Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

ErKeL posted:

It would've been cool to see 31PD active in some of the missions. Could have been a few extra mission types like backing them up getting stuck in a poo poo show, or having the reverse they could provide support while you're hustling out of an evac.

I just remember it being a minor thing in Xenonauts where the national guard would appear in some missions. Usually they just got wrecked but every now they'd melt an alien that was about to rear end kick your squad.

I had a fun moment where a farmer with a shotgun wrecked some alien on his own. I headcanon'd that one of the next batch of recruits was him getting hired on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I never found the extra action for alpha strike particularly useful because of this - everything godmother can do is either free or automatically ends her turn. So moving farther is nice but a lot of the time I didn't get a lot of utility from it just because there wasn't really anywhere I needed to move that far away. Getting bumped up in the turn order is nice though - I could stack her up last on a door and then alpha strike and she'd be much quicker that she would otherwise.

She really really wants the first shooting-doesn't-end-turn weapon mod you find.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Speedball posted:

Depends, did you take out everyone near the breaching point but there were still guys in the room you couldn't shoot at in the back?

Yeah. I kept restarting the mission because I had favorable matchups and just needed my guys to hit their max values and they did. It took me straight to the 2nd breach but no achievement popped up. I tried again and nothing...

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I never found the extra action for alpha strike particularly useful because of this - everything godmother can do is either free or automatically ends her turn. So moving farther is nice but a lot of the time I didn't get a lot of utility from it just because there wasn't really anywhere I needed to move that far away. Getting bumped up in the turn order is nice though - I could stack her up last on a door and then alpha strike and she'd be much quicker that she would otherwise.

For Godmother in particular being able to move > Flush > Cone 4 or Ventilate is a pretty good first turn for disrupting enemy formations after the breach

Flush not ending the turn really made me appreciate it in this incarnation

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

She really wants a reflex grip. As 40 Proof just said you can Move > Flush > Vent on her Alpha Strike turn, but once she's got a grip you can just go ham spamming shotty blasts at everyone. Even better if you get her the Epic that gives her Run and Gun, so she can R&G then Shoot, Shoot/Flush, Ventilate on a single turn.

She is a monster and scales better than any other Squad member without external AP feed.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Taear posted:

Two more sorta buggy things.
Berserk only ever makes enemies attack their allies. Which is nice, but I don't think it tells you that?

The only exception I've seen is that berserk Chryssalids will go and turn civilians into breeding pods

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Using it on melee only enemies results in a lot of civilian deaths

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I just unlocked and bought mastercrafted armour, but my guys haven't gained any slots. Is there any way to fix this?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Cobalt-60 posted:

Any good mods for XCOM2 that add content (new enemies, maps, campaigns)? Wish the Workshop had a "content" tag so I don't have to wade through the 500 stupid reskin mods to see anything.

Thinking of trying Long War 2, but I didn't like the first (OK, I gave up after 4 missions and losing half my soldiers because they COULDN'T HIT ANYTHING and I was stuck either grenade spamming or charging into the open for anything better than a 60% shot.))

I have heard good things about The Hive, MOCX, and A Better Advent. There is also the 40k total enemy replacer, if you want heavily armored opposition.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

habituallyred posted:

I have heard good things about The Hive, MOCX, and A Better Advent. There is also the 40k total enemy replacer, if you want heavily armored opposition.

Absolutely do not download the Hive. It adds completely cheap enemies without meaningful counterplay that are ridiculously overtuned.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i finally got the "... and Clear" achievement after quitting and going back to it. the only thing i can think of is that at one point I used "restart encounter" rather than "restart mission". otherwise no idea why it didn't trigger.

Krazyface posted:

I just unlocked and bought mastercrafted armour, but my guys haven't gained any slots. Is there any way to fix this?

the wording on it is weird. it is only suppose to give you that one extra slot from upgrading to enhanced armor. for mastercrafted armor you keep that extra slot along with +1 armor. you don't actually gain an additional slot.

Mosch
Jul 30, 2013
Blueblood's Fond Farewell seems to work slightly differently than advertised. Instead of doubling the damage his last bullet does, it seems that all damage he does is doubled as long as he has only one bullet left. That applies to DoTs: Adjust ammo with Lightning Hands and/or a regular attack, if needed, then Faceoff in a way that leaves Blueblood with one last bullet in the chamber. All enemies will now take double DoT. I haven't tried it yet, but I want to see if I can combine Impact Frame with it so he can dish out a high damage subdue followed by a double damage shot from overwatch.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I bought the complete XCOM 2 bundle yesterday on Steam. Disabled Alien Hunters, fired the game today. Did tutorial, a couple of missions, 4 hours total gametime. First month changes and I get some covert assigment mission, where I get some resistance bonus if I send two guys "out there" for a few days.

