Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

juggalo baby coffin posted:

does anyone have some top tips for how to wound raiders rather than kill them? i want more recruits but my snipers keep doming suckers.

Clubs and other sources of blunt damage. One thing that's been shockingly effective is having a half-dozen combat-trained alpacas. No, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

does anyone have some top tips for how to wound raiders rather than kill them? i want more recruits but my snipers keep doming suckers.

Don't use snipers, they cause massive damage more than capable of killing instantly. Use low impact weapons and, as noted, blunt weapons.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

There's still a flat chance for enemies to straight-up die when they take enough damage to risk knockdown though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Anticheese posted:

There's still a flat chance for enemies to straight-up die when they take enough damage to risk knockdown though.

This, and it scales with the number of pawns you have, so the more pawns you have, the fewer raiders will survive.

Amusingly, if you get them enough heat stroke to pass out, that bypasses the automatic death thing, and you can get very large numbers of prisoners that way if you work fast. Francis John had a video with that in action the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoG-hCedCRk

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that too, you will still kill most of them if you have a lot of pawns but to minimise it you essentially want to non lethally pain shock them, ideally while minimising the amount of blood loss or infectable wounds. As each hit will have a chance of hitting a different body part, low damage weapons will be more likely to distribute damage across the whole pawn without destroying any vital parts.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Just had a fun Royalty quest.

Something like "A bored prince wants to lure 431 mad hunter tortoises and observe your colony's reaction from his surveillance drone"

It was essentially 24 hours of shooting training for all of my pawns. I had to cycle them in and out to eat some food and pop stimulants. Not sure how I'm going to store all of this lizard skin and meat.

Sweet reward too. 12 royal favor, 2k plasteel, and a couple thousand silver.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm looking for ideas on more organic/aesthetically pleasing colony designs. I end up with a lot of boxes. I've been starting up with god mode and building fully functional compact one-pawn bases but I'm still ending up with a lot of square rooms budding off of a big warehouse.

Does anyone have tips on things like good compact room sizes for various things or screenshots of nice-looking bases that aren't just a bunch of squares?

I usually end up with something vaguely resembling this (with the interior lines being hallways usually):

I make weird abstract art all the time that's pretty cool but I don't know how to combine form and function and in games like rimworld I always end up with boring strictly-function bases, as you can probably tell by my thrilling diagram making skills.

Edit: I don't really care about how efficient they are, since that's what I'm trying to get away from.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 2, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I build under mountains, which necessiates use of corridors a lot. Because you need them for climate control and also to fight off bugs, they have to be at least 3 wide too, I think, in order for you to get a decent gun line going, with 1 tile doors every so often to serve as barriers. Plus if you make them too narrow people get claustrophobic.

So from that you tend to build off into wings dedicated to particular blocks of function such a dormitories or workshops, which are partly dictated by the shape of the mountain and any enclosed open pockets you might hit. You can take advantage of those for ventilation and sky visibility which are important for mountain bases. I generally use walls to make them into regular shapes and then make little courtyards out of them.

There's nothing wrong with blocky designs, but I think it's important to give them structure, rather than just gluing poo poo on at random in random sizes try to separate them with dedicated corridors and pathways and try to align those pathways so that they form crossorads and T junctions which maximise sightlines rather than snaking all over the place or having sections just open into other sections.

Essentially for me, I dig out the corridors first and backfill with rooms, or I might plan out some rooms and then dig a corridor around them and have that define the extents of the section.

That and don't be afraid to just make things that look nice? I ran some covered paths through my outer fields towards the curtain wall. I also try to make colour themes for my rooms when possible. It helps sections of the base seem coherent rather than looking like a jumbled mess.

Also if you have things that function on non-square patterns, like sunlamps/sprinklers, you can build around those too.

Unassisted fields obviously don't need to be any particular shape so you can just divide up those with paths and fill them with whatever.

Use of different tiles can also let you set up patterns for your floors, which also help with keeping measure when you want to build off a section, regular pillars and floor tile patterns really help to make the base feel more structured and tidy.

