Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you want your bread to taste like beer, make beer bread. Seriously. Putting beer in your starter is just going to confuse the poor unhappy starter mess up its biochemistry without imparting much taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

BizarroAzrael posted:

So here it is, didn't rise much and came out pretty dense and heavy. Crust is good though.

Is the starter just not active enough?

Selfquoting into the new page, if anyone has any ideas what happened I'd really appreciate advice for another crack.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Longer, warmer rise maybe?

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Selfquoting into the new page, if anyone has any ideas what happened I'd really appreciate advice for another crack.

If you can tell us what you did it would help diagnose what went wrong, but it looks like your starter didn’t do anything. The hole there is probably due to your shaping rather than any yeast.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

BizarroAzrael posted:

This is definitely undeprooved. Starter is not active enough for the rise time/temps you gave it.

Easy to solve - keep feeding that starter, and keep making small loaves to figure out your variables. Searching for help on under proofed dough will bring up some good tips.

I did not need to make any sandwich bread with my discard this week, so I made it into tasty crumpets instead!

100% whole wheat. Had to improvise the forms, so they came out more wide than tall. (That meant more crispy crust! Not a sacrifice at all, frankly.) They still split nicely and were delicious with strawberry jam.

Recipe from King Arthur Flour. Super easy and quick way to use up discard. It only adds sugar, salt, and baking soda to the batter so it is great for these flour-conscious times.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've started baking bread in dutch oven. It's about as wide as the bread form I use and about half a foot high. The problem being that every time I have to drop the dough into a red-hot pot from a fair height, and normally it hits the sides on the way down. Am I going about this the wrong way, or using the wrong tool entirely?

Stop preheating the pot and your oven. Put the dough into your cold dutch oven then your dutch oven into your cold oven, set the oven to 450 degrees and bake for 55 minutes. You can remove the lid the last five minutes or so if you want more color on the crust.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you want your bread to taste like beer, make beer bread. Seriously. Putting beer in your starter is just going to confuse the poor unhappy starter mess up its biochemistry without imparting much taste.

Fine then I’ll add it to the final dough.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd honestly be surprised if the beer is doing anything more than giving some sugar to the existing yeast. Alcohol is a byproduct of yeast that will actually smother it, so that's not great in there.

More to the point, though, it was pasteurized before bottling. That should have killed everything in there.

Someone earlier in the thread was trying to make sourdough with beer yeast (as in the live yeast brewers buy) and iirc it worked but it was crazy loving hungry.

Oh no this beer is not pasteurised.

Also an update on my beer abomination: it seems to have grown by a third since I last checked on it. There's lots of bubbles in it.

But yeah, I'll be feeding it water in future.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Trying another sourdough loaf now using a King Arthur recipe. Will see how this one turns out in in my dutch oven after rising in the mixer bowl. In the meantime, any suggestions on bannetons? Have mostly just done rustic boules, pullman loaves, and pizza before so I don't know what to look for and the amazon algorithm has gotten awful at sorting while trying to push products.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Yeah but I’d be more interested in the added beer flavor so it’s cool.

So I was on the phone with my cousin comparing notes on no-kneads, and I remembered hers uses a splash of Stella, which I learned from her maybe 15 years ago. Knowing what I know now, it’s a good substitution for the lactic fermentation in sourdough, so I have amended a few of my base recipes to include. But only Stella. I don’t drink the stuff myself, but I am willing to be superstitious about this one.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bloody ghost titty posted:

So I was on the phone with my cousin comparing notes on no-kneads, and I remembered hers uses a splash of Stella, which I learned from her maybe 15 years ago. Knowing what I know now, it’s a good substitution for the lactic fermentation in sourdough, so I have amended a few of my base recipes to include. But only Stella. I don’t drink the stuff myself, but I am willing to be superstitious about this one.

But then you have to drink the rest of it. :ohdear:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

therattle posted:

But then you have to drink the rest of it. :ohdear:

Throw some bourbon in it and let ‘er rip, mate.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

We eat a lot of bagels, and our usual shops are pretty well shut down right now, so I've been making a lot of bagels recently. I screwed up the hydration this time somehow, so they came out a little runty. I think I mismeasured the water and am closer to 51% than 56%? Typically they're about 1/3 larger than these.

Also, I made an obligatory sourdough the other day. This was definitely too high a hydration, since I got that shiny, rubbery crumb, and it's not sour at all, but I'm pretty pleased with it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I was going to recommend the one I bought and was pleased with, but Amazon is sold out with no restock date. I searched Ebay to see if they had the same brand (Bread Art). Although they don't, I did learn that there exist triangular bannetons. Huh.

