Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

I really like the, "I miss it. The steel sky." line too. Apparently in Japanese it was just, "I hate the sky", which seems like a way, way less poignant and meaningful line, honestly.

And FF7R is clearly widely hated by audiences, as it has a terrible user score of of 8/10 on metacritic based on 4037 reviews. I guess it is somewhat divisive, though, as it has 3,051 positive reviews, 698 negative reviews, and only 288 mixed reviews. People either loved it or frothing-at-the-mouth hated it, with very little in between.

That's quite an 'overwhelmingly negative' response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think a Final Fantasy product has had this positive a response in the last 20 years.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know, I'm not gonna defend the kids in chapter 8 or every detail of every side quest, but I'll say that the "merc work" in the first half does serve a good story purpose in that it establishes Cloud as a wandering ronin type like Zatoichi

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm surprised there's a perception that fans are being particularly negative about the game because to me the online discourse doesn't seem too different from how it went for every FF game since like X and maybe that's just because I wasn't online for when any previous games were released. Maybe more positive than usual as I feel general consensus went from "Can't wait to see Square gently caress this one up" to "Wow, can't believe they pulled it off".

Everything just seems par for the course.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

stev posted:

I don't think a Final Fantasy product has had this positive a response in the last 20 years.

FFX had similar levels of hype and praise as this one, from what I remember.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

precision posted:

FFX had similar levels of hype and praise as this one, from what I remember.

Ok 19 years.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
People like the MMOs....now.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

dreamweaver is one of the best boss fights in all of video games

What...what the gently caress...I know you played the game because you called it 'dream weaver'

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

stev posted:

Yeah it's wild how much people are down with FF7R, even with the changes to the story and the hokey-rear end time ghosts. It only looks overwhelmingly negative if you seek out the controversy and hotbox the opinions you find (possibly because you agree with them and find reading and watching those takes personally validating which, tbf, is a pretty normal thing to do) and weren't there for the 13 trilogy, or 12, or 14 1.0.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

stev posted:

Shadowbringers has nearly universal acclaim.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The reception would probably be a lot worse if the combat wasn't this good.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

stev posted:

Ok 19 years.

what the gently caress

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think the reception to FF7R has been remotely controversial or mixed besides the usual "slap in the face" internet people you find in absolutely every medium. It's gotten great reviews and is an early candidate for GOTY shortlists.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mulva posted:

Shadowbringers has nearly universal acclaim.

All the good reception of FFXIV post ARR is balanced from 1.0.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The time ghosts won me over with the Hojo stage exit. It's so hilarious it works.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 3, 2020

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

The ghosts just yeeting Hojo away when he's about to spoil the plot for Cloud was hilarious, how do people not love them

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I think I'm done arguing about the ending and the ghosts because it's the most massive headache in the world and actively souring an experience I otherwise enjoyed.
Instead, the only debate I will engage in will be why Tifa is Best Girl.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

UnderFreddy posted:

The ghosts just yeeting Hojo away when he's about to spoil the plot for Cloud was hilarious, how do people not love them

Yeah that was a fun moment. Is there a breakdown of all the times the ghosts intervened to keep the plot on track? For the first half of the game they seemed to just be there to be generally spooky and gently caress poo poo up so I didn't pay too much attention to how they were changing/not changing things.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I hope they rename Safer Sephiroth to OSHA-Compliant Sephiroth.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm surprised there's a perception that fans are being particularly negative about the game because to me the online discourse doesn't seem too different from how it went for every FF game since like X and maybe that's just because I wasn't online for when any previous games were released. Maybe more positive than usual as I feel general consensus went from "Can't wait to see Square gently caress this one up" to "Wow, can't believe they pulled it off".

Everything just seems par for the course.

It's funny to watch a certain kind of fan's whiplash when people they've attached their ego to actually like the game.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

stev posted:

Yeah that was a fun moment. Is there a breakdown of all the times the ghosts intervened to keep the plot on track? For the first half of the game they seemed to just be there to be generally spooky and gently caress poo poo up so I didn't pay too much attention to how they were changing/not changing things.

https://twitter.com/istanleyff7/status/1256008237268078592

This twitter thread has all of them from the Ultimania

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Well that's handy! Cheers.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
That thread really helps highlight how limited in scope the Whisper's actually are as entities. They seem to have to physically confirm events are going the way they want them to be. And outside of physically interacting with events, they lack any ability one would assume "Guardians of Fate" would actually have. I also think the wording on the final Wedge incident is interesting, that their intervention was not because Wedge was alive, but because he was trying to intervene to help Barret. It gives the impression that if he'd just stayed at Elmyra's they would've left him alone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Even Fate doesn't give a crap about Wedge :(

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

"... and that, children, is where the term 'wedgie' comes from."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Beefstew posted:

I think I'm done arguing about the ending and the ghosts because it's the most massive headache in the world and actively souring an experience I otherwise enjoyed.
Instead, the only debate I will engage in will be why Tifa is Best Girl.

Only if you agree that Aerith and Tifa belong together

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pollyanna posted:

Only if you agree that Aerith and Tifa belong together

Sorry but this is fanservice garbage because Aeris and Yuffie were MADE for each other c'mon it's so obvious people!!!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Sorry but this is fanservice garbage because Aeris and Yuffie were MADE for each other c'mon it's so obvious people!!!

Aertrek :aatrek:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

cock hero flux posted:

Normally when he does his flying around poo poo in the original he melts through walls and disappears pretty quickly but in that one he really does just go "alright, later", bean cloud with a rock and then sedately hover off down the hallway.

