Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I liked the scaling XP cost. The big problem with coils was that only a few of them were dramatic enough in their effects on your unlife that the scaling felt at all worth it to put up with. The 2E coils, meanwhile, are way more fiddly and marginal in their dot-by-dot effect and, I feel, mostly miss the point of the old ones. They're one of the few 2E mechanics that actually got weaker and less rhetorically impactful in the edition change! I think I know why, too - they occupied such a decisive place in the writers' imaginations that it felt like they had to be toned down so that not taking them felt justifiable... but the incessant/inherent/internal design philosophy behind the 1E coils already ensured that they were of marginal interest despite their incredible power.

Because I'm proud of them, here are the facelifts my group made to Coils for our Requiem games (back when they DID use scaling XP). Some of the Soul stuff references other houserule changes we made to Humanity, and I think if I was to do it again I might specifically change or replace "Blood of Beasts" such that it was functionally impossible and not just difficult and inefficient for a vampire to sever themselves from humans entirely, but otherwise these were fun:

COIL OF BANES
1 – The Unclouded Mind: Daytime no longer causes a vampire’s Blood Potency to obstruct mundane mental and social rolls.
2 – Surmounting the Daysleep: The vampire can remain awake through the day with no special effort and is roused from slumber as easily as any mortal.
3 – The Sun’s Forgotten Kiss: The vampire takes bashing damage from the sun at twilight and dawn, and from their first turn of direct sunlight exposure of any other kind in a scene.
4 – Mortal Burns: The vampire takes lethal damage from fire.

COIL OF THE BEAST
1 – Chastise the Beast: Whenever the vampire would enter frenzy, they can spend a Willpower point not to.
2 – Lure the Beast: The vampire can attempt to Ride the Wave as a minor action, at no Willpower cost, and at no penalty for successive attempts on the same night.
3 – Assume the Beast: The vampire can attempt to Ride the Wave even when not otherwise in control of their actions, redirecting an extant frenzy or overriding (but not actually ending) the effects of other mind control.
4 – Profess the Beast: Whenever the vampire spends a Willpower point to add dice to an attempt to hunt, inflict damage, or avoid damage, they immediately regain that Willpower point.

COIL OF BLOOD
1 – Blood Seeps Slowly: Spending Vitae to rise allows a vampire to awaken on a number of consecutive nights equal to their Resolve, rather than for one night only.
2 – Blood of Beasts: The vampire can sustain themselves on the blood of animals and humans regardless of their Blood Potency.
3 – Rapacious Blood: The vampire gains an additional point of Vitae for every two points they gain by inflicting damage through feeding.
4 – Undying Blood: Every second point of Vitae the vampire spends is immediately regained and may be spent again.

COIL OF FLESH
1 – The Face of Man: The vampire can activate the Blush of Life whenever they want, indefinitely, at no cost. While Blushing, they can completely absorb food, drink, drugs, and medicines, feeling their full effects and digesting them completely.
2 – Inviolate Life: The vampire’s body can expel foreign impurities such as poisons, diseases, and stakes through the heart when reverting each sunset to its original state, but leaves specific modifications in place for as long as the vampire wishes to keep them.
3 – The Man Recovers: The vampire regenerates naturally, recovering from one point of bashing damage in eight minutes and one point of lethal damage in one day. The vampire’s body can exhibit signs of natural growth, though not age, if the vampire wishes it to: hair lengthens, tattoos fade, and so on.
4 – Eternal Life: The vampire doesn’t suffer Final Death when their health track is filled with aggravated damage, but enters torpor instead. When their torpor ends, they heal one point of damage and rise as normal, reconstituting themselves from their remains.

COIL OF THE SOUL
1 – Quiet the Mind: Every Crisis of Conscience roll made for the vampire is marked as a success for the purpose of resolving the Crisis, whether or not that roll resulted in a loss of Willpower.
2 – Rule the Heart: All Humanity rolls the vampire makes to reclaim Willpower while defending an Intimacy are assumed to automatically succeed, even if the vampire’s Humanity is zero.
3 – Bolster the Soul: The vampire’s Willpower rating increases by the lower of their Composure and Resolve. They regain an extra point of Willpower each day regardless of circumstances.
4 – Alchemize the Curse: The vampire can spend a point of Vitae to regain a point of Willpower, and can spend a point of Willpower to regain a dot of Willpower.