Break with patterns where the terrain requires it, but otherwise try to keep to them. Standard corridor sizes and room sizes, or multiples thereof, regular architectural features like pillars and alcoves (also good for fighting) and light fixtures help a lot.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 2, 2020

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i've been messing around with the coloured floor tiles from the rimefeller mod to try and jazz up my base. this is a base of androids in the alpha biomes mechanoid intrusion biome, so there's no real bedrooms or food production for them cause they just charge up. i need to take a more updated screenshot cause i've added a fair amount to it.

the colour coding so far is:

red - core stuff/crafting
green - growing
yellow - jail
black - oil industry
blue - hospital / organ growing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also do that and it's a good idea yes, you can use the synthelene products especially to colour code whole wings of the base.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Got a visiting noble and her four goons staying for twenty five days but god drat 12000 and change silver is too good to pass up.

The problem is she's wearing a metallic wool parka and the -4 mood debuff expected, while also refusing to take it off :negative: at least its nice to learn my basic bitch serf bedrooms satisfy a praetor's bedroom requirements. I didnt expect that

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

I hate rectangles.

Designator Shapes is clunky but worth using. Not sure if it's updated.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1235181370

Circles and Ovals appears to be newer? I haven't used it.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1681455486

Also add some colored flooring mods. I'd recommend building in a swamp where you have to throw Bridges everywhere in order to make a wall. One of my oddest bases was in a swamp. Also try building primarily out of circles and call it a tribal start. Teepees for all. That one was fun as well.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i started a game with the avp mod, but also dub's hygiene, and i have to say the predators lose a lot of their mystique when you have to reroute their turds constantly

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

i said this to myself then stopped playing rimworld instead of installing mods

it's a pretty strong testimonial for the game when one can put 1200 hours in to it and not be sick of losing

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I got my colonists to a stage where they're mostly cyborged up. Fun thing I just learned is that some of the new bionics such as the brain implants now interact with EMP and can get knocked out as a result. RIP to the cyborgs who assaulted a mechanoid cluster while being shelled by EMP mortars.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i like the hygiene mod a lot, it feels like a natural part of the game. on one hand it adds more needs to fulfill, but it also lets you get positive moods and some resources for doing it right. and the manure fertilizer makes the fields look all nice and ploughed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hygiene is great and I recommend it for all playthroughs, also make sure the settings are survival mode and enable drinking needs, as well as integration with hydroponics etc.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If thirst is enabled, can colonists drink beer and stuff for their thirst need? And does it interact with like, mods that add soda and stuff? I've wanted to try it for a while now but I always worried about how it interacted

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Odd question.

What size map is good for not feeling cramped? Do the largest sizes make processors struggle at all?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

moot the hopple posted:

I got my colonists to a stage where they're mostly cyborged up. Fun thing I just learned is that some of the new bionics such as the brain implants now interact with EMP

It's mainly the sleep implants that do this, BTW.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hungry posted:

Odd question.

What size map is good for not feeling cramped? Do the largest sizes make processors struggle at all?

Yes, increasing the map size has a number of issues as detailed in the box when you do it. It increases the number of tiles the game has to look at for pathing, and it also buggers with the balance because traversing a large map tile is actually kinda hard for pawns, so a lot of things might succumb to weather problems before reaching you, or get eaten by wildlife, also you have a lot more time to prepare. If you have a large colony with a lot of pawns you will notice a significant slowdown later in the game as there is just so much crap to track and so many tiles to do path calculations on.

I would not suggest going above the first large size, and the large medium size is probably enough unless you have a lot of mods with things to build or you want a large colony, I generally do fine building a mountain base on either of those.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

does anyone know how to mod poo poo? the rimsenal ferals mod adds some really cool ogre/supermutant guys, but they're considered animals and you can't even tame them, they're like mechanoids or something, and i'd like to make them a playable race or something

i was hoping to use pawnmorpher to turn colonists into them but that didn't work out either, crushing my dreams of re-enacting the supermutants from fallout 1

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 3, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Chinook posted:

Complete newbie to this game, played DF in the past and loved it. Should I pick up the Royalty DLC? Any video guides to learning the game that are suggested?

This game has a lot in common with DF but it's nowhere near the level of disaster simulator that DF beats you into accepting

It's great in its own right

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

So I picked up the mod which displays text bubbles about pawn interactions, which really seems like it ought to have been part of the base game. Like, I knew from this thread that pawn interactions are hugely influential for social interactions, but the sheer number of interactions is insane.

