Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Ultimate Doge posted:

Lol I wasn't claiming that. Orks are probably the least racist version of orcs

But you did say they were of a lower socioeconomic class than gamers. Which still means that making fun of them is punching down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

sure is a whole lot of elf talk in here

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Fantasy is about making embodiments of deeply felt ideas people have. What part of this are you missing

read a book that isn’t written by Ayn Rand or her Wheel of Time simp.

Varinn posted:

a huge part of colonialist-era scientific racism was classifying people as other species of human, to explain why they were just naturally predisposed to rape and violence, and had to be culled.

creating a world in which this is actually true is extremely weird! orcs can be a different species of human, but describing them as "biologically violent" ABSOLUTELY is hinging poo poo on racist poo poo, dude

“Orcs are savage raiders and pillagers with stooped postures, low foreheads, and pig-like faces with prominent lower canines that resemble a boar’s tusks.”

didn’t know Africans looked like that. I would absolutely love to have boar tusks tbh.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Orcs? You mean like Chewbacca? :troll:

Serf
May 5, 2011

40k orks are a parody of lower-class english people which is why they're cool

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

cool dance moves posted:

Orcs? You mean like Chewbacca? :troll:

no more like the gamorrean guards in jabbas palace :v:

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

like outside of Varg, literally no far-righter compares any human to Orcs. There is literally no human culture on earth that’s like orcs.

It sounds like someone just watched Bright on Netflix and went : "Oh I get it now! Orcs are brown people and elves are asians. It again falls on me, a vegan with an ironic mustache who grew up in a gated community, to save the minorities from this oppression."

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gripweed posted:

But you did say they were of a lower socioeconomic class than gamers. Which still means that making fun of them is punching down

Punching down is good

PawParole posted:

read a book that isn’t written by Ayn Rand or her Wheel of Time simp.

I've never read either of those

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Blood Bowl is a good tabletop game with a lot of lore.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fantasy novels are about a dwarf fighting and killing a series of increasingly large monsters

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

fairy meat is my favorite tabletop.

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

PawParole posted:

like outside of Varg, literally no far-righter compares any human to Orcs. There is literally no human culture on earth that’s like orcs.

It sounds like someone just watched Bright on Netflix and went : "Oh I get it now! Orcs are brown people and elves are asians. It again falls on me, a vegan with an ironic mustache who grew up in a gated community, to save the minorities from this oppression."

There've never been human cultures of raiders, who had lower levels of technology than the people they were raiding, and who were thought of by those people as ugly and savage?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

if half orcs or half elves can have children then its all just racism and there's no species distinction

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

PawParole posted:

“Orcs are savage raiders and pillagers with stooped postures, low foreheads, and pig-like faces with prominent lower canines that resemble a boar’s tusks.”

didn’t know Africans looked like that. I would absolutely love to have boar tusks tbh.

the point is that describing people like that is exactly what the british did when they were writing about the "lesser races", you dunce

nobody is falling for your dumbass "whos the real racist here??" poo poo

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

There've never been human cultures of raiders, who had lower levels of technology than the people they were raiding, and who were thought of by those people as ugly and savage?

the British East India Company?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

fermun posted:

shadowrun has dwarves, elves, orks, and trolls in it as well as humans and the rules book has this helpful little tidbit of information:

so if a dwarf and troll have a kid, what pops out is either a dwarf, a troll, or a human

shadowrun rules

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

PawParole posted:

You're almost there

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I'm with people on fantasy races being racist caricatures in some way, shape, or form, but I don't see how fantasy is inherently fascist. Granted, the genre has been (and largely still is) dominated by fascism and fascist adjacent ideologies, but I don't see how that means fantasy is facist.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Serf posted:

40k orks are a parody of lower-class english people which is why they're cool

Orks were inspired by soccer hooligans, but they have a lot going on beyond that. Now Blood Bowl Halflings, those are just English people

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

You're almost there

enlighten me of the great Indian raid on blighty, where they nicked the brits sense of taste and took it back to Delhi.

Varinn posted:

the point is that describing people like that is exactly what the british did when they were writing about the "lesser races", you dunce

nobody is falling for your dumbass "whos the real racist here??" poo poo

it’s a description, your supposed to describe everything in a descriptive way. Look at the wiki page for humans

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo
Talking about orks and racism reminded of Norf FC. That poo poo is so funny

Serf
May 5, 2011

MizPiz posted:

I'm with people on fantasy races being racist caricatures in some way, shape, or form, but I don't see how fantasy is inherently fascist. Granted, the genre has been (and largely still is) dominated by fascism and fascist adjacent ideologies, but I don't see how that means fantasy is facist.

in the words of matt christman "all art is inherently reactionary"

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
just play RIFTS TMNT

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

every lovely fantasy book reads like this

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Serf posted:

the orc discourse

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Varinn posted:

every lovely fantasy book reads like this

the English are well-renowned for their ability to jerk themselves off in any medium at all times

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Serf posted:

the orc discorc

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

I wonder if this lady devoted the whole of her obsessive energy somewhere else, she could probably get something slightly more consequential done like getting one of the more 20 subreddits that exist to teach Nazism to Minecraft-playing teenagers banned, instead of whatever this is.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PawParole posted:

orcs are classist, not racist. Mordor and the Orcs represent the “New Industrilized England” and the factory working class, while the shire represents the old England of roast beef and rural living.

The real irony in all of this is that tolkein conceived of the orcs as the corrupted industrial working class who were violently throwing the world out of balance with nature, unlike the "good" rural working class of happy-go-lucky peasants represented by the hobbits. This is a super british trope, but it's more Blake's "dark satanic Mills" than Kipling's "Gunga Din"

orwell's the road to wigan pier, or my life among the orcs

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Is the orcs guy the same one who did the 'maybe you're the real racist if you see watto as a negative ethnic stereotype' posts or do podcast threads just attract a certain type

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PawParole posted:

The EIC absolutely did not have lower levels of technology than the people they were raiding, the only real driver behind their success was "better guns, better at firing guns"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the only remotely good thing associated with wh40k is bolt thrower

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

The "orcs are a different species" defense doesn't really work since the idea that there are significant biological differences between races is still popular today, even among liberals. Zootopia is a good example of this

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Serf posted:

in the words of matt christman "all art is inherently reactionary"

That's just pablum

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

did the romans think the goths were ugly?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mr. Lobe posted:

did the romans think the goths were ugly?

No, in fact they famously wanted a goth gf

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cnidaria posted:

The "orcs are a different species" defense doesn't really work since the idea that there are significant biological differences between races is still popular today, even among liberals. Zootopia is a good example of this

ime biological racism is pretty easily debunkable in liberals, but they have an annoying tendency to just substitute some ineffable cultural factor for biology

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

ime biological racism is pretty easily debunkable in liberals, but they have an annoying tendency to just substitute some ineffable cultural factor for biology

it's more a proxy for class e.g. jd vance

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

V. Illych L. posted:

oh yeah that's true and extremely annoying

also just remembered that black people in the elder scrolls games are a different fantasy race than the white people which is yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Cnidaria posted:

oh yeah that's true and extremely annoying

also just remembered that black people in the elder scrolls games are a different fantasy race than the white people which is yikes

to be fair, so are Swedish people.

the black people are "natural warriors" though. :hmbol: