Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Supposedly it's calming. They use the exact same color in hospitals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Sagebrush posted:

Supposedly it's calming. They use the exact same color in hospitals

DC-9s also had a bluish-green cockpit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
In general it's a nice shade but some of those cockpits are... pretty loud, and I don't mean from Soviet turbofans.

"We need a calming color."

"Teal?"

"No that's too calming."

"What about a really, extremely bright, vivid teal that's offensive to look at?"

"Perfect!"

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Boeing will sell you two distinct shades of grey in the 737 line.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Hit me with that symphony in brown.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

e.pilot posted:

Hit me with that symphony in brown.

It's the ideal colour really, you can spill your coffee and nobody will know the better!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

"Oh it's cat III mins? I'll be right here dropping a deuce. Good luck!"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Excuse me is that your own bathroom?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cargo plane?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

man UPS really commits to the branding

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rolo posted:

Really it’s a top ideal solution to the pilot getting locked out of the cockpit while going to take a poo poo, or relying on the FA trolley of doom to prevent a highjacker from getting in the cockpit.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Greg12 posted:

Paramotor vs Ultralight:

Has anybody done both? Has anybody done either?

I'm interested in starting. Get training, obviously, and thankfully I'm in a place where schools are reasonably convenient.

It seems like the benefits of paramotor over ultralight are "WOOO TAKE OFF FROM THE PARK!" "is the most like being a bird including motor-off gliding," and "is small enough to fit in the garage or in the trunk of the car," and just general, "WOOOOO FUN!"

While the benefits of ultralight over paramotor are "wing doesn't collapse," "structural members don't get tangled or snag on prop," "instructor can fly with you in a light sport two-seater," "faster," and "same control surfaces as a real airplane, so can help eventually get a license."

My plan, if I'm still interested when the schools reopen, is to take an introductory flight with the ultralight instructor just to see if being up in the sky without a windshield makes me freeze or panic before I spend the big bucks.

I'd like to read anything you have to say about one vs the other or just any experience you have.

So, I'm training for my ultralight license (or was until coronavirus shut everything down...hopefully I'll be able to get back in the air sometime this summer, until then it's online ground school for me). I strongly recommend getting an intro flight just because it will probably give you a very good idea whether it's something you want to continue with; for me it was kind of scary but also incredibly fun, and as I've continued it's gotten more fun and less scary.

It's worth noting that what "ultralight" actually means varies with region. Here (Ontario) it covers powered paragliders, wing-and-trike aircraft, and itty bitty airplanes -- same license, different type ratings. So "same control surfaces as a real airplane" is not a given, since they all have very different controls and aerodynamic characteristics. My understanding is that here most people who want to fly "real airplanes" start with a recreational or private pilot license, since those let you fly ultralights as well, but also cover full-size (small) aircraft and are easier to step up from to more advanced licenses; the PPL, in particular, can be extended with multi-engine, night-flight, and IFR ratings, which you can't do with the RPL or ULPL.

In my case, I'm training on wing-and-trike, since I really like the open-cockpit aspect; I'm planning to do an intro flight with a small-plane type ultralight when the flight school reopens just to see what it's like, but I strongly suspect I'll stick with the trike. Powered paragliders are appealing, since what I like about flying is the experience of being in the air rather than the ability to go high or far, and they're even smaller and more versatile -- but the nearest air school that offers training on PPGs is 2+ hours away.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

PT6A posted:

Really it’s a top ideal solution to the pilot getting locked out of the cockpit while going to take a poo poo, or relying on the FA trolley of doom to prevent a highjacker from getting in the cockpit.

That depends entirely on what the other pilot ate for dinner.

Edit: On a related note if you've never read it the saga of Tyler Wojo you're missing out on some pilot history:

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 30, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Yes :smuggo:

hobbesmaster posted:

Cargo plane?
Also yes

KodiakRS posted:

That depends entirely on what the other pilot ate for dinner.

Edit: On a related note if you've never read it the saga of Tyler Wojo you're missing out on some pilot history:

The stuff of legend. :911:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Captain Apollo posted:

What mount? I have a ram mount when I would keep the iPad on the windshield but with all my upgrades I’ll mount it to the yoke. Any mount you prefer to mention?

