Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You can support a lockdown as a whole while still having issues with some of the specific nonsensical poo poo that is being shut down or otherwise interfered with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kkBseVTUow

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I wish we could drop Biden and draft Inslee as our candidate.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

therobit posted:

I wish we could drop Biden and draft Bernie as our candidate.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, I think Inslee is going to be fine. Most folks are really happy they're here instead of one of the crazier states. There's a bunch of whiners out there, but things are slowly opening up anyway so they'll looks even more ridiculous as time passes.

Frankly the sort of folks who are steaming mad about this are the same sorts who scream about how your liberties are being taken away, how all the epidemeologists are lying and how there's a difference between dying with Covid-19 and dying of Covid-19. By that logic, AIDS doesn't kill anyone either.

Also his challenger so far is Tim "Campaign Fraud" Eyman. After 2016 never gonna be 100% sure, but Inslee should win.

He has handled this about as well as can be expected imo, but since we aren't New York no one nationally is paying any attention to us.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

therobit posted:

Unfortunately, according to section 99 paragraph B of the US Constitution, there is no evidence that Inslee has raped anyone, thus he is constitutionally ineligible to be president.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Figured out why so many people from out of town are in grocery stores out here. I had to drive up to the pass for work. Summit is packed. Every condo / cabin up there looks occupied. Not normally a busy time up there. It’s that snow/muddy time of year.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 2, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Ugh yeah. Rich assholes will do that.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think the unexpected push back from this is going to be against school curriculum. Cause these programs for remote learning they’re using suuucck.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm super thankful this happened now and they're figuring it out while my kid is in kindergarten.

I can teach him basic addition and spelling. I can't teach him trig.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I'm super thankful this happened now and they're figuring it out while my kid is in kindergarten.

I can teach him basic addition and spelling. I can't teach him trig.

I was a biology/math major in college and trig loving sucks.

ETA: Oh cool, we're getting invaded BY MOTHER loving MURDER HORNETS

kill it with fire posted:

With queens that can grow to two inches long, Asian giant hornets can use mandibles shaped like spiked shark fins to wipe out a honeybee hive in a matter of hours, decapitating the bees and flying away with the thoraxes to feed their young. For larger targets, the hornet’s potent venom and stinger — long enough to puncture a beekeeping suit — make for an excruciating combination that victims have likened to hot metal driving into their skin.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 2, 2020

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I’d have a much easier time with the trig. Number bonds for weeks now make us want to claw our eyes out. But the worst thing is the tiered programs that don’t really work. Log into schology to log into clever to log into stemscopedia, to not have the mandatory crap on the syllabus be there is super irritating.

I’m really coming to hate common core too. I also love that they casually drop things one needed to have prepared ahead of time in videos with a heads up: now get out x,y, and z that we are only mentioning now four minutes into a video as your child melts down because you don’t have it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Gah trig is like the most useful math ever.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’d have a much easier time with the trig. Number bonds for weeks now make us want to claw our eyes out. But the worst thing is the tiered programs that don’t really work. Log into schology to log into clever to log into stemscopedia, to not have the mandatory crap on the syllabus be there is super irritating.

I’m really coming to hate common core too. I also love that they casually drop things one needed to have prepared ahead of time in videos with a heads up: now get out x,y, and z that we are only mentioning now four minutes into a video as your child melts down because you don’t have it.

A lot of people who know how to teach have no idea how to use technology, and a lot of people who know how to use technology have no idea how to teach or write curriculum (remote or otherwise). The administration level of most education institutions has heretofore focused on pitting these two groups against each other for decades to make them both desperate so they can strip out labour protections and benefits. Our current mess is the result.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

How are y’all doing with exercise for the kids? Mine are going absolutely nuts.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

How are y’all doing with exercise for the kids? Mine are going absolutely nuts.