Our ruling philosophy was that these would always enhance stamina and efficiency, not raw action-by-action power, so no amount of Coils could ever allow someone to spend extra WP or Vitae or w/e on the same roll or otherwise hit harder, heal faster, whatever. Rather, they'd make you stable and nigh-inexhaustible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lmao, the Zeky player wanted some nuclear waste so i made a cult of christian mystics/nuclear engineers as a heist target and during infiltration they just sincerely joined the cult. Each player hit like 2-4 milestones in one session lol

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Ferrinus posted:

4 – Alchemize the Curse: The vampire can spend a point of Vitae to regain a point of Willpower, and can spend a point of Willpower to regain a dot of Willpower.

Now I'm curious. Did your house rules introduce new means of spending or losing Willpower dots, am I forgetting some, or is the latter effect primarily one of gaining power over the Embrace?

I really like the implied idea of loss of Willpower on a failed conscience roll, which I assume is at least somewhat analogous to breaking points.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 2, 2020

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

I Am Just a Box posted:

Now I'm curious. Did your house rules introduce new means of spending or losing Willpower dots, am I forgetting some, or is the latter effect primarily one of gaining power over the Embrace?

I do really like the implied idea of loss of Willpower on a failed conscience roll, which I assume is at least somewhat analogous to breaking points.

It was still mostly the embrace or unspecified/ST-invented grievous supernatural costs or psychic traumas, and we also had spent WP dots grow back (but slowly - you'd roll BP every month and regain one on success; this was also true for mages with Gnosis, so making rotes was a little less punishing), so the most immediate wacky thing that allowed you to do was spawn lots of vampires cheaply.

And you're right, the "crisis of conscience" stuff was our version of breaking points before breaking points. Here's the long version:

quote:

Morality: Human or humanlike beings have a Morality trait, rated from 0 to 5, that measures their sympathy for other people. High Morality represents an ingrained reluctance to harm others and might act as an advantage or an impediment depending on the situation. Characters can begin with any Morality rating they want. Each dot of Morality represents a wider range of crimes against other people that a character finds difficult to stomach:

5 — physically injuring someone, stealing or destroying something of great sentimental value, emotionally damaging someone
4 — brutalizing someone, stealing or destroying something important to someone’s health or well-being, accidentally killing through neglect
3 — killing someone without premeditation, “rough” torture, destroying everything someone owns
2 — murder, horrific torture
1 — truly heinous crime

A character with zero Morality feels no gut-level revulsion whatsoever at the prospect of visiting any conceivable harm on another thinking being. Nothing can drive them into a crisis of conscience, but they’re also too jaded and detached to draw strength from their intimacies.

Any sapient, relatable being is potentially a violation of Morality to harm. Creatures that are completely feral or completely incomprehensible can be injured without fear of Morality loss, but otherwise the sufferings of vampires, spirits, and stranger things might all give a sufficiently sensitive person pause.

Crisis of Conscience: When a character becomes aware they’ve committed a sin at or below their current Morality rating, their character undergoes an internal struggle in attempt to hold on to their moral center. Each time they could regain Willpower from rest, even if their Willpower is at maximum, roll dice equal to the rating of the crime they committed. On a failure, they regain no willpower and instead lose one willpower point.

A player who fails this roll can choose for their character to degenerate rather than accept the roll’s results, hardening the character against those they’ve harmed. The character regains Willpower as normal instead of losing it and end their crisis immediately, but lowers their Morality score by one.

