Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Kchama posted:

HONOR OF THE QUEEN CHAPTER ELEVEN

Sorry for the hiatus, but let's have ourselves a stupid Honorverse chapter!

Actually, no. Let's not. This chapter is literally just one of those chapters where he beats on a strawman for the entire period of time. There's nothing really to talk about beyond a few paragraphs.

Okay hold on. So if Masada, which sucks compared to Grayson in every way, can build quite a bigger fleet of warships, then... why haven't Grayson gone the same route? The real reason they seem to be behind is that most of their fleet is of largely worthless LACs, despite the fact that they can obviously can afford better. The idea that the only reason you'd want anything bigger than a LAC is to invade someone is awfully weird from Manticore. LACs don't really seem good at actual defense from an invasion because any ship that could go to another system and invade them... could, as stated, gently caress up an equal tonnage of LACs anyways.

Also Houseman is probably not wrong about Masada probably crashing their economy if they just spent 80% of their GSP on a single ship, but of course economics has nothing to do with war at all. Also it's really baffling that Houseman doesn't know anything about Masada's economy considering economics is suppose to be his wheel-house. Why does Weber do this?

But yeah beyond this paragraph, there's literally nothing of value in all of this, because it's just 'Houseman is dumb and wrong and STINKS TOO, PEE YEWWWW!"

In addition to the entirely correct point about Grayson having to dump a huge part of their money into simple survival where Masada does not, you seem to have missed the fact that Masada didn't actually pay anything at all for Thunder of God or Principality. The transfer of the ships from the People's Navy to Masada was an outright gift to give the PRH plausible deniability in their operations. Historical analogies would be the swarms of advanced fighters piloted by Russian "volunteers" that fought for North Korea during the Korean War, or the "domestic militias" that found lots of modern Russian munitions during the 2008 invasion of Ukraine.

The notion that strong trading bonds can prevent war is a common one. One of the reasons Stalin was so willing to dismiss the warning signs of BARBAROSSA was that the Soviet Union was shipping a lot of goods to Germany at the time, and he didn't think that Hitler would be stupid enough to throw that away. Houseman is making a very common error - since he isn't part of either branch of the Church Of Humanity Unchained, the theological (and thus ideological) elements of their conflict are not real to him, and thus he expects that Simple Common Sense will convince them as soon as the Great White Savior explains it to them properly.

EDIT because I hit post instead of preview.

As for the LAC/Starship discussion, the point is that you cannot project power with a LAC, because it has no way to travel between star systems. They are ONLY useful as defensive weapons, so any nation that focuses on them isn't planning to operate in somebody else's star system. A nation that focuses on hyper-capable starships is one that plans to be away from home.

The fact that Grayson and Masada are far, far behind the PRH and Manticore in tech makes a big difference here as well. The great powers have decided that LACs are too weak to fight because of technology advances that make them that way. The cruder Grayson/Masada tech level has a different balance.

Gnoman fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Libluini posted:

I can actually explain that, because I've re-read the first Honor Harrington books more than once!

First, it's the implication that the Masadans can build a bigger fleet because they're crazy enough to put a bigger amount of GDP into their military. Grayson can't compete with that because they're not only less crazy, they also have to support their population: Don't forget that Masada is actually a lot more habitable then Grayson, which is so toxic the original colonists only survived because of heavy genetic manipulation -and even then they only managed a somewhat stable civilization by putting as much of their food production into orbit, with artificial habitats keeping everything food-related safely away from the toxic ground of the planet.

I imagine the cost to support this giant civilian infrastructure effort must be horrendous, while Masada can just put all of that effort into more warships.

And LACs are good for defense mainly because they're cheap as gently caress compared to real starships. They're also tend to carry more weapons than a comparable FTL-ship could carry, since the designers know that a LAC won't live long anyway, so they're crammed to the brim with weapons. They're supposed to shoot a couple times, then die. Hopefully they hit some expensive starships on their way out!

I don't disagree with the whole 'they're cheap guns' thing, that's fair, but..

The thing is that the idea that they're suppose to be cheap system defense guns with more firepower than a light FTL ship doesn't actually match the data, as destroyers, just about the smallest warship used by 99% of people, generally carries like 5x-10x more weapons than a LAC does. And they note that LACs have extremely poor defenses compared to a warship because they have crappy sidewalls. Not really me knocking your argument as I'm certain this is how it's presented in the books, but the specifics the books give don't really match what it says.

It reminds me of the story about the Saganami game where they had trouble reconciling the written word on ships (X is heavily armed for its class) with the actual stats given in the books (Despite what was said, has less weapons than every other ship of its class).

Gnoman posted:

In addition to the entirely correct point about Grayson having to dump a huge part of their money into simple survival where Masada does not, you seem to have missed the fact that Masada didn't actually pay anything at all for Thunder of God or Principality. The transfer of the ships from the People's Navy to Masada was an outright gift to give the PRH plausible deniability in their operations. Historical analogies would be the swarms of advanced fighters piloted by Russian "volunteers" that fought for North Korea during the Korean War, or the "domestic militias" that found lots of modern Russian munitions during the 2008 invasion of Ukraine.

As for the LAC/Starship discussion, the point is that you cannot project power with a LAC, because it has no way to travel between star systems. They are ONLY useful as defensive weapons, so any nation that focuses on them isn't planning to operate in somebody else's star system. A nation that focuses on hyper-capable starships is one that plans to be away from home.

