Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Scourge is possibly a bigger non-entity than that dumb thing those tanky blasters who I forget the name of constantly get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Sentinels. I got Rainbow Fite up to the 30s and I still don't know what that thing does.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Being bad at both niches it tries to fill I guess. They should have just made it a reverse dominator

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Sentinel is clunky, yeah. I've got an ice/ice Sentinel and she's...alright? It's frustrating that you have to watch your opportunity bar so closely, because I usually only want the Defensive opportunity for the heal and endurance refund on attack, so I don't want to just be mashing out my attacks, and if you fire off a shot while the second is still 'in the air' you can sometimes accidentally drop the opportunity you didn't want to use. Plus, in a team, you want to put the opportunity on a hefty target so the -res has a chance to work its magic, but if you're just doing your attack cycles without thinking you'll put the target on a mostly-dead minion and waste the ability.

I basically wish that it worked like Domination and gave you its own dedicated button to give you more control over when the ability activated.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Isn't corrupter just a better defender in almost every situation though rather than the other way around? In vanishingly few situations do the defender support values vs the corrupter support values determine a win or a loss, while more damage is virtually always useful, and defenders only outdamage corrupters with like sonic blast because of the boost to the -res component, and mainly only then if stacked with a -res source from the primary.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I think Defender is the only class I never want to play again, because Corruptor would always be more fun to me. It's true that Corr doesn't quite have the same level of unparalleled violence as Blaster, though. Scourge is a win-more mechanic but I like it on DoTs

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Nonexistence posted:

Isn't corrupter just a better defender in almost every situation though rather than the other way around? In vanishingly few situations do the defender support values vs the corrupter support values determine a win or a loss, while more damage is virtually always useful, and defenders only outdamage corrupters with like sonic blast because of the boost to the -res component, and mainly only then if stacked with a -res source from the primary.

somewhat counter-intuitively, Defenders are better for Offensive support sets, and Corruptors are better for Defensive support sets. (assuming a large team, corruptors are amost always better than defenders in like, duos or whatever)

The extra defense rarely matters, so a Coruptor's extra damage matters a lot more there. However, extra offenses rarely go to waste, so the extra values that a Defender brings are going to outvalue the Corruptor's higher personal damage (most of the time, there's weird edge scenarios like Kinetics).

Also any support that's super click heavy is going to be better on a Defender because then the reason you're bringing a corruptor (extra damage!) is kinda moot.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crasical posted:

Dominators actually make sense to me. Controller primary, damage secondary: You tie people up and whip them. In practice, maybe it doesn't work so well because you'll miss or an enemy will break free and dominators are made of tissue paper; or you find an enemy that you can't easily mez and they feed you your own rear end.

Still, the whole thrust of the class makes sense to me.

Yeah, the only thing I don't like about Dominators is Domination itself. The whole meta ends up warped around getting perma-Dom which is boring but ultimately the predictable outcome when they put a long cooldown key class ability into a game where everyone is already obsessed with maxing out their recharge.

I think the big problem for me is that outside of just having it running all the time, Domination doesn't fit the pace of the game anymore. I always end up feeling like I'm using it at the wrong time. Either I need to pop it early game to get endurance back ASAP and the mez component goes to waste, or I pop it for a specific encounter and then it lasts another 30+ seconds as I pick off minions. There are instances where it shines and you can get stuck in with a big mob and sit there keeping everything on lockdown and it feels great, but those are far and few between in my experience.

Mind you, it's infinitely better than the really bad old days when Domination controlled both mez power AND damage potential. (Plus Homecoming's clean up of the Assault sets is much appreciated.) But unsurprisingly removing the damage buff component then weakened the entire point of giving the class a conditional super mode in the first place. Oh, and the whole double whammy of filling the bar and also waiting for the power itself to recharge feels so clunky and bad. I can't tell if it was a misguided attempt at clamping down on perma-Dom shenanigans or just bad design.

Oddly enough a Sentinel-style design might've worked better. Attacking fills up a meter, when the meter's full your next mez power gets a big boost. Repeat. High recharge builds could still build the bar more quickly and boost long-cooldown CC powers more frequently. And it largely avoids the Sentinel problem since it wouldn't be interacting with your core attack chain.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 3, 2020

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
The only dominator I'm playing at the moment is Earth Dom, and apparently most of my nice patches don't inherit Domination so I'm not sure if I actually want to build for perma-dom, BUT being able to drop my nice patches more often is clearly good so I -still- wanna chase Recharge boosts.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My only problem with Psi is the sound effects.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Nonexistence posted:

Isn't corrupter just a better defender in almost every situation though rather than the other way around?

