Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Or is the main concern (a very justifiable one) more that this is absolutely going to play in the most racist way possible.

Basically this. One way you could maybe do it is get rid of visa classes that allow conditions of employment worse than for permanent residents or citizens, and closely monitor companies who employ, say, international students and backpackers, to make sure pay and conditions are being legally upheld.

But there'd be a tightrope to walk in implementing stuff like that. A bunch of industries would be up in arms about any extra scrutiny.

(also it'd help if they raised Job Keeper permanently)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I love it right now that they show some red faced liberal fuckhead screaming about restarting school because it's safe and it's back to back with a cluster coming from a school in the last day.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Whitlam posted:

ABC reporting a primary school teacher in Epping, Vic has tested positive for coronavirus and the school would have to be closed. Sorry for the teacher and worried families etc. but huge fan of the timing, with Morrison and Tehan trying to pressure Dandrews into opening the schools.

Dan Tehan has now put out a media release saying he overstepped the mark with his comments and he withdraws them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Whitlam posted:

Dan Tehan has now put out a media release saying he overstepped the mark with his comments and he withdraws them.

Haha

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
life comes at your fast

https://twitter.com/andrew_lund/status/1256796933412098049

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
An absolutely stupid and avoidable situation of Tehan making GBS threads his dacks live on air.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

JBP posted:

I love it right now that they show some red faced liberal fuckhead screaming about restarting school because it's safe and it's back to back with a cluster coming from a school in the last day.

I teach and all four of my own children currently have fevers over 38, one of them has the sniffles. Who thinks I should get one of them tested? The GP just said if the fever doesn't go away in 2 days or some other symptoms show up (gave me a list) to bring them in for a physical check up. They wouldn't let me bring them in physically though, so Im not sure if he meant that.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Clicking through and I find Dandrews approval rating is at 75%

https://twitter.com/ghostwhovotes/status/1254878012178235393?s=21

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Oh lol all state leader polls are huge like that.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Konomex posted:

WA's staffing situation is hosed and the union has been chasing the Department up on it since they hosed it.

As a WA teacher I'm interested in this. Could you elaborate on this point? What exactly is hosed about it?

I know that the SSTUWA has been pushing for pay rises while the state govt has been saying that because other public departments aren't getting anything neither will teachers. Is there something else that I've missed?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Konomex posted:

I teach and all four of my own children currently have fevers over 38, one of them has the sniffles. Who thinks I should get one of them tested? The GP just said if the fever doesn't go away in 2 days or some other symptoms show up (gave me a list) to bring them in for a physical check up. They wouldn't let me bring them in physically though, so Im not sure if he meant that.

I think you should do what the doctor says to do

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You can and should drive them to a Roni camp for testing in Melbourne if you live there. Add those statistics.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

JBP posted:

Expand.

So most of what I am going to say has been expended on in other posts, but the younger gen stay away from unions cause when they do need to join they are told to suck poo poo, should of joined eailer. At the same time since most of these union members are older and so still have permanent full time jobs, any bargaining will be on their behalf in exchange the younger gen get screwed to compensate union power at the top end.

Its led to that many conversations with other younger people tend to call unions boomer groups since they do not have the younger workforce interest in their mind, and when the workers do they get screwed over for not being part, or cause they are the minority in the union and so can be ignored.

The fact I have to explain any of this here shows out of touch this thread is with unions

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

hambeet posted:

Clicking through and I find Dandrews approval rating is at 75%

https://twitter.com/ghostwhovotes/status/1254878012178235393?s=21

My dad is a labor supporter but worries all the time, and was saying oh these attacks on Andrews will stick!

This shows that he should stay the course. He has a good way of confronting the issue head on and not waffling- his “I’m not premier to be popular” speech was a great example of it. I think you’ll find most people even if they disagree with Andrews on say timing will respect the path laid out.

