Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Wait which is right Orcs or Orkz or Orcz or Orks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The Ultimate Doge posted:

Saying orcs are racist is correct (they very obviously represent our old impressions of humans from band and chiefdom societies, or sometimes of humans with lower socioeconomic status like soccer hooligans and african americans) but also counter-productive. Fantasy stuff is inherently fascist but it allows the fascism present in every person to be indulged in a harmless way without directing it to political ends. When you start forcing people to confront it and making it an open shameful issue instead of something politely ignored, you get rid of that release valve

“the fascism present in every person”

lmao

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

PawParole posted:

This argument that essentially different species inside of a fantasy space who are essentially different is some kind of racist dog-whistle is actually racist itself . It’s pretty loving offensive, like when PETA tries to be woke and compares owning a dog to slavery.

Lol no it isn't. It's a literalization of the racist idea that other races aren't human. Most of fantasy is about exaggerating and literalizing stuff like that

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the idea that, at our core, humans are really just racist and fascist, and we suppress that with Powerful Thought And Ideology is some real dumbass dark enlightenment poo poo, and also complete horseshit

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

PawParole posted:

This argument that essentially different species inside of a fantasy space who are essentially different is some kind of racist dog-whistle is actually racist itself . It’s pretty loving offensive, like when PETA tries to be woke and compares owning a dog to slavery.

how white are you

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Omnicarus posted:

Wait which is right Orcs or Orkz or Orcz or Orks?

orkz is 40k orcs

orruks are age of sigmar orcs :v:

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Autism Sneaks posted:

how white are you

the only white part of me are my eyeballs. ( and my nails, I haven’t cut them enough since Ramadan started)

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

it is p funny how the chapo orc expert is maybe a warcraft and dnd orc expert if even that

i bet he has never even played of orcs and men or orcish inn :colbert:

also being ignorant of warhammer lore means your understanding of warcraft is limited since there is a tolkien>dnd>warhammer>warcraft evolution

Percelus has issued a correction as of 22:29 on May 2, 2020

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

PawParole posted:

This argument that essentially different species inside of a fantasy space who are essentially different act differently is some kind of racist dog-whistle is actually racist itself . It’s pretty loving offensive, like when PETA tries to be woke and compares owning a dog to slavery.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

orcs aren't racist, they can't be racist due to the power balance between them and humans

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Percelus posted:

as someone that was a teenager when nu metal came out, got very into it and went to see the family values tour even which was the nu metal coachella, it's awful music that no one should look fondly back at or listen to in 2020. other forms of rock hold up but nu metal is such absolute garbage and the only decent rock in the 90s was stuff like alice in chains, tool, red hot chili peppers

:lol:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
branson is right that warcraft is insanely more racist than the fantasy properties where orcs are always bad guys instead of bad guys who did a heel turn

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

there is literally a cutscene in battle for azeroth with the trolls doing the wakanda forever thing except zandalar forever

i posted it in this thread or the previous one

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

RHCP may be lame but they will be much more enduring than nu metal.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

im not the biggest chili pepper fan but i can't deny there are some talented musicians in the group and they have some p alright songs

tool are a bunch of tools who managed to write some good music

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Varinn posted:

the idea that, at our core, humans are really just racist and fascist, and we suppress that with Powerful Thought And Ideology is some real dumbass dark enlightenment poo poo, and also complete horseshit

I didn't mean that people are racist and fascist at our core, I mean that we have some inherent tendencies in those directions, just like we have all kinds of unsavory innate impulses we have to deal with and avoid acting on for moral purposes

Serf
May 5, 2011

the orc discourse started because a podcaster posted an excerpt from a d&d 5e book that talked about how no matter what orcs will always be destructive monsters and that no matter how "domesticated" they are they have to struggle with their murderous impulses every day

and yeah you can draw some parallels with old (and sometimes disturbingly still current) racial stererotypes because it does sound like something loving gobineau would write, but imo its just a lazy and outdated way to handle orcs. even as a middle-schooler browsing the 3.0 monster manual i remember seeing orcs listed as "chaotic evil" and i was like nah that's dumb

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Dmitri-9 posted:

RHCP may be lame but they will be much more enduring than nu metal.

they are indeed the more boomer-approved band to blast through your bluetooth speaker at family reunions

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

orcs aren't racist, they can't be racist due to the power balance between them and humans

orcs can’t be racist because they’re a different species, and race is always pseudoscientific nonsense, whether it’s the aryan race or the “negro” race or the British claims that the Irish were a variety of bog dwelling gorilla.

The only differation in human beings is like coloration and facial feature shape. The Orcs are literally a loving different species. Of course they act different, just like a zebra doesn’t act like a wolf!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PawParole posted:

orcs can’t be racist because they’re a different species, and race is always pseudoscientific nonsense, whether it’s the aryan race or the “negro” race or the British claims that the Irish were a variety of bog dwelling gorilla.