-The damage difference between corrupter and defender is also small.
-Boosting minor damage is still a minor damage boost. The boost you can give to your teammates is worth more than your own.
-If the argument runs off the assumption that defense buffs & heals are moot on late game on full teams and only damage matters, the choice between corrupter and defender doesn't matter because why wouldn't you bring a blaster?

But kinda the more important point here...

-You're only one person, one character. You have to choose what to build for, and what actions to take from moment to moment. If you're a defender, you can pick powers and bonuses to maximize your buffs, and focus on them. If you're a blaster, you can focus on taking attacks and maximizing your damage, and focus on the enemies. If you're a corrupter, you're having to divide your efforts, so at any time you're either being a weaker defender or a weaker blaster. That versatility really doesn't mean very much in this game; there just aren't a lot of situations where it makes sense to split these roles rather than focus on one.

Sidenote, everyone I've seen defending corrupters always say the same thing - kin, kin, kin. Kinetics and specifically Fulcrum Shift are really powerful, sure. But it's overpowered across all ATs that get it. Saying corrupters are just fine because the one specific set that's OP is perfectly playable kinda proves the point when that's the only powerset that works, and it's still more effective on a controller, mastermind, or defender. I know I'm the one bringing up kin specifically but when people start referring to defender set damage boosts I assume that's mostly what they're referencing.

I guess the only reason I'm still going on about this is because I really feel corrupters need a buff across the board (and possibly kin needs a nerf). What I like personally is taking that kheldian passive that boosts what your team needs based on team makup; if you're short on DPS, corrupter should get more damage, if you need support, corrupter should get stronger buffs. That would lean into the whole versatility concept but not leave them just a gimped version of either/or.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
I personally find Kinetics to be grossly underpowered on Masterminds since they go from being a two-trick pony to a (sad, boring and small) one-trick with only Fulcrum Shift working on their minions. You can technically try and use your other powers to boost them up, but I honestly I have no idea what the point of proliferating that set to MM was supposed to do besides make people want to play MMs even less by accidentally picking it.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

I think you may be overcooking this a little, but the boon of corrupter versatility is that you're not overpaying by spending too much time on defensive buffs past the point they are materially helping the team. I do agree with the previous poster's point on offensive buffs though for sets where that's relevant.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Kinetic powers doesnt work on MM pets?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I would also like to see corrupters improved, especially beam rifle and force field.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Ineptitude posted:

Kinetic powers doesnt work on MM pets?

They recently added Kinetics to MMs, so I'm gonna assume that they do work there.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

They do work on MMs, but Speed Boost does absolutely nothing besides giving them movement speed. That means all you have is Fulcrum Shift to bolster your bets, which you don't get until 38 so in turn you'll get your rear end beat by anything you engage for the first 37 levels assuming you don't powerlevel. Getting mileage out of the heal for Kinetics needs a level of micro vs. ranged enemies that I would not wish upon anyone.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

DangerDan posted:

They do work on MMs, but Speed Boost does absolutely nothing besides giving them movement speed. That means all you have is Fulcrum Shift to bolster your bets, which you don't get until 38 so in turn you'll get your rear end beat by anything you engage for the first 37 levels assuming you don't powerlevel. Getting mileage out of the heal for Kinetics needs a level of micro vs. ranged enemies that I would not wish upon anyone.

That does sound pretty useless; but I saw someone mention the Thunderspy server recently, where I guess there are some changes to MMs intended to lean into the 'expendable pets resummoned constantly' playstyle, like the upgrades being passives that are just automatically applied. A secondary where you basically just buff your own recharge and team damage but have no defenses at all might conceivably work there? I play mostly MMs and now kinda want to try it. It is a long wait to 38 though.

Edit: Oh god, I found the Thunderspy site and of course they're saying to download "Sweet Tea" or "Cream Soda". I added them in Tequila because that's the original instructions I followed, the manifest appears to work but it's pushing Cream Soda with "Nobody should control or gatekeep City of Heroes. This is a free and unbiased launcher, with no community affiliation whatsoever."

I couldn't give less of a drat about whatever community wars are going on here, does anyone here know if there's some real genuine compelling reason I shouldn't just keep using Tequila so long as it works?

