Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
So are there any theorys about where we go when we fight the arbiters of fate? Im assuming its another dimension/reality since the highway we enter the portal on is unfinished, but is complete when we go through the portal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Jimbot posted:

Those Sephiroth theories from a few pages back are some Twin Peaks poo poo (in a good and glorious way). We're dealing with Mr. C, Dale Cooper and Dougie all at once here.

I’ve always felt FFVII and Twin Peaks had yrev, very similar vibes. I’m all about it if this even remotely goes in that direction.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:laffo: The "you're gonna catch holy hell!" line is in the game! Aerith says it if Cloud or Reno step on the flowers too much during their fight.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
[Sephiroth voice] I found you, faker.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

anakha posted:

You can get the manuscripts without completing the quests. The manuscripts are tied to defeating the key monsters, so you can do that and just not talk to the people after that would mark the quest as complete.

Oh really? Well then, that is very helpful. Cheers.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Zarin posted:

Is there a way to still get the Tifa theme by buying candy bars?

The PS4 is under my wife's account, and she doesn't feel like going through the hassle of creating a Japan PS4 account.

Yeah just buy 2 before 5/14. https://butterfingerff7r.com/en-us/CookiesRequired

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

asterioth posted:

So are there any theorys about where we go when we fight the arbiters of fate? Im assuming its another dimension/reality since the highway we enter the portal on is unfinished, but is complete when we go through the portal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfUX9W5TJIQ

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

asterioth posted:

I like to think it's the astral plane just because Sephiroth being stuck there is extremely funny to me.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Freakazoid_ posted:

I kind of agree with you, poo poo really should go off the rails now that they have committed. Falling back to a 1:1 remake not only pisses off those who want cloud and seph to kiss, it pisses off the fans who wanted a 1:1 remaster from the beginning. Nobody wins in that scenario.

I have a feeling that they're going to try to toe the line though. I mean, I would expect the following chapters to have the same level of plot weirdness as this first one. I highly loving doubt we're going completely off the rails. At the same time, it's obviously clear that we aren't get a 1:1 remake. I would, however, expect majority of the game's story beats to remain as they are (just sometimes with a little weirdness at the edges).

Personally, I don't care too much about whether Aerith lives (though I lean toward the side that prefers she still gets merced), but I just don't want it to become this long drawn out heroic sacrifice thing. "Oh, we avoided my death but now I need to sacrifice myself to save the planet" sort of poo poo. I'd prefer something where we get through Temple of the Ancients and think she's fine and going to make it only for her to get offed in a different, surprising way.

Side note - did you know that Gackt has albums named "Rebirth" and Re:Born"? Coincidence? I think not.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bleck posted:

to be fair you could read that minigame being bullshit as intentional foreshadowing

the marching one, I mean, not the dolphin

Cloud riding the dolphin is foreshadowing of him sleeping with Tifa later in the game.

e: Surprised more people didn't pick up on that, really.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 3, 2020

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If somebody, possibly Aerith, is going to die then they'll randomly eat poo poo out of nowhere long before the City of the Ancients, just to catch everybody off guard. Not sure when and by whose hand would make a suitable impact though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Barret gets murked by Dyne in Desert Prison

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man there is just so much crap about Wutai and war, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the changes to the timeline is that Midgar invades them. It'll give us a chance to return to Midgar and care about it a little more. After an entire game of build up, I gotta think that Shinra will play a vastly bigger role in the later events

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

precision posted:

Man there is just so much crap about Wutai and war, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the changes to the timeline is that Midgar invades them. It'll give us a chance to return to Midgar and care about it a little more. After an entire game of build up, I gotta think that Shinra will play a vastly bigger role in the later events

Imagine the heaps and heaps of crap they'll get from the purists.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, I think in the interim 23 years, Kitase and company realized “hey, there’s so much more we could have done with this world and lore and characters” - and this is them taking another stab at the overall basic story, taking the skeleton that was presented in the OG and just running deeper with it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

HD DAD posted:

Honestly, I think in the interim 23 years, Kitase and company realized “hey, there’s so much more we could have done with this world and lore and characters” - and this is them taking another stab at the overall basic story, taking the skeleton that was presented in the OG and just running deeper with it.

But it's not 1:1 with the original therefore it can go to hell and we must sue Square-Enix for false advertising because they used the word "remake".

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If they really want to shock and outrage people they should have Tifa be the one to die.

Not that I want that to happen. She's way too fun to play as.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No, at this point I want them to go bugfuck, just to further gently caress with the rest of the pissed off people.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pollyanna posted:

Imagine the heaps and heaps of crap they'll get from the purists.
One of the big themes in FFVII:R is "We're being forced along this story against our will by Destiny", so there's gonna have to be SOME way to break free of that down the road.

BaDandy posted:

I love when after you get the dress, you're suddenly controlling Aerith and he's walking away from her, in dead silence, and does that same little walk he does in the original. Also when you get the standard hand massage and he's not controllable anymore because he's too busy flexing. Both of these implying that when he gets too distracted, he isn't playable.

Which would be an interesting way to play out later scenes.

For both times it's specifically so YOU can be the one to needle Cloud when he really doesn't want to talk about what he just did.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, that's what I think, too. I wouldn't be surprised if they thought, we could tell a better story with these characters, world, and themes now than we could back then, and we want the freedom to try, and the Whispers let them literalize the conflict between that and the pressure to stay faithful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Final Fantasy VII-3: Jessie Returns

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Punished Jessie, a Woman Deprived of Her Acting Career

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For both times it's specifically so YOU can be the one to needle Cloud when he really doesn't want to talk about what he just did.