The fact that Grayson and Masada are far, far behind the PRH and Manticore in tech makes a big difference here as well. The great powers have decided that LACs are too weak to fight because of technology advances that make them that way. The cruder Grayson/Masada tech level has a different balance.

I wasn't counting either of those ships in the fleet that Masada has built, because they're not a known quality. As stated, Masada has five cruisers and eight destroyers that are known to Manticore, while Grayson has three cruisers and four destroyers. The Thunder of God is a Battlecruiser, so it's not part of the ones the Masada spent a third of their GSP on over twenty years.

Anyways as for the LACs, what I was getting at is LACs are (for now) only defensive weapons, they don't seem to be EFFECTIVE defensive weapons if you're expecting to defend against FTL ships, which is pretty much all the ones you'll be defending against. So it shouldn't be surprised that someone looking to defense against FTL ships would have an FTL fleet to stop them with.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 1, 2020

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

one thing with the Starfire books is that i vividly remember that preadolescent me always pictured Thebans as a bunch of Alfs

i don't know why, the description isn't that similar other than having snouts

crusade posted:

One of them puttered closer. He - at least Angus assumed it was a male - was dark skinned, his face covered with a fine, almost decorative spray of scales. His dark green uniform and body armor couldn't hide the strange angularity of the bony carapace covering his shoulders, and the smaller carapace over the top and back of his head gleamed under the sun. His amber eyes reminded Angus of a German Shepherd, but his blunt, vaguely wolf-like muzzle ended in flared, primate-like nostrils, and his large, powerful teeth were an omnivore's, not a carnivore's.

Angus had examined his captors carefully, and the first thing he'd thought of was an Old Terran baboon.The aliens' torsos were human-size but looked grotesque and ungainly perched on legs half as long as they should have been - an impression sharpened by their over-long arms. Yet they weren't baboons or anything else Old Terra had ever seen. Their limbs appeared to be double-jointed; their ankles sprang from the centers of broad, platform-like feet; they had three fingers, not four; and their thumbs were on the outsides of their hands, not the insides.

thebans are scaled whereas alf is furred
alf has short stumpy arms while thebans have big buff ape arms
thebans are omnivorous scavengers whereas alf is a powerful predator

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So you need the full suite of hyperspace engines etc to create a decent warship sidewall right?

You can't just build 'System defence ships', e.g. Rather than LAC's, a full size cruiser, with a cruiser sidewall, but the hyperdrive bit replaced with even more shooty stuff.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

So you need the full suite of hyperspace engines etc to create a decent warship sidewall right?

You can't just build 'System defence ships', e.g. Rather than LAC's, a full size cruiser, with a cruiser sidewall, but the hyperdrive bit replaced with even more shooty stuff.

Even if that would be possible, the main point of my argument was that LACs is what Grayson is able to build fast enough to even try to keep up with Masada building up their FTL-capable fleet. They're lovely, but they are what Grayson has chosen to depend on because the alternative would be suicide, as until Manticore shows up, they simply can't build real warships fast enough.

One of the (often forgotten, as Weber mentions this maybe 1 time in dozens of books) real reasons Grayson takes off so fast after Manticore steps in is that they can massively upgrade their food production, both orbital and what is left on the toxic ground, and reduce their liabilities drastically.

In the not so distant future, Grayson will begin to construct arcology-like domes on the ground, using Manticoran anti-grav technology. This way they can then completely de-toxify the now enclosed ground and do stuff like leaving their homes without cumbersome protection, or grow food that can't as easily be pelted with missiles.

Even without Masada being occupied by Manticore, this enormous boost to their economy would have turned the tide eventually: As Kchama said, with the difference in population, Masada should be a non-issue. And with the giant millstone that is Grayson's toxicity greatly reduced, this becomes true. Well, until Masadans start assassinating Manticoran politicians, but that's still in the far future! :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 1, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kchama posted:

I don't disagree with the whole 'they're cheap guns' thing, that's fair, but..

The thing is that the idea that they're suppose to be cheap system defense guns with more firepower than a light FTL ship doesn't actually match the data, as destroyers, just about the smallest warship used by 99% of people, generally carries like 5x-10x more weapons than a LAC does. And they note that LACs have extremely poor defenses compared to a warship because they have crappy sidewalls. Not really me knocking your argument as I'm certain this is how it's presented in the books, but the specifics the books give don't really match what it says.

As I'm concerned, when an author tells me one thing in his books, and later adds contradicting bullshit in some external "data" I'll probably never see, the bullshit is clearly wrong and should be ignored. :colbert:

That said, I don't have numbers handy for the size difference between destroyers and LAC, but please remember, even a small upgrade in available volume means you have a ton more place for stuff to put somewhere. Not only that, LACs entire thing is that they can only mount all those (still comparably not much, mind you) weapons because they don't spend space on FTL-drives and whatever else is needed to make a ship FTL-capable. If you take a LAC-sized ship and make it FTL-capable, you probably would end up with an almost unarmed scout.

quote:

Anyways as for the LACs, what I was getting at is LACs are (for now) only defensive weapons, they don't seem to be EFFECTIVE defensive weapons if you're expecting to defend against FTL ships, which is pretty much all the ones you'll be defending against. So it shouldn't be surprised that someone looking to defense against FTL ships would have an FTL fleet to stop them with.

They aren't effective, that's true. But if Grayson was only building effective ships, Masada would have bombed them back into the stone age by now, so until now they've been trapped by the choice of either building tons of crappy ships to counter Masadan capabilities, or lose.