I was zonked last night, so that day's sourdough loaf was c/o the bread machine and this King Arthur recipe. Tasted like sourdough, yay. I skipped the sugar, and the lowest recommended amount of water turned out to be way too much. It's a straightforward easy sandwich loaf, though, so I'll put it into the rotation and stop buying commercial sandwich bread.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Made a quarter batch of BA’s Best Morning Buns last night/today. Boy is it a pain quartering a recipe, but I live by myself and the recipe as written makes two dozen, which I definitely didn’t need. I don’t have a mixer that can do dough either so I used this technique of scalding the milk, incorporating the butter, and kneading. I also subbed maple syrup for honey since that’s all I had. They came out super well!

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Gonna go ahead and guess my homemade sourdough starter wasn’t QUITE up to the task of raising my dough in two and a half hours without additional yeast.

Done on a baking steel using the King Arthur flour sourdough recipe because my Dutch oven was unavailable last minute. Assuming the rise was both not long enough and the starter not strong enough. Smells good, but it pancaked straight out of the proofing bowl and I decided to just let it bake to see what happened. Dios mio.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The last one I did I put the dough together around 6pm, periodically folded it (like, every couple of hours) until I went to bed at 11, left it on the counter overnight, folded it one more time before transferring it to my cast iron, and put that in the fridge for 24 hours. If you're only proofing on the counter it would obviously be shorter, but I wanted it longer and colder for more of a sour taste.

So, yeah, 2 hours isn't anywhere near long enough.

Gimpalimpa
Jun 27, 2004
Title text?
Hello, I tried making starter and on Friday I made a doughball, cut it in half and stuck both halves in the fridge covered and with olive oil for the night. The first half really didn't rise and the second half isn't either. When I tried baking at 400 for like 35 minutes with some water in a roasting pan, no magic happened. There was some air, just very little and too doughey.

My starter seems active with bubbles, so I'm confused. Should I just dump my second ball of dough and start over? Or can I bring some starter out, let it get warm and then add it to the ball? I don't have a ton of flour around.

Thanks.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Okay, my mixer is doing this every time. I've tried two different recipes, but they're both pretty wet -- white bread and some buns. Is that the issue? Is there any way to make these wet doughs without it wrapping?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPXIJ9sN6Mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVtoTxdxGkA

I've tried taking it out of the mixer, forming into a ball, and dropping back in and nothing.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Try making bigger batches of dough.
The Bosch does great with big batches but sometimes has trouble with smaller ones.
There's this attachment that is supposed to help with that.
https://pleasanthillgrain.com/dough-hook-extender-for-bosch-universal

There's also a different bowl/dough hook set that will let you mix up to 14lbs of dough at once.
https://pleasanthillgrain.com/original-style-stainless-bowl-bosch-universal-mixer
I'll eventually upgrade to that I occasionally have to make gently caress off huge batches of bread at home.

Is your dough hook plastic? The one that came with mine is solid aluminum with the steel hook part.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

yoshesque posted:

If you can tell us what you did it would help diagnose what went wrong, but it looks like your starter didn’t do anything. The hole there is probably due to your shaping rather than any yeast.

Starter was made with bread flour, past it's date but I don't think there's a problem with it. Fed it morning and evening, 12 hour intervals. I think I was initially underfeeding it by leaving too much mature starter, indicated by an acetone smell, but I think I got that corrected, although it now doesn't seem to bubble as much, very fine bubbles in there now.

Previous night I upped the quantities in my feeding, like 60g each flour, water, mature starter. I think British tap water is fine, but I used boiled and cooled to warm.

Otherwise I followed the BBC recipe except half quantity without splitting it into two loaves. Was two 2.5 hour proves, so something should have happened in that time right?

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Starter was made with bread flour, past it's date but I don't think there's a problem with it. Fed it morning and evening, 12 hour intervals. I think I was initially underfeeding it by leaving too much mature starter, indicated by an acetone smell, but I think I got that corrected, although it now doesn't seem to bubble as much, very fine bubbles in there now.

Previous night I upped the quantities in my feeding, like 60g each flour, water, mature starter. I think British tap water is fine, but I used boiled and cooled to warm.

Otherwise I followed the BBC recipe except half quantity without splitting it into two loaves. Was two 2.5 hour proves, so something should have happened in that time right?

The one thing I’ve taken away from making sourdough is that it’s better to go by signs rather than a set recipe. This is because everyone’s kitchen is different and these conditions will affect how your starter behaves. For instance, while a recipe may say that bulk fermentation will take 3 hours, unless you can provide the exact same temperature for your dough, you won’t get full fermentation in that time. Most recipes will be proofing in optimal conditions, which is about 23-25 Celsius. It’s likely your kitchen’s ambient temperature isn’t this, so you can either proof in an oven with the light on to get the higher temperature you need, or just let your dough rise for longer to compensate. In my kitchen currently, my doughs take 10 hours on the counter to get to the right point.