Once the roll has succeeded a number of separate times equal to the struggling character’s Morality rating, the character has resolved their crisis and can regain Willpower normally. Characters are either in crisis or aren’t; a player keeps track of the crime being grappled with, the dicepool rolled to regain Willpower from rest, and how many times the crisis roll has succeeded. A new sin replaces an old one if it’s of equal or greater severity, resetting the success count to zero and potentially lowering the struggle’s associated dicepool. A new crisis doesn’t reset the count of accumulated failures, however. This normally doesn’t matter to mortal characters, but can have ramifications for supernatural creatures.

Vampires had the exact same scale, except renamed "Humanity" and possible to lose involuntarily - if you racked up (dicepool) failures before you got that many successes, your Humanity would drop regardless of your intentions. The lower your Humanity was, the worse were any social rolls you made to relate to the living or even, at lower levels, other monsters.

You also had "Intimacies", stolen from Exalted (Exalted 2E, in fact, since this predated 3E). The main thing they did was, if you spent a willpower in pursuit or defense of an intimacy, which generally had to be a person or group of people (though some merits let you choose e.g. your Mage Order as a free bonus Intimacy), you could then roll Morality/Humanity/Wisdom to immediately get the WP back. So the idea is that Conscience (or Humanity or Wisdom) was at a glance a measure of how rough with other people a character was willing to be, and strategically a preferred approach to saving willpower points - at the high end, you could save willpower by fighting for your friends, but at the low end, you could save willpower by being able to sleep like a baby despite having committed murder the previous night.

This, of course, meant that our Coil of Soul allowed you to be a super-driven psychopath. Now that I look at it there's a bit of a tension between Soul 1 and Soul 2 (1 lets you stay high, 2 removes a drawback for staying low); I'm not sure if Soul 1 used to be, or at least include, "ignore social penalties for low humanity" and if/why we changed it.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 2, 2020

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Down With People posted:

If a vampire loses their Ordo Dracul status should they still be able to upgrade their coils yes/no

Coils don't give a poo poo about how much the other wanna-be Draculas respect you, they're things you're engraving into your requiem/blood/soul and should be absolutely independent of OD status.
Conversely CarthianLlaw should stop applying the instant your character considers themselves not a Carthian because it is in fact a mystical Carthian thing and it owns that vampires can generate a reality field if they try really hard.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Soonmot posted:

How many enchanments can you layer on an item? My mages are looking for concentrations of rowan on a college campus and want to enchant a pair of binoculars. They'll need life for bushes, and matter for harvested/shaped wood. I'm going to allow it no matter what, but when they want to start enchanting clothes and weapons, it'd be good to have a guidline.

Going by Awakening 2nd Edition rules as I was in a 2 year campaign as a player in that one. I would think of it as a combined spell, or one of those spells that has the "Add ** Matter to X". Check out the "Enhanced Item" merit. There is also Imbued Item, but that one requires Prime 4 to make.

So for the binoculars, I would be casting a 1 dot Life spell to detect rowan wood, and "Add 1 dot Matter" to narrow it down to shaped wood. The spell would be cast upon the binoculars. The Enhanced Item merit says it has indefinite duration, but when your players are just homebrewing stuff, they don't need the Mana+Reach cost for a temporary item like that.

I would treat it like spells cast upon some person to buff them or give them abilities, but it's an item in this case. But making an imbued item is fun as well.

I don't know about layering, but my ST did use layered items to hide other spells on an item, basically putting a Prime 4 spell on an object to hide the fact that it was imbued with a Prime 7 spell. You could homebrew a rule that people need to have a dot in the arcana that's already in an object to add onto it, or add reach for every spell already on it, or even mix in paradox into it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The big thing with going outside the Order is if you try to teach others they'll come down on you. And studying by yourself is harder.

But it's also possible to have up to 3 dots of Status spread between up to 3 Covenants in 1E (people won't trust you more than that).