Also, after taming our first dinosaur, one of the trainers "Approached anklyosaurus 1 while whispering to himself about ethnicity," which is putting my high-tech farming/trading/oil refinery hamlet uncomfortably close to real-life events here in rural Oregon. This, shortly after I spotted my first brontosaurus, considered hunting it for meat and leather, then remembered Littlefoot's mother's death scene from Land Before Time and couldn't do it.

Out of curiosity, are Anklyosaurses as durable in combat as they really ought to be? I'm going to keep the two around regardless because they're one of my old favorite dinosaurs and it turns out I'm a lot more emotionally attached to at least this one of my childhood interests than I'd thought, but it'd be nice if they were suitably beefy distractions from my link Zeushammer brawler.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

LonsomeSon posted:

Out of curiosity, are Anklyosaurses as durable in combat as they really ought to be? I'm going to keep the two around regardless because they're one of my old favorite dinosaurs and it turns out I'm a lot more emotionally attached to at least this one of my childhood interests than I'd thought, but it'd be nice if they were suitably beefy distractions from my link Zeushammer brawler.

They're pretty beefy tanks. They've basically got Hyperweave for armor with better blunt protection. Due to their size most major body parts have 100HP or so and vital organs range from 35-60+ so it'll take two pretty lucky shots to really gently caress them up. Damage output isn't great, but they can definitely take some heat. Don't let them get dogpiled by a whole raid though, like anything else facing half a dozen ranged dudes they'll go down pretty fast to pain and bleeding. Odds are they'll be bleeding pretty seriously after raids, but I wouldn't worry too hard if you've got herbal meds and a half decent doctor to spare.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Kind of a big ask but are there any essential mods from the last uh year or so? Just looking for vanilla+ stuff, not extra races or anything. Feels like I need to spend half a day just going through the workshop before I start playing again :v:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

8 Ball posted:

Kind of a big ask but are there any essential mods from the last uh year or so? Just looking for vanilla+ stuff, not extra races or anything. Feels like I need to spend half a day just going through the workshop before I start playing again :v:

Dub’s bad hygiene, Rimfeller, I don’t know when they came out but those are basically vanilla to me.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Look for the Vanilla Expanded series, play a few games with those, then whenever you think "I wish I could <x>", hit the workshop

Also yeah rimatomics and dubs Hygiene are the poo poo

E: whoops you said Rimefeller, well rimefeller is also the poo poo

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Rimatomics is also cool!

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Rim atomic has nuclear weapons and Obelisks of NOD, it’s so good as to be unbelievable

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Danaru posted:

Also yeah rimatomics and dubs Hygiene are the poo poo

E: whoops you said Rimefeller, well rimefeller is also the poo poo

Hygiene, Rimefeller, and Rimatomics are all by the same creator and work together by design, fwiw.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Complications posted:

They're pretty beefy tanks. They've basically got Hyperweave for armor with better blunt protection. Due to their size most major body parts have 100HP or so and vital organs range from 35-60+ so it'll take two pretty lucky shots to really gently caress them up. Damage output isn't great, but they can definitely take some heat. Don't let them get dogpiled by a whole raid though, like anything else facing half a dozen ranged dudes they'll go down pretty fast to pain and bleeding. Odds are they'll be bleeding pretty seriously after raids, but I wouldn't worry too hard if you've got herbal meds and a half decent doctor to spare.

Oh yeah, this colony is seven game-years old, all of my primary combatants have at least basic bionic arms, legs, and a spine, and there are 20+ pawns who fight in defensive battles, including more melee than Zeushammer dude.

Just looking to pad out my six-body-plus-pilot expeditionary force, since animals count as cargo and not passengers for SRTS, and while there are a couple of chain shotgunners who are competent at melee as well, during a quest battle or ruins clearing having a solo melee-only fighter was resulting in his getting downed through Marine armor due to exactly what you describe.

Good to hear Dino buddies will be what I’m looking for, and if they lose limbs, well, I’m also running A Dog Said and they’ll do a lot more damage with bionic jaws and power claws!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Counterpoint to some recommendations here, dub's Hygiene mostly feels like a tax on your early game with the exception of the HVAC components. It is interesting to add bathrooms to your base design but still feels annoying early and just takes up space later on. Rimefeller just feels cheaty once you get enough pawns that you can safely have someone operate the resource console as needed. Atomics is fine though, it fits great in the just getting stronger endgame position.