Also remember, all Masadan FTL-ships are 100% lost when they lose their FTL-drive while fighting in the Grayson system. Even if the ships are just crippled, they can only blow themselves up or get captured by Graysonite forces. This means Graysonite LACs don't have to completely defeat their FTL-capable counterparts, just cripple them enough. Together with their cheapness, they're probably a good choice for a purely defensive nation trying to also keep a huge, expensive civilian infrastructure running at the same time.

The_E
Jul 2, 2018

Deptfordx posted:

You don't need a hyper generator for sidewalls. You don't even need impellers (note the comment in the text about Grayson's early orbital fortresses not even having spherical sidewalls), and it is absolutely possible to build sub-light ships at cruiser scale or larger and just not fit a hyper generator. Manticore's junction fortresses are essentially like that later on in the series: Giant behemoths that are larger than any SD and thus severely limited by them being too large for compensators to work, but still fitted with impeller rings because impellers are still vastly superior to any sidewall.

Noone in the Honorverse does this, however; I think it's because hyper generators don't scale linearly with ship size, so the tonnage and space saved in a cruiser or larger just doesn't end up giving you enough space to fit in significantly more shooty bits to make the loss in strategic mobility worth it.

The_E
Jul 2, 2018
ignore the stupid double post

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Libluini posted:

As I'm concerned, when an author tells me one thing in his books, and later adds contradicting bullshit in some external "data" I'll probably never see, the bullshit is clearly wrong and should be ignored. :colbert:

That said, I don't have numbers handy for the size difference between destroyers and LAC, but please remember, even a small upgrade in available volume means you have a ton more place for stuff to put somewhere. Not only that, LACs entire thing is that they can only mount all those (still comparably not much, mind you) weapons because they don't spend space on FTL-drives and whatever else is needed to make a ship FTL-capable. If you take a LAC-sized ship and make it FTL-capable, you probably would end up with an almost unarmed scout.

These details aren't in external stuff, but in the actual books themselves. He does it constantly, too. But that doesn't jive with what Gnoman was saying, that they could mount MORE guns because all they had were guns when in fact they can only mount a tiny amount of guns period. Like, yeah destroyers are a fair bit bigger than LACs, but nobody at all uses anything smaller for actual combat because they suck.

quote:

They aren't effective, that's true. But if Grayson was only building effective ships, Masada would have bombed them back into the stone age by now, so until now they've been trapped by the choice of either building tons of crappy ships to counter Masadan capabilities, or lose.

Also remember, all Masadan FTL-ships are 100% lost when they lose their FTL-drive while fighting in the Grayson system. Even if the ships are just crippled, they can only blow themselves up or get captured by Graysonite forces. This means Graysonite LACs don't have to completely defeat their FTL-capable counterparts, just cripple them enough. Together with their cheapness, they're probably a good choice for a purely defensive nation trying to also keep a huge, expensive civilian infrastructure running at the same time.

I mean, one of the core parts of the Manticore's argument against Houseman saying that Grayson stands an equal chance is that Grayson is significantly worse because most of their assets are LAC. If they had spent that LAC money on actual warships it would have been better spent. So it seems like the cheap defenders are pound for pound WORSE than spending an equal amount of money on larger warships. Especially since warships can actually sustain long fights, since LACs not only have few missile tubes but also all of their missile tubes are one-shot. They are effectively helpless once they fire a volley.

As for 'Masadan FTL-ships are 100% lost once they lose their FTL drive' that is... not really true. I mean yeah they can't leave through FTL, but losing your hyper generator doesn't mean that you can't fight or fly. They aren't even doomed to being blown up or captured, because they can still evade, shoot lasers, launch missiles and blow up your defenses and other LACs.

Anyways, as far as I remember LACs never do much of anything in this book at all.

The_E posted:

You don't need a hyper generator for sidewalls. You don't even need impellers (note the comment in the text about Grayson's early orbital fortresses not even having spherical sidewalls), and it is absolutely possible to build sub-light ships at cruiser scale or larger and just not fit a hyper generator. Manticore's junction fortresses are essentially like that later on in the series: Giant behemoths that are larger than any SD and thus severely limited by them being too large for compensators to work, but still fitted with impeller rings because impellers are still vastly superior to any sidewall.

Noone in the Honorverse does this, however; I think it's because hyper generators don't scale linearly with ship size, so the tonnage and space saved in a cruiser or larger just doesn't end up giving you enough space to fit in significantly more shooty bits to make the loss in strategic mobility worth it.

From On Basilisk Station, impellers at least scale with ship size - SDN impellers are so huge that a freighter that was nearly SDN size could barely fit military SDN impellers in it. Here's what we know about hyper generators and their size: Nothing. So it's hard to say one way or another. Chances are it's basically a 'free' tonnage slot, knowing Weber.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 1, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

There's an explicit mention somewhere that dispatch boats are LAC sized, and cannot fit any weapons or defenses at all due to the mass of their sails and hyper generator. LACs are weak because they are at the absolute minimum size for any warship at all.

You explicitly can build sublight only ships that are massively powerful bevause they don't waste space on hyper generators. That's what the Junction and Planetary forts are.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Gnoman posted:

There's an explicit mention somewhere that dispatch boats are LAC sized, and cannot fit any weapons or defenses at all due to the mass of their sails and hyper generator. LACs are weak because they are at the absolute minimum size for any warship at all.

