Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Chris Knight posted:

GT Air 2 dropped the d Rings, that's what they meant.

Yep, that’s right. The GT-Air is a perfect fit, though some of the Arais come close. I’ll try an RF-1200 when we’re all comfortable trying on helmets again, though I don’t really need a replacement yet.

I’ve been using d-rings for 30 years but maybe I should just suck it up and switch I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

My stupid fingers have temporarily forgotten how D-rings work frequently enough that I'd welcome any alternative, especially if it's slimmer and doesn't interfere with a collar opened to summer spec

(oh my god it was 88 degrees today, how am I going to make it through the next four months :texas:)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've only ever had ratchet strap helmets, DD straps seem impossibly fiddly to me, at least with gloves on.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
You put your helmet on before your gloves.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

moxieman posted:

You put your helmet on before your gloves.

Or you do what I do at least 75% of the time: Helmet on, gloves on, realize I forgot the chin strap, gloves off. You'd think I'd learn eventually, but so far, nope.

Speaking of the rf-1200, how effective is the chin vent? My current helmet is a low-end scorpion and I like everything about it except how stuffy it feels with the visor closed. I usually ride with it open instead, but I'm nervous about rocks or bugs hitting me in the eyes. It's about time to replace it anyways, so I want to get a replacement with better face ventilation. I kinda like the chin vents on the icon airflite, but I'm a bit sour on the brand (QC issues on every helmet I've bought from them before) and want something a little nicer. Maybe a dualsport/adventure helmet?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

Or you do what I do at least 75% of the time: Helmet on, gloves on, realize I forgot the chin strap, gloves off. You'd think I'd learn eventually, but so far, nope.

Speaking of the rf-1200, how effective is the chin vent? My current helmet is a low-end scorpion and I like everything about it except how stuffy it feels with the visor closed. I usually ride with it open instead, but I'm nervous about rocks or bugs hitting me in the eyes. It's about time to replace it anyways, so I want to get a replacement with better face ventilation. I kinda like the chin vents on the icon airflite, but I'm a bit sour on the brand (QC issues on every helmet I've bought from them before) and want something a little nicer. Maybe a dualsport/adventure helmet?

I can't use the chin vent on my rf1200 because it dries my contacts into opaque husks, take that as you will.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Was out for a few hours with my CL-17 and I dunno, maybe it’s all the talk about the RF-1200 but it really felt like the ventilation was substandard today. I was fogging up the lens and the lack of a visor-crack lever was annoying. You can crack the visor manually a little but there doesn’t seem to be any kind of way to keep it open — just the force from accelerating snaps it shut again.

I’ll honk around with the CL-17 and maybe order an RS-1200 size S next paycheck. Heck, I’ve saved enough money not commuting to work daily that I can probably swing it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can't remember the last time I cracked open the visor, if you have a decent helmet with a pinlock you basically never need to.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It felt nice to crack it for really low speeds just a mm or two but I guess that speaks more to the lack of cooling in the CL-17 than the need to open the helmet.

E: Also sorry, I meant I was fogging up the lower section below the pinlock insert. My visibility wasn’t hampered at all, I was just a little steamy.

Just measured my noggin and I’m a 57 which is lowest rung of Medium, and Small ends at 56. I’m currently running a small HJC (whose small also ends at 56 and med starts at 57). Wonder whether I should try for small Shoei or medium. My gut feeling is that I should try the small as the pads will only expand with wear and will get more comfortable, if not already comfortable initially, rather than floppier and more ill-fitting on the medium.

Either way, it looks like Fortnine has a generous return policy so I’ll probably pick up the small next Friday and wear it around the house for a weekend.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
No one else does their chin strap after their gloves? Ok not winter gloves, but summer?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Gloves always go on last as I invariably forget to fasten the chin strap, leave my key in my pocket, etc. etc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gloves go on last because OOPS I forgot to launch Waze and for some reason my iPhone is reverting to portrait mode AGAIN :argh:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Dainese Stokeville jeans and textile jacket arrived today. The jeans look great though are possibly an inch bigger in the waist than I'd like for normal jeans.. Though I guess will probably be better when on the bike. Either way I like them. I got the hip armour pads as well which seem really puny but as a result don't make me look curvy.