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Tulip posted:

Lmao, the Zeky player wanted some nuclear waste so i made a cult of christian mystics/nuclear engineers as a heist target and during infiltration they just sincerely joined the cult. Each player hit like 2-4 milestones in one session lol

Sounds like a pretty hilarious turn -- what was the heist target and what made the players decide to join instead of ripping them off?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Look it's magechat again but the M20 Book of the Fallen having Roko's Basilisk as an actual thing is hilarious and so out of tune with how Nephandi worked previously as to be a parody. Seriously "The Golden Son dominates an online “Traditionalist”culture that has nothing to do with the Council of Nine.To the Son, modernity is decadence, and so must be opposed, shamed, and stomped flat into the ground whenever possible. His vlogs and website promulgate a view of hardy Norse manhood and adoring servile Valkyries, complete with lots of signature products for the Viking on the go. Countering the basement-troll stereotype, the Son
boasts a godlike physique courtesy of daily workouts, and plenty of Life-Sphere enhancement spells. He employs the Basilisk in its Midgard Serpent aspect as a sigil on his page and merchandise. Charismatic in both digital and physical incarnations..." is literally just this doofus (who is a bad dude but he certainly isn't a master manipulator devoted to the Descent of the entire world into a hellscape) and how did any of this get past an editor?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Look it's magechat again but the M20 Book of the Fallen having Roko's Basilisk as an actual thing is hilarious and so out of tune with how Nephandi worked previously as to be a parody.

Well I'll be damned. That's the Golden One in as much but name, but yup, the text explicitly calls out this as literally Roko's Basilisk, by that exact full name, later with stats for it as an umbral spirit/"memetic entity." Immediately followed by stats for Zalgo Zagglaaw.

How do all of those rack up against Hunter: The Vigil Second Edition's list of worldwide cultural cryptids and folkloric monsters just opening with Slender Man, again openly by that exact name?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Relevant Tangent posted:

Look it's magechat again but the M20 Book of the Fallen having Roko's Basilisk as an actual thing is hilarious and so out of tune with how Nephandi worked previously as to be a parody. Seriously "The Golden Son dominates an online “Traditionalist”culture that has nothing to do with the Council of Nine.To the Son, modernity is decadence, and so must be opposed, shamed, and stomped flat into the ground whenever possible. His vlogs and website promulgate a view of hardy Norse manhood and adoring servile Valkyries, complete with lots of signature products for the Viking on the go. Countering the basement-troll stereotype, the Son
boasts a godlike physique courtesy of daily workouts, and plenty of Life-Sphere enhancement spells. He employs the Basilisk in its Midgard Serpent aspect as a sigil on his page and merchandise. Charismatic in both digital and physical incarnations..." is literally just this doofus (who is a bad dude but he certainly isn't a master manipulator devoted to the Descent of the entire world into a hellscape) and how did any of this get past an editor?

The more time passes, the more I hate that book. He's so self-righteous about real evil, and then just squats out a supplement full of baroque but boring villains, jokes, and a toybox to make the characters he's telling you not to make.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Digital Osmosis posted:

Sounds like a pretty hilarious turn -- what was the heist target and what made the players decide to join instead of ripping them off?

Zeky, as a Lineage, do not gain pyros or healing from electricity, but from radiation. So the character was looking for something "nice and hot" like a spent fuel rod.

Setting-wise, the players are about 30 years in the future, in a midwest where there's just kind of general, non-specific collapse. So a nearby nuclear power plant is still working, but it's being run by a cult made of nuclear engineers who got have developed a really weird Catholic/Fallout mysticism and aesthetic (e.g. they wear lab coats with cowls).

The players' plan for the heist was to pretend to be mystics on pilgrimage and infiltrate the order - which was pretty easy, because Zeky are very readily radioactive without, you know, dying within hours - then smash and grab once they could get close enough to some spicy rocks.

Instead, as they met with the monks, they decided that this was just plain cool and they're going to join up. It is worth pointing out that this was actually a role fulfillment for the Zeky, who was in Hermit role and one of the suggested milestones for that was "have someone ask you for help." Comically, when I'd been building Pilgrimages for this character, I never came up with a good superlative and put "IDK join a monastery or something" and it wasn't until about an hour into the session that I realized my internal placeholder joke might just happen. Another PC is a Jewish religious scholar so he's just completely loving down for sucking those books dry.

