Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Reminder that you are expected to put forward bare minimum effort on posts in this thread. Posting single line spam is going to get your probated regardless of if it's correct. If you have a problem with that, post in CSPAM instead, that's what it's for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/1256706588695552005

Now they're trying fumbling attempts at intimidation against the folks covering Read.

good luck, our lad is far too fancy to be convicted of a crime

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

StratGoatCom posted:

Now they're trying fumbling attempts at intimidation against the folks covering Read.

VOTE OUT THE FASCISTS

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Brought to you by NAZCENTBOL GANG

Gentleman Baller posted:

Im just a bit worried, if Trump gets in again, gets to replace RBG, implements one of his big voter suppression schemes the republicans have been trying for, is there a way to come back from it? Any reason to think we could rely on that new supreme court to stop, say, specifically targeted federal id laws, or a special new 'census' just for voter suppression? Or whatever else they have been cooking up? I know my country sees the right to vote as more important than America does but I think that threat would keep me up at night.

the idea that biden would nominate amy coney barrett is pretty much gospel here, despite it being completely untrue

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

nivdes posted:

the idea that biden would nominate amy coney barrett is pretty much gospel here, despite it being completely untrue

Got any quotes from anyone saying this?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

StratGoatCom posted:

I feel that the old quote “Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster" should just be stapled to every Democrat's forehead at this point.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

nivdes posted:

SCOTUS didn't allow the vote-by-mail deadline to be extended in Wisconsin, so the only way for people who hadn't already mailed in their ballots was to vote in person

again, it seems that the actual outrage is that people couldn't capitalize on this to suppress older (i.e. Biden) voters

I made a couple posts on the previous page about how the Biden campaign actively promoted voting on March 17th 2020, did you have any comment on that? I understand the Dems got an easy scapegoat in Wisconsin, but the Ohio primary was delayed while the IL and FL primaries proceeded with emphatic support from the Biden campaign.

Seems a bit at odds with your outrage narrative when I was actually sent to vote in a pandemic in a Dem Trifecta state. Unless you think democratic votes can proceed in a pandemic, in which case I think that tells me plenty about your opinion on voter suppression.

Can we agree that the reasonable, logical, thing would be to delay primaries and force time to figure out a vote by mail solution? And that for some reason the Biden campaign was actively encouraging pandemic voting?

And that entirely cancelling primaries to literally remove leverage from the left is voter disenfranchisement. Period. Pretty much what you expect from the party that daggered ACORN for the Republicans.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 3, 2020

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Gentleman Baller posted:

Im just a bit worried, if Trump gets in again, gets to replace RBG, implements one of his big voter suppression schemes the republicans have been trying for, is there a way to come back from it? Any reason to think we could rely on that new supreme court to stop, say, specifically targeted federal id laws, or a special new 'census' just for voter suppression? Or whatever else they have been cooking up? I know my country sees the right to vote as more important than America does but I think that threat would keep me up at night.

Yeah if he gets in again it’s probably over. It should keep everyone up at night.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah if he gets in again it’s probably over. It should keep everyone up at night.

Might as well make your peace with America now, because Joe Biden is not going to beat Trump.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah well maybe they shouldn't have ran Joe Biden, noted rapist, and white supremacist who is actively hostile to the left

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

are we now at the stage where we acknowledge how massively the left’s chances of seeing any sort of electoral relevance in the foreseeable future are diminished with a second trump victory, but it doesn’t matter anyway because Biden would still be worse

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

nivdes posted:

are we now at the stage where we acknowledge how massively the left’s chances of seeing any sort of electoral relevance in the foreseeable future are diminished with a second trump victory, but it doesn’t matter anyway because Biden would still be worse

Are you just going to keep dropping in with dumb one-line takes and outright lies while never engaging with any of the multitudes of responses you get?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nivdes posted:

You know what yeah

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Oh my response to those questions is simple, the Biden campaign doesn’t run the primaries in the states and neither does the DNC. Those are state election boards which are constrained by state election laws, which may not allow for last minute changes allowing drastic expansions of vote by mail.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fool of sound posted:

Reminder that you are expected to put forward bare minimum effort on posts in this thread. Posting single line spam is going to get your probated regardless of if it's correct. If you have a problem with that, post in CSPAM instead, that's what it's for.

:emoticon:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nivdes posted:

Oh my response to those questions is simple, the Biden campaign doesn’t run the primaries in the states and neither does the DNC. Those are state election boards which are constrained by state election laws, which may not allow for last minute changes allowing drastic expansions of vote by mail.

Okay

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

nivdes posted:

no he just advocated for in person voting and against total mail-in voting. despite the dangers that posed to people.

having your hands tied is one thing. actively advocating for things to not change is another, and biden is drat guilty of that

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

nivdes posted:

If you’re just going to spread falsehoods, pick something less obvious than pretending the DNC has no control over how primaries and caucuses are run.