The mount in the picture I posted was 3d printed.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2078469/

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
For ease of reading, here's a transcript of the Great Lakes story above, stolen from airlinepilotforums with a bit of reformatting by me.:

quote:

After departing the gate on time, and subsequently waiting at 2E for approximately 20 minutes for substantial ground traffic, we began to taxi north on taxiway Mike. In the vicinity of "Echo Delta" I experienced what can be described as a gastro-intestinal "discomfort". The mild nature of this ailment coupled with my type-A personality and a need to complete our mission exactly to our scheduled time-on-target resulted in a PIC decision to press on.

Approximately 300 meters south of taxiway Zulu, I then experienced a second gastro-intestinal "grumble" of a signifigantly elevated magnitude. Instantly, my mind replayed visual renditions of the famous, albiet somewhat mythical, "Tyler Wojo" incident. Approximately 100 meters south of taxiway Zulu, I then experienced what many have described as the "Meat Sweats". With persperation running down my forehead, and the statement "I didn't quite make it" (the exact words said to me by Wojo himself), I quickly evaluated my options. So it was now: stabbing pains, Wojo folklore, and #10 for takeoff. I then made perhaps the greatest command decision in my aviation career.

I directed the FO to ask Ground for a taxi via Zulu to the west side for a return to the gate to "get some new paperwork". The passengers were also informed of our "paperwork" requirement. Ground Control said "approved, contact the west side on 127.5". While in mid-clench, I managed a strained, yet still professional, "roger".

Abeam the Continental hangar I briefly considered the vast amount of commodes that must exist inside. It was then, as I contemplated a plausable explination to the passengers why we were going to park at the Continental Maintenance hangar, all of my ailments and "internal pressures" instantly vanished. It was at that moment that I knew I was going to make it! However, I did not want to succumb to the pitfal of being overconfident (i.e. the 2007 New England Patriots) and the almost always negative consequences of said over overconfidence. We continued to "taxi with a purpose", while still being safe and under control.

We were parked in Zone 5, and performed a normal, albiet, "brisk" shutdown. I then grabbed the clipboard (thus completing my "new paperwork" illusion) and then proceded to: 1-Open the cabin door. 2-Tell the passengers "I'll be back". 3-Smartly move down the airstairs. 4-Run at a speed normally observed only in sub-atomic particles to the nearest latrine, clipboard still in hand.

After a successful completion of "the download", I returned to the aircraft, bounded up the stairs, showed the clipboard to the passengers stating, "We're good to go". We then taxied out, departed, and arrived at North Platte with no further incidents.

It was not until I settled down in my hotel room that I allowed myself to bask in the introspective and glorious reccount of the successful outcome of the earlier events normally reserved only for athletes of Major Sports Championship teams. It is essential to illustrate that this was slightly tempered by the possible lapse in judgement to skip my "Noon Poop".

and the referenced "Tyler Wojo Incident" story, also thanks to a poster on airlinepilotforums:

quote:

Tyler Wojo was born on July 4th 1977 to a single mother in Gayville, SD. She knew right away that she just gave birth to a very special boy. At an early age Tyler's mother found he had a curious penchant for pooping in odd places. In fact he would even take the trouble to poop in the cat’s food dish and crawl into the cupboards to christen the Tupperware. For some reason he really liked spare tires. At the age of 9 Tyler’s mother received word that his father used to be a seaman aboard a navy vessel that would spend months at sea. To help him find out who his father was, they packed up all of their belongings and moved to San Diego. Unfortunately after months of searching they find out the truth. Tyler’s father had run off with another man and opened a mechanical bull/martini bar in San Francisco. Would Tyler follow in his father’s footsteps? The jury is still out. However, the story gets even more tragic. Tyler became a Chargers fan.

The years went by and Tyler found a love for aviation. After years of hard study and hours of flight training, Tyler finally realized his dream of becoming an airline pilot. Though he received offers from all the Top Regionals he chose Great Lakes Airlines. That way I’m only there a couple of years tops before moving on he said to himself. One snowy Denver night Tyler suddenly proclaimed he was going to shock the world. Though he didn’t really know how at the time, he knew the muse would strike when the time was right. Well the muse struck, and it struck hard.