The PC who was less interested in joining instead lead a strike that they'd been building for a while, and they were in Companion role, so a lot of major character events happened!

Promethean: it's good.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I Am Just a Box posted:

Well I'll be damned. That's the Golden One in as much but name, but yup, the text explicitly calls out this as literally Roko's Basilisk, by that exact full name, later with stats for it as an umbral spirit/"memetic entity." Immediately followed by stats for Zalgo Zagglaaw.

How do all of those rack up against Hunter: The Vigil Second Edition's list of worldwide cultural cryptids and folkloric monsters just opening with Slender Man, again openly by that exact name?

Wait wat. Is Jeff the loving Killer statted too? That's pretty lame and not cool and hilarious like Lil Wayne in 1e.

Also this exists https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/153214 Creepy pasta the rpg.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

See also Proverbial Monsters, one of the early nWoD supplements that you can't even buy on DTRPG any more.

Monsters based off of proverbs and nursery rhymes that mostly make no actual sense.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So... from what people one step away from the project are telling me, it seems like Technocracy Reloaded is just going with "people really want the Technocracy to be the good guys, so they are, and the fascism stuff can just be waved away".

I really don't have words for how ill this makes me.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

So... from what people one step away from the project are telling me, it seems like Technocracy Reloaded is just going with "people really want the Technocracy to be the good guys, so they are, and the fascism stuff can just be waved away".

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

bewilderment posted:

See also Proverbial Monsters, one of the early nWoD supplements that you can't even buy on DTRPG any more.

Monsters based off of proverbs and nursery rhymes that mostly make no actual sense.

I wonder what their reasoning is for straight up removing it. I get that it's a silly supplement but if embarrassment was a good enough reason then they've got quite a few entries in their catalog that should go away forever, or at least stop being offered as Kickstarter add-ons.

lol

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 3, 2020

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Have they removed any other nWoD supplements like that?

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not super familiar with Mage, but wasn't there a non-Technocracy faction (Virtual Adepts?) where you could put all that 'Laser/taser, mirrorshades and futuretek magik on an iphone' and not trip over all the fascism?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Pakxos posted:

I'm not super familiar with Mage, but wasn't there a non-Technocracy faction (Virtual Adepts?) where you could put all that 'Laser/taser, mirrorshades and futuretek magik on an iphone' and not trip over all the fascism?

They were more, "The world is a simulation, and I have the cheat codes," but yeah. And the Sons of Ether were the same SCIENCE! but with steampunk.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Pakxos posted:

Well, that's the whole problem: not enough fascism. Go check out the sample writeup from a few pages back - that guy is just salivating over the chance to tell the swine what to do.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Ferrinus posted:

Well, that's the whole problem: not enough fascism. Go check out the sample writeup from a few pages back - that guy is just salivating over the chance to tell the swine what to do.

I'm trying to imagine what could be done by responsible non-fascists to capture something (Tech as magic)which is clearly desired by the fanbase, and unhook it from fascism. Unless those fans actually want the fascism.
e
...they want the fascism don't they. Glugh

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Soonmot posted:

They were more, "The world is a simulation, and I have the cheat codes," but yeah. And the Sons of Ether were the same SCIENCE! but with steampunk.

And phrenology, because discredited science includes some truly awful poo poo.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Pakxos posted:

I'm trying to imagine what could be done by responsible non-fascists to capture something (Tech as magic)which is clearly desired by the fanbase, and unhook it from fascism. Unless those fans actually want the fascism.
e
Less-fascist technomages get you the Free Council, who are definitely better, but also, subject to freecouncil.jpg

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Less-fascist technomages get you the Free Council, who are definitely better, but also, subject to freecouncil.jpg