Bike riding has been key. Neither of my nieces had any interest in learning to ride before this. Now it's pretty much the only thing they want to do.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I wonder how many people are going "gently caress this, I'm not a teacher" and just focusing on the kid's mental health instead of dealing with the hassle described above.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

gohuskies posted:

I'm not sure if he will. This poll is a little old, from April 18-20, but it's WA specific and shows pretty massive support for social distancing and that people would rather err on the side of distancing too long rather than not long enough. Meanwhile the Republicans are sounding like absolute lunatics. https://crosscut.com/2020/04/poll-most-wa-voters-wary-reopening-economy-too-soon

That’s what they’re saying now. When the economy is hosed 6 months from now and republicans are crowing about it nonstop and blaming him they may feel different. Voters are loving stupid.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

My wife gets pretty burnt out by 3 on the week days because I have to work. So if I’m not in the field, it is put out relish tray and mixed wine cocktails at 3. I’m mostly WFH so I’ve been doing all the kitchen work too. I genuinely don’t know how single parents or both parents working are surviving this.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

A restaurant in my town just announced they're reopening this week. :munch:

E: I also learned yesterday that most of the cities here just didn't close the skate parks, people are just keeping their distance and it's fine.

Javid fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 2, 2020

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I’d say 75% out here have stayed open for take out. The handling ranges from lol to goddamn you’ve got your poo poo together perfect seamless no contact.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

No yeah everywhere has been doing that. This place is straight up reopening

I cannot imagine deciding to order diner breakfast to go, they've just been closed entirely so they must agree

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ha gently caress, bet they get their licenses pulled like that place in Maine.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Ha gently caress, bet they get their licenses pulled like that place in Maine.

OLCC already pulled some liquor licenses so they have been enforcing it. Not sure if the diner has a liquor license or who regulates restaurants but seems like a dangerous game.

Javid posted:

A restaurant in my town just announced they're reopening this week. :munch:

E: I also learned yesterday that most of the cities here just didn't close the skate parks, people are just keeping their distance and it's fine.

Yeah there’s an informal skate park near where I live and whenever it’s sunny it’s pretty crowded. No real social distancing but my feel is people in Portland are increasingly less and less concerned about catching it. Foot traffic and street traffic has been picking back up quite a bit, mask use is maybe 3 out of 10. And not like I’m in chudville or whatever. I’m in Buckman.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

therobit posted:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Individual businesses opening might get slapped, but I think we're going to see a lot more of this if governors don't start listening:

MODOC COUNTY DEFIES STATE ORDERS AND ALLOWS SOME BUSINESSES TO REOPEN

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Javid posted:

Individual businesses opening might get slapped, but I think we're going to see a lot more of this if governors don't start listening:

Governors are listening. They're listening to the doctors and nurses who don't want to see a repeat of NYC just so people can get their Jesus on.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I genuinely don’t know how single parents or both parents working are surviving this.

It sucks balls. And the teachers won't stop sending emails about how my kid needs to do this or that thing online. My daughter is 10 and in elementary school, and my wife and I are both working from home. And we have a 5 year old to look after as well.

My daughter has six different online learning platforms which they expect me to keep track of. Her classroom teacher has called twice and the music teacher called at 4:30 on a Friday to tell us that it really isn't hard to get her set up on *some online bullshit* so could we please do that. Then she continued to send nagging emails until the classroom teachers had heard from enough parents that she was made to send an apology email.

I no longer give a gently caress. M y kid is crushing the Khan academy math tests, plays online math games, and reads for 4 hours a day. She also voluntarily does the video PE lessons. Basically

Javid posted:

"gently caress this, I'm not a teacher" and just focusing on the kid's mental health instead of dealing with the hassle described above.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Javid posted:

Lol I adore rural exceptionalism. Y’all are just so precious and everything has to be carefully tailored to your needs. I mean in general I get it: neither state or federal government has done the things to make long term lockdowns feasible but lol y’all want to open up right now cause you’re special and we gotta drop everything to focus on your unique situation instead of everything else going on. Okay.

This isn’t targeted at you specifically because as far as I can tell you’re just reporting community sentiment. Just a general lol at rural exceptionalism.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Javid posted:

“If you don’t start letting us open stuff up we’re going to start opening stuff up.”? How would the outcome be different if governors “started listening”?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

tk posted:

“If you don’t start letting us open stuff up we’re going to start opening stuff up.”? How would the outcome be different if governors “started listening”?