While cruising quietly at FL230 in his trusty Beechcraft 1900, the unthinkable happens, a fart that is not a fart. Yes folks, he sharted. Though it was just a little one, Tyler suddenly felt the dam may not hold. In a panic he looks over to his First Officer, fresh off IOE, and fills him in on the impending emergency. But we are 40 minutes from landing the FO blurts out. Then like a vision, Tyler flashes back to his youth when he would crawl around in a confined dark area to find a suitable pooping receptacle. As a grin spreads across his face, Tyler tells his FO, don’t worry everything is going to be alright. Using quick thinking, Tyler makes a PA announcement to the passengers stating that there has been a discrepancy in the paper work and he needs to get an accurate bag count. That being said he grabbed the clipboard and his trusty Maglite and proceeded to the baggage compartment. Though the passengers thought it was highly unusual, they were set at ease by Tyler’s confident stroll and uncanny ease of tumbling into the baggage compartment. Just as Tyler thought he was home free a new dilemma struck him. There staring back at him was both a large plastic container and a spare tire. Not prepared for this conundrum, Tyler looked back and forth between the two. How can I choose he asks himself? Then the rumbling commenced and Tyler was forced to make a command decision.

Crisis averted, Tyler made his was back up to the flight deck. Every thing checks out he told the passengers, who had waited in anticipation, as he walked by. Though all were relieved that their bags did indeed make it to their destination, the passengers did notice a curious odor permeated through their bags. As Tyler settled into his seat, the FO just stared back at him. Even during his thousands of hours flying Army choppers had he seen anything like this. Knowing the impact of what just happened, Tyler felt he should say something. A man of few words, he simply suggested, we better call Alpha 2 for the kit.

And there you have it. Tyler Wojo. Some think he is nine feet tall and shoots fireballs from his arse (figuratively speaking of course). But really he is just a normal man that walks among us. But because of Tyler Wojo, rest assured, every self respecting Nineteenhundo operator now carries the Wojo approved E-Kit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

There’s two types of pilots: foolhardy ones, and ones that know that there, but for the grace of God, go all of us.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

My province has announced plans to start re-opening things.

Where does flight instruction fall under that? Well, if you consulted the official announcement, you'd have no loving idea because no form of vocational or post-secondary education is mentioned! But at least we know when we can get our nutsack waxed, that's been weighing on me... :rolleyes:

EDIT: It turns out they did mention post-secondary upon a closer reading, but in a way that provides no actual information, saying simply "how instruction is delivered will depend on the restrictions that are in place during each stage." And apparently even the last, least restrictive stage will require 2m social distancing (but masks are neither encouraged nor required in public at that point? :psyduck:) so I guess RIP flight training.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 1, 2020

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

My province has announced plans to start re-opening things.

Ontario? The not-a-plan leaves a lot to be desired...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Desi posted:

Ontario? The not-a-plan leaves a lot to be desired...

Alberta.

I was making fun of Ontario because, hey, we may have elected a moron, but he's not as bad as Doug Ford.

But he is, in fact, worse.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

American retired the A330-300, 757, 767-300, CRJ-200 (PSA), and E190 today. All of them.

Delta will retire the remaining MD-88s (scheduled to go in December) and MD-90s (rumored to be staying to 2022) by the end of June.

The skies get more boring (but, hey, multiple reports have a 757+ and 767X coming, so there's that...hopefully): https://www.reuters.com/article/aircraft-projects/planemakers-slow-plans-for-new-jets-as-they-focus-on-survival-idUSL5N2CF5PN

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 1, 2020

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

Alberta.

I was making fun of Ontario because, hey, we may have elected a moron, but he's not as bad as Doug Ford.

But he is, in fact, worse.

Tell 'em you guys will burn 100% Grade A Alberta Beef AvGas and you'll be at the top of the list! And yeah, colour me surprised that the former hash dealer brother of the former crack smoking mayor of Toronto Doug freakin' Ford is handling this thing better than most of the continent. Yeah I'm antsy for details on how/when we reopen, but compared to some of the dumpster fire governments we have around, you know what, won't complain.