I love Freecouncil.jpg, not just because I'm a ride-or-die Mysterium partisan but because as Malcolm Sheppard has frequently pointed out all the Pentacle Orders have shady and sometimes outright reactionary elements that their members (and the players of those members) need to grapple with as part of playing in the setting. It's just that while the Guardians are murderous psychopaths and the Mystagogues would let people die rather than allow magic to fall into the hands of those who haven't properly earned it, the Councilors are as vulnerable to modern-day bourgeois ideology as are the members of any other ostensibly left-wing movement who are long on ambition but short on theory and discipline.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pakxos posted:

e
You could probably recast the Technocracy as some kind of international ultra-science task force who is doing Men in Black (the Will Smith films) poo poo in order to help facilitate Earth towards a glorious future involving intercourse with the cooler and less brain-sucking alien races, with delays, secrecy promotion and so forth rooted in trying to digest the Paradox Effect so that Earth actually reaches that glorious future, rather than having mass technoshock and a new Dark Age.

This would, of course, still have problems, but I think that it could work without major rule rewrites. If Control actually listens to Sleeper governments, hopefully at least sort of democratic, you are at least moving a lot closer to a Super-VASCU or something. You can even have an organizational failure state where everyone says "No, gently caress YOU, Dad, we're the ones cancelling the X-COM project!" -- this would just transform the Technocracy into an unusually large and robust Tradition, living as a commensal-at-best appendage to humanity.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
From what I have gathered, the Technocracy is just not savable when you look into the themes of what Mage is supposed to be about. I wanted to know if there was existing space for the Mage equivalent of the old-school 'phone pheakers' - people who understood the paradigms of technology better than the exploiters and still maintained their independence. But from the sound of it, that wasn't something the gameline was interested in.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

There were some old Iteration X dudes (the Technocracy is solely responsible for the Patriarchy and the higher ranks of the Conventions reflect that) who hadn't sold their souls to Autochthonia/The Computer and also hadn't quite gone VA because they liked their creature comforts who were genuinely trying to make the world a better place in-between making the next generation of HIT Marks but generally speaking Iteration X was the most technologically adept Convention and instead of making prosthetics that worked for everyone they made poo poo like Alexa but more evil.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Virtual Adepts were phone freakers but they were also the tradition that had a dude who showed up in a magical orange monster truck and murdered people who weren't L33T so you kind of have to take what you can get

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
I know I haven't posted in this thread in years. Real life kept me busy and unable to run games. But I'm running out of things to do in quarantine to pass the time and I've started tinkering with nWoD house rules again. I was statting up various weapons for fun, got to spears and javelins, looked up the throwing rules and...has anyone ever pointed out how ridiculous the rules for throwing distances are?

In short, the rules are: you can throw anything with Size <= Strength, short range is Strength+Dex+Athletics-Size, medium range is twice that, long range is twice medium range, you can toss something at twice long range with a chance die to actually hit anything, aerodynamic objects like footballs and spears (the book's examples) have all of these values doubled.

Let's look at the results. The book's own example is a character with 4 Strength, 3 Dex, and 2 Athletics who can throw a "Size 2" car tire with a short range of 7 yards, medium range 14 yards, long range 28 yards. So this totally un-supernatural human, who is very strong but not peak human strong and a decent athlete, can effortlessly toss a 20 pound car tire half the length of a football field. The real world record for throwing a 15-inch tire is apparently ~26 yards. The example character can also effortlessly toss a football 128 yards. In the real world, when a video popped up on the internet of a high school football player throwing the ball more than 100 yards, an article on a sports website described the feat as "totally insane," and "firing a football farther than any human should ever be able to." Give this character one more dot of Strength, and they can toss an adult human 120 feet. An Olympic-level athlete who is still totally un-supernatural with 5 dots in Strength, Dex, and Athletics can throw an adult human 80% of the way down a football field, and half of that distance with some degree of accuracy.

I'm pretty sure that this game isn't supposed to emulate the sort of kung fu movies where a lot of physical training can literally give you superhuman powers. Not by default, anyway. The only explanation I can think of is maybe they didn't want the numbers to be too low for untrained people, but their implementation has the result of making the numbers for highly trained people just plain silly.

