Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RatHat posted:

Yeah this bothered me about Mass Effect 3 too. Yeah the ending was poo poo and it’s very disappointing to have the trilogy end like that...but that doesn’t invalidate the previous 30+ hours you enjoyed.

The reason people poo poo on the ending so deeply because it was specifically The One Thing the writers and studio made repeated promises they would not do. For Five. Years. It's one of the handful of times the amount of scorn the internet threw at them was entirely justified.

FFVIIR's last chapter, comparatively, is just visual noise to throw out a Big Dramatic Climax to end on, because Nomura can't seem to manage a simple grounded ending and thinks you need floaty void fights with ruined buildings for drama (see; the end of every Kingdom Hearts). The better way to cap it off would've been Sephiroth waiting for them and just destroying the actual bridge as a fight with him progresses instead of floaty void fighting against ~Destiny~. They wind up on the ground by the end, stumbling off into the rest of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

FWIW I think the game would have been better with a more grounded ending too. I want changes (and never had much interest in a straight remake), but for this installment I think they could havestuck to hints like Aerith saying the future isn't written in stone and having weird moments with Marlene and Red while Cloud has unexplained glimpses of the future. That said, having the mission statement of this thing written into the text at the end was at least honest with the fans about the direction this was heading (assuming they don't back out), so I can appreciate that. Plus even if I don't think it needed the full One Winged Angel boss fight treatment, it was pretty loving epic.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The reason people poo poo on the ending so deeply because it was specifically The One Thing the writers and studio made repeated promises they would not do. For Five. Years. It's one of the handful of times the amount of scorn the internet threw at them was entirely justified.

FFVIIR's last chapter, comparatively, is just visual noise to throw out a Big Dramatic Climax to end on, because Nomura can't seem to manage a simple grounded ending and thinks you need floaty void fights with ruined buildings for drama (see; the end of every Kingdom Hearts). The better way to cap it off would've been Sephiroth waiting for them and just destroying the actual bridge as a fight with him progresses instead of floaty void fighting against ~Destiny~. They wind up on the ground by the end, stumbling off into the rest of the world.

Ironically if you read the Ultimania this was not Nomura's fault. He actually wanted something less flashy and dramatic.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

They seem like a vocal minority to me. Even on Era, I remember seeing polls that most people liking it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Flopsy posted:

Ironically if you read the Ultimania this was not Nomura's fault. He actually wanted something less flashy and dramatic.

Nomura... wanted... less flashy and dramatic?... :confused:

Seriously though, that's actually surprising to me.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Genuine question, but how is the "fighting on the other side of the wall of destiny" bit any different of a technique from fighting a final boss in what's clearly another abstract space that isn't totally in physical reality, like with...the final boss of the original Final Fantasy 7?

Like I don't want to be snide, but I also feel like that it isn't just a Nomura-ism and is a pretty common video game thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BaDandy posted:

Genuine question, but how is the "fighting on the other side of the wall of destiny" bit any different of a technique from fighting a final boss in what's clearly another abstract space that isn't totally in physical reality, like with...the final boss of the original Final Fantasy 7?

Like I don't want to be snide, but I also feel like that it isn't just a Nomura-ism and is a pretty common video game thing.

We're nowhere near the final boss in a multi-part game, and it's a common element of other Nomura-helmed projects. If they go to 11 now, there's nowhere to escalate in further episodes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We're nowhere near the final boss in a multi-part game, and it's a common element of other Nomura-helmed projects. If they go to 11 now, there's nowhere to escalate in further episodes.

12?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sinteres posted:

I'm not seeing the downside here. I'm not going full 'drink their tears' or anything, but if people only created media designed to be uncontroversial, we'd have a lot less interesting things to watch/play. Aeris wouldn't have died in the first place, for example.

I agree, except I'm also here for the nerd tears too. It's like a really good DLC I didn't have to pay for.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This ending is truly a test between idealist and materialist schools of philosophy.

Luckily Cloud and co. subscribe to the latter and realize that confronting abstract concepts of Destiny are not the ceiling, or even an end in itself, but simply a roadblock in the way of actually creating material change

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
If you assume Aerith knows at least a decent chunk of the future it makes a lot of her dialogue in the Chapter 8 rooftop excursion a little more laden with meaning.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
This is simultaneously my favorite game of the year and also I think Chapter 18 is a huge loving mess.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

FF7R chapter 18.jpg

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dreylad posted:

If you assume Aerith knows at least a decent chunk of the future it makes a lot of her dialogue in the Chapter 8 rooftop excursion a little more laden with meaning.

It's been pretty heavily implied throughout that Aerith either has a guess of what's coming, or knows full-well how this will end for her. Her dialogue throughout the game's rife with subtext leaning that way.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

we are at the final boss of this 40 hour game though. you cant just think of this as one game spread out into multiple parts cuz thats not what the project is, even if the source material its based off of was just one single game

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But this is its own game, though. Like it doesn't have a FINAL final boss, but it does have a final boss that gets the whispers out of the way so we can focus on different things in the next games. Not that I think (or want) the rest to end on the exact same tone, but I think the building and cars void was more supposed to be a reference to Advent Children and not Nomura not being able to control himself.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I've seen very little but pure joy at this ending, and I really, really don't want them to take back a single goddamn thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sharrrk posted:

we are at the final boss of this 40 hour game though. you cant just think of this as one game spread out into multiple parts cuz thats not what the project is, even if the source material its based off of was just one single game

It is and was from the beginning. They only broke it up because of the time involved making it. It's also just not good storytelling, because it just leaps off from a solid escape from Midgar into disjointed abstraction in a literal vacuum and jumps back again afterwards without anything relevant to actually add. The Sephiroth on the Edge of Creation's a nice nod to the actual end of the game, but it's still something for the fans more than anything.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 3, 2020

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Jetrauben posted:

I've seen very little but pure joy at this ending, and I really, really don't want them to take back a single goddamn thing.

The Zack fans alone would RIOT if he just up and died again after all that.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is and was from the beginning. They only broke it up because of the time involved making it.

or maybe they broke it up because they specifically intended to tell a larger story spread over multiple installments, something that in media that is often referred to as a "series"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jetrauben posted:

:hai:

"I miss it. The steel sky" is one of the best moments in any Final Fantasy for like ten different reasons, I didn't expect a remake to make me feel anything but nostalgia but they went for something that was beyond that and even if they whiff the follow-up, in this moment, in how I feel about what I've experienced, they succeeded

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nomura... wanted... less flashy and dramatic?... :confused:

Seriously though, that's actually surprising to me.

quote:

—In regards to the story’s important key points, there must be a flashback scene from here on out, right?

Nomura: At first, the direction we took was that we did not want to put any of these hints while still in Midgar.

Nojima: Right, we originally planned to have the storyline diverge only slightly.

Nomura: We thought to have only a subtle change where in the ending you see Biggs alive, which makes you think, “Wait, this is weird…” and gives a slight sense of unease. But then the staff thought, well if there’s room for more scenes, then let’s just add it (laughs). When we did that, there were scenes that we had to say, “No this won’t do,” and removed it from the story. We didn’t add too many new things, but we did leave a few scenes in.

Nojima: I myself added about two or three scenarios to that too….I’m not too sure what happened to those scenarios at the end. (laughs)

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Jetrauben posted:

This thread is an anomaly. Almost everywhere else I've looked has been overwhelmingly negative. That doesn't make them right because nerds are dumb sheep (though I do have my own reasons for thinking the ending is bad), and we've seen exactly what happens when a big company just ignores everything they did to placate lovely fans (The Rise of Skywalker). But that doesn't change the fact that by and large this has not gone over well.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Beefstew posted:

This thread is an anomaly. Almost everywhere else I've looked has been overwhelmingly negative. That doesn't make them right because nerds are dumb sheep (though I do have my own reasons for thinking the ending is bad), and we've seen exactly what happens when a big company just ignores everything they did to placate lovely fans (The Rise of Skywalker). But that doesn't change the fact that by and large this has not gone over well.

Really? It's gotten amazing reviews, extremely positive critical feedback, and a lot of joy on social media, as far as I can tell.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bleck posted:

or maybe they broke it up because they specifically intended to tell a larger story spread over multiple installments, something that in media that is often referred to as a "series"

Still got to have somewhere to escalate to for later entries in the series though.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Beefstew posted:

Where?

Not like this is the 50s or some poo poo, throw some links out. By and large all the big names, the review sites, the aggregators, every conceivable metric one can look at has been more positive than not. If the "NOMURA IS A loving HACK!" discord has a problem with it that doesn't really say much.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Still got to have somewhere to escalate to for later entries in the series though.

So the height of your imagination is fighting Sephiroth as a dude? That's it, they did that so there is no-where left for them to go?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

the beats of the original game are still escalations from this game's ending and they could also do literally anything new and different

maybe try being excited that fun new things are happening

Beefstew posted:

Almost everywhere else I've looked has been overwhelmingly negative.

how vociferously people complain is often not related to how many people are complaining

it's like how people constantly poo poo-talk kingdom hearts and make a big nerd shibboleth about how terrible it is even though it's perfectly good series that's extremely popular

case in point: the "third" one that loud stupid nerds have been screeching about for a year is also the best selling of the series and every single person I know that played it that doesn't have a loving neogaf account or whatever really liked it

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

HD DAD posted:

Honestly, I think in the interim 23 years, Kitase and company realized “hey, there’s so much more we could have done with this world and lore and characters” - and this is them taking another stab at the overall basic story, taking the skeleton that was presented in the OG and just running deeper with it.

I like the idea of "we're making the best version of the world/lore/characters we can with expansions and changes to the story." That I'm totally down with. I just think "the whispers are a metaphor for the previous game/timeline" feels a little heavy handed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mulva posted:

So the height of your imagination is fighting Sephiroth as a dude? That's it, they did that so there is no-where left for them to go?

If they're comfortably slaying god-creatures in their home dimensions then how is anything mundane still a legitimate threat to this group?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

feels a little heavy handed.

the original final fantasy 7 is a game where a corporation hurts the environment so bad that climate change manifests as several giant monsters that intend on wiping out humanity, it is not exactly mired in subtlety

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Beefstew posted:

This thread is an anomaly. Almost everywhere else I've looked has been overwhelmingly negative.