On a side note, I've got a lead on an instructing job as soon as schools reopen. From regional Captain, to mainline widebody FO in training, back to flight instructing. Man, these last two months hit hard :bang:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
United is probably parking a number of 757s/767s... if not all of them... we'll see.
Yuug Displacement bid coming today.

I've been furiously throwing apps out because Oct 1 my rear end is unemployed in 95% of scenarios, but zero phone calls or responses yet. Turns out a 4000TT airline pilot without any 135 types is not very marketable to most 135s. (not a shocker).

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Can’t wait to fly all these retired 767s with holes hastily cut into them by a fly by night company in Israel. :sludgepal:

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Any Part 107 guys/people with experience with DJI drones here?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Prefect Six posted:

Any Part 107 guys/people with experience with DJI drones here?

We're in the drones thread!

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Thanks, let me mansplain my eyes/search ability :downswords:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Holy gently caress, even when I knew a yuug displacement bid was coming today, I didn’t expect just under 5000 pilots.

I am so hosed. At least I have to October 1st but this is like a bandaid being ripped off slowly. Godspeed goons, the pilot shortage sure didn’t last long.
I think I’m gonna have to start applying for jobs outside aviation sadly if nobody calls soon.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
A lot can change in 6 months.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

The Slaughter posted:

Holy gently caress, even when I knew a yuug displacement bid was coming today, I didn’t expect just under 5000 pilots.

I am so hosed. At least I have to October 1st but this is like a bandaid being ripped off slowly. Godspeed goons, the pilot shortage sure didn’t last long.
I think I’m gonna have to start applying for jobs outside aviation sadly if nobody calls soon.

Welcome to the furlough squad, Star Alliance bro. I've got leads on instructing jobs but most likely will leave aviation til I get the call back to Mapleflot. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes to take a lovely flying job - my eventual position back to the Big Show is guaranteed so my resume doesn't matter, and I can probably make more money as a trucker or something when compared to the poo poo-tier flying jobs. Plus I no longer have any interest in lovely life-risking positions in the north.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Desi posted:

Welcome to the furlough squad, Star Alliance bro. I've got leads on instructing jobs but most likely will leave aviation til I get the call back to Mapleflot. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes to take a lovely flying job - my eventual position back to the Big Show is guaranteed so my resume doesn't matter, and I can probably make more money as a trucker or something when compared to the poo poo-tier flying jobs. Plus I no longer have any interest in lovely life-risking positions in the north.

This is what I would do if I was on furlough from one of the majors. I would bum around doing whatever gigs pay the bills. If I were single and debt free, now would be a good time to backpack. Do you keep your travel benefits?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Captain Apollo posted:

A lot can change in 6 months.

As I said in a presentation I did for a handful of my company's employees a couple weeks ago, the airline industry ground to a halt, but the clock kept moving. I wonder how many jobs are going to be created by the fact that people are going to hit retirement age whether they fly or not (assuming those pilots don't go for a buyout or early retirement).

Still, we had two instructors who would have been at regionals right now if not for the pandemic- they were that close to 1,500.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Animal posted:

This is what I would do if I was on furlough from one of the majors. I would bum around doing whatever gigs pay the bills. If I were single and debt free, now would be a good time to backpack. Do you keep your travel benefits?

We do for 12 months with some limitations, namely no flight deck and nothing reciprocal (JS, ZED). I was thinking the same thing, but my dumb rear end bought a condo so now I have mortgage payments. I may see if I can rent it out and go live on a beach in the Caribbean or in SE Asia when the restrictions start lifting.

CBJSprague24 posted:

As I said in a presentation I did for a handful of my company's employees a couple weeks ago, the airline industry ground to a halt, but the clock kept moving. I wonder how many jobs are going to be created by the fact that people are going to hit retirement age whether they fly or not (assuming those pilots don't go for a buyout or early retirement).