Also, turns out Kinetics is not proliferated to Masterminds there.

vv Tequila/Sweet Tea/Cream Soda are the launchers. Homecoming is where the players are; you can use any launcher to access Homecoming. (Well, as far as I know.)

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 4, 2020

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Are there any high-resolution asset replacements out there for this, to pair up with reshade?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Tequila is the only one with players if you care even an iota about that

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Ali Aces posted:

I couldn't give less of a drat about whatever community wars are going on here, does anyone here know if there's some real genuine compelling reason I shouldn't just keep using Tequila so long as it works?

Also, turns out Kinetics is not proliferated to Masterminds there.

vv Tequila/Sweet Tea/Cream Soda are the launchers. Homecoming is where the players are; you can use any launcher to access Homecoming. (Well, as far as I know.)

no.

any potential bad actor with direct access to change a manifest you have loaded could nuke your PC regardless of which launcher you use.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ali Aces posted:

I guess the only reason I'm still going on about this is because I really feel corrupters need a buff across the board (and possibly kin needs a nerf).

I've said it before but Kinetics deserves both a total rework (launch-era grab-bag of random power ideas and redundancies) and Fulcrum Shift deserves to be nerfed into the loving ground (should have somewhere in the ballpark of 6x the cooldown, like its closest equivalent Heat Loss, especially since the set can self-buff its recharge). But it'll never happen because all of the farm babies would lose their poo poo.

DangerDan posted:

I personally find Kinetics to be grossly underpowered on Masterminds since they go from being a two-trick pony to a (sad, boring and small) one-trick with only Fulcrum Shift working on their minions. You can technically try and use your other powers to boost them up, but I honestly I have no idea what the point of proliferating that set to MM was supposed to do besides make people want to play MMs even less by accidentally picking it.

While I don't disagree with your overall point, Kin has Siphon Power early on so your pets will have a consistent damage boost from that. Increase Density also works, though to dubious benefit and it still has the knockback protection only applied to a single target. There's also sets like Demons and Ninjas where a "melee" heal is just dandy (and corresponding +end isn't necessarily irrelevant either) and even with ranged henchmen no longer running in to brawl every five seconds melee enemies will inevitably come to them.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 4, 2020

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Ali Aces posted:

When you connect to any server using any launcher, the launcher downloads files to your box and runs those files. Therefore, if the host is malicious or compromised, you're hosed no matter which launcher you're using. Therefore, I'm going to stick to the launcher I know is OK, not the one that was totally not written by a channer, honest, pinky swear.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Ali Aces posted:

no, their whole shtick is baselessly treating homecoming like boogeymen because they want nothing to do with the "free speech" server.

"free speech" is code for "if you're a racist or transphobe or some other variation of a piece of poo poo, you're welcome here." :ssh:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Abroham Lincoln posted:

no, their whole shtick is baselessly treating homecoming like boogeymen because they want nothing to do with the "free speech" server.

"free speech" is code for "if you're a racist or transphobe or some other variation of a piece of poo poo, you're welcome here." :ssh:

it wouldn't be city of heroes without a fifth column

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ali Aces posted:

Unfortunately it's pretty much all down to community wars. Thunderspy is functionally a 4chan server and it (along with the Rebirth server) has a lot of people who have vendettas against Homecoming for various reasons. That pretty much suffuses a lot of what they do.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I'm realizing that I made a Dark/Dark Defender and a Water/Poison Corruptor and that's probably *backwards*, based on this thread's advice. Dammit.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crasical posted:

I'm realizing that I made a Dark/Dark Defender and a Water/Poison Corruptor and that's probably *backwards*, based on this thread's advice. Dammit.

It's not that big of a deal and Dark Miasma is amazing on anything.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

Yeah part of my huge shittalking of Kinetics MM is a friend I introduced to the game did Beasts/Kinetics to start because that sounded really funny to him (superspeed dogs mauling people!!!) and in practice his minions just died all the time to basically anything on larger groups and he wound up rerolling to Demons/Something Not Kinetics.

