Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Falukorv posted:

I wonder whos idea it was to make lynxes of all animals ferocious mankillers.
wait until you fight a boar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I liked the random fart joke boss fight

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

exquisite tea posted:

I think a back-to-basics Far Cry concept that went pure immersive sim, zero UI elements with an emphasis on survival would be pretty terrifying and incredible on next-gen systems if they thought the formula was in need of a reboot.

i mean id love to go back to the grayness of 2 and 4 witht the gameplay and systems of 5.

Winklebottom posted:

the male protagonist should have been named Halfdan so he could be the one to carve "Halfdan was here" in the Hagia Sophia

i love poo poo like that. its like the graffiti in pompeii.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Gobbeldygook posted:

wait until you fight a boar

I have, but its not as much of a stretch as boars have actually injured and in rare cases killed people.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

JustaDamnFool posted:

I'm pretty certain there was a very small amount of Irish monks settled on Iceland before the Danes arrived, so if they set a DLC there that makes a decent excuse to have human enemies kicking about.

I may be a little biased since I'm Icelandic but yeah, it makes sense for DLC purposes, especially if they need a blank slate to do fantasy/Isu things. Not the whole country but perhaps the area around the small islands where the monks settled plus something inland. They would need to get a bit creative because the actual place isn't quite as exciting as it might sound.

I could also see them doing DLC that focuses on Norse mythology where you meet Odin or Loki or whoever, traveling to remote snow-covered mountains in Norway.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSURd15qfWQ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everyone go watch The Last Kingdom on Netflix so we can all be on the same page here, and learnéd scholars of pre-Norman England

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

zoux posted:

Everyone go watch The Last Kingdom on Netflix so we can all be on the same page here, and learnéd scholars of pre-Norman England

realtalk, it's a fun show and they get a lot of details right. the casting is generally quite good as well.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

zoux posted:

I was thinking about starting season 3 last night for this very reason, but I'm gonna wait til we get closer to release. I have too many other series to catch up on. I'm with ya though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

isk posted:

realtalk, it's a fun show and they get a lot of details right. the casting is generally quite good as well.

Oh it's great. Moves like a rocket too.

Anyone have anything to say about what weapon types to use in Origins? I got a predator and hunter for bows and a regular sword and spear for melee. Both have the big attack overpower, which I prefer to the Ares' Rush overpower

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 2, 2020

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Falukorv posted:

I have, but its not as much of a stretch as boars have actually injured and in rare cases killed people.

RIP Big Bobby Baratheon

zoux posted:

Netflix also has Norsemen, which is 'Vikings, but a comedy' originally made by a Norwegian TV channel. Possibly not for everyone, but I quite liked the Scandinavian style of humour it has.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

zoux posted:

Anyone have anything to say about what weapon types to use in Origins? I got a predator and hunter for bows and a regular sword and spear for melee. Both have the big attack overpower, which I prefer to the Ares' Rush overpower

These are fine choices.

Shields are stupidly strong against most enemies, especially against crowds with archers. Later shields have nice effects like poison/etc on block.

1h weapons can work on bosses/elites that punch thru shield block, just change the approach a bit. Charge up heavy attack, wait for a dodge opportunity, release charge at their back, use Overpower as it comes up. For elite weapon effects, I like Health on Kill for crowds and Health on Hit for bosses. The latter's often just enough to get back into a lost health block and let it auto-regen from there.

I usually go with Predator/Hunting Bows but switch to Light Bows for some of the special high level fights. The extra speed's nice when dodging adds and attacks.

2h in Origins can be fun but for me the shield is integral for crowds most of the time, and some (all?) lose any built-up heavy charge while dodging. Wouldn't be surprised if that's a reason why Odyssey doesn't have shields.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ErrEff posted:

I could also see them doing DLC that focuses on Norse mythology where you meet Odin or Loki or whoever, traveling to remote snow-covered mountains in Norway.

There's kind of a running theme among the last several Assassin's Creeds where the DLCs go into a more mythological direction.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Did they ever unbork the apparently severely borked AC3 remaster that came with Odyssey's season pass?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

zoux posted:

Oh it's great. Moves like a rocket too.

Nthing The Last Kingdom being a good watch.

In terms of bows, I always felt like the warrior and hunter bows just didn't really work. The warrior bow had too short a range and the hunter bow was ineffective unless charged, and I didn't really feel safe using either in combat. The predator is a really good long range/stealth tool and the light bow felt like the best option for once you're in combat, just because it's quick enough that it's fairly safe to use.