You explicitly can build sublight only ships that are massively powerful bevause they don't waste space on hyper generators. That's what the Junction and Planetary forts are.

That does make sense, yeah. So I guess hyper generators have to be pretty big if the smallest they can be is the size of a LAC.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Chapter 20 is up over at Sufficient Velocity.

GB, take a b... no, take a victory lap. Strut.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Gnoman posted:

dispatch boats are about twice the size of a large, modern LAC

iirc couriers were compared in size not to LACs, but to frigates, warships poorly armed enough that they are no longer used

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

dispatch boats are about twice the size of a large, modern LAC

iirc couriers were compared in size not to LACs, but to frigates, warships poorly armed enough that they are no longer used

This appears to be true.

Relatedly, I finally found some data on a frigate's armament after some searching, and they appear to be, in general, twice as armed as a LAC while still being hyper capable. Like the Nat Turner is literally a frigate-sized Shrike but with twice the armaments.

So LACs don't match up well to even the smallest warship.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Almost like weber has a hard time keeping things consistent :v:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kchama posted:

That does make sense, yeah. So I guess hyper generators have to be pretty big if the smallest they can be is the size of a LAC.

there's also the Streak Drive

quote:

But the Mesan Alignment hadn't abandoned it, and finally, after the better part of a hundred T-years of dogged research, they'd found the answer. It was, in many ways, a brute force approach, and it wouldn't have been possible even now without relatively recent advances (whose potential no one else seemed to have noticed) in related fields. And even with those other advances, it had almost doubled the size of conventional hyper generators. But it worked. Indeed, they'd broken not simply the iota wall, but the kappa wall, as well. Which meant the voyage from New Tuscany to Mesa, which would have taken anyone else the next best thing to forty-five T-days, had taken Anisimovna less than thirty-one.

50% more speed by doubling the size of the hyper generator.

quote:

And he’d been equally wrong in his initial assumption that the operation had been scrubbed for some reason. The streak drive-equipped vessel had been considerably larger than most of the Alignment’s courier vessels, but it had still been effectively four times as fast as Star Galleon’s plodding best speed.

beeg dispatch boot

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Wibla posted:

Almost like weber has a hard time keeping things consistent :v:

Indeed! It's also funny because unlike LACs, Frigates can actually reload their missile tubes, so they aren't basically useless after one volley.

Though missile tubes taking up a lot of space stops making much sense once you get to the missile pods, wherein they contain more missiles in small pods than ships can hold in their entirety.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The issue isn't the space missile tubes take up, it is the space magazines take. A tube full of missile takes up only a little more tonnage than the missile itself does, and generally less than the combination of missile+armored magazine+reloading mechanisms. This isn't something Weber made up - almost all modern warships have gone from rail launchers loaded via magazine to massed single-shot VLS cells because you get a much higher fire rate and actually hold more missiles.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Weber botched the job though, because he wanted the actual 'gun' that fires the missile to be important too - there's all kinds of :techno: about how you need a mass driver to get the missile up to initial velocity and out of the way. His missile pods couldn't be invented until they had miniaturized mass drivers and the power for them.

So his missile pods aren't VLS cells. VLS cells would make perfect sense. What they are is boxes of guns dropped behind the ship. And that makes...less sense.

Also it's a bit backwards to argue that 'the issue isn't the space missile tubes take up, it's the space magazines take' when the issue Kchama is complaining about is that ships can somehow carry more missile pods in their magazines than they can regular old missiles! Somehow the bigger thing takes up less space?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
The pod ships pack more missiles in because they involve structural changes and higher levels of automation than pre-pod designs, resulting in significantly lower crew sizes and therefore freeing up space to cram more pods in to. The books discuss this, starting with In Enemy Hands (and is of course part of Honor lecturing her mentor-cum-husband about him being Wrong When She's Right™.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

aren't LACs really just space PT boats

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Aerdan posted:

The pod ships pack more missiles in because they involve structural changes and higher levels of automation than pre-pod designs, resulting in significantly lower crew sizes and therefore freeing up space to cram more pods in to. The books discuss this, starting with In Enemy Hands (and is of course part of Honor lecturing her mentor-cum-husband about him being Wrong When She's Right™.

The problem is that not only can they carry more missile pod-missiles than actual regular missiles, but people mathed it out and they often carry more mass in missiles than the ships mass themselves.

Like, by the last couple of books, a small fleet of pod-layers can carry literally millions of missiles in their pods. Which was doubly dumb since not long before this happened, they had all of their orbital facilities and shipyards destroyed, including their missile construction and storage facilities. But they still had literally millions of missiles to throw around willy-nilly without any fear of running out, and also building all these didn't bankrupt their economy considering that the cheapest this could cost is a trillion for one fleet's armaments, if they were using warhead-less 1900-era Light Cruiser missiles only and not the many times bigger MDM capital ship missiles.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 3, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Aerdan posted:

There is still absolutely no way to make "missile+launcher" take up less room than "missile," and in a podlayer, every single missile is paired with its own bespoke launcher. Podlayers should always carry fewer total missiles than standard warships, and gain benefit in being able to fire larger alpha strikes.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

General Battuta posted:

There is still absolutely no way to make "missile+launcher" take up less room than "missile," and in a podlayer, every single missile is paired with its own bespoke launcher. Podlayers should always carry fewer total missiles than standard warships, and gain benefit in being able to fire larger alpha strikes.