Well, I don't have an experienced enough guy (sergeant+) so uh the game crashes.

I fire up the game again to find out that the Load game screen is empty

There's nothing. I saved multiple times during missions and between missions.

Where are all of my savegames? :psyduck:

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

I bought the complete XCOM 2 bundle yesterday on Steam. Disabled Alien Hunters, fired the game today. Did tutorial, a couple of missions, 4 hours total gametime. First month changes and I get some covert assigment mission, where I get some resistance bonus if I send two guys "out there" for a few days.

Well, I don't have an experienced enough guy (sergeant+) so uh the game crashes.

I fire up the game again to find out that the Load game screen is empty

There's nothing. I saved multiple times during missions and between missions.

Where are all of my savegames? :psyduck:

you dont have cloud save backup? idk how cloud save works, maybe it only loads up your saves when you exit the game, so if you play in one go from tutorial and then crash...
check X:\Users\[USER]\Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\SaveData if there is anything there.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In the game launcher, are you picking vanilla, or War of the Chosen?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Big Mackson posted:

you dont have cloud save backup? idk how cloud save works, maybe it only loads up your saves when you exit the game, so if you play in one go from tutorial and then crash...
check X:\Users\[USER]\Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\SaveData if there is anything there.

I had cloud saves enabled. I did not know the game had cloud saves... does the game just eat everything if you have cloud saves enabled and the buggy POS crashes? :v:

Jabor posted:

In the game launcher, are you picking vanilla, or War of the Chosen?

War of the chosen. That's what I started the game with. I even beat the first violet anime chosen girl encounter in South Africa.

It did not even save my in game settings.. I adjusted some gfx settings etc, everything just gone after 4 hours.

Edit: the only thing it saved was 7 achievements.. well I guess I can replay that with the easy mode and adjust difficulty after replaying.

Also disable steam cloud completely from all the steam games and never ever use it again. And this time check that the loving game actually saves some files to the savegame folder...

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 3, 2020

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Anyone else slightly upset that you have to royally gently caress up to get to use your androids or am I the only botfucker here

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I did the final mission with a multiple-scarred Patchwork. She could only move thr eesquares, six if dashing. :v: It made getting to the elevator... interesting. Axiom went down in the second stage so the robot finally got dusted off and rushed to the center of the map to attract all the fire. It really worked well!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Megazver posted:

I would love them to iterate on this some more but I believe someone from their team said on Twitter there will be no DLC.

Seems unlikely, because the project lead said they're literally not allowed to comment on any future patches or DLC.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I hope it's a costume pack

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
I hope they bring SPARKs back

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

look who's a cereal mascot

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Chairchucker posted:

Seems unlikely, because the project lead said they're literally not allowed to comment on any future patches or DLC.

Well, I hope I'm wrong because I want more content.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Edit: I replied before reading the rest of the thread. Derp.

Reflex grip or whatever it is that let's her shot without ending turn. Means you get to kill 3 baddies on her first go basically, so long as you don't move.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So before and after I binged through Chimera Squad, I've been playing WotC with Musashi's RPGO and a bunch of specialization add-ons for it. I picked the second wave option that just gives a soldier three random perk lines from the whole pool, and it's been a hoot. Some of the combinations I've ended up with are kinda absurd.

For example, I have a Scout-gunslinger-trooper.

The Scout line gets Phantom and Shadowstrike, and "Relocation" which "Refunds an action point when you are revealed from conealment by your own action". And also Hit-and-run which gives a bonus action after shooting at a flanked target. Lastly, Stealth Tactics which automatically puts her in concealment if she starts her turn with no enemies in LoS. This is strong in itself, but:

She also has quickdraw and lightning hands and all that jazz from the good ole Gunslinger line, and the Trooper line has "Escape and Evade", which as a free action gives her concealment until her next turn.

So she can, for example: toss a grenade to break concealment, get refunded the action by Relocation, shoot one of the now exposed enemies and again get refunded the action because Hit-and-Run, pop E&E for free concealment, shoot another poor bastard (with shadowstrike bonuses, mind), AGAIN get refunded the action by Relocation, and then still pop off some pistol shots with lightning hands and quickdraw. This will most likely have killed everything in sight, so next turn she'll automatically re-enter concealment again. poo poo's loving bonkers.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Any good Chimera Squad based mods for Xcom 2 yet?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

malhavok posted:

Any good Chimera Squad based mods for Xcom 2 yet?

I like the one that makes Torque's bind non lethal. I just wish people making character mods would stop getting rid of the black teammates.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I like the one that makes Torque's bind non lethal. I just wish people making character mods would stop getting rid of the black teammates.

:discourse:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I would love a mod that recaps an encounter in real time. Playing it back in real time would put a stamp on xcom being monsters.