As for melee weapons, I was definitely a sword/sickle sword guy for most of the game, especially when things actually got tough, but I did have a fun time with heavy blades as well. They both had decent range and reliable sweeping style attacks, and the swords have a really good attack speed as well. Nothing else felt good at all really, I struggled to get them to connect consistently without putting myself in danger, and whenever I did manage it I couldn't separate myself from the knowledge that I could have done the fight way easier by switching into a sword.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah watched the first episode of last kingdom and it was pretty good.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah watched the first episode of last kingdom and it was pretty good.

It's based on a book series, so the writing stays pretty consistent throughout the show so far.

Can't wait to play the new AC and scream

"SHIELD

WALL"

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I like the book series as well - fun historical fiction stories that have plenty of dirt and hardship without getting excessively cruel. Author's Bernard Cornwell, the same dude who wrote the Sharpe stories, which were adapted to television some years back starring one Sean Bean. Also, unlike certain authors whose stories were adapted to television, he actually finishes what he starts (with the 13th Last Kingdom/Saxon Stories book due this fall). So that's a whole lot of material for ya before Valhalla comes out.

Anyway, I'd say the show stays reasonably true to the books. Some characters are combined or altered, like Leofric does in season 2 some of what Steapa does in the books. Wasn't thrilled with one major change in S3, and I don't think they cast the best guy for Aethelwold (the actor does well with the material but in the books he's way more magnetic). Overall, though, I enjoy both.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I tried another few hours of Unity today and as much as I want to like it and as much as it is a beautiful game, I feel like it's a really refined version of the AC2 trilogy.
The crowdsizes are amazing and I don't think another game has done anything like that since, and Paris is lovingly rendered, but I think that style of game may just be too far gone to be fun anymore.

You start to see the open world stretching seams almost immediately.

I feel like I'm on the verge of having fun but never quite getting there.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 3, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I tried another few hours of Unity today and as much as I want to like it and as much as it is a beautiful game, I feel like it's a really refined version of the AC2 trilogy.
The crowdsizes are amazing and I don't think another game has done anything like that since, and Paris is lovingly rendered, but I think that style of game may just be too far gone to be fun anymore.

You start to see the open world stretching seems almost immediately.

my issue is it never does poo poo with the setting, but its an ok game.

isk posted:

I like the book series as well - fun historical fiction stories that have plenty of dirt and hardship without getting excessively cruel. Author's Bernard Cornwell, the same dude who wrote the Sharpe stories, which were adapted to television some years back starring one Sean Bean. Also, unlike certain authors whose stories were adapted to television, he actually finishes what he starts (with the 13th Last Kingdom/Saxon Stories book due this fall). So that's a whole lot of material for ya before Valhalla comes out.

Anyway, I'd say the show stays reasonably true to the books. Some characters are combined or altered, like Leofric does in season 2 some of what Steapa does in the books. Wasn't thrilled with one major change in S3, and I don't think they cast the best guy for Aethelwold (the actor does well with the material but in the books he's way more magnetic). Overall, though, I enjoy both.

yeah, i bought the first book on audible and i will try to listen to it soon.

i am just looking for a good documentary/books on the setting.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

You start to see the open world stretching seams almost immediately.

I feel like I'm on the verge of having fun but never quite getting there.

My biggest gripe with Unity was the stealth system. It was so different from all the games before and after it, and it was very unforgiving. Enemies can spot you far too easily and too quickly. I love playing the AC games as stealthily as possibly, but I brute forced my way through Unity.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I think Unity was probably also the peak of "pointless collectibles" dotting the map, including chests you could only open with the companion app that of course no longer works

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

webmeister posted:

I think Unity was probably also the peak of "pointless collectibles" dotting the map, including chests you could only open with the companion app that of course no longer works

I'm noticing they tried something funky with the sidequests too where the conversations don't seem to take control of the camera to make the conversations more... cinematic I guess.
It's weird and makes the side missions feel so tertiary. I get that it was maybe to make the conversations feel more diegetic but it also kinda feels like they didn't want to bother with closer cameras/lip-syncing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It still blows me away that Unity managed to be a game set against the backdrop of arguably one of the most fascinating and interesting periods of human history and somehow made it... boring.

Like, you have to work REALLY hard to do that.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

It still blows me away that Unity managed to be a game set against the backdrop of arguably one of the most fascinating and interesting periods of human history and somehow made it... boring.

It's also just an absolutely stunningly realized city. The free-running feels great, the houses being all like... actual houses you can go into is still amazing.

I also did three missions in a row that were:
1. Go to location
2. Eagle vision for glowing gold things
3. Interact with the gold things
4. Steal/kill the things.

Also the velvet textures are gorgeous. More games need to lean into that velvet. It's up there with the metal pieces in Dragon Age: Inquisition in terms of memorable texturing for me.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am just looking for a good documentary/books on the setting.