That and the libs can’t argue their way out of a paper bag here in Victoria. “Why has Andrews decided to have unchecked power?” - no

“Let’s kill all bats!” - yes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Stevefin posted:

So most of what I am going to say has been expended on in other posts, but the younger gen stay away from unions cause when they do need to join they are told to suck poo poo, should of joined eailer. At the same time since most of these union members are older and so still have permanent full time jobs, any bargaining will be on their behalf in exchange the younger gen get screwed to compensate union power at the top end.

Its led to that many conversations with other younger people tend to call unions boomer groups since they do not have the younger workforce interest in their mind, and when the workers do they get screwed over for not being part, or cause they are the minority in the union and so can be ignored.

The fact I have to explain any of this here shows out of touch this thread is with unions

Young people join. It's the old ones that are harder to sign up. You get an induction and most young people join. It's hard to shift the old ones from being delegates, but my world was warehousing and everyone was shoved around so much in seven years of casualisation and labour hire jobs that there wasn't much entrenched culture and a lot of olds used to be in a union. So when a shed went majority it had very good representation from the floor. I recall my best two delegates being a man and a woman both about 35. Commanded absolute respect.

There however entrenched union sites with some good entitlements and there's a union boomer club of direct hires 100%. I've never heard the kids call it the boomer club though, only ever the loser club.

E: the kick being that the long term workers were losers in life

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 3, 2020

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
poo poo, when I was young and stupid I signed up for the SDA when I started at Coles.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It always interesting watching the students or idk aspirational people who have found pretty good hourly wages versus the guys that are just in it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i voted howard AND joined a union in the same year.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hambeet posted:

You magnificent wonder.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I know the SDA helped a coworker keep her job when they tried to fire her after she broke up her relationship with the boss, so they aren't completely useless, only mostly useless.

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010
They're actively working with the company to undermine the campaign RAFFWU are running at work right now, so not going to give them any real credit.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

hambeet posted:

Confused poo poo you do when you're 18 is forgivable (I hope, I have sins of the past too)

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

When I was a CPSU delegate in Brisbane, I'd say the most active members of the union were about my age at the time, late 20s or early 30s. The older members only really got involved with the union if they had something wrong, like when EA negotiations were underway, the younger members were by far more involved and interested and talking about stuff with their teammates.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hambeet posted:

hambeet is a land of contrasts

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

hambeet posted:

was the vote for John Howard the actor in the Logies?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hambeet posted:

In conclusion, hambeet is a land of contrasts.

Edit:

GoldStandardConure posted:

hambeet is a land of contrasts

gently caress.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

hambeet posted:

this makes sense to me. you're a cop, right? like one of those victorian cops that murders people

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

In conclusion, hambeet is a land of contrasts.

Edit:

gently caress.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

realbez posted:

I think you should do what the doctor says to do

Well he basically said just sit around and wait, didn't mention testing them at all. So sit they will. I haven't had any symptoms though, so I'm off to work tomorrow.

bobvonunheil posted:

As a WA teacher I'm interested in this. Could you elaborate on this point? What exactly is hosed about it?

I know that the SSTUWA has been pushing for pay rises while the state govt has been saying that because other public departments aren't getting anything neither will teachers. Is there something else that I've missed?

I'm going to waffle for a bit here, ask questions if I'm not clear. I'm weirdly passionate about this poo poo.
How long have you been teaching for? We used to have a series of pools you'd put yourself into and nominate the schools you'd be happy teaching at, it was almost impossible to get a metro spot so you'd go country, then get transfer points and put yourself into a transfer pool to move from the country to the metro region. You could never go metro to metro unless you completed some sort of complicated blood magic ritual with another teacher to which both of your principals agreed to and simply swapped positions, that mechanism still exists and no one uses it.