Bank robbery, psi baddies holding civilians hostage. Bad guys are waiting it out, no aggression or violence. Suddenly 9 bangs go off in the office upstairs, then silence.

4 gun-slinging motherfuckers come blasting through the wall, firing in every direction. Three dead before anyone can blink. One plucky idiot fires back and misses by a lot. The death squad stands in formation unleashing a hellscape of bullets and grenades. One seems to crack a joke but nobody hears clearly over the screams.

5 second later, total silence. A civilian hears one of their nightmares say 'flawless mission' as they walk out the door. Nobody moves a muscle until 31PD show up to clean the blood stains.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Andromedon party member. Explodes through walls all the time, every time. Haha.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
do andromedon civillians roll around in like big hamster wheels or do they get a non-military version of the suit

do they get a lot of construction work due to their mech piloting skills. Seems like your average andromedon could wrangle that loader from aliens really expertly

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
pretty sure andromedons are one of those irredeemable aliens like chrissalids

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Chrysalllids are basically animals. I assume Andromedons would just get hooked up into the matrix like Archons do.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Andromedons have a space dome full of toxic coolant they party in, and they get suited up when they have to go outside

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
I’m waiting on a mod to let me deploy androids from the beginning of a mission, just out of curiosity....I beat expert (hard?) and only ever deployed one Android on one mission (loving Shelter).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ulmont posted:

I’m waiting on a mod to let me deploy androids from the beginning of a mission, just out of curiosity....I beat expert (hard?) and only ever deployed one Android on one mission (loving Shelter).

They're explicitly emergency units since they have no skills.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Finished my first game - went Sacred Coil, Grey Phoenix, then the Psionic guys on Expert half-heal. I never actually needed the half heal. Started with Torque, Godmother, Terminal, and Zephyr, but final squad was minus Torque and Zephyr and plus Blueblood and Axiom. I only benched Torque because the equipment bug hit and I couldn't give her a weapon but could equip 27 nanomedkits. Of the people I played with a quick tier list was:

Blueblood: It's been said before but it needs repeating - giving him Faceoff is just criminal. I grabbed a superior scope and extended mag and ignored the "first / last bullet perks" and got him lightning hands. He could singlehandedly ruin one encounter by breaching in, everyone chips at the units, then Blueblood lightning hands a strong one, deadeyes a strong one, then faceoff to kill 7-8 enemies at once, with those that don't die usually succumbing to the fire damage. Really the only thing that would make him more powerful is if he had some sort of superior non-angular overwatch that oh wait he does. Super broken character who pumps damage out like a madman. The fact that you can start with 2 shots and deadeye is absurd - so many times in the early game you don't want to move and fire, and being able to use deadeye off the bat means you can adjust your strategy for how much aim / how much hp the opponent has. Proposed balance: add a cooldown to deadeye, potentially 1 turn, maybe up to 2 if that isn't enough. Special agent training changed to 1 mobility. Principal agent changed to "the first reload each mission does not cost an action point."

Terminal: The amount of sustain Terminal provides is good one its own, but with a high damage output squad it allows you to take more risks and be more aggressive, resulting in more dead aliens. Most situations you can either play it safe and move on with 3-9 health lost depending on how bad things go, or go aggressive and lose about 4-6. Being aggressive gets you hit hard, while being in cover gets grazers, so Terminal can adjust to this mentality so a crit isn't a big deal. Beyond this her biggest asset is Cooperation which is just far too powerful. This is the ability that breaks Motile Enducer (the free turn, not just action, full turn) item because at least you don't know if you're going to get it in the turn order. Terminal skips that, allowing you to coop the person with the motile inducer, which is a grenade, so the coop person gets ANOTHER action. Overall just too powerful. Proposed balance: increase cooperation cooldown to 4 or change cooperation to "Instantly allows a character to have a bonus action - items cannot be used during this action". More conversations about how she ate marked food from the work refrigerator with the player option to then fire her or have all other agents suffer permanent morale decline and guarantee to fire at her when panicked or berserk.

Godmother: Just a ton of damage and mobility. Ventilate, fan fire, and run and gun / rapid fire eventually are a huge combination. Building her super aggressive then taking untouchable is just as good as it was in X-COM 2 WotC as you get in close then shrug off an attack. If there are two enemies between you and your next teammate you can kill one and absorb the shot of the other (see Zephyr as well). The biggest point balancing Godmother is her reliance on ammo and an extended magazine or reloader - this is erased by her final training but, again, it requires 5 days, so that balances it out quite a bit. I went last stand in my aggressive setup and it triggered once and was super handy. I often found it tricky to use all of her actions, especially on breach, because all she really wants to do is move then fire, so I would generally put her somewhere flanky with her extra moves so she would draw fire with untouchable. Balance changes: make untouchable once per round - it's possible to kill someone, absorb a shot, then during the round due to overtime, coop, team up, etc., get another kill and absorb another shot, essentially neutralizing 4 enemies. Bigger change would be giving it a one-turn cooldown.

