Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

josh04 posted:

If a friend tells you a humourous story about child naming it is always, 100% of the time, an urban myth. There is something about child-name urban myths which makes people determined to represent them as something they personally saw absolute proof of, despite them always being absolute bollocks.

it's racism, op

e: Number 12 Looks Just Like You

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ronya posted:

On the downside, though, there's so little money available that it's relatively easy for some institutional heft to quietly push things around by simply choosing whose voices to emphasize: too many voices chasing the same few institutional funds and institutional access to the right mailing lists and Whatsapp groups and Telegram channels.

This is interesting because I think it mirrors whats going on in the post-austerity UK in general.
Austerity, while pissing off most public bodies, has also made them even more subservient to government because nobody can hope of surviving without their largesse anymore.
so it has actually increased the soft power of the government substantially

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Vitamin P posted:

To be clear I'm language libertarian

lol

Edit:

Vitamin P posted:

I'm a cringe sincere poster.

lol

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 3, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Going to have a niece in a few weeks. Bit annoyed my sister has turned down my naming suggestion of "Verruca Sephiroth"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Communist Thoughts posted:

This is interesting because I think it mirrors whats going on in the post-austerity UK in general.
Austerity, while pissing off most public bodies, has also made them even more subservient to government because nobody can hope of surviving without their largesse anymore.
so it has actually increased the soft power of the government substantially

Post austerity? Lol I don’t even get the extra £20 a week because I’m on legacy benefits and they haven’t tacked it on to income support, PIP, or carers.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

josh04 posted:

If a friend tells you a humourous story about child naming it is always, 100% of the time, an urban myth. There is something about child-name urban myths which makes people determined to represent them as something they personally saw absolute proof of, despite them always being absolute bollocks.

A guy I used to work would describe events that happened in viral videos as if they either happened to him or someone he knew.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

josh04 posted:

I have personally met Richard Head, so they're not all myths.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
I heard someone named their child Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, can you imagine.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jedit posted:

And my mate's dad is called Michael Hunt.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

There should absolutely be a mechanism to protect kids from their parents' lovely naming attempts, but it needs to be decentralised because I can easily imagine a british naming law saying no to welsh or gaidhlig names.
Maybe in the 1890s, but the legal status of Welsh, Scottish Gaelic, Irish, Scots, Ulster Scots and Cornish (you can take an oath of allegiance or court affirmation in all of them, which is the closest to a de jure language as the UK can be bothered) ought to rule that out.

Mandating that names with no consensus Romanization like مُحَمَّد‎ or علي‎ be registered as 'John' or 'Clive' to placate the haram steak lot otoh...

Jedit posted:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Norway has a law to "protect" rare surnames. If fewer than 200 people are registered with a particular surname and someone else wants to change their name to it, they first have to get permission from everyone else in the country with that name. Being a foreigner my surname is unusual enough to be protected, so I'm just waiting for the day when I get the call to wield this incredible power.

Not really sure what the purpose of this law is, but I'm going to assume it probably has roots in stopping commoners adopting noble names.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I played football in uni with a Michael Caine.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Have we already forgotten the thrilling two months when Dick Braine was leader of UKIP?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

What about Tokyo Sexwale? More of a TRP thing I guess, but he was also Nelson Mandela's ally and friend.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Old pro wrestler Ricky Steamboat's real name is Richard Blood.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
When your real name is too hardcore for wrestling so you have to tone it down.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
It will always be a wonder to me that epitome of masculinity, the wrestler Big Daddy, was named Shirley

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Pesky Splinter posted:

And my mate's dad is called Michael Hunt.

I also know a dad called Micheal Hunt. Terrible naming decisions are a thing, I meant the little story myths where there's a parent making a bad choice for some outrageous reason (like "after the brand of pregnancy test") and a 'sensible' third party there to make a face.

tl;dr

Failed Imagineer posted:

it's racism, op

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I promise I won't be flooding the thread with go live notifications for twitch, but just as an FYI the podcast twitch is currently on on Fridays from 7 for Disco Elysium, and Sundays from half 2 for some chilled out Minecraft, and that means I'm live now if anyone wants to chill out with comrades.

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1256940144126558208?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

it's racism, op
It seems to be more classism in the UK. The Orangejello and Lemonjello poo poo is more explicitly racist, but also something I've not seen as much of in the UK compared to other places. The UK racist equivalents are more like complaining that the number 1 boys name is Mohammed, followed by Saddam and Osama it's Oliver, George, and Harry, whereas the more direct UK version (i.e. mocking the ignorance of the parents rather than quaking in fear at the Jihad babies) seems to be 'chavvy' names.

There's some racism in there in that the names considered 'chavvy' often have some degree of overlap with anglicized Irish names, but it's different in character to the urban legend 'black' names poo poo.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Has anyone here played 'Not For Broadcast'? It's in early release, you play the vision mixer for the nightly UK news as Lefty Farage's party has just won an election and plans to destroy the 1%. It is very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vxZNj0C7fQ
https://youtu.be/5vxZNj0C7fQ

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

There's some racism in there in that the names considered 'chavvy' often have some degree of overlap with anglicized Irish names, but it's different in character to the urban legend 'black' names poo poo.

drat, the anglicisation of my Irish name seems to be high on the lists of "chavvy" names, TIL

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jippa posted:

A guy I used to work would describe events that happened in viral videos as if they either happened to him or someone he knew.

He just has too much empathy. The mirror neurons in his brain give him a sort of disco ball effect when he makes eye contact. He can't help but repost memes saying 'it me' because he actually believes it is him.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BisonDollah posted:

Has anyone here played 'Not For Broadcast'? It's in early release, you play the vision mixer for the nightly UK news as Lefty Farage's party has just won an election and plans to destroy the 1%. It is very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vxZNj0C7fQ
https://youtu.be/5vxZNj0C7fQ

Yeah I've got it, only played the two broadcasts so far and I'm a little worried that it's gonna be going radical centrist on me and helping the pissed-up bloke talking about taking all the rich people's money will somehow be the "wrong" choice.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Comrade Fakename posted:

Maybe you could just consider it a form of child abuse? If you genuinely burden your child with the name Superhitler or something you probably should have that child taken away from you.

Remember these guys? https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/18/uk-couple-who-named-baby-after-hitler-jailed-for-terror-group-membership

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Liz Truss's twitter follows are unsurprisingly poo poo:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

FairyNuff posted:

Liz Truss's twitter follows are unsurprisingly poo poo:

this loving sucks

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
It does. But at least she's a tory, so she's their problem not ours. I mean yes, she's in power, so she's also our problem but at least the shitness isn't coming from inside the house.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Isomermaid posted:

It does. But at least she's a tory, so she's their problem not ours. I mean yes, she's in power, so she's also our problem but at least the shitness isn't coming from inside the house.

I guess I'm lucky that I'm old enough to make a decision but her views are tantamount to forcing young transpeople into the closet, at least that is what will functionally happen as a result.

I mean, people are going to kill themselves over this, they already did before, but it's going to be worse now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So are we as a society going to start talking about the 9-5 grind any time soon? Because right now I'm defaulting to a roughly 1-9am/2-10am sleep pattern and I feel loving amazing. I'm getting really productive around 5pm to 10pm.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Ash Crimson posted:

I guess I'm lucky that I'm old enough to make a decision but her views are tantamount to forcing young transpeople into the closet, at least that is what will functionally happen as a result.

I mean, people are going to kill themselves over this, they already did before, but it's going to be worse now.

Yep, it loving sucks.

Everyone remember to keep supporting charities that work with trans kids and their parents eg Mermaids

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jedit posted:

My brother knew a Richard Head.

I knew a Richard Butt (went to school with him) and last I knew he was engaged to a girl called Frances who went by "Fanny".

My brother knew a Wayne and Joe King... which I have had corroborated by somebody else he went to school with. Apparently they were Wayne and Joe something else but then his Mum got remarried to a Mr. King and they all changed their names.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Had A GIRLFRIEND in school called jo king, her brother was called nick too

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So are we as a society going to start talking about the 9-5 grind any time soon? Because right now I'm defaulting to a roughly 1-9am/2-10am sleep pattern and I feel loving amazing. I'm getting really productive around 5pm to 10pm.

There's going to be a long way to go with that, culturally. I will always remember working nights for over a year when I lived in Edinburgh city centre. It was a loving nightmare for many reasons but something that really pissed me off was sometimes after work while I was winding down in the morning I'd nip out to the shop in my trackies or whatever for some beer or wine and I would always get glares and sometimes even tut-tuts from people who apparently assumed I was a jobless day-drinker :nono:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

crispix posted:

There's going to be a long way to go with that, culturally. I will always remember working nights for over a year when I lived in Edinburgh city centre. It was a loving nightmare for many reasons but something that really pissed me off was sometimes after work while I was winding down in the morning I'd nip out to the shop in my trackies or whatever for some beer or wine and I would always get glares and sometimes even tut-tuts from people who apparently assumed I was a jobless day-drinker :nono:

one of the highlights from working night shift at Domino's was going to the local Spoons at 8am and ordering a pint to go with a full English

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Your body is going to be hosed when you go back to work.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
It seems very likely that the result of the GRA consultation will eventually be announced to be to improve access to care during the recognition period and will probably stop there. It is reasonably clear that businesses, statutory bodies, and NGOs are all confused on their existing obligations under the Equality Act so there will probably be tweaks to hammer those out too, maybe introduce some procedural body to write guidelines.

The political momentum has stalled, most visibly in Scotland where a single party with a comfortable majority and an electoral mandate to push it through since 2016 cannot get it done even after a lengthy consultation process. The CON reading of the atmosphere in GE2019 was to simply decline to mention it altogether (which also shows that they suspected they could not make headway by attacking LAB's cake-and-eat-it position, notably). Likewise LDEM and GRN embracing a much more enthusiastic self-declaration position in 2019 failed to attract activist defectors from LAB or SNP over it. The brutal reading, probably correctly so, is that influential trans activists are actually quite willing to compromise expansive self-declaration for other objectives and can therefore be relied on to keep doing so. If one doesn't care enough about a supposed single issue to punish one's party for it, certainly nobody else is going to do the caring on one's behalf.

At one point the establishment "the train of history is here, we can't stop it, so we may as well get on it" sense was very strong, especially amongst 2020 Group Tories - all of this has fallen apart. There's still a huge age swing in the polling over self-declaration though, so probably the new stasis is just kicking the can down the road for a few more years.

(then again, we said/say that about Brexit too)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dell_Zincht posted:

Your body is going to be hosed when you go back to work.

Yes, that's my point. I am going to be hosed by a lovely schedule that there's no particular reason I need to adhere to because no amount of effort has ever made me able to wake up before 8am at the absolute earliest without it taking a toll on my mind and body.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
David icke got banned from youtube.

https://twitter.com/LondonRealTV/status/1256945730675146752

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

The number of tests has gone back down, but the target was for the end of April, not the start of May, suckers!

The government's own chart shows the number of tests back down to 76000

Hallucinogenic Toreador fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 3, 2020