Anyway, they brought in the 'special independent schools' dealio, who can put up ads and people apply for them. Going through this system twice now, it's pretty clear no one knows what they're doing, how to run interviews, or read applications for criteria, or how to conduct a coherent interview. Some places can do one of those, most can't do any. They'll shoot down applications and give reasons such as 'your application showed you meet all the criteria, but you didn't write it in this format we learned about at a PD day we did, so sorry'. Which is not how that is meant to work. Or they'll ask a bunch of very specific questions at the interview, and when I didn't get that job was told I hadn't talked about a completely unrelated topic enough, which they had not asked any questions about. Most schools just seem to hire people they know, or relief teachers they've had at their school for a while because they're terrified that a teacher they hire based on their great references and application is secretly terrible. I can say this from a teaching position, at schools I have been at. They all hire people they know if they can, and they'll never stop talking about that one guy they got in on a fixed-term contract 8 years ago who was legitimately not very good at their job but no one could be hosed mentoring them into being better.

So now we have this weird two-tier system, with more and more schools switching to the independent model, and the department trying to encourage it. So people are getting stuck in an endless cycle of fixed-term contracts, relief, or they're in a permanent position and there is very little ability to move. For example, I put out 30 applications last year, I got into 20 rounds of interviews. I got into 10 pools, I was offered 2 jobs. At any time between now and part way into next year I might get offered a job in one of those pools, which leaves my current school high and dry if I decide I like that job more. Fun fact, I accepted the first of those two jobs, then immediately turned around and told them I had accepted another position a few weeks later. It really fucks schools over, and they need to do all the staffing themselves with no training in how to do it. They are still expected to do their processes to public sector standards which means if you wanted too, you could probably put in a breach for any job you went for and they'd find they'd hosed the process up.

I spoke to staffing about the best way to get a job, aside from going country again, because no one is going country anymore except the people who are practically unhireable in the city (graduates and relief teachers who really struggle with behaviour management or straight up can't teach). The country schools are hosed with no end in sight, schools just turning over and endless stream of graduates who either manage to win a position back in the city after a year or two, or just quit because they're unsupported and it is hard teaching in a country town as a graduate.

What was I saying, oh yeah. Staffing! They said the best way to move around metro to metro is to put yourself into the fixed term pool, but that requires your Principal to okay the move. Principals do not okay temporary moves, multiple Principals have straight up told me this to my face. It leaves a filled permanent position which they need to put fixed-term staff into, and they don't like the uncertainty, they'd rather have a proper permanent staff member in that permanent position, so opportunities for growth or trying new things either require a great deal of uncertainty in your job, or you knife the other staff in your own school for those positions.

The Union takes these issues to them every EBA we renegotiate, they've agreed to actually come up with training for school leaders now, so that's a step in the right direction. No idea how they think they'll fix the staffing mess, because it's going to start showing up more and more in the data. Depends how much the Department cares about the regions I suppose.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Whoo boy. Lets go.

Stevefin posted:

No union will turn a younger person away unless it is plainly clear that they had ample opportunities to join and didn't, or ignored an issue until the last minute and expected the union's staff to spend a tonne of their time, paid for by other members, representing them. It happens, but it's rarely young people doing this. It's almost always shithead libertarians in their late 30s through 50s who think they can manage their own affairs, until they realise they can't. This is some major STDH.txt.

Stevefin posted:

If this is true, then it is likely limited to a specific industy. Most of the unions I have anything to do with are EXTREMELY keen to get younger people on board. The issue is that casualisation and insecure work has prevented people from joining for both financial reasons, as well as fear of being discriminated against by shithead middle managers. Most unions have a specific discount rate for casual members now, and some are introducing casual reps on committees to improve representation. Most if not ALL unions that are not the SDA fight hard against creeping casualisation. There are bad people in unions, and most unions have had a period where their leadership probably stuck around too long or became focused on a particular set of issues, but most unions are extremely aware of these issues at the moment.