The DNC threatening to take away all delegates from any state that delays their primary due to covid, “fake news” right?

The DNC reforms allowing us to finally get a first round ballot count out of Iowa, also fake news.

But I’m sure you’re just ignorant and not purposefully saying things you know to be inaccurate.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

saying biden had no choice but to say this bullshit is... bullshit

if biden was the "pays attention to the science" candidate, he wouldn't have said in person voting would be safe. and wisconsin wasn't the only state he pulled that poo poo in either

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Do not assume that because one group of people are villains then their opposition must be heros.

I think the logic these people use is less this and more "it's crazy to not focus on the worst threat!"

Like, it's obviously nonsense, since there's no outcome where Republicans are permanently "defeated" and we can then move on to dealing with all the other bad people. But from their perspective it's like if you had two threats approaching you and chose to focus on the lesser one. It's a bad metaphor that doesn't make sense, but most people are bad at analogies.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

nivdes posted:

are we now at the stage where you refuse to acknowledge anybody who actually responds to and engages with your lying or is this another in a long series of once-off lone wolf posts that in no way indicates some sort of pattern that should be opposed on a more general level

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Ytlaya posted:

I think the logic these people use is less this and more "it's crazy to not focus on the worst threat!"

Like, it's obviously nonsense, since there's no outcome where Republicans are permanently "defeated" and we can then move on to dealing with all the other bad people. But from their perspective it's like if you had two threats approaching you and chose to focus on the lesser one. It's a bad metaphor that doesn't make sense, but most people are bad at analogies.

"the enemy of my enemy is my friend" only makes sense if the enemy of your enemy will side with you instead of your enemy

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair, it's incredibly in-character for liberals to try and justify their reprehensibility by shouting "IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR US!" before pulling the trigger (for joe biden)

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Condiv posted:

"the enemy of my enemy is my friend" only makes sense if the enemy of your enemy will side with you instead of your enemy

Yeah its this, I personally would rather the centrist establishment dems and the fascist bloodsucker GOP go to war with and destroy each other, since that leaves my side to slide in during and after the chaos and clean up

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

fool of sound posted:

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: VVV Yeah, but if you don't give more effort there's a good chance you'll be the one probated, despite responding to a blatant troll who's putting out even less effort, and will continue to do so unpunished.

Called it. So, nivdes is going to be allowed to keep making one-to-two sentence posts that have no basis in reality and are clearly meant to make people mad, ignore any responses that address how stupid they are, and then post about how people are just sticking their heads in the sand and refusing to acknowledge reality? Because it's been going on unabated for a while.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

For those that are pro-Biden, would you be willing to vote for a future political candidate that openly and proudly states they refused to vote for Biden in 2020? Like say a future senate candidate or governor.

Is that acceptable political leadership to you?

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Trabisnikof posted:

For those that are pro-Biden, would you be willing to vote for a future political candidate that openly and proudly states they refused to vote for Biden in 2020? Like say a future senate candidate or governor.

Is that acceptable political leadership to you?

Such a candidate would have a very hard time winning the Democratic nomination for such an office if they’re that divisive and sectarian from the outset.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Called it. So, nivdes is going to be allowed to keep making one-to-two sentence posts that have no basis in reality and are clearly meant to make people mad, ignore any responses that address how stupid they are, and then post about how people are just sticking their heads in the sand and refusing to acknowledge reality? Because it's been going on unabated for a while.

Use your report button.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I dunno. Liberalism in America, at least, has a very pervasive narrative of good versus bad. There are black hats, there are white hats, and obviously I am a white-hat, so therefore they must be black-hats. All villains must be fought, and that automatically makes the fighters heroes. We gotta support the troops, after all.

That's how we digest suffering. The cause must be human, and the solution is always conflict.

You can see it in the how we address our national crises. Everything is a war. A war on drugs, a war on poverty. poo poo, take a look at the news. It's now a war on Covid. The Republicans are crude in their characterizations. They say the quiet part out loud. They call it the "invisible enemy".

The Biden supporters don't see this as "just another election" any more than you could call any armed conflict "just another war." The election in 2004 was "the most important election ever! Vote or die, motherfucker! Vote or die!" So was 2008. In 2012, we couldn't have the architect of Romneycare victorious, he was a Republican! Who cares if he's nearly identical to our guy? He's their guy.

So don't think of the liberals as whiny, disingenuous, or amoral. Their morality is the fight itself. Evil is defined as them, good is defined as us. They have to vote for a rapist. He's with us fighting them.

And if they pop into the thread to recruit you, just smile, nod, and dodge the draft.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

nivdes posted:

Such a candidate would have a very hard time winning the Democratic nomination for such an office if they’re that divisive and sectarian from the outset.