I mean if they get their way then there isn’t the power struggle and the tug of war over whether central authority is undermined. Or at least not as publicly. That’s the leverage they’re trying to use hoping the governor’s blink.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

This is literally the raison d'être for federalism on paper so if governors can't keep poo poo closed to protect their people right now, tear it down.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Javid posted:

I don't think we'll see local governments pulling this, though they might try to get headlines. Franklin County passed a thing about how Inslee's shutdown didn't apply there, it made all the news, then they finally called their lawyer and they quietly repealed it two days later. A couple cities have done the same - passed anti-shutdown resolutions, made the news, then realized they shouldn't actually do that and are open to lawsuits, and repealed it. When the rubber meets the road, counties and cities can have public health restrictions that are stricter than the state, but nobody can be less strict that the state allows. Anybody who tries will get a legal hammer coming their way very quickly.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

gohuskies posted:

I don't think we'll see local governments pulling this, though they might try to get headlines. Franklin County passed a thing about how Inslee's shutdown didn't apply there, it made all the news, then they finally called their lawyer and they quietly repealed it two days later. A couple cities have done the same - passed anti-shutdown resolutions, made the news, then realized they shouldn't actually do that and are open to lawsuits, and repealed it. When the rubber meets the road, counties and cities can have public health restrictions that are stricter than the state, but nobody can be less strict that the state allows. Anybody who tries will get a legal hammer coming their way very quickly.

Laws that are more strict than the state actually have to wait a year to come into force. But your overall point is correct.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

therobit posted:

It sucks balls. And the teachers won't stop sending emails about how my kid needs to do this or that thing online. My daughter is 10 and in elementary school, and my wife and I are both working from home. And we have a 5 year old to look after as well.

My daughter has six different online learning platforms which they expect me to keep track of. Her classroom teacher has called twice and the music teacher called at 4:30 on a Friday to tell us that it really isn't hard to get her set up on *some online bullshit* so could we please do that. Then she continued to send nagging emails until the classroom teachers had heard from enough parents that she was made to send an apology email.

I no longer give a gently caress. M y kid is crushing the Khan academy math tests, plays online math games, and reads for 4 hours a day. She also voluntarily does the video PE lessons. Basically

Yeah, if anything this crisis lays bare what parts of school are learning/peer socialization and what parts are factory/social control, and the poo poo that teachers have been forced more and more to teach and focus on over the last 30 years lean hard into factory/social control. I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, both my parents are teachers, I love teachers, and I wish our society trusted and respected them more. But frameworks for education run as a business are poison.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Well, the number of daily confirmed cases has leveled off and is now even maybe accelerating again. Probably just a coincidence that the re-open WA protest was two weeks ago.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Solkanar512 posted:

Oh great, and we've already got too many murder WASPs as it is...

https://twitter.com/maxberger/status/1256654590348595200?s=19

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

I was a biology/math major in college and trig loving sucks.

I remember seeing a documentary about these things like 15 years ago. Pretty intense.

I would think the best way to combat them would be to crossbreed european honeybees with japanese honeybees, if that kind of thing can be done that is.

Prepare yourself for a demonstration of solidarity worthy of mother nature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5QxUR-mZVM

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, if anything this crisis lays bare what parts of school are learning/peer socialization and what parts are factory/social control, and the poo poo that teachers have been forced more and more to teach and focus on over the last 30 years lean hard into factory/social control. I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, both my parents are teachers, I love teachers, and I wish our society trusted and respected them more. But frameworks for education run as a business are poison.

Yeah, my wife is a teacher, and I like teachers and have sympathy for them, but I think there are a couple things going on here. The teachers are well acquainted with the online learning platforms and they teach them to the kids in the first couple weeks. But they forget what it was like when they were first trying to learn all of them at once. Also, according to the district they are supposed to assign 60-90 minutes of activity for elementary students, but there is some major lesson bloat going on. My kid has more like 5 hours assigned each day.

Ultimately, I think both issues would be solved by the school district and administrators managing harder and enforcing the stated guidelines as well as getting them to all stick to two or fewer platforms. I doubt it will happen though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

therobit posted:

Id be happy of they replaced him with a racoon. Or a possum. Or an anteater.

Maybe a nice bird of some sort.