The jacket is a Racing D-Dry and fits well. Same size as my leather jacket from 2003. Confusingly there is a double pocket for the back protector depending on what size you get, and absent any instructions it was hard to tell what was going wrong.

E: chin strap last

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 4, 2020

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

The GT air is not even close to the same internal shape as the RF-1200. It's pretty close to a long oval.

I'm cursed with a long oval head and the only helmets I've ever found that actually fit right are Arais.
So are you saying the GT Air is more round or more oval than the RF-1200?

My RF-1100 is old and I'd like something a little more oval than this is, which is already pretty oval afaik.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Fifty Three posted:

So are you saying the GT Air is more round or more oval than the RF-1200?

My RF-1100 is old and I'd like something a little more oval than this is, which is already pretty oval afaik.

It's more oval. I had an RF-1100 too; the GT Air is pretty similar in the fit department, maybe a little more room in the forehead.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anybody ride with TCX Street Ace Air boots and can say how much air they actually move? I have the standard waterproof leather version and I love the fit but we’re getting into summer here in the Carolinas and I’m working on a dedicated summer setup.

I got a mesh jacket the other day to replace my textile one for the season and it makes a huge difference. Looking to do the same for boots and maybe even pants.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Any thoughts on Schuberth's R2 Basic vs Shoei's RF-1200? Both have a closeout at motorcyclegear.com ($179 and $379 respectively).

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

It's more oval. I had an RF-1100 too; the GT Air is pretty similar in the fit department, maybe a little more room in the forehead.
Good to know, thanks!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Any thoughts on Schuberth's R2 Basic vs Shoei's RF-1200? Both have a closeout at motorcyclegear.com ($179 and $379 respectively).

I don't have any experience with either, but the shoei seems universally loved and might be my next one. I assume you mean this version? The other versions don't show as on closeout to me.

Speaking of the rf1200 vs competition, I'm kinda leaning towards the AGV K-5, this one is on sale at about the same price point as the closeout shoei. Has anyone had any experience in one?

e: vvv fair enough, thank you.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 7, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

I don't have any experience with either, but the shoei seems universally loved and might be my next one. I assume you mean this version? The other versions don't show as on closeout to me.

Speaking of the rf1200 vs competition, I'm kinda leaning towards the AGV K-5, this one is on sale at about the same price point as the closeout shoei. Has anyone had any experience in one?

My mate has a k5, I have an rf1200, missus has a k3. No agv I've seen, not even the fancy thousand dollar Rossi bullshit kind, is anywhere near as well built as a shoei. Neither is my fancy carbon fiber suomy. It is exactly, exactly like comparing an Aprilia to a Honda.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I have a GT Air 2 for everyday and a VFX W for off-road/adv and frankly I wouldn't even consider not wearing a Shoei from now on

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I did a bunch of googling and a lot of people like the quick release straps. I'll give it a go with my next helmet. :shobon:

The last time I looked at quick release straps one of the problems was that I can't lock it to my bike, have they solved that by adding any kind of lockable loop to the strap?

EDIT: I mean for integrated OEM helmet locks like this:

Ulf fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 7, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Return policy at Fortnine is good so heck with it, picked up an RF-1200 in small. I’m technically at the lower limit of medium, but like I said — return policy is great. I’ll wear it around the house for a few days and see how I feel about small. Excited to see whether the road noise difference will be anything to write home about. Not expecting any “don’t need earplugs” miracles but any extra bit should help.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ulf posted:

I did a bunch of googling and a lot of people like the quick release straps. I'll give it a go with my next helmet. :shobon:

The last time I looked at quick release straps one of the problems was that I can't lock it to my bike, have they solved that by adding any kind of lockable loop to the strap?