It's true. Though even before this they still carried more missiles than they have mass. Like, the 1905-era Super Dreadnoughts carried 100,000 counter missiles (which seems rather excessive considering they only have like 72 launchers) and 9600 capital missiles (80 launchers). And Super Dreadnoughts are about 1700 meters long, and only 100 meters wide. Capital-sized missiles of the era were ~15m long. So basically the entire middle of the ship would have to be missiles. And they still had room for five thousand people and dozens of apparently massive lasers/grasers and a gravlance.

The Medusa-class, which is the first pod-layer, is 1400m long, so even smaller than the 1905-era SDNs, and holds 492 missile pods. Doesn't sound too bad, right? Except each pod holds 10-20 missiles (depending on whether they have the Multi-Drive Missiles in them or not), and also you have to take in account that each pod has to have a reactor in them and individual mass drivers for each of the missiles, plus the casing for all of this.

So that's about 5000 missiles that are 1.5 to 2 times the size of a regular missile. So it's back to the mass of the 10,000 missiles in a smaller ship.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 3, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

General Battuta posted:

This is later mentioned as an explicit weakness of the pod types. Conventional ships carry more ammunition.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Also because pod-ships have a big open area at the back to keep all the missiles in they're not as tough and resistant to damage as a regular warship and a badly placed hit on the stern could cripple a pod-warships firepower.

Not that anyone thinks to exploit this of course because any enemy with a brain is destined to fail into line with our heroes.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

FuturePastNow posted:

aren't LACs really just space PT boats

Until Weber decides "I'm getting bored with Napoleonic War but in space. Let's WW2 up this thing and introduces Carriers at which point they become TBF Avengers but in space."

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

Until Weber decides "I'm getting bored with Napoleonic War but in space. Let's WW2 up this thing and introduces Carriers at which point they become TBF Avengers but in space."

I think he got bored with that by a book or two and they stopped being important again.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

True.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Gnoman posted:

This is later mentioned as an explicit weakness of the pod types. Conventional ships carry more ammunition.

And the pre-pod SDNs had heavier energy armaments, making them more effective at the short ranges were combat no longer takes place by the end of the series.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ferrosol posted:

Also because pod-ships have a big open area at the back to keep all the missiles in they're not as tough and resistant to damage as a regular warship and a badly placed hit on the stern could cripple a pod-warships firepower.

Not that anyone thinks to exploit this of course because any enemy with a brain is destined to fail into line with our heroes.

That's the "up the skirt" shot they always talk about in these books and it's been a primary goal of their warship combat since roughly forever because there's no magic gravity shields there. It's just really hard to do because there's a ton of other defenses there and they can maneuver to avoid it.

General Battuta posted:

This is how it is in the books and Honor even explicitly mentions it when she's yelling at White Haven for dismissing the podships out of hand, saying that the huge alpha strike power is worth sacrificing 20% of their overall missile capacity or whatnot. I feel like the reduction should probably be larger, more like 40-50%, but the reductiont is mentioned.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Khizan posted:

That's the "up the skirt" shot they always talk about in these books and it's been a primary goal of their warship combat since roughly forever because there's no magic gravity shields there. It's just really hard to do because there's a ton of other defenses there and they can maneuver to avoid it.

This is how it is in the books and Honor even explicitly mentions it when she's yelling at White Haven for dismissing the podships out of hand, saying that the huge alpha strike power is worth sacrificing 20% of their overall missile capacity or whatnot. I feel like the reduction should probably be larger, more like 40-50%, but the reductiont is mentioned.

IT should be way less since every pod has to have its own reactor too in addition to the tubes and missiles themselves. And of course they suddenly can control several times more missiles than they use to be able to per volley.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Yes, unless you actually do the math, when it turns out they don't. We know what the books say, we're just commenting on the inconsistency.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I can't put into words just how good Dickenson's rewrite of Mission of Honor is.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

re: pod spam math

The use of missile colliers as arsenal ships at Spindle sorta makes me wonder what is the point of having podnoughts.

If Manticore's new, souped up cruisers and battlecruisers have enough fire control to handle whatever arbitrarily large number of missile pods you can deploy from a flying missile box (even before getting into the dedicated fire control platform idea Haven came up with), what is the point in making the flying missile box fancy and expensive?

Obviously a podnought is a lot more physically durable than a missile collier with cruiser escorts, which matters if they ever run into something that can match their range.

But, on the other hand, the sheer number of missiles that get thrown around in these late-series engagements mean that stand-off point defense is more important for survivability than armor, and larger platforms get diminishing returns on point-defense coverage, which is why fleet screening elements are even a thing. And we've seen that the best point defense solution in the honorverse is clouds of LACs armed with the Grayson super-countermissiles, anyway.

One could say "you need podnoughts because they're the only podlaying ships that have the endurance to slug it out in a sustained engagement with other podnoughts", which I think comes up at some point during a discussion about pod battlecruisers, but I don't know if that notion holds up after First Manticore, the only big battle between rival SD(P) fleets, wherein they all just deleted each other with a few huge salvoes.

It seems to me that there are relatively few circumstances where a podnought division would be more useful than a squadron of souped-up cruisers accompanied by a CLAC and an auxiliary ship or two stuffed full of pods, a combo that is probably cheaper and faster to build than an equivalent pod-laying weight of Invictuses.