Then that would have been reflected in the reviews. Which it hasn't.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Considering the final boss in OG FF7, you think Seph with one wing in this game is already the high point boss-wise?

Bleck posted:

how vociferously people complain is often not related to how many people are complaining

Please make this the new thread title, thanks.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Mulva posted:

It does raise a lot of questions about how Sephiroth didn't even go full out for this boss fight this time, now that you mention it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bleck posted:

the original final fantasy 7 is a game where a corporation hurts the environment so bad that climate change manifests as several giant monsters that intend on wiping out humanity, it is not exactly mired in subtlety

Good thing that 2020's Final Fantasy 7 Remake is not 1997's Final Fantasy 7.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's probably the biggest annoyance I have with how the ending played out. It felt very grounds but then pow! Cloud is leaping through the air and slicing buildings in half. I don't care that it's in an abstract bubble world or whatever. It just feels incredibly tonally inconsistent with everything that came before it. It made power levels just feel fucky.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

RatHat posted:

Yeah this bothered me about Mass Effect 3 too. Yeah the ending was poo poo and it’s very disappointing to have the trilogy end like that...but that doesn’t invalidate the previous 30+ hours you enjoyed.

It can. I don't think it does in this case because that's not the kind of game this is, but games(and other media) that base themselves around certain concepts can in fact be invalidated by bad endings.

In the case of Mass Effect 3, the entire Mass Effect series sold itself with the concept of "a dynamic story with choices that will matter". That was a main focus of the entire series, and it was what a lot of people were playing for. So, when they got to the ending and it turned out to all be total bullshit, I think it's entirely justified for them to feel that a lot of their experience with that series was now invalidated. You have to think "how much of my enjoyment playing this game was derived from the ultimately false belief that the choices I was making in the story were going to matter?" As a general rule of thumb I think that if you are unable to enjoy replaying the game at all after knowing how it all ends, it's perfectly fair to say the ending ruined the entire thing.

As a hypothetical, imagine you're watching a television show and the plot revolves around some kind of great mystery. Your enjoyment of the show is mainly based on the build-up and suspense surrounding the reveal of that mystery, and the characters working toward the answer. Then the answer turns out to be really, really stupid. I think then it's perfectly reasonable to say that the ending ruined the entire show.

Of course, FF7R never sold itself as anything but "the Midgar part of FF7 but again and better", that's what people's enjoyment was based on and the ending being dumb doesn't retroactively ruin the way it did that, and shouldn't prevent people from going back and enjoying it on repeat playthroughs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't even necessarily subscribe to the idea that "Escalation" is the only way to progress a narrative, people's minds are warped by video game treadmill logic.

Star Wars ended with a gigantic space battle for the fate of the Rebellion and a giant planet-destroying threat was destroyed. The next part, which many people regard to have a stronger story, is not an "Escalation" from that in any spectacular/threat way. What it does better is deeper characterization, working with personal stakes, and internal psychology and moral choice. (Coincidentally, we know from the original FF7 and the Remake that these are all things that are important to the middle parts of 7!)

I just have a fundamental disagreement with those who believe that because Destiny is a Big Metaphysical Concept that it trumps anything that could happen with the original Sephiroth plot. I was being facetious earlier with the memeposts, but I truly believe believe that abstractly confronting "Destiny" really is just a roadblock in the way about the real/material conflict between Sephiroth/Jenova, Shinra, and the other characters, and that basically anything that comes after really will be an "Escalation." Now if they do get lost up their own asses and we are dealing with repeated multiverse/timeline stuff so that the feeling of real consequences is lost, then oh well. But if they play by the rules that they established in the ending here, that the Whispers are like a WEAPON, and when you defeat a WEAPON, it's gone, then it should be fine.

It's like the people who are angry that they used One Winged Angel Sephiroth, because that was the end of Original FF7 and they cannot imagine anything beyond the End of Original FF7. But the whole point of the Remake ending is that they are saying they have more to say beyond what was in the Original Text, and so it's thematically appropriate that they/you confront the thing that, originally, beyond that there was nothing

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 3, 2020

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I'd like to hear some suggestions about would have been a better ending from people who didn't like it - do you think it should have just ended after the bike minigame? If we assume they had to have a climactic boss after that, what do you think would have been more satisfying?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If they're comfortably slaying god-creatures in their home dimensions then how is anything mundane still a legitimate threat to this group?

Nothing is a threat to the group but plot because it's a video game and you are going to win, hope this helps.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Did Nomura say why the game was so long? You could probably chunk off 10 to 15 hours easily. I guess he wanted to make sure people felt like it was a full game.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

BaDandy posted:

It does raise a lot of questions about how Sephiroth didn't even go full out for this boss fight this time, now that you mention it.

There's an implication here that the Sephiroth in Chapter 18 is different from any the group has faced before, and of course, we'll have to figure it out in the next installments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Pretty sure it was that they wanted to give people a full game experience, yeah.