Also I've really scaled back on the vanilla expansion stuff. I enjoy the furniture addons and the laser weapons, but everything else is just too much. The new apparel doesn't really fill any holes except for the work gear and is annoying to deal with crafting and using properly, especially without other mods. The weapons don't really fill a hole so much as provide an alternative. And the animals, except for maybe the artic animals, are bland by design and just take up spawn slots that could be used for the fun stuff if you're using other animal mods. I know the whole point is to add stuff that tries to fit into the world, but even on an individual level they largely add too much and for the poor reason of just because the modder can.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vanilla Apparel is far too bloated, I agree. Suffers the same fate as Apparello.

I don't use the Vanilla Animals stuff.

I really like the charge weapons of Vanilla Weapons. Charge LMGs are outstanding against EMP'd centipedes.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Yeah but filling a latrine and then processing the fecal sludge into chemfuel is pretty convenient, although I have like, infinite corn now, so that's kind of moot.

Since I've been getting guests I thought it was real nice of them to be doing chores for me, but after they left everyone's been getting food poisoning from the lovely rear end meals they've cooked

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Try setting the minimum skill for the food prep bills, I dunno if guests will follow it but it's worth a try.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Danaru posted:

If thirst is enabled, can colonists drink beer and stuff for their thirst need? And does it interact with like, mods that add soda and stuff? I've wanted to try it for a while now but I always worried about how it interacted

There's a list of compatible mods on the hygiene workshop page, pmuch everything you'd think of is compatible afaik, I tend to use rimcuisine tea for it earlygame.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

nessin posted:

Counterpoint to some recommendations here, dub's Hygiene mostly feels like a tax on your early game with the exception of the HVAC components. It is interesting to add bathrooms to your base design but still feels annoying early and just takes up space later on. Rimefeller just feels cheaty once you get enough pawns that you can safely have someone operate the resource console as needed.

I thought Hygiene would be dumb busywork but water actually ends up adding quite a bit to the mid game. I don’t think it taxes the early game much— a communal well, latrine and bathtub are pretty much all that’s required.

Rimfeller would be perfect if hyperweave and neutroamine weren’t so ridiculously easy to make. An intermediate step like they have with plasteel manufacturing is all that’s needed. It’s still not -terribly- overpowered, and if anything it’s a bit of a trap—your colony wealth is going to shoot up F A S T if everyone is wearing Hyperweave speedos.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I'd agree with neutroamine, but honestly hyperweave takes ages to produce and absolutely sucks up chemfuel to make in the process. It used to be a lot easier but these days it feels like you need two different refineries going to keep up with even one hyperweave refiner, let alone the wells to keep them all running, and that's just for the hyperweave refiner itself and not whatever else you're wanting to make. It's still probably overpowered but it's definitely a big investment of time and resources to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

nessin posted:

Counterpoint to some recommendations here, dub's Hygiene mostly feels like a tax on your early game with the exception of the HVAC components. It is interesting to add bathrooms to your base design but still feels annoying early and just takes up space later on. Rimefeller just feels cheaty once you get enough pawns that you can safely have someone operate the resource console as needed. Atomics is fine though, it fits great in the just getting stronger endgame position.

Also I've really scaled back on the vanilla expansion stuff. I enjoy the furniture addons and the laser weapons, but everything else is just too much. The new apparel doesn't really fill any holes except for the work gear and is annoying to deal with crafting and using properly, especially without other mods. The weapons don't really fill a hole so much as provide an alternative. And the animals, except for maybe the artic animals, are bland by design and just take up spawn slots that could be used for the fun stuff if you're using other animal mods. I know the whole point is to add stuff that tries to fit into the world, but even on an individual level they largely add too much and for the poor reason of just because the modder can.

the hygiene stuff early on can be satisfied with a well, a water tub, and a latrine that all cost like 25 wood each so its not a major deal. then you get a lot of benefits later on from setting up a good system, like lower amounts of infections and positive moods from nice showers and hot tubs, and fertilizer from the turds. you also get a sweet washing machine to wash the death juice out of tainted clothing, and killer HVAC setups.

i agree with the vanilla apparel. it's annoying that it adds new clothing slots like boots and gloves and scarves. i end up with my pawns equipping some ragged-rear end gloves off the floor and getting unhappy about it and it just sucks. i appreciate the variety in looks but i wish there was an option to not have those extra slots.