I suspect that, if Weber had continued writing, we'd eventually have ended up with a universe where the ship-of-the-wall goes obsolete entirely, replaced by increasingly modular and flexible ways of deploying swarms of pods and LACs w/o mucking around with conventional capital ships as middlemen.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 4, 2020

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Nah, he loves big ships full of unimportant people who can die to massive shards of metal tearing them into itty bitty pieces too much for that.

Oh right, Grayson Supercountermissiles. How about we go back to a time when Grayson was actually centuries behind everyone else, instead of more advanced than everyone else.

HONOR OF THE QUEEN CHAPTER 12

quote:

I dunno why it has this scene break here, at the start of a chapter.

quote:

The buzzing com terminal jerked Raoul Courvosier awake. He sat up in bed quickly, scrubbing sleep from his eyes, and hit the acceptance key, then straightened as he recognized Yanakov. The Grayson admiral was bare-chested under a bathrobe, and his sleep-puffy eyes were bright.

"Sorry to wake you, Raoul." His soft Grayson accent was clipped. "Tracking just picked up a hyper footprint thirty light-minutes from Yeltsin. A big one."

"Masada?" Courvosier asked sharply.

"We don't know yet, but they're coming in from oh-oh-three oh-niner-two. That's certainly right for a straight-line course from Endicott."

"What do you have on impeller signatures?"

"That's mighty far out for us." Yanakov sounded a bit embarrassed. "We're trying to refine our data, but—"

"Pass the locus to Commander Alvarez," Courvosier interrupted. "Madrigal's sensor suite is better than anything you've got. Maybe he can refine it for you."

"Thank you. I hoped you'd say that." Yanakov sounded so grateful Courvosier frowned in genuine surprise.

"You didn't let that rear end in a top hat Houseman make you think I wouldn't?"

"Well, no, but we're not officially allied, so if you—"

"Just because we don't have a piece of paper doesn't mean you and I aren't aware of what both our heads of state want, and one of the advantages of being an admiral instead of a diplomat—" Courvosier made the word an obscenity "—is that we can cut through the bullshit when we have to. Now pass that info on to Madrigal." He paused, about to cut the circuit. "And may I assume I'm invited to Command Central?"

"We'd be honored to have you," Yanakov said, quickly and sincerely.

"Thank you. Oh, and when you contact Alvarez, see where he is on that project I assigned him Monday." Courvosier smiled crookedly. "We've been monitoring your C3 systems, and I think he can probably tie Madrigal's sensors directly into Command Central's net."

"That is good news!" Yanakov said enthusiastically. "I'll get right on it. I'll pick you up in my car in fifteen minutes."

DIPLOMACY SUCKS!!!!!! this is basically a running theme where diplomacy can't settle things, you have to blow poo poo up.

quote:

Printers chattered madly as the admirals arrived at Command Central, and the two of them turned as one to the main display board. A dot of light crept across it with infinitesimal speed. That was a trick of scale—any display capable of showing a half light-hour radius had to compress things—but at least gravitic detectors were FTL so they could watch it in real time. For all the good it was likely to do them.

Madrigal had, indeed, gotten her CIC tied into the net. The board couldn't display individual impeller sources at such a long range, but the data codes beside the single blotch of light were far too detailed for Grayson instrumentation. That was Courvosier's first thought; his second was a stab of dismay, and he pursed his lips silently. There were ten ships out there, accelerating from the low velocity imposed by translation into normal space. Not even Madrigal could "see" them well enough to identify individual ships, but the impeller strengths allowed tentative IDs by class. And if Commander Alvarez's sensor crews were right, they were four light cruisers and six destroyers—more tonnage than the entire Grayson hyper-capable fleet.

A projected vector suddenly arced across the display, and Yanakov cursed beside him.

"What?" Courvosier asked quietly.

"They're headed straight for Orbit Four, one of our belt mining processing nodes. drat!"

"What have you got to stop them?"

"Not enough," Yanakov said grimly. He glanced up. "Walt! How long till they hit Orbit Four?"

"Approximately sixty-eight minutes," Commodore Brentworth replied.

"Anything we can intercept with?"

"Judah could reach them just short of the processors." Brentworth's voice was flat. "Nothing else could—not even a LAC."

"That's what I thought." Yanakov's shoulders slumped, and Courvosier understood perfectly. Sending a single destroyer out to meet that much firepower would be worse than pointless. "Signal Judah to stand clear of them," the Grayson admiral sighed, "then get me a mike. Orbit Four's on its own." His lips twitched bitterly. "The least I can do is tell them myself."

For all the chatter about LACs earlier and how many Grayson has, I don't actually remember them mattering much in this book at all, even when they actually get into a fight.

Also this is an attack they've seen coming from a pretty decent distance away because basically they wanted to be seen and the target of the attack is basically screwed.

From here we skip from view point to view point as this event happens which largely just repeats information we've already seen

quote:

The holo sphere sparkled with individual lights and shifting patterns of information as Matthew Simonds stood in Thunder of God's CIC. Captain Yu stood beside him, face relaxed and calm, and Simonds repressed a flare of disappointment. He should be on Abraham's bridge, not standing here watching one of his juniors lead Masada's most powerful attack ever on Yeltsin's Star!

But he couldn't be. And powerful as this attack was, it was but one aspect of the overall plan—a plan whose entirety not even Captain Yu knew.

Orbit Four's CO watched his com, and a drop of sweat trickled down his face. The transmission had taken almost half an hour to reach him, but he'd known what it was going to say for over twenty minutes.