For the rest of folks: I've seen "party loyalty" talked about as an unmitigated good a lot from Biden boosters, but I don't understand what the real benefit of it is, especially in politics. The idea that people shouldn't be critical of each other, or ever find enough difference that they actively oppose each other, just because they're in the same big tent, feels wrong to me. Yes, it's important to present a united front when discussing issues you agree on, but why are folks so concerned about presenting a united front even while very much disagreeing?

Like, right now, the question is between "support Biden and deny the rape thing," "support Biden despite accepting the rape thing," or "don't support Biden" and the issue is being presented as if the last one is against some cardinal rule. That cardinal rule here being, apparently, "TRUMP" but spoken at a loud enough volume to peak all nearby microphones.

And on another tack, isn't refusing to support the candidate who 1) is very clearly going to lose and 2) no-one actually likes and also 3) raped someone, something that's likely to be seen positively by the voting public during the next election? "Oh, yeah, that rapey guy who almost tanked our entire party? Yeah, look back through the footage, I never supported him." And if it isn't, isn't that a loving bad thing?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StratGoatCom posted:

Intimidation of the press is a thing I recall the nazis doing and being a fan of. Which makes the whole "I have to vote for Biden to stop the neo-nazis" gimmick even funnier.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I feel that the old quote “Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster" should just be stapled to every Democrat's forehead at this point.

No. It should be carved into their heads.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mekchu posted:

No. It should be carved into their heads.

Warren voters are way ahead of you.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Somfin posted:

And on another tack, isn't refusing to support the candidate who 1) is very clearly going to lose and 2) no-one actually likes and also 3) raped someone, something that's likely to be seen positively by the voting public during the next election? "Oh, yeah, that rapey guy who almost tanked our entire party? Yeah, look back through the footage, I never supported him." And if it isn't, isn't that a loving bad thing?

I really wouldn't take this as a given. You would need those people to accept Biden beating Trump as a practical impossibility at this point, or for Trump to not make things so bad that people who get hurt won't want 'revenge' against people who they feel didn't fight it enough in the general.

At least the many 'lesser evil' voters probably won't be a problem vs Trump Jr, or Trump's third term or whatever horrors 2024 will bring.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

nivdes posted:

so on one hand people are upset that Biden "sent people to their deaths", i.e. to vote, and on the other people are upset that the New York primary was cancelled, presumably to avoid sending people to their deaths

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Are you this ignorant, or do you just think everyone else is

Like who is this performance for, we already know new york held the election and only removed Bernie from the ballot so it had nothing to do with safety

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 3, 2020

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pomp posted:

Yeah well maybe they shouldn't have ran Joe Biden, noted rapist, and white supremacist who is actively hostile to the left

Yep Bernie was the better choice.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Condiv posted:

Really quite amazing seeing claims that dems will address voter suppression while the dems are literally canceling primaries

Look goddamnit I’ve been edging myself hard since this primary started and I can’t come until Biden is officially nominated. Stop hounding me, lieutenant!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Epic High Five posted:

If you want to see how genuine somebody is about expanding ballot access, look up what they've said about a prisoner's right to vote. It's a controversial enough opinion that nobody who is insincere will support it because it's not a wise move if you're just trying to triangulate. "Well they should be able to vote when they serve their time, imho" is a worthless position as that's just leaving it up to the states and not actually taking a stance for justice

Yeah I’ve never understood the logic behind losing the right to vote after a felony (ignoring the obvious racist logic of course). It’s not like some criminal guys gonna say oh wait I could stab this guy but I might lose my right to vote! Better put the knife away lest I lose my precious franchise

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Condiv posted:

I prefer the Schlock Mercenary version:
The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Are you this ignorant, or do you just think everyone else is

Like who is this performance for, we already know new york held the election and only removed Bernie from the ballot so it had nothing to do with safety

It's to try to piss off people they, operating from of unquestioned internalised Great Man Theory, refer to as "Bernie voters," but who the rest of the entire world would call "actually principled center-left-ish-maybe voters." Looking stupid is part of the point, haha you engaged with their obviously facetious argument don't you have egg on your face now

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yep Bernie was the better choice.

I honestly can't tell if this is meant to be read in the sarcastic voice, but in case it is:

Literally anyone that was part of the primary, excluding Bloomberg, would have been a better choice than Biden. Literally loving any of them. Biden was the worst non-billionaire choice.

the_steve posted:

I prefer the Schlock Mercenary version:
The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. No more. No less.

It's a solid position. Additionally, someone who isn't my enemy's enemy doesn't get the benefit of claiming to be.

Rapists don't become comrades just because fascism also exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

you're in a privileged position if they aren't both your enemies