The only differation in human beings is like coloration and facial feature shape. The Orcs are literally a loving different species. Of course they act different, just like a zebra doesn’t act like a wolf!

depends entire on if half-orcs are fertile

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Serf posted:

the orc discourse started because a podcaster posted an excerpt from a d&d 5e book that talked about how no matter what orcs will always be destructive monsters and that no matter how "domesticated" they are they have to struggle with their murderous impulses every day

and yeah you can draw some parallels with old (and sometimes disturbingly still current) racial stererotypes because it does sound like something loving gobineau would write, but imo its just a lazy and outdated way to handle orcs. even as a middle-schooler browsing the 3.0 monster manual i remember seeing orcs listed as "chaotic evil" and i was like nah that's dumb

i mean its lazy and outdated because its rooted in unexamined weird racist ideas. i dont know why people twisted themselves into knots to say "its not racist raicst, its just ..." we can say that these ideas are bad and should be discarded and move on.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
shadowrun has dwarves, elves, orks, and trolls in it as well as humans and the rules book has this helpful little tidbit of information:

quote:

Contrary to ethnic races, metagenes seem immune to recombination, miscegenation, and dilution. Although members of different metatypes are able breed with one another, the child always expresses only one of the parent’s metatypes—or is born human (as a result of conflicting metagenes suppressing expression).
so if a dwarf and troll have a kid, what pops out is either a dwarf, a troll, or a human

Serf
May 5, 2011

Varinn posted:

i mean its lazy and outdated because its rooted in unexamined weird racist ideas. i dont know why people twisted themselves into knots to say "its not racist raicst, its just ..." we can say that these ideas are bad and should be discarded and move on.

ahh but you see if you point out that it reads like racist poo poo you are actually the real racist. which is what happened to the podcaster in question

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Can anyone recommend me a tabletop game with a lot of lore, since we’re on that topic anyway.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

PawParole posted:

a huge part of colonialist-era scientific racism was classifying people as other species of human, to explain why they were just naturally predisposed to rape and violence, and had to be culled.

creating a world in which this is actually true is extremely weird! orcs can be a different species of human, but describing them as "biologically violent" ABSOLUTELY is hinging poo poo on racist poo poo, dude

Serf
May 5, 2011

PawParole posted:

Can anyone recommend me a tabletop game with a lot of lore, since we’re on that topic anyway.

eoris

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

you can make cool fantasy races that aren't racist or one dimensional, like the githyanki/githzerai

they are easily two dimensional hence the racial split!

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

PawParole posted:

They are a different species as an exaggerated metaphor. Racists see real world races as being as different from each other as fantasy races are. Fantasy is about making embodiments of deeply felt ideas people have. What part of this are you missing

Also orcs and elves aren't even different species than humans, otherwise there wouldn't be half-orcs and half-elves :eng101:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

olives black posted:

If Matt's gonna play a game it should be something that a) doesn't require a whole of skill and b) gives him opportunities to riff. Something like Disgaea

:agreed:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Now this is what it looks like when a real community organizer is out in the streets fighting the good fight

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

it has a write up by fatal and friends, which means it’s Bad

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Ultimate Doge posted:

Saying orcs are racist is correct (they very obviously represent our old impressions of humans from band and chiefdom societies, or sometimes of humans with lower socioeconomic status like soccer hooligans and african americans) but also counter-productive. Fantasy stuff is inherently fascist but it allows the fascism present in every person to be indulged in a harmless way without directing it to political ends. When you start forcing people to confront it and making it an open shameful issue instead of something politely ignored, you get rid of that release valve

LIST OF OPPRESSED GROUPS
-Indigenous peoples
-Soccer hooligans
-African Americans

Serf
May 5, 2011

PawParole posted:

it has a write up by fatal and friends, which means it’s Bad

you didn't say it had to be good

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gripweed posted:

LIST OF OPPRESSED GROUPS
-Indigenous peoples
-Soccer hooligans
-African Americans

Lol, but I didn't say they were oppressed. I just wanted to include soccer hooligans because orks are my favorite orcs and possibly my favorite fantasy race ever

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

PawParole posted:

the tabletop setting with the best lore is Glorantha by a huge margin but ive never actually tried to play runequest

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Varinn posted:

“the fascism present in every person”

lmao

lol I was so struck by dude's claim that it's racist to make fun of soccer hooligans I didn't read the rest

Serf
May 5, 2011

if you want a not-bad game with lots of lore, there's unity. which i gave up on because it expected me to read 120 pages of setting info before it detailed a single mechanic. and while it tried to do some cool tactical combat poo poo it fell prey to natural language

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

PawParole posted:

Warhammer 40k

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gripweed posted:

lol I was so struck by dude's claim that it's racist to make fun of soccer hooligans I didn't read the rest

Lol I wasn't claiming that. Orks are probably the least racist version of orcs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Sir Tonk posted:

i like deftones tho and still see them when they tour, but id argue theyre closer to post rock than numetal i guess

and SOAD loving ruled

:hai: