Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Utz
Aug 1, 2008

by vyelkin

facetoucher cat posted:

Just be that weird person standing on the street corner screaming about the end times wearing piss drenched pants while everyone avoids making eye contact and continues to get on with their day? Pretty much describes my life TRUMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Mayor Dave posted:

The can is already a pressurized cylinder of a neurotoxin, I mean

So blow that poo poo up? That easy?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Unless it's specifically a medical mask they're not going to do poo poo and possibly even be detrimental. I see people with cloth and painter's masks and those won't do anything but aggregate saliva on them and cause people to touch their face more. The painter's masks even have warnings on them that say these will not protect your lungs.

A painter's P100 mask or whatever is going to do a fuckload to protect your lungs, painters don't wear them for fun.

The other ones stop a fuckload of coronavirus from shooting out, there's a reason why people everywhere but the paranoid apartheid western countries wear masks.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

helta posted:

So blow that poo poo up? That easy?

Apply heat, boom

ALLEGEDLY, PARODY

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Antonymous posted:

yah but you also wear a mask to prevent your own droplets from spreading when you're asymptomatic

Viruses are small and will go straight through a mask that is not designed to stop them from doing so.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Viruses are small and will go straight through a mask that is not designed to stop them from doing so.

That's not how filters work at all

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

shovelbum posted:

A painter's P100 mask or whatever is going to do a fuckload to protect your lungs, painters don't wear them for fun.

The other ones stop a fuckload of coronavirus from shooting out, there's a reason why people everywhere but the paranoid apartheid western countries wear masks.

We're talking about different kinds of painter's masks. I'm not talking about a P100 for industrial work, I mean the kinds you can get in packs at the hardware store for painting at home.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

what if the virus is carried in the mucus and other droplets that a cloth mask will help stop

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Mayor Dave posted:

Apply heat, boom

ALLEGEDLY, PARODY

Nods

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I'm applying heat in minceraft as we post

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I love all earthly creatures except fuckin wasps holy poo poo

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Can you just read the previous thread where we entertained the last person talking this bullshit so we can go back to wasp talk?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

fun fact wasps specifically go after morons who start screaming and waving their arms around whenever they see a flying insect

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm displeased to report that in the lakefront parts of the nice Chicago burbs "wear masks when outside and unable to maintain 6 feet distance" means to 80% of people "if you can have 6 feet of distance at any point in time in your entire day, no mask required"

Hordes of cyclists/walkers/joggers going maskless past each other in bike Lanes/multi use paths

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

with exponential (or logistic) growth little changes in odds of spread make big impacts down the line

avoid contact with people, but if it can't be avoided, wear a mask, social distance, and wash your hands before touching your face to whatever degree is possible... I don't think there's any other rules or logic to follow and it's really not that inconvenient except the crushing isolation

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Surprised that somebody named GokuGoesSSJ3 doesn’t know what they’re talking about

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

There's a peer reviewed study saying surgical masks are almost as good as n95s against coronaviruses but way worse against bacteria but be a smug know it all who's wrong instead

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Steve Yun posted:

Hey so I heard that penalties for dipping into your savings were removed in one of the relief bills so I thought about just paying off my mortgage

But then a friend looked into it more and said that according to the fine print you have to put all the money back in 90 days or you get penalized

i wonder how many people are going to get hosed over by that

if by savings you mean 401k? also that's not true for 401ks? if you are just taking money out of a savings account it's basically the same as pre roni times. You have the option to pay tax on disbursements from 401ks under the corona relief stuff next year. There's no requirement to pay it back in 90 days, you just sorta keep it and it gets taxed like regular income

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Antonymous posted:

what if the virus is carried in the mucus and other droplets that a cloth mask will help stop

When it's very cold and I wear a scarf without my contacts in my glasses fog up. This simple observation tells me a cloth bandanna or whatever will not be effective at stopping a virus.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

There's a peer reviewed study saying surgical masks are almost as good as n95s against coronaviruses but way worse against bacteria but be a smug know it all who's wrong instead

Yeah a lot of times the hardest thing to filter is a sort of heavy medium-size droplet that does in fact shoot through, with larger stuff getting physically caught up and smaller stuff getting stuck and deflected around inside the material.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

I'm not talking about surgical masks rear end in a top hat.

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

mastershakeman posted:

Masks are white people's kryptonite, wearing one will remove their powers

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Steve Yun posted:

Hey so I heard that penalties for dipping into your savings were removed in one of the relief bills so I thought about just paying off my mortgage

But then a friend looked into it more and said that according to the fine print you have to put all the money back in 90 days or you get penalized

i wonder how many people are going to get hosed over by that

alot

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Real talk for a second, my wife is being recalled to work after having paid leave for 6 weeks. She's a city bus driver in ontario canada. I requested to be laid off my work knowing that she would be getting her full salary (my work is considered essential but only because some of our customers are in the medical industry). Now that our bubble will be broken, should I go back to work when she does?

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

why are people breathlessly accepting the idea that you have to "pay back into your savings" if you take anything out of it that's like, not how bank accounts work unless it's a lovely minimum balance checking account from wells fargo

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

When it's very cold and I wear a scarf without my contacts in my glasses fog up. This simple observation tells me a cloth bandanna or whatever will not be effective at stopping a virus.

you know a virus is bigger can't ride around on a single gas molecule right

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

surgical masks rear end in a top hat

new username right here

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Atlanta has like 3k cases out of 1m ppl, they prolly fine

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Antonymous posted:

you know a virus is bigger can't ride around on a single gas molecule right

the roni is actually suspended in aerosols anyway so it's actually a much larger physical object than the virus or a single molecule of water

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

this coffee filter let water through and that's how I know it won't filter coffee grounds

this fish net let water through so that's how I know it won't catch a fish

this cloth mask let water through so that's how I know it won't slow the spread of a virus

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Oh man if only we had literal medical studies and entire other loving countries that have adopted widespread mask usage. I guess we’ll just never know if it helps and will have to rely on the painstaking research of GokuGoesSSJ3.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Marzzle posted:

why are people breathlessly accepting the idea that you have to "pay back into your savings" if you take anything out of it that's like, not how bank accounts work unless it's a lovely minimum balance checking account from wells fargo

i dunno maybe theyre worried there will be a run ont he banks or something, or theyre just assholes

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

n95 masks are prob better because of the seal around the mouth but disposable surgical masks are prob a vast improvement over "nothing" and more convenient than cycling cloth masks. If the usa could supply everyone with surgical masks every day it would deffo slash our R0

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
is the virus bigger than a bread basket?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Unless it's specifically a medical mask they're not going to do poo poo and possibly even be detrimental. I see people with cloth and painter's masks and those won't do anything but aggregate saliva on them and cause people to touch their face more. The painter's masks even have warnings on them that say these will not protect your lungs.

Its about not spreading your poo poo if you already have it. Wheres that piss comic

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Sir Tonk posted:

i dunno maybe theyre worried there will be a run ont he banks or something, or theyre just assholes

I've just never heard this rumor before anywhere and I would really like to know more about whatever the op of the "90 day savings withdrawl fee" dude's scenario they are describing

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

How does this tell you that exactly?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

love this old gem

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Marzzle posted:

I've just never heard this rumor before anywhere and I would really like to know more about whatever the op of the "90 day savings withdrawl fee" dude's scenario they are describing

Does this refer to poo poo like 401Ks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

shovelbum posted:

Does this refer to poo poo like 401Ks?

I don’t know what it’s talking about. the 401k deal is “take up to 100k per disbursement until you have no money without penalty, pay tax now or next year and it’s treated as income. every private institution associated with your 401k still gets a cut like they always do. only federal penalties are suspended”