I gotchu.

-King Alfred and the Anglo-Saxons on PBS/BBC is pretty good. Hard to find on streaming but it is at least available for rent/purchase on Amazon.
-The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle is a bit dry and dated, but it's free on Kindle and accurate.
-In Search of the Dark Ages is by the same dude who made the PBS/BBC documentary. It's an easier, more modern read than Chronicle, though it covers hundreds of years before/after Alfred and his main progeny.
-Daily Life in Anglo-Saxon England by Sally Crawford is quite good and self-descriptive but harder to find; a local library might have a copy (I was lucky to read a professor's copy in college).
-The Anglo-Saxons by James Campbell's pretty good, too (if also hard to find in paperback/digital).

Also, surprisingly enough, Cornwell does his research and there's a fair bit of history to be gleaned from the books. He uses the old names for towns and cities (Lundene/London, Wintanceaster/Winchester, Eoferwic/York, etc.), he covers Alfred's campaign to build network of burhs (boroughs, basically walled towns with garrisons), he generally depicts daily life and clothing/arms/armor accurately, and he gets the history of battles right (even if certain historical figures are represented as cowards).

Jerusalem posted:

I feel the same way about Paul Revere's ride in AC3. An event that every American kid hears about for a decade plus in grade school, hyped all to hell, and Ubisoft somehow made it not only tedious but annoying. I get a kick out of debunking jingoist lionization so it's not complete trash in hindsight, but eeesh.

*edit

webmeister posted:

Definitive Assassin's Creed tier list:
<snip>
They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but I think the most important thing overall is to space things out. Even playing two of the good games back-to-back makes you sick of the franchise.

Generally agree with this list, and with pacing. A few ACs deliver arguably too much game. Like, Origins and Odyssey back to back is ugh.

isk fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 3, 2020

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Definitive Assassin's Creed tier list:

Real Good
- Odyssey
- Origins
- Black Flag
- Brotherhood

Okay
- Revelations
- Rogue
- Syndicate
- Unity
- AC2

Only If You Like The Setting
- AC3
- AC1

They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but I think the most important thing overall is to space things out. Even playing two of the good games back-to-back makes you sick of the franchise.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, Unity is just very disappointing when you compare it to basically any other game in the series.

I'm noticing they tried something funky with the sidequests too where the conversations don't seem to take control of the camera to make the conversations more... cinematic I guess.
It's weird and makes the side missions feel so tertiary. I get that it was maybe to make the conversations feel more diegetic but it also kinda feels like they didn't want to bother with closer cameras/lip-syncing

It was absolutely to save on dev time. Here's an early side mission example (this will always be etched into my mind because the lady doing the voiceacting is truly earning her pay):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePzrDQeUL1s

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Good
Brotherhood
Revelations
The Chronicles

Middling
Unity
Syndicate
Black Flag
Liberation

Bad
Origins
Odyssey

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Whoa where's all this hate for 2 coming from?

All the weird photoshopped renaissance art and the conspiracy theorist poo poo was actually still really cool back then. It only started to suck after the writer who cared about it left

Or am I colored too much by nostalgia?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Cornwell is good enough, but his constant representation of churchmen as hypocritical and cynical garbage people, and pagans as pragmatic and straightforward gets grating to me. Like I get it, religious institutions have a rich history of corruption, but it gets a bit tiresome when literally every person affiliated with the church is portrayed as a greedy weasel.

Also, the main character in TLK books are very unlikeable IMO, but the guy they cast for the show is much easier to root for, so the show don’t have that problem at least.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 3, 2020

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

All the weird photoshopped renaissance art and the conspiracy theorist poo poo was actually still really cool back then. It only started to suck after the writer who cared about it left

Brotherhood is just 2 but better which harms its rating for me. Like it has the same good writing, same good characters, with slightly tweaked and improved mechanics, and new additions that were fun and good.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I liked AC2 a lot at release. It was refreshing after AC1's clunkiness, and Jesper Kyd's soundtrack still slaps. Ezio remains one of Ubisoft's best leads, maybe in games in general? Lightning in a bottle. Also, Leonardo, and Monteriggioni to a lesser extent.

But booted up now, the gameplay hasn't aged well, like waiting for parry opportunities isn't great and combos take much longer than in Brotherhood. I'd say it's also the start of too many gadgets and tools in the series, but some folks might like the variety.

*edit -

BigglesSWE posted:

Cornwell is good enough, but his constant representation of churchmen as hypocritical and cynical garbage people, and pagans as pragmatic and straightforward gets grating to me. Like I get it, religious institutions have a rich history of corruption, but it gets a bit tiresome when literally every person affiliated with the church is portrayed as a greedy weasel.