Torque: I had a hard time picking between the poison and bind suite, in my first tutorial game I went bind, so I went poison this time and was happy with it. Overall Torque didn't feel overpowered in this mode. Tag Team is a good example of how broken Terminal's cooperation is - it's relatively the same ability but the pull is generally a downside, since it is so hard to pull someone into cover, making it a more well balanced ability AND it requires a five-day training investment. The ability to pull out (and eventually kill) a unit and, with investment in bind, do it quickly and without interruption, is fantastic. The final bite is overwhelming, but her high dodge and mobility make her a real asset. A very flexible character who I found charging in, dropping poison, sitting in it to heal, and binding people up / biting them / shooting them. Fits an aggressive playstyle with Terminal with the poison package or a defensive playstyle with Cherub with the bind package. Balance changes: none for now feels in a good place!

Zephyr: I struggled with where to put Zephyr her because she was god-tier in the early game but fell off HARD in the late game. One of the handiest things about Zephyr was the ability to move onto an objective, run and hit someone, then momentum to another objective or towards an evac. The mobility came in super handy, but 90% of the time I was using Parry for the same reason Godmother's untouchable is so good. Early game getting a hit + parry will often neutralize two enemies which is a godsend, way too powerful. This is balanced slightly by her god-awful breach skill. I went with both the +1 damage and ignore armor skills and she was still failing to down targets in the mid and late game. Because of this low damage output Reaper became basically a wasted spot. She's hurt double because she can't upgrade her weapon or equip special ammo, which is basically a -3 damage hit compared to other endgame characters. None the less her early game is far too powerful. Balance changes: Swap parry and crowd control - crowd control does a lot of damage early in the game but it leaves Zephyr exposed which balances it. No parry will make her less of an early game monster. Change high impact to: "If Fearless Advance kills its target gain +1 damage this round" - invest 5 days, and plan your breach strategy, and her damage won't be AS lackluster. Any other +damage effects like an upgraded weapon or using ammo I think would be too powerful.

Axiom: I wasn't really feeling Axiom's toolset. I'd pop the "no cooldowns" cooldown, rage him up, run him in for a shotgun blast or a punch, he might do some damage, then get shot, then go punch that person for ~3 damage, I dunno it didn't feel super effective. I don't remember a single time his panicking people swung a round, but I did see some smashes on very high-HP targets that resulted in a "do not pass go go straight to unconscious" that was super fun to see. Ultimately I think Axiom needs to be re-thought a bit. The ability to cheese out 5 rage right away, which is then lost the moment you make one berserk extra move, feels like it cheats out the system. All that rage does is increase the chance of status effects from smash, which is already underwhelming. His best feature by far was shrug it off, which was magical, and prevented so much damage as to make it almost worth taking him just as a shotgun go. Balance changes: Mostly i think Axiom needs a "feel" change. Remove the free rage spammer cooldown and replace it with an alternate rage generator - my suggestion would be something like a shot that is -15% to aim but generates +1 rage if it hits. The same berserk mechanics apply, but he isn't always guaranteed to lose berserk. Slam would be the core rage "dump" and would scale up in damage, tighten damage margin, become guaranteed to hit, destroy cover, and then create an aoe, as rage goes up. This all gets too confusing but we need some sort of build then spend mechanism that feels fluid and impactful.

I haven't played enough of the other characters to judge them yet but I shall.

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 3, 2020

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Patchwork is MVP fighting Sacred Coil, then kind of pointless. Weird dichotomy.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I would love a mod that recaps an encounter in real time. Playing it back in real time would put a stamp on xcom being monsters.

Bank robbery, psi baddies holding civilians hostage. Bad guys are waiting it out, no aggression or violence. Suddenly 9 bangs go off in the office upstairs, then silence.

4 gun-slinging motherfuckers come blasting through the wall, firing in every direction. Three dead before anyone can blink. One plucky idiot fires back and misses by a lot. The death squad stands in formation unleashing a hellscape of bullets and grenades. One seems to crack a joke but nobody hears clearly over the screams.

5 second later, total silence. A civilian hears one of their nightmares say 'flawless mission' as they walk out the door. Nobody moves a muscle until 31PD show up to clean the blood stains.

what else to say but :same:

maybe let me fly the camera around and set off slow mo and doves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Patchwork is MVP fighting Sacred Coil, then kind of pointless. Weird dichotomy.

Yeah, I ended up doing Sacred Coil as my first investigation and that last mission would have been a lot more difficult without her