Stevefin posted:

A huge chunk of the people in this thread are in unions. Most are engaged members, some are office bearers, and a few do or have worked for unions. Based on your incredibly lovely takes on modern union culture, I'd say the thread isn't the issue here, Chet. But regardless, if your union isn't doing what you want it to, don't whine about it on an internet forum - contact the organiser, find out if there are any vacant offices or committee spots, tell them you'd like to be involved, and loving do something about it. Most organisers would be so shocked that somebody actually wants to take on a voluntary officer role that they'll invite you out for coffee the next day.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Thanks for this! It's enlightening.

I'm in my fourth year as a teacher, so pretty new to the whole deal. I'm currently working at one of those 'independent schools' and have been lucky enough to get permanency. It was an odd situation; the established school and another nearby one were closing and forming a new joint school, and they were handing out a bunch of permanent contracts and I lucked in to getting it. When I applied I was definitely implicitly told "write your application in this specific way" though.

The current independent system seems custom-tailored to turbofuck remote schools, definitely. What you said about management being bad at recruitment resonates with me because I went to a district union meeting where the question was asked "Is there an issue with nepotism in your school?" and the entire room raised their hands - I wasn't really aware that there was an issue with it beforehand.

I'm curious about the whole thing at the moment because I'm about to take a year's leave to be a stay-at-home dad for 2021, and would really like to be able to transition into a more local placement for 2022 so I don't have to drive as far (or at all, if I'm lucky), which looks like it will require me to at least line myself up for relief work in T3/T4 at my school of choice. I'm going to have to ask myself if it's worth giving up my permanency, by the look of it.

Purk
Aug 9, 2017
"Several weeks" until they decide on AAP's future. Several weeks also being when parts are meant to shut. Cool. Good. Glad for the extended wait.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Konomex posted:

Most schools just seem to hire people they know, or relief teachers they've had at their school for a while because they're terrified that a teacher they hire based on their great references and application is secretly terrible. I can say this from a teaching position, at schools I have been at. They all hire people they know if they can, and they'll never stop talking about that one guy they got in on a fixed-term contract 8 years ago who was legitimately not very good at their job but no one could be hosed mentoring them into being better.

I know several teachers who have been hosed over by this system. Often its used so they can do the old jobs for the boys which is really bad. 10 years country teaching doesn't mean poo poo if the principal knows a guy.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
There are several teachers at the school I'm working who taught me as a student when I was there decades ago. A few years ago one of them decided to cut back on their hours, and the school hired a younger teacher who was relatively inexperienced but was at least enthusiastic and knew what they were teaching about. At the end of the year they weren't offered an ongoing contract despite expecting it, but the school put out ads for a similar-but-different role and the faculty head suggested the young teacher should re-apply. When I came back next year instead of hiring anyone new the older teacher was back to full-time again. Now it's possible that the younger teacher had genuine issues I didn't hear about, but it all seemed a bit unfair to me; I lost touch with them but last I heard the younger teacher was surviving on relief shifts - and even covered a few sessions here last year anyway.

And since we're talking about unions, I think I told this anecdote before, but I've been told directly by a rep that despite the top org ignoring part of the agreement relating to our specific role, there's not enough of us in the state to make it worth antagonising them. But the union does plenty of other good work and frankly, knowing what the employer tried to push through in the last EBA makes it hard to understand why more of the staff aren't members.

uvar fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 3, 2020

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

It is not unique to teaching, most hiring is trying to get additional people like are already in the team while trying to avoid importing or creating drama.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

This is just my experience being in rural queensland, unions don't tend to give a drat out here

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I can't think of anything more soul destroying than being an organiser in rural Qld lol

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
One of my parents was a WA teacher for a long time and the distinct impression I got from their stories was that schools/departments were often run like fiefdoms, and if you wanted one of the more desirable positions/locations you'd have to wait until someone dies.

I mean, good for all the folks able to secure a stable position, but it means there's schools out there with a substantial old guard, which means few real opportunities for new teachers to secure permanent positions without moving to the middle of nowhere.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

I can't think of anything more soul destroying than being an organiser in rural Qld lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

JBP posted:

Jokes on you we have no souls anyway.