Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Hey so I heard that penalties for dipping into your savings were removed in one of the relief bills so I thought about just paying off my mortgage

But then a friend looked into it more and said that according to the fine print you have to put all the money back in 90 days or you get penalized

i wonder how many people are going to get hosed over by that

I believe your friend misread something. You don't pay back 401k withdrawals. You only pay back a 401k loan. The cares act thing let's you withdraw money from your 401k without paying the early withdrawal tax penalty. You will still have to pay the income tax on it, though. I believe you can choose to withhold a certain amount from your withdrawal to use to pay the taxes. And I think the cares act specifically gives you the option to pay the tax over three years instead of all of it in the year you withdraw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

like there’s prob at least 3 private entities getting a cut of your 401k constantly anyway regardless of roni conditions. it’s basically having your retirement funds taxed by private entities to fund a parallel free market social security system

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

When it's very cold and I wear a scarf without my contacts in my glasses fog up. This simple observation tells me a cloth bandanna or whatever will not be effective at stopping a virus.

the goal is to minimize not prevent. the only way to stop a virus is a pressurized space suit with antiviral filters.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I have like 20k in my 401k, is there any reason to not just withdraw all that poo poo right the gently caress now?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Marzzle posted:

if by savings you mean 401k? also that's not true for 401ks? if you are just taking money out of a savings account it's basically the same as pre roni times. You have the option to pay tax on disbursements from 401ks under the corona relief stuff next year. There's no requirement to pay it back in 90 days, you just sorta keep it and it gets taxed like regular income

yeah 401k’s. Guess I’ll keep looking into it

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
most people's savings are in tax-deferred accounts, where you pay little/no tax on the investment but are required to pay taxes when withdrawing early. if you withdraw from one of those, government will usually classify that money as income and make you pay tax on it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
wouldnt masks also decrease the chance of you dealing with a higher initial viral load which could potentially reduce your chance of getting insanely sick and dying

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/thomasarchitect/status/1256673269626949632?s=19

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
goku trained endlessly so that we could open up so really it's our right as americans to go to applehornet's without a mask

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
Arkansas gov. says 'spend money' as state economy opens

quote:

LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas (AP) — Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson on Saturday encouraged residents to “tip very generously” and “spend money” when they head back into public in the coming days as stores, restaurants, malls and other venues start to reopen.

Demon cracker country got cracked open like an egg and all they can think of is "spend money" lmao

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
reminder that goku died in one timeline because he didnt take a heart virus seriously lmao

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
https://i.imgur.com/TBUITfE.mp4

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Google Butt posted:

I have like 20k in my 401k, is there any reason to not just withdraw all that poo poo right the gently caress now?

talk to a financial planner

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

Demon cracker country got cracked open like an egg and all they can think of is "spend money" lmao

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Paging cumshitter

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Google Butt posted:

idk what you’re invested in but the stock market is butt right now. I wouldn’t touch it unless you can buy food

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

oh no my glasses

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

When it's very cold and I wear a scarf without my contacts in my glasses fog up. This simple observation tells me a cloth bandanna or whatever will not be effective at stopping a virus.

Your virus knowledge is lacking which is unsurprising since a heart virus killed Goku

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Sir Tonk posted:

oh no my glasses

warby parkorona

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Google Butt posted:

Depends on whether or not you think the economy will still exist when you want to retire. Assuming an average annual rate of return of 5%, your 20,000 will be worth 110,000 in 35 years even if you didn't put another penny in.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Yesh posted:

Your virus knowledge is lacking which is unsurprising since a heart virus killed Goku

Goku was the only one who ever had the virus

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
it sucks i need a new glasses prescription but there are no optometrists

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Google Butt posted:

good doomsday ec post but basically either capitalism wins and you can buy some food later when the market goes up or capitalism is over and that money is probably worthless anyhow. that or STONKS become too powerful to control in which case you will now be wealther than 95% of americans by owning at least a single stonk

pulling it out probably wont mean poo poo unless ur literally out of money and starving rn

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Mayor Dave posted:

they have online tests now, its legit

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

makes sense, I'm not starving and still have a jorb so ill let it chill

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
press your face to monitor for laser eye surgery

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

anime was right posted:

good doomsday ec post but basically either capitalism wins and you can buy some food later when the market goes up or capitalism is over and that money is probably worthless anyhow. that or STONKS become too powerful to control in which case you will now be wealther than 95% of americans by owning at least a single stonk

pulling it out probably wont mean poo poo unless ur literally out of money and starving rn

Yes, unless you are absolutely desperate for the money its best to hedge your bets and assume the economy will still exist when you want to retire. And yes, I know this is complicated by the fact that like half the country is absolutely desperate for money.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

friends which size crock pot should I get for making lentils, there are way too many different sizes. I'm just making it for myself (SAD!)

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

surgical masks have. a little wire running at the top which you can mold to fit your face so your glasses don’t fog up. maybe you could do the same with these sew at home masks?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

anime was right posted:

reminder that goku died in one timeline because he didnt take a heart virus seriously lmao

lmao

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

friends which size crock pot should I get for making lentils, there are way too many different sizes. I'm just making it for myself (SAD!)

Get a 6 quart if you have room/money to allow for it. It will save you the annoyance of having to scale up later.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Mayor Dave posted:

In Texas, an optometrist managed to stay open during the stay at home orders due to the fact that they were also FFL dealers. Nothing like picking up a rifle and the guy asking about my eye prescription. :v:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZlRSRwU0uw&hd=1

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

kmfdm hasnt really aged that well imho

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1256712571324977152

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

want a meme that says "millennials spend money like this and the dude has pokemon cards and a tshirt that says swag and boomers spend money like this and dude has a ventilator"

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

Isn't this literally the talking dog meme?

Edit: Already posted - TRUMP!

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Starks posted:

surgical masks have. a little wire running at the top which you can mold to fit your face so your glasses don’t fog up. maybe you could do the same with these sew at home masks?

you can fold a square of toilet paper into a small rectangle then put it under the bridge of the mask's nose and it will prevent this and if you do it correctly there will still be a seal like there should be and more so if it's a mask with a gap (that's why it doesn't fog anymore!). People are just looking for excuses to not wear a mask imho

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

helta posted:

Real talk for a second, my wife is being recalled to work after having paid leave for 6 weeks. She's a city bus driver in ontario canada. I requested to be laid off my work knowing that she would be getting her full salary (my work is considered essential but only because some of our customers are in the medical industry). Now that our bubble will be broken, should I go back to work when she does?

Risk remains a sliding scale; it's not a binary thing. You going back to work will bring up the overall risk of the household, just as your wife leaving the house does. It's more dangerous to go to work, but you get money in return. Only you can make the risk/reward judgment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
a virus killed Goku and you're weaker than Goku