"I'm sorry, Captain Hill, but you're on your own," High Admiral Yanakov's voice was level, his face like stone. "Aside from Judah, nothing we've got can intercept, and sending her in alone would be suicide."

Hill nodded in silent agreement. His own lack of bitterness surprised him, but there was no point condemning Judah to share his command's death. And at least he'd gotten the collector ships out; three were down for repairs, but the others were well away, packed with Orbit Four's dependents, and his gravitics had already picked up the squadron headed towards them from Grayson. Unless the Masadans broke off from Orbit Four to pursue the fugitives in the next five minutes or so, they could never intercept short of the relief force. At least his wives and children would survive.

"Do your best, Captain," Yanakov said quietly. "God bless."

"Put me on record," Hill told his white-faced com officer, and the lieutenant nodded choppily.

"Recording, Sir."

"Message received and understood, Admiral Yanakov," Hill said as calmly as he could. "We'll do what we can. For the record, I concur completely in your decision not to send Judah in." He hesitated a second, wondering if he should add some last, dramatic statement, then shrugged. "And God bless you, too, Bernie," he ended softly.

Captain Yu's expression had yielded to a slight frown. He leaned to one side, checking a readout, then straightened with a small shrug. His frown disappeared, yet there was a new intentness in his eyes. It was almost a look of disappointment, Simonds thought. Or of disapproval.

He started to ask what Yu's problem was, but the range was down to three and a half million kilometers, and he couldn't tear his attention from the sphere.

"They're late." Admiral Courvosier's statement was barely a whisper, yet Yanakov heard him and nodded curtly. The Masadan commander had missed his best chance to kill Orbit Four from beyond its own range . . . not that it was going to make any difference to Captain Hill's men in the end.

The Masadan ships' velocities mounted steadily. Their courses were already curving up in the arc which would take them inside Orbit Four and back the way they'd come, and weapons crews crouched over their consoles as the range dropped. There was tension in their faces, but no real fear. They had the protection of their impeller wedges and sidewalls; the weapon stations guarding Orbit Four were naked to their fire, protected only by point defense.

"We've got a good target setup, Sir."

Admiral Jansen looked up aboard the light cruiser Abraham, flagship of the Masadan Navy, as his chief of staff spoke.

"Range?"

"Coming down on three million kilometers."

Jansen nodded. His missiles were slower than Thunder of God's. Their drives would burn out in less than a minute, and their maximum acceleration was barely thirty thousand gravities, but his fleet's closing speed was over 27,000 KPS. His missiles would take seventy-eight seconds to reach their targets from that initial velocity; Orbit Four's missiles would take a minute and a half to reach him. Only a twelve-second difference—but unlike asteroids, his ships could dodge.

"Commence firing," he said harshly.

Captain Hill's face tightened as his gravitics picked up missile separations. At this range, even given their closing speed, drive burnout would send his missiles ballistic and deprive them of their homing ability over 800,000 kilometers short of target. That was why he'd held his own fire, hoping against hope that they'd keep coming until he opened up. Not that he'd expected them to, but it had been worth praying for. There was little point throwing away birds that couldn't maneuver when they reached the enemy—missiles that had gone ballistic were easy for impeller drive ships to evade or pick off—but they'd already come closer than he'd had any reasonable right to expect, and even a ballistic bird was better than none when he and his men had at most three salvos before the Masadan missiles arrived.

"Open fire!" he barked, and then, in a softer voice, "Stand by point defense."

The range was too great even for Madrigal's systems to plot single missile drives, but the display flashed as the destroyer's sensors noted a sudden background cascade of impeller sources. Courvosier stood silently beside Yanakov, watching the Grayson admiral's gray, clenched face, and knew there was nothing at all he could say.

Sword Simonds shivered as he watched the missiles on Thunder of God's displays. They slashed out from attacker and defender alike, tiny drops of ruby blood that were somehow beautiful and obscenely tranquil. There should have been fury and thunder. Should have been the sights and sounds and smells of battle. But there was only the hum of ventilation systems and the calm, quiet murmur of sensor technicians.

The tiny dots moved with agonizing slowness across the holo sphere's vast scale, and time held its breath. Another salvo followed thirty-five seconds later, and another, answered by the Graysons' replies. Then the first salvo's dots vanished as their drives burned out, and Admiral Jansen altered course, twisting away from the defensive fire which had gone inert and clumsy. Simonds pictured Jansen's missiles driving on through God's own emptiness, invisible on passive sensors at such a range, and there was an inevitability, almost a dreaminess, about it now.

Orbit Four's defenses had never been intended to stand off eighty percent of the Masadan Navy all by themselves. The fixed fortifications were sitting ducks for missile solutions; anything fired at them was almost bound to hit, unless it was stopped by point defense, and there simply wasn't enough point defense to stop the scores of missiles coming at them.

Radar locked onto the incoming warheads, and counter missiles raced to meet them. The chances of interception were far lower than they would have been for more modern defensive systems, but Captain Hill's men did well. They stopped almost a third of them, and lasers and last-ditch autocannon went to continuous fire against the survivors.

Admiral Jansen stared at his visual display, ignoring the salvos of Grayson missiles flashing towards him. The first one didn't matter, anyway; it would be ballistic and harmless long before it reached him. The second would still have a few moments on its drives, but only enough for straight-in attacks with no last minute penetration maneuvers. Only the third posed a real threat, and his smile was a shark's as huge fireballs glared, eye-hurting and savage even at ten light-seconds and despite the display's filters.