The easy way around this would be to just narrative abstract the whole thing and say "if the distance seems reasonable, you can make the roll without penalty, if it seems too far you can't try, and if it seems kind of far make the roll with a penalty." But, as previously established, I have nothing better to do nowadays, so I'm working on a back-of-the-envelope stab at a system that hopefully gives more reasonable numbers but it is still easy to use most of the time. I'll post it in a bit. But I just felt like sharing this bit of weirdness in the rules that I stumbled across.

Did this ever get errata'd or updated anywhere? I kind of expected it to be changed in 2nd Edition, but no, I can't find any mention of throwing distances at all there.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Good preview of Technocracy Reloaded

"Perhaps the most disconcerting element of this era — for Technocrats, at least — involves the Masses’ gleeful embrace of irrationality. It’s not failures of democratic ideals that bother the Union’s membership; the Technocracy is anti-democratic to begin with, so a global movement toward authoritarianism fits perfectly within the Technocratic plan. It’s the chaos of it that bothers many Technocrats — the willful stupidity of it all. "

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

NikkolasKing posted:

"Perhaps the most disconcerting element of this era — for Technocrats, at least — involves the Masses’ gleeful embrace of irrationality. It’s not failures of democratic ideals that bother the Union’s membership; the Technocracy is anti-democratic to begin with, so a global movement toward authoritarianism fits perfectly within the Technocratic plan. It’s the chaos of it that bothers many Technocrats — the willful stupidity of it all. "

"I never thought the leopards would eat my face!" says woman who voted for Leopards Eating Faces party.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Man Who Creates Squidmonsters for Fun and Profit Shocked by Outbreak of Squidmonster Related Violence

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That actually sounds slightly less terrible.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

This Technocracy book is definitely the most excited I have been about a kickstarter in a while, and I hated M20.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

So are they going to keep all the different flavors of the Vaccines Are Cool Club and give them all the put-upon-market-liberal filter, and just hope that they can skate by without raising questions about the times when those groups were written to be Literal Nazis?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's a shame they didn't go Player's Guide to the Sabbat and say it was okay to play anti-heroes as your protagonists.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
How do Conditions work in CoD and would it be advantageous to pick up the Promethean cards when I pick up the 2nd edition Promethean core?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Thirteen Orphans posted:

How do Conditions work in CoD and would it be advantageous to pick up the Promethean cards when I pick up the 2nd edition Promethean core?

They're basically lots of little rules bits that would exist normally, but portioned out with an extra hook where you get Beats (XP) for dealing with them. So, like, if someone is entranced by a vampire they get Enchanted it whatever, and if they do something at that vampire's urging the Condition resolves (goes away) and you get a Beat. Some Conditions are Persistent meaning they stick around longer and give you Beats every time they trouble you.

Some Conditions are beneficial. You still get a Beat for resolving them.

I personally hate the way they're structured. On a personal taste level, I would've preferred something more loose, but it's fine that the game isn't 100% exactly what I want. No big deal. However, I am outright not okay with chopping up half or more of any given piece of the rules and stuffing it in an appendix 200 pages later in the book. This is pretty bad most of the time, but it reaches a nadir in Geist where drat near every thing including all your cool powers are "flavor text flavor text, please refer to p 280 for what this actually does." But there are still vital bits of rules left earlier in the book, so you're constantly flipping back and forth just to know the rule for that one discrete trick you wanted to do.

From what I recall, Promethean is pretty "standard" in how it does them, where they're mostly very specific things that attach to a target, instead of most of the rules for how a whole power works.

If you plan to use them fully, I honestly think a printed summary on one or two pages is better than shuffling through a stack of cards, even for really temporary stuff. The one upside to them being cards is easily accomplished by buying a pack of index cards, with the added bonus you can dash off custom stuff with them.

Still a good game, you should look forward to it. But goddamn do I not like Conditions.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GimpInBlack posted:

"I never thought the leopards would eat my face!" says woman who voted for Leopards Eating Faces party.

"Nurgle isn't infecting the right people!"