Valid, Cornwell does poo poo on the church a lot, but Pyrlig and Beocca are written as generally good people and definitely not greedy. Memory's fuzzy but I want to say there's a few others that Uhtred doesn't like but concedes are moral and just people. Conversely, a lot of the pagans are written as lovely people as well, like (Season 2 of the show/2nd book) Skorpa. Pragmatic, sure, but devious as hell, constantly lies and betrays pretty much everyone.

isk fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 3, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

Brotherhood is just 2 but better which harms its rating for me. Like it has the same good writing, same good characters, with slightly tweaked and improved mechanics, and new additions that were fun and good.

isk posted:

I liked AC2 a lot at release. It was refreshing after AC1's clunkiness, and Jesper Kyd's soundtrack still slaps. Ezio remains one of Ubisoft's best leads, maybe in games in general? Lightning in a bottle. Also, Leonardo, and Monteriggioni to a lesser extent.

But booted up now, the gameplay hasn't aged well, like waiting for parry opportunities isn't great and combos take much longer than in Brotherhood. I'd say it's also the start of too many gadgets and tools in the series, but some folks might like the variety.

I suppose I get it, yeah. I would just say there's something to the sincerity about the meta-narrative that makes it stand out compared to the rest of the series. It felt very sincere and interesting compared to the rest.
It's like the difference between someone who actually believes in the weird conspiracy stuff and the rest of the series kinda feels like a pastiche on the concept.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bad, clumsy combat
Bad plot
The whole plot is just the prologue to a story that never happens (since Brotherhood veered in a completely different direction)
Seriously people whine about 3 having tutorials in sequence 3 when whole new systems are introduced but in 2 you reach the 2/3 mark and there's a tutorial about climbing walls.
Boring and/or kitsch cities except San Gimignano
The dumb Carnival games
Everything good was done better by Brotherhood

The one good point is the ending when Minerva broke the three-and-a-halfth wall. That was funny.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

There's nothing sarcastic about it. I feel only tremendous pity for those whose minds are so poisoned that they cannot enjoy the simple beauty of Number Go Up.

NGU Idle is a game you never have to stop playing

jesus WEP posted:

I did quite like in Origins when you would go back to Siwa and you were just a god one shotting everything and laughing at the 1% of damage an enemy could do to you

Having enemies auto scale to your level is actually optional on both Origins and Odyseeyee but only turned on by default in Ody. Makes a massive difference to play IMO

Wolfsheim posted:

Maybe this time it will be ten minutes of cutscenes you can mash through a la Syndicate instead of twenty minutes of gameplay you have to begrudgingly play through a la Odyssey

I had fun with the little villa team setup in Brotherhood at least :shrug:

gently caress I hate the boat sections! and in Od you have to put time and money into your stupid boat :(

exquisite tea posted:

We need a new thread title.

I vote NORSE CASE SCENARIO

YE SSS

jesus WEP posted:

I liked the size of odyssey but the islands all felt very similar. A pretty fishing village! A forest! A mountain! They were all very pretty and scenic but for the most part quite similar

I felt this too, since Origins really made me change my perspective of Egypt, even though I've been there. It was fuckin fantastic.

Ulio posted:

Eh ya people in the Steam thread get psychotic when a game isn't released on Steam but I never had any issues with any of the other launchers. Ya I would prefer it to be on Steam but its not a big deal. Uplay is totally fine and functional.

If I can have a quick launch icon the desktop then wgaf

isk
Oct 3, 2007

I suppose I get it, yeah. I would just say there's something to the sincerity about the meta-narrative that makes it stand out compared to the rest of the series. It felt very sincere and interesting compared to the rest.
It's like the difference between someone who actually believes in the weird conspiracy stuff and the rest of the series kinda feels like a pastiche on the concept.

I agree, I think the real world stuff peaks in AC2. In addition to the aforementioned mindfuck from Minerva, Rebecca's passionate, Lucy's helpful, and Sean's not yet insufferable. The series took a big turn when Desilets left Ubsoft. He seemed to be the main holder of the original creative vision (which admittedly had flaws but it was at least consistent and interesting).

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Origins is really pretty and I'm still enjoying it lots that's my contribution to the conversation thanks for listening.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

To me Origins and Odyssey are the best in the series, and not just because of recency bias--they're the ones I enjoyed the most while I was playing them. I always found the forced stealth sections annoying, and I'm glad the series moved beyond it, even if it does mean the series lost something in terms of being thematic. If this game makes levels less important while keeping the good things about the newer games, I think that'll be a really great revision to the formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Origins is really pretty and I'm still enjoying it lots that's my contribution to the conversation thanks for listening.

its exceptional mate