We had about 200 of the old-boys take early retirement, out of a total group of about 4,500 so call it a 4.5% staffing reduction off the top of the list. Apparently that was about ~80% of the guys that were eligible for it. My glass half-full view is that this may help us as things ramp back up, as the retirement wave has been accelerated. We were also very understaffed by about 900 (20%) going into this so things are lining up for a decent recovery timeline given we only need to get back to 75.5% of where we were before.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Unfortunately, United isn't huge on early retirements and haven't offered it yet. We'll see if any even get offered. As for the retirement situation, there are some but not as many as you'd think. 218 more this year, 420 next year, 420 the year after that, 498 the year after that. December 2025 still only gets us to 2016 retirements. When you just displaced 4500 pilots, wellllllllll...... we hit 4561 retirements in Dec 2028.
I'm thinking this is a 5 year furlough for me, but that depends on the recovery curve, what they decided to do with the max, if they decide to bring any 757s back into service or 767s as international recovers....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

quote:

Warren Buffett is reversing course on his airlines bet -- again.

The billionaire investor said Berkshire Hathaway Inc. completely exited its stakes in the four major U.S. airlines. The sales of shares of Delta Air Lines Inc., Southwest Airlines Co., American Airlines Group Inc. and United Airlines Holdings Inc. made up most of the company’s $6.5 billion in equity sales in April.

During his live-streamed annual meeting, Buffett said the business has fundamentally changed following the economic fallout from the coronavirus pandemic. He declined to blame the performance of the airline CEOs, adding that he doesn’t envy their jobs, especially in a period like this.

“The world changed for airlines and I wish them well,” Buffett said Saturday in a webcast.

:thunkgun:

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

The Slaughter posted:

Unfortunately, United isn't huge on early retirements and haven't offered it yet. We'll see if any even get offered. As for the retirement situation, there are some but not as many as you'd think. 218 more this year, 420 next year, 420 the year after that, 498 the year after that. December 2025 still only gets us to 2016 retirements. When you just displaced 4500 pilots, wellllllllll...... we hit 4561 retirements in Dec 2028.
I'm thinking this is a 5 year furlough for me, but that depends on the recovery curve, what they decided to do with the max, if they decide to bring any 757s back into service or 767s as international recovers....

That's a raw deal. To be fair our union guys had to agree to 55 hour blocks and in exchange we got the early retirement packages and a cap of 600 furloughs til September (the deal was signed early March). Not to beat on the optimism drum too much in these lovely times, but there are some wildcards out there - Cargo has been huge for us. They ripped the seats out of 6 widebodies and are hauling a monumental amount of cargo. Combined with the belly-freight only flights, something like 20+ freighters a day. There was a conga line of 4 triples into NRT and PVG alone the other day. They pulled off SYD-YYZ non-stop on an 87. I wouldn't put it past UA to start going after Atlas/Kalitta/etc's lunch.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Since our management makes the stupidest possible decision on everything, they refused an offer of 50 credit no-flying lines by telling the union that "we don't want to pay people to stay home".

Immediately after making that announcement, they cut flying back by 80%, so they're now paying 80% of the pilots 70+ credits to stay at home and never fly on reserve, so that's some serious cost savings there.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I made my first flight in 6 weeks today. My flight school is opening back up tomorrow. That was the longest that I have gone without flying in my short aviation career (and the longest our school’s owner has gone without flying in his!)

I took a 2 hour tour all around SoCal, and I think I heard maybe half a dozen commercial flights on with approach all afternoon. Every tower asked me if I wanted flight following before I could even ask them. Heard a Cirrus inbound VFR to LAX. Wild stuff.

Good to be back in the air though! Good thing I’m still like 1,000 hours shy of ATP mins, and I’ve heard from a bunch of my students already so hey maybe I’ll be back to a somewhat normal schedule soon... maybe

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Couldn't he just find a price he liked if the airline stocks drop much further and buy back in? It would seem to be a much lower risk investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Couldn't he just find a price he liked if the airline stocks drop much further and buy back in? It would seem to be a much lower risk investment.

I assume the logic is probably something like "the the stock is cheap now, but if/when the airlines file bankruptcy, it'll be worth zero".

Since all the major US airlines have taken bailout money, they can't do share buybacks or issue dividends for two years, and because those are probably the only guaranteed way airlines could raise their stock prices for the next few years, it's really not a good time to be investing in airline stocks unless you hate money.