Going back to reading signs, it’s important to learn what indicators you’re looking for at each step of the process. Bulk fermentation is done when your dough looks domed at the edges of the container and looks gassy. After shaping, you can check that your final proof is done using the poke test. The loaf you posted looks like you followed the recipe verbatim and didn’t know what signs to look for before progressing to the next step.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Aunt Beth posted:

Made a quarter batch of BA’s Best Morning Buns last night/today. Boy is it a pain quartering a recipe, but I live by myself and the recipe as written makes two dozen, which I definitely didn’t need. I don’t have a mixer that can do dough either so I used this technique of scalding the milk, incorporating the butter, and kneading. I also subbed maple syrup for honey since that’s all I had. They came out super well!

Dough freezes very well, fwiw.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Okay, my mixer is doing this every time. I've tried two different recipes, but they're both pretty wet -- white bread and some buns. Is that the issue? Is there any way to make these wet doughs without it wrapping?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPXIJ9sN6Mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVtoTxdxGkA

I've tried taking it out of the mixer, forming into a ball, and dropping back in and nothing.

I can't see it that well and my mixer doesn't work like that, but it looks like the dough is still being somewhat kneaded? I mean it's sticking toward the bottom and moving around at the top? Otherwise just add some more flour or use more dough and see what happens.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tried the cold-ish oven method for this weekend’s bake. I let the oven preheat to 450 before putting everything in, and the dough went from fridge to cold dutch oven to oven. Baked with lid on for 35 minutes and lid off for another 20. Having a cookie sheet on the bottom rack of the oven helped prevent burning the bottom of the loaf.

Buying a cheap flour duster off Amazon upped my presentation game, though I could have used more flour this go round. The pattern on the bottom crust comes from the parchment lined colander I’m using to fridge the dough overnight while I waffle on ordering a banneton.

Posting these directly from my phone, sorry if huge:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Gimpalimpa posted:

Hello, I tried making starter and on Friday I made a doughball, cut it in half and stuck both halves in the fridge covered and with olive oil for the night. The first half really didn't rise and the second half isn't either. When I tried baking at 400 for like 35 minutes with some water in a roasting pan, no magic happened. There was some air, just very little and too doughey.

My starter seems active with bubbles, so I'm confused. Should I just dump my second ball of dough and start over? Or can I bring some starter out, let it get warm and then add it to the ball? I don't have a ton of flour around.

Thanks.

you don't mention it in this post, but did you let the dough rest at room temp at all before putting it in the fridge? i let mine sit on the bench for at least six hours (with a couple of quick folds every few hours) before it goes in the fridge overnight, and then it gets another few hours to wake back up before baking. tbh i'm not sure how much of that is necessary since i'm learning as i go.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

Dough freezes very well, fwiw.
After I had already assembled everything to go in the fridge I actually googled that, and a couple things I read recommended doubling the yeast. Would I just assemble the dough with double yeast, put one portion in the fridge to rise as usual, and wrap/freeze the rest? Any other tricks?

E: and then how do you thaw for use?

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 4, 2020

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Thumposaurus posted:

Try making bigger batches of dough.

Is your dough hook plastic? The one that came with mine is solid aluminum with the steel hook part.
That dough hook looks metal. I don't get why the dough hook extender that you linked is made out of plastic - I have the same annoyance at the cookie paddle attachment. Sure, it would cost an extra $1 to make it out of metal, but come the gently caress on.

Also, I agree with Thumposaurus. I typically do around 65% hydration recipes with 1-2 kg of flour. Sometimes as little as 600 grams but not usually. I'm gonna try to push towards 75% and see how that goes, but in any event, make more bread or get the extender. I don't have any experience with it, but it looks like it will work to attack the torus of dough hanging out on the center column.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 4, 2020

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Happiness Commando posted:

That dough hook looks metal. I don't get why the dough hook extender that you linked is made out of plastic - I have the same annoyance at the cookie paddle attachment. Sure, it would cost an extra $1 to make it out of metal, but come the gently caress on.

Also, I agree with Thumposaurus. I typically do around 65% hydration recipes with 1-2 kg of flour. Sometimes as little as 600 grams but not usually. I'm gonna try to push towards 75% and see how that goes, but in any event, make more bread or get the extender. I don't have any experience with it, but it looks like it will work to attack the torus of dough hanging out on the center column.

It's a metal dough hook and it already has the extender. That's where you see it getting ripped away from the center post before it wraps back around

Maybe the one they sell is bigger. Idk.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I made a loaf last week and it's the first one that seems pretty presentable, even if I overdid it with the flour on the tea towel during the final rise. Certainly better than the tiny butt-shaped first loaf and misshapen football second turned out.