I'd also be all for Fulcrum Shift having an actual cooldown and other parts of its kit having a purpose (Siphon Power being obsoleted by its own powerset is pretty lol, Siphon Speed is mediocre since Kinetics has 0 actual cooldowns to begin with) but when Homecoming tried to give Dark Melee an actual AOE power to replace one of its many MANY dogshit garbage launch-era clunkers, people got mad and said it was overpowered so they reverted it entirely. Narrator voice: it wasn't.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

DangerDan posted:

Yeah part of my huge shittalking of Kinetics MM is a friend I introduced to the game did Beasts/Kinetics to start because that sounded really funny to him (superspeed dogs mauling people!!!) and in practice his minions just died all the time to basically anything on larger groups and he wound up rerolling to Demons/Something Not Kinetics.

Beast/Kin is kinda interesting; Beast have the highest DPS on paper, but it's all melee, so there's some downtime as the doggies run from one target to the next. But if you give them Speed Boost, they zip along at ward speed.

Personally find Kin effective but boring. Siphon Power and Fulcrum shift over and over all day long.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DangerDan posted:

I mean, I'd chalk that up to Beast Summoning being subpar more than Kinetics being stinky. Frankly all of the melee-centric MM sets aside from Demons could use another look, if only to cut down on how obnoxiously easy it is for the minions to take one bad attack and evaporate. I guess Necro isn't so bad, I feel like that set has slightly different issues. Ninjas and Beasts though...ugh.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 5, 2020

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

I mean, I'd chalk that up to Beast Summoning being subpar more than Kinetics being stinky. Frankly all of the melee-centric MM sets aside from Demons could use another look, if only to cut down on how obnoxiously easy it is for the minions to take one bad attack and evaporate. I guess Necro isn't so bad, I feel like that set has slightly different issues. Ninjas and Beasts though...ugh.

And also dire wolf is loving stupid, you should get a bear or an alligator or something

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Beast mastery sucks because the pets never shut up.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

ded posted:

Beast mastery sucks because the pets never shut up.

How did you mix up the only good part of beast mastery with the bad parts????

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

IIRC Necro has something similar to the Assault Bot from Robotics where if you give the Grave Knights one of their upgrades, they start dealing less damage because they begin using a skill that sucks a lot of poo poo or something. One of my friends is a True MM Murderhead and kvetches endlessly to me about their shortcomings, and that was one of them for Necro. They're still better than Mercs who are just bad at everything though!

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Since we're talking about Beast Mastery - and I love fighting with wolves at my side, I don't care what you say - I might as well post this build. I stopped trying to make uber builds after the Widow who wrecks everything, and mostly have gimmick characters with cheap builds to support a specific playstyle; but this guy, after getting Clarion anyway, is actually surprisingly effective and very fun. He's Beast/Nature with full fighting pool.

Pets on def/follow, fire off aoe buffs, leap in and start punching and kicking things. Corrosive & Spore Cloud on heavy targets. Mostly just let the pets do their thing. If you have Entangling Aura on, manually target held enemies as their numbers whittle. Overgrowth could easily be made perma with purples, but I wanted to keep this build relatively cheap. Hasten is 3-slotted because Nature really loves recharge. Defenses are divided between def & res because Nature doesn't add much to either, but it still works out fairly well combined with its absorb, regen, and bodyguard. Near-perma Overgrowth makes end basically a non-issue, so toggle it up.

Nature is really good on a mastermind, IMO, if only because of Wild Bastion - an AoE buff that puts absorption barriers on you and your pets. Pretty great with bodyguard. Clarion is obligatory though.

Crazy Wolf Man: Level 50 Natural Mastermind

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 5, 2020

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Crasical posted:

please keep in mind it's like, +- 20% of both a damage and a support differential between corrupter and defender. outside of like, GMs and AVs where corruptors get to flex a fair bit more because the drat thing actually lives long enough for scourge to matter, then they get a fair bit bigger than that. plus solo but at that point defenders get vigilance too so it's a wash.
just to put it in perspective:
corr damage scale: .75
corr defense debuff scale: .1
defender damage scale: .65
defender defense debuff scale: .125
outside of super min maxing it doesn't make a very big difference.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I like corruptors for pugging because you get the force-multiplier effect of using a Defense set but you also get reasonable ranged DPS. I also enjoy blasters, though, I just really hate playing a Defender outright

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I’m sad because I want to start playing again but I’m stuck in bin.pigg and error downloading manifest update hell so I will die instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Do I have to build a blaster to farm if I want to do end game content? I'm interested in the heavy CC builds more and I don't want ot be screwed if I jinvest in that.

Also is there a melee CC archetype?