That's why I unironically love that scene.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Onmi posted:

That thread really helps highlight how limited in scope the Whisper's actually are as entities. They seem to have to physically confirm events are going the way they want them to be. And outside of physically interacting with events, they lack any ability one would assume "Guardians of Fate" would actually have. I also think the wording on the final Wedge incident is interesting, that their intervention was not because Wedge was alive, but because he was trying to intervene to help Barret. It gives the impression that if he'd just stayed at Elmyra's they would've left him alone.

Which makes sense, since if he stayed there the party would have gone to Shinra HQ, did their thing, then get forced to flee and leave Midgar. Since Midgar becomes entirely irrelevant until the raid in late disc 2, Wedge surviving changes absolutely nothing. If the party managed to get on that helicopter, things would have instantly gone off rails, so the timecops made sure to take care of Wedge so he couldn't do anything else.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Jim Sterling went into detail last week about the difference between false advertisement vs narrative subversion with Final Fantasy 7 being the catalyst:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk6YOdayoeg

A good video. Honestly, I've seen some people disappointed with the ending but I don't think it comes out of left field at all and but for the most part it's been overwhelmingly positive and is introducing an entire new generation to characters for them to ship.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

Yeah, I think that's something that gets missed a lot when people talk about how the group killed Literally Fate or some sort of Actual God at the end of FF7R.

They're basically a Weapon. They're not omniscient or omnipotent. They're a physical force with a pretty narrow area of influence: follow a specific group of people to push them down a specific path to the best of their ability. It actually seems like they might not have really existed at all prior to just a few days/weeks before FF7R begins, and they probably don't interact with anything other than major events that need to happen a certain way so the main characters do the FF7 things. They turn into a big monster thing at the end because they're combining together into one Weapon-like form.

Red XIII describes them as "arbiters of fate" because he understands the planet's will as fate, and the Whispers enforce that will. That doesn't make them the literal physical manifestation of the cosmic force of destiny that is now gone from everywhere in the universe. They served what the planet sees as capital-D Destiny, yes, but they're still a physical thing right from the start, basically just anti-"poo poo's going wrong" antibodies.

In fairness, I don't think the game communicates their relatively narrow scope all that well, and it's easy to see the characters talking about "fighting fate" and entering into a weird Whisper dimension and assume they're killing off an actual, metaphysical concept, but stepping back and looking at what the Whispers do and how they work, you can at least get an idea that they're a lot more fallible and limited in scope than they first appear.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

precision posted:

Even Fate doesn't give a crap about Wedge :(

Oh fate didn't forget about Wedge :unsmigghh:.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh fate didn't forget about Wedge :unsmigghh:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M15U22bWeas&t=30s

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I think that's something that gets missed a lot when people talk about how the group killed Literally Fate or some sort of Actual God at the end of FF7R.

They're basically a Weapon. They're not omniscient or omnipotent. They're a physical force with a pretty narrow area of influence: follow a specific group of people to push them down a specific path to the best of their ability. It actually seems like they might not have really existed at all prior to just a few days/weeks before FF7R begins, and they probably don't interact with anything other than major events that need to happen a certain way so the main characters do the FF7 things. They turn into a big monster thing at the end because they're combining together into one Weapon-like form.

Red XIII describes them as "arbiters of fate" because he understands the planet's will as fate, and the Whispers enforce that will. That doesn't make them the literal physical manifestation of the cosmic force of destiny that is now gone from everywhere in the universe. They served what the planet sees as capital-D Destiny, yes, but they're still a physical thing right from the start, basically just anti-"poo poo's going wrong" antibodies.

In fairness, I don't think the game communicates their relatively narrow scope all that well, and it's easy to see the characters talking about "fighting fate" and entering into a weird Whisper dimension and assume they're killing off an actual, metaphysical concept, but stepping back and looking at what the Whispers do and how they work, you can at least get an idea that they're a lot more fallible and limited in scope than they first appear.

Framing them as a WEAPON makes sense because they're making sure things go as they did before to protect the planet.

It was saved by the skin of the party's teeth, but they do seem to be running more on instinct here.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BaDandy posted:

Framing them as a WEAPON makes sense because they're making sure things go as they did before to protect the planet.

It was saved by the skin of the party's teeth, but they do seem to be running more on instinct here.

Yeah, and acting on instinct makes me compare them even more to WEAPONs. In the original, the WEAPONs were spawned by the planet to kill Sephiroth and defend it from Meteor, but because the WEAPONs couldn't get to Sephiroth, they just start rampaging and attacking anything else that is a threat to the planet (hence the attacks on Junon and Midgar). And much like the Whispers, their instinct isn't wrong--Shinra is a threat to the planet--but it's somewhat misaimed in the moment, and they're destructive enough in going after their goal that it's understandable the humans want to fight back.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why didn't the party simply lure Sephiroth to Ruby weapon and kill two birds with one stone.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

stev posted:

Why didn't the party simply lure Sephiroth to Ruby weapon and kill two birds with one stone.

he had a dupe of the hades materia. evil sonuvabitch thought of everything

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

stev posted:

Because Sephiroth doesn't have any legs and can't leave the Northern Crater

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Onmi posted:

Because Sephiroth doesn't have any legs and can't leave the Northern Crater

Just get him a wheelchair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
i remember people online making GBS threads on ffx for its lack of world map which meant it aint a proper final fantasy. outside tidus character design, no world map and blitzball people loved it.

but yeah if you dont count mmos id agree the remake is the best received final fantasy since x