Sword Simonds leaned closer to the holo sphere as the flashing time display counted down to impact for the first Grayson salvo. None of Jansen's impeller signatures vanished, and the task force altered course again to evade the second salvo. His eyes darted back to the secondary plot monitoring Orbit Four's launch times, and his mouth curved up in a smile of triumph.

Something like a soft, silent moan—sensed, not heard—swept through the background printer clatter of Central Command as the data codes blinked. More missile projections traced their way across the glass . . . and every one of them was headed away from the attackers.

Courvosier's shoulders slumped. They'd deserved better than that, he thought. They'd deserved-

"They got one of the bastards!" someone screamed, and his eyes jerked back to the board.

The missile was an orphan from Captain Hill's third and final salvo. In fact, it should have been from his second salvo, but its launch crew had suffered a momentary loss of power. By the time the frantic techs got their weapon back on line, their bird launched almost five seconds after the third salvo, and all of them were dead by the time it entered attack range. The orphan neither knew nor cared about that. It drove forward, still under power while its sensors listened to the beacon of its chosen target. The Masadan defensive systems almost missed the single missile entirely, then assigned it a far lower threat value as it tagged along behind the others.

Admiral Jansen's ships writhed and twisted far more frantically, for unlike the first salvo, this one still had drive power. But Tracking had its birds pegged to a fare-thee-well, and counter-missiles charged to meet the most dangerous ones.

Defensive fire smashed some of the orphan's fellows. Others immolated themselves uselessly against impeller wedges they couldn't possibly penetrate. A handful struck squarely at the far weaker sidewalls protecting the open sides of those wedges, and one of them actually penetrated. Its target lurched, damage alarms screaming, but the Masadan destroyer's damage was slight, and only the orphan was left. Only the orphan with the low threat value.

The two counter-missiles targeted on it flashed past, clear misses without the better seeking heads of more modern navies, and its target's sensors, half-blinded by the artificial grav wave of its own belly stress band, lost lock. There was no last-minute laser fire, and the missile bobbed up, programmed for a frontal attack, and threw every erg of drive power it still had into crushing deceleration. There wasn't time to kill much velocity, even at 30,000 gees—but it was enough.

The unprotected, wide open throat of the light cruiser Abraham's impeller wedge engulfed the warhead like a vast scoop. Primary and backup proximity fuses flashed as one, and a fifty-megaton explosion erupted one hundred meters from the Masadan flagship.

Sword Simonds' face went bone-white as the impeller signature vanished. Air hissed in his nostrils, and he peered at the holo sphere for one, frozen moment, unwilling to accept it, then turned to stare at Captain Yu.

The Havenite returned his gaze gravely, but there was no shock, no horror, in his eyes. There wasn't even any surprise.

"A pity," Yu said quietly. "They should have launched from farther out."

Simonds clenched his teeth against a mad impulse to scream at his "adviser." Twenty percent of the Masadan wall of battle had just been obliterated, and all he could say was they should have launched from farther out?! His eyes blazed, but Yu flipped his own eyes to the members of the sword's staff. Most of them were still staring at the sphere, shocked by the totally unanticipated loss, and the Havenite officer pitched his voice high enough for them to hear as he continued.

"Still, Sir, it's the final objective that matters. There are always losses, however good a battle plan may be, but Grayson has lost far more heavily than we have, and the trap is set, isn't it, Sir?"

Simonds stared at him, still quivering with fury, but he felt his staff behind him and sensed the potential damage to their confidence. He knew what Yu was doing, and the infidel was right—curse him!

"Yes," he made himself say calmly and levelly for his staff's benefit, and the word was acid on his tongue. "Yes, Captain Yu, the trap is set . . . exactly as planned."

And that's the entire chapter. It's actually one of his best chapters, just because it's entirely focused on the action for pretty much all of it. Though there's still some really terrible prose, like

quote:

The unprotected, wide open throat of the light cruiser Abraham's impeller wedge engulfed the warhead like a vast scoop. Primary and backup proximity fuses flashed as one, and a fifty-megaton explosion erupted one hundred meters from the Masadan flagship.

That's bad.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

"That is good news!" Yanakov said enthusiastically. "I'll get right on it. I'll pick you up in my car in fifteen minutes."

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

e: qne

e2: I'll use this real estate for something actually. The Honorverse has a perfect setup for space submarines. What if you do a 'downward' translation from realspace and end up in a band of hyperspace 'underneath' it? Distances are massively expanded so it takes forever to get anywhere and forever to see anything, but you can do the 'downward' translation inside conventional hyper limits.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 4, 2020

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

General Battuta posted:

e: qne

e2: I'll use this real estate for something actually. The Honorverse has a perfect setup for space submarines. What if you do a 'downward' translation from realspace and end up in a band of hyperspace 'underneath' it? Distances are massively expanded so it takes forever to get anywhere and forever to see anything, but you can do the 'downward' translation inside conventional hyper limits.

Yamato 2199 has that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctmO-z08LdM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Also recalls Glen Cook's Passage at Arms where "climber" ships use a sort of subspace (or perhaps several such layers? I forget) for stealthy movement, and the limitations of such are an excuse to write Das Boot in space. Very claustrophobic feeling.

I think the book might be part of a larger series, I remember references to climber ships in other stuff he's written.