Unfortunately it wasn't at all sour. Not even in the slightest, despite an overnight rise in the fridge. I'll have to do some more experimenting, since my starter is -definitely- sour on its own.

I think next though I'm going to try a tangzhong in a sandwich loaf.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

learnincurve posted:

There is a running joke in my family that my presentation absolutely sucks but here’s a thing anyway.

British iced buns, you can cut them down the middle and pipe in cream and jam to make them dead posh like.

Makes 5.

Oven 180 f/ 160f if fan
175ml milk warmed in a pan
15g butter
250g bread flour
5g fast action yeast
1tbsp castor sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Make as if normal white bread, (it’s meant to be wetter than usual) after first rise make them into rolls. Brush with milk before they go in the oven. Bake for 30 min and allow to cool

150g icing sugar
Food colouring
1tbsp (ish) water

Make thick icing

Those remind me strongly of finnish berliners, except berliners are deep fried.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tyty posted:

I made a loaf last week and it's the first one that seems pretty presentable, even if I overdid it with the flour on the tea towel during the final rise. Certainly better than the tiny butt-shaped first loaf and misshapen football second turned out.

Unfortunately it wasn't at all sour. Not even in the slightest, despite an overnight rise in the fridge. I'll have to do some more experimenting, since my starter is -definitely- sour on its own.

I think next though I'm going to try a tangzhong in a sandwich loaf.

Someone on here recommended a much longer fridge rise and it worked for me. I had the same problem but my last loaf came out very distinctly sour with 24 hours of fridge time.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Due to coronavirus and informal rationing here in england, for my first bread I baked a marie antoinette loaf
when i took it out of the oven i realised it was on a slant https://imgur.com/gallery/fuH5NrB
fortunately i realised my tastebuds don't actually understand angles

https://imgur.com/gallery/NLLstR5

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Aunt Beth posted:

After I had already assembled everything to go in the fridge I actually googled that, and a couple things I read recommended doubling the yeast. Would I just assemble the dough with double yeast, put one portion in the fridge to rise as usual, and wrap/freeze the rest? Any other tricks?

E: and then how do you thaw for use?

I've literally never bothered making any changes. Every once in a while i'll take a five kilo bag of flour and make poo poo tons of dough, then freeze it in medium freezer bags (approximately 275g of flour per bag, which is half of a loaf pan, or eight stuffed rolls that I make). I've frozen both my standard white dough and enriched doughs (which is what I use for buns / rolls / etc) and it's always come out fine. You can thaw on the counter or in the fridge. It's always risen fine. Of course, if you're storing in a frost-free freezer there may be damage over weeks but that will be highly variable.

I don't really see the point in doubling the yeast, personally, yeast grows exponentially.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

It's a metal dough hook and it already has the extender.
What hydration % is it? Or the whole recipe? I want to see if I can duplicate the behavior you are seeing.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Happiness Commando posted:

What hydration % is it? Or the whole recipe? I want to see if I can duplicate the behavior you are seeing.

Made the weissman white bread as well as his burger buns recipe, both of which are very wet doughs I think. I'll post a link to them later or it's on YouTube

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

The last one I did I put the dough together around 6pm, periodically folded it (like, every couple of hours) until I went to bed at 11, left it on the counter overnight, folded it one more time before transferring it to my cast iron, and put that in the fridge for 24 hours. If you're only proofing on the counter it would obviously be shorter, but I wanted it longer and colder for more of a sour taste.

So, yeah, 2 hours isn't anywhere near long enough.

I figured as much from my previous baking attempts but wanted to try the recipe as is. You confirmed what I had previously read about pure sourdough starter with no yeast taking substantially more time so I’ll try that this weekend or the next since the ingredients are like a dollar or two total so I’d mostly just be wasting time and so far I’m learning from the failures. The flattened loaf still tasted pretty good and got a nice crunchy exterior considering I had to pivot to my baking steel and a cast iron pan with water ten minutes ahead of planning to use a Dutch oven from cold.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

My recommendation would be to find some recipes written for sour dough and follow them before you try to convert poo poo. I read around a bit about concerting and just went nope because I could tell it required a lot more intuitive grasp of baking than I have at this point.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What's the threads recommendation on books about bread?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Flour water salt yeast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If you're interested in baking things other than French-style and artisanal breads, I highly recommend Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads. (He covers the artisanal styles, too, but he goes wider than them.) Inter-library loan it and see if it's your thing. Clayton covers everything from biscuits to brioches to sandwich bread. Every recipe has instructions for making by hand, by mixer, and by food processor. (I've never made yeast dough in a food processor, but some do.)

The New York Times has a lovely obit.