I felt hella dumb when I finally figured it out after nearly 6 years of ratchet strap helmet ownership (ie last month), but the ratchet tab itself is too big to be forced through the hole of a helmet lock. You don't need a loop, just lay one side of the chinstrap through the lock and then shut the lock, your helmet then can't be removed.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

That wouldn't work for my bike, it's just a hook underneath the seat. :(

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Ulf posted:

nolan makes one for their helmets. looks like a metal T with a hole in the end of it. you slide it through the mechanism on the helmet, then put a lock through the hole + your bike

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Anyone else have problems with the seams on the inside of gloves really digging into their hands? I can't seem to find gloves where that isn't an issue at all... One pair I tried is a lot better, but still not perfect.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

SEKCobra posted:

Anyone else have problems with the seams on the inside of gloves really digging into their hands? I can't seem to find gloves where that isn't an issue at all... One pair I tried is a lot better, but still not perfect.

My Alpinestars leather gloves have the seams on the outside which prevents this. GP-Plus, they are really nice in general.

https://www.alpinestars.com/gp-plus-r-leather-glove-fa18

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

My pair of these beauties arrived today

Daytona touring star GTX

Have to say these are the finest boots my feet ever touched.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Combat Theory posted:

My pair of these beauties arrived today

Daytona touring star GTX

Have to say these are the finest boots my feet ever touched.

These look good! I tried to google them, but everything came up “Daytona road star GTX”- different boot?

I have a problem with my combat boots where the leather upper is creased at the top of the heel/ ankle flex, and it causes a blistering hotspot that I can’t seem to fix. I was going to take them to a show hospital, but before I do, does anybody have any advice?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

The touring star is the road star in an edition made for the biking gear company Louis. Same boot just with a different Daytona logo.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My D-Air airbag jacket finally arrived after a lap round Europe with FedEx. I love it.

I had some Daytona boots years ago that had a solid plastic inner boot. Felt like they had good protection but the inner boot eventually cracked and broke at the ankle from walking around.

e: sorry no I can't come out right now I'm updating the firmware of my jacket

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 14, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Whaaaaaat does that do?

My TCX Air boots came in, and today is going to be in the 80s, time to try them out!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
The software's detection of an off is based on real captures of actual crashes of riders wearing accelerometers, something that takes a while to gather (they're not intentionally crashing). I'm guessing that's updating to the latest detection models.

Has anyone shortened Dainese Airbag -> DAirbag -> D'bag yet, if not I would like to file my trademark claim. (nice jacket, I'm jealous)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I mean they already call their outlets "D Store" so yeah probably

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I hate crap breathing waterproof liners. Latest one to get a fail mark from me is Knox's knox-seal. Sure it's waterproof all right, but can't breathe for crap so the glove turns cold after a while from just normal hand sweat in active riding. You should not have to run your heated grips at 100% in 55f/13c dry weather wearing a thick winter glove. No go running it on lower effect too :(
A real shame, the rest of the Knox zero3 glove is top notch. I wish Knox would spend the drat money on a Goretex liner.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 14, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
If it's not GoreTex, eVent, or NeoShell, it won't breathe for poo poo and may not actually be waterproof. GoreTex is the only one of those I've actually seen in motorcycle gear except some eVent stuff made by the Mosko Moto guys. Pretty sure NeoShell isn't available as a membrane only; it's only sold as a shell fabric so you'll never see it in motorcycle applications. Too bad too, because it breathes ridiculously well.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

yeah I love my mosko deluge gear. riding in the unreal rain the south gets (yes even compared to the PNW) is nbd in it. eVent is fantastic and works just as well as my old canadian made arc'teryx stuff did

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Went on a long 80 degree ride with my mesh jacket and new boots. It’s such a noticeable difference when air is hitting your socks. I’m now roughly 0% waterproof but my comfort has gone up several letter grades when it’s hot out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Rolo posted:

Went on a long 80 degree ride with my mesh jacket and new boots. It’s such a noticeable difference when air is hitting your socks. I’m now roughly 0% waterproof but my comfort has gone up several letter grades when it’s hot out.

same! I finally got to use my revit summer gear today and it was lovely