Love how needling Cloud is a game mechanic.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But he's SO pretty!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One of the big themes in FFVII:R is "We're being forced along this story against our will by Destiny", so there's gonna have to be SOME way to break free of that down the road.

Honestly, I highly doubt they're going to deviate significantly after the reception this game got. Shame, cause I wanted to see what new things they could do with the game's world and story. If the rest of the games are a 1:1 recreation of the plot, I might not get them, cause I just replayed the original recently.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gologle posted:

Punished Jessie, a Woman Deprived of Her Acting Career

With the increased prominence of the Wutai War, Yuffie will clearly be the Metal Gear analogue

Child soldier, unwilling to accept the defeat of her homeland, seeking the power to defeat the imperialist overlords... a ninja mercenary. Taking back everything she's lost. The world calls for wetwork and she answers. No greater good. No just cause. Shinra sent her to hell, but she's going deeper.

...the Materia Mutts

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Like I'm just so goddamn sick of people loving the game up until chapter 18 and then their post-game discussion being like I'm loving pissed, this game ripped me off, I hate this game and I'll raise my children teaching them to curse the name of Nomura. So your previous opinions were lies, then? God, nerds are the worst.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think it's probably too late to have everything go down exactly the same way. Even if the lesson is ultimately that trying to break destiny was a bad idea, we'd need the characters to get a chance to see things turning out worse first. Having the game just go back on rails without any explanation wouldn't make sense.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Then a lot of people are going to get aneurysms over their favorite game "being ruined forever".

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Then a lot of people are going to get aneurysms over their favorite game "being ruined forever".

I'm not seeing the downside here. I'm not going full 'drink their tears' or anything, but if people only created media designed to be uncontroversial, we'd have a lot less interesting things to watch/play. Aeris wouldn't have died in the first place, for example.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I think future games are less going to be about "fighting fate" (we did that already) and more exploring how what happened in the original game isn't going to protect them anymore. Like 40% of what the time cop ghosts were doing was protecting or watching over the characters.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BaDandy posted:

I think future games are less going to be about "fighting fate" (we did that already) and more exploring how what happened in the original game isn't going to protect them anymore. Like 40% of what the time cop ghosts were doing was protecting or watching over the characters.

The only way fighting fate remains a big part of it is if the characters (and developers) resign themselves to putting the shackles back on somehow and restoring the timeline. In game, the reason would presumably be discovering what you're talking about, that things can get worse.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Are there really that many people upset compared to how many are like "this is literally the best FF has ever been all at once"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
If Aerith is going to die again, I wouldn’t be surprised if Cloud has a mental break and kills her this time, either at the Temple, the Forgotten City, or Icicle Inn. He then runs off on his own to the Northern Crater to join the reunion, with the rest of the party snowboarding chasing him down.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Sinteres posted:

The only way fighting fate remains a big part of it is if the characters (and developers) resign themselves to putting the shackles back on somehow and restoring the timeline. In game, the reason would presumably be discovering what you're talking about, that things can get worse.

But then, things could go way better too. It'll be a good chance to show that they don't need to rely on the previous story to succeed again.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sinteres posted:

I'm not seeing the downside here. I'm not going full 'drink their tears' or anything, but if people only created media designed to be uncontroversial, we'd have a lot less interesting things to watch/play. Aeris wouldn't have died in the first place, for example.

Like I’m of the same opinion too but holy poo poo is it going to be annoying on the level of a screaming baby when it comes to pass.

precision posted:

Are there really that many people upset compared to how many are like "this is literally the best FF has ever been all at once"

Oh yes.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BaDandy posted:

But then, things could go way better too. It'll be a good chance to show that they don't need to rely on the previous story to succeed again.

Yeah, I definitely I don't want them to put the shackles back on, so I hope it's not clearcut that they did the wrong thing and have to find a way to embrace their fate again. It would be the most boring option, and would completely undo the point of this game's ending. I don't want things to be unambiguously more optimistic either though--if Aerith doesn't die, I do think the party needs to see some consequences in the other direction too, even if it's not as literal as killing Tifa or Cloud. Sephiroth seems to have baited them into this, and even if that ends up being a losing gamble for him, we need to see the stakes involved by having him do something hosed up that he didn't do before imo.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Yeah, I'm thinking things could start gradually getting worse through the second game as the timeline gets.......fucky, then things could pick up going into the third game (assuming there's going to be three that is). I wanna see what Sephiroth is planning because they can't not address they in the later games.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 3, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Pollyanna posted:

Like I'm just so goddamn sick of people loving the game up until chapter 18 and then their post-game discussion being like I'm loving pissed, this game ripped me off, I hate this game and I'll raise my children teaching them to curse the name of Nomura. So your previous opinions were lies, then? God, nerds are the worst.

Yeah this bothered me about Mass Effect 3 too. Yeah the ending was poo poo and it’s very disappointing to have the trilogy end like that...but that doesn’t invalidate the previous 30+ hours you enjoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

RatHat posted:

Yeah this bothered me about Mass Effect 3 too. Yeah the ending was poo poo and it’s very disappointing to have the trilogy end like that...but that doesn’t invalidate the previous 30+ hours you enjoyed.

Hard agree.

Pollyanna posted:

FWIW I think it's totally reasonable for people who really wanted a 1:1 faithful remake to decide this isn't the series they wanted after that ending and decide not to buy future installments. I just think they're better off pretending the last bit didn't happen, handwaving away the whispers, and enjoying what was there in terms of characterization than being angry about what they won't be getting going forward.