a big blue light turns from blue to red and they change loyalty instantly.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

you are aware that your family, and yourself, can catch and die from the coronavirus right?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
btw Trump is going to pull another Iraq w/ the china lab thing

let's see if the media learnt their lesson or not (lol)

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Dr.Caligari posted:

I’m in a rural part of the states and contract tracing , at this point, seems like a waste of resources in almost all instances.

Most people are still going to work and doing what they usually do . If it’s as contagious as it seems, it’s absolutely everywhere.

I would never install any such app. The feds can watch everything all ready , nothing we can do about that , but any additional app with that design is just going to allow additional people to see that data. No thanks

A good contact tracing app doesn't work by collecting information for a centralized authority to peruse and go CSI on. It's for the app users themselves - notifying them directly of other users who turned out to be positive cases and had been in contact with them.

It's not a waste of resources if you get infection counts down by hammering R below 1 for long enough. In a situation where the number of infected is low - contact tracing is very useful, even when the virus is extremely contagious. If you give up and accept everyone will be infected, then yes, it's useless. But that's not an actual option, in my opinion. The consequences would be devastating, despite the optimism growing in many places.

Neodymium
Jun 23, 2012

Yessss, let's cull the surplus population for the DOW surely the poors will just make more poors

scratches balls, smells hand, adjusts cheap red cap with ball-stank hand

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

hemale in pain posted:

you are aware that your family, and yourself, can catch and die from the coronavirus right?

this is like explaining to people who are vehemently against reforming the US healthcare system that they too could get sick or injured and end up bankrupt, even with insurance

"it can't happen to me!"

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Only a few hundred thousand, nothing in the grand scheme of things I muse as I swirl my brandy and dr pepper

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Mozi posted:

I really super doubt that. We weren't all that dependent on iraq for huge portions of our essential supply chains. I mean *maybe* he's that dumb, he IS very dumb. I'm an optimist I guess.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

You are a loving moron. We're already at nearly 3.5 million reported cases globally on May 2nd and the primary reason why the numbers aren't so much worse is because most countries that aren't America locked the heck down ASAP.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Relayer posted:

I really super doubt that. We weren't all that dependent on iraq for huge portions of our essential supply chains. I mean *maybe* he's that dumb, he IS very dumb. I'm an optimist I guess.

there has definitely been a ramping up of propaganda in that direction. also every president starts a war with a new country and trump hasnt done his yet

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

You are a loving moron. We're already at nearly 3.5 million reported cases globally on May 2nd and the primary reason why the numbers aren't so much worse is because most countries that aren't America locked the heck down ASAP.

yes but have you considered that wall street is very hungry for humans and needs to eat? we need to feed more humans to wall street so that it can get bigger

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Relayer posted:

no blood for iphones

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

we're not going to war with china hahahaha get the gently caress outta here

no, just more CIA destabilization of south american, east asian, and african democracies in order to undermine chinese russian and iranian interests.
very business as usual.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

GolfHole posted:

we're not going to war with china hahahaha get the gently caress outta here

no, just more CIA destabilization of south american, east asian, and african democracies in order to undermine chinese russian and iranian interests.
very business as usual.

sure it seems incredibly stupid and outlandish but so does half of the poo poo thats actually happened this year. you are probably right but i feel like all bets are off right now

necroid
May 14, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

i went to a tinder hookup cuz i'm an idiot march 30th and the 2-3 weeks that followed in April waiting to die for being stupid were harrowing..not worth it, dumbest move possible

i live alone, so i didn't bring that risk back at least and i'm isolating so no other interactions during that time but the few people i told IRL lost their poo poo on me rightfully so

lol I wonder how many people are using dating apps right now, must be a bugchaser's paradise

speaking of bugchasers, I wonder if they're chasing after the rona too?

pretty easy to get your neg hole poz'd by covid, viral loads through the roof!

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

necroid posted:

viral loads

Lol

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Earwicker posted:

there has definitely been a ramping up of propaganda in that direction. also every president starts a war with a new country and trump hasnt done his yet

Well yeah, propaganda is sort of part of the global political lexicon. The cold war was essentially all propaganda, and no bombs ever went off. I just don't see it happening and god let's hope it doesn't.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Relayer posted:

The cold war was essentially all propaganda, and no bombs ever went off.

lots of bombs went off, they just weren't the nuclear kind and it was conducted through colonial proxy wars. vietnam, afghanistan, nicaragua, etc were part of the cold war.

china is of course a very different situation, and im not saying a direct war with china is likely, just that ive observed a ramping up of propaganda lately, and that our current leadership is unhinged enough (and the current situation rather unique) that the usual predictable patterns dont entirely apply. i absolutely hope it doesnt i cant think of a worse country to go to war with

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 2, 2020

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

realbez posted:

I fuckin love crime

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

naem posted:

anyone mentioned this yet? a governor using national guard troops to protect ppe from the federal gov

Lol it’s like something out of a dumber Tom Clancy/Bruckheimer movie.

I want to see the NG get into a gunfight with the Feds over PPE. Splosions of masks everywhere. Nick cage injecting himself with bleach.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man, My roommate is really bad at this whole social distancing thing. Why are there like 5 people I don't know at my house right now :sigh:

I kind of knew it would be like this, she's gotta be the most restless person I've ever met. It's really making me feel like my attempts to isolate myself are just stupid and futile though. It's funny because she talks like she' participating in this but she's been on 3 out of state leisure trips this month including plane rides, goes to friends houses probably 4 nights a week and has people over regularly. I feel like she's just asking to catch this thing and then here I am one floor away.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 2, 2020

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

nah, I have friends at a few of the major hospitals and in MD they never got overwhelmed, yet

What area you around?

I'm very tempted to take an hour ride to pick up my favorite tex-mex. Its in another state, but I would only be interacting with the carry out people and have a mask on. Is this a bad idea?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

pro starcraft loser posted:

What area you around?

I'm very tempted to take an hour ride to pick up my favorite tex-mex. Its in another state, but I would only be interacting with the carry out people and have a mask on. Is this a bad idea?

what are you going to do when your car breaks down hot shot

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

pro starcraft loser posted:

What area you around?

uhh, it'll be cold by the time you bring it home

tgnt.mgmt
Jan 8, 2012

Mozi posted:

At the very least he's going to use the xenophobia card to shift the blame of people dying and create an "enemy" for the general.

I don't think we'll get into a military conflict with them, though

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
i like how in america driving for two hours across state lines is some normal poo poo to do to get some takeout food. the planet is hosed

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Mozi posted:

George W. Bush started Iraq due to bad intelligence. Trump is going to try to start this in defiance of the intelligence data and the community that produces its. Seems impossible but in this lovely era where facts are rapidly becoming obsolete who knows?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

other people posted:

i like how in america driving for two hours across state lines is some normal poo poo to do to get some takeout food. the planet is hosed

It's really not normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

other people posted:

It is most definitely not normal.