Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Gary Barlow is not amused,tax dodging prick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

There are character models in dreamcast games that look better than this.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

CountDrac posted:

Occam's donor.

did anyone say Occam's Fundraiser yet?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

Stole Citizer - Occam's Fundraider

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

deep dish peat moss posted:

No but i like it

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

lobsterminator posted:

Is it me or is SC getting uglier? Maybe it's just because of most of the new footage is focused on player characters and interiors.

All the interiors also look like places I'd hate to spend any time in. Generic scifi modular hallways. This game is supposed to be the ultimate escapism for middle-aged office drones, but they insist on making everything look and feel like the dullest places possible.

Even Euro Truck Simulator has nice scenery to look at.

It's getting uglier because ever so slowly, people are putting stuff into the game that may actually work, instead of a seven billion poly character straight out of a maya render.

There is a fine line in the CIG art department in that they seem to be able to do mostly ok high detail art, but they have serious problems converting that into video game art.

Like the original maya render of Mark Hamill they used as promotional material for a decade was pretty great. But technology these days with other companies allows that level of appearance to be run in real time in a game. Meanwhile, CIG is having problems somewhere so all of their characters look like poser models or like they are plastic dolls.

Somewhere in the war on fidelity, they forgot how to make art for a video game instead of a rendered commercial.

And let's not get into their animation. That's abysmal on all levels for them. It's like they have the Bethesda curse for Oblivion somehow... minus the ability to make an open world game that's packed with fun things to do instead of just empty procedural terrain save a few hand placed gimmicks on something the size of a whole planet.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Colostomy Bag posted:

I like the final response:

Yeah, guy wants to play a game, has fifty loving things wrong, so hey, make fifty trouble tickets documenting them each in detail.

:lol:

Hey backers, you realize people are paid to do QA work and it's actually supposed to be part of the development process?

Nice job paying CIG to do a job they should be paying you to do. Keep up the great work and remember that you better write your tickets good. CIG will be providing you with the proper standard to follow.

Buy a new ship!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

Hey backers, you realize people are paid to do QA work and it's actually supposed to be part of the development process?

Nice job paying CIG to do a job they should be paying you to do. Keep up the great work and remember that you better write your tickets good. CIG will be providing you with the proper standard to follow.

Buy a new ship!

I love the way their backers dig right in earnestly with their "bug reporting" - "look, I'm helping" - on a "game" that's literally years and years away from a state where bug reporting even makes sense.

Commandos, your bug reports are worthless, because the game can't be fixed in its current state. It needs to be torn down and rebuilt. Those aren't "bugs" you're seeing - they're physical manifestations of Chris Roberts's legendary ineptitude. The window to prevent all this was late August 1967 through late May 1968. We're a bit past that. Stop giving this man money.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

I love the way their backers dig right in earnestly with their "bug reporting" - "look, I'm helping" - on a "game" that's literally years and years away from a state where bug reporting even makes sense.

Commandos, your bug reports are worthless, because the game can't be fixed in its current state. It needs to be torn down and rebuilt. Those aren't "bugs" you're seeing - they're physical manifestations of Chris Roberts's legendary ineptitude. The window to prevent all this was late August 1967 through late May 1968. We're a bit past that. Stop giving this man money.

The disappointing part is they are 8+ years in and still working at the concept stage of development and seeing what all they might be able to throw into a product.

This isn't an alpha. It's nowhere near an alpha. It's definitely not a beta, the ground between an alpha and beta is not actually that huge as far as "finished product" goes.

You're still at a very conceptual stage. Which at this point in the timeline is massively, hugely messed up.

They should be working on Star Citizen 2 or 3 by now, or some other non-space games, similar to Frontier or any other solvent game studio reliant on making a product vs "possibly scamming" backers out of their money.

If you, however, consider this as the conception stage, 8 years in, it will be 20+ years before you get a game in beta.

The reality of your situation is at any point CIG can just tell you they are done. Star Citizen is complete and it meets their MVP (which was never defined to begin with, unless you count everything CR absolved himself of).

Basically you have a poo poo product that at any point the dev team can give up on and call it finished and y'all backers are left holding the brown bag of barf.

By the looks of things, you're going to continue to have barely good modders continuing to put mods on top of a broken framework that can't support anything, and will never have any iota of stability.

You'll get eating a hamburger animations but you'll never see massive fleet battles.

You'll have sitting on a toilet but you'll never have a good trading economy that functions.

You'll have endless CTDs or hard locks but you'll never see stability.

You'll never have people playing the game but you will see people running on a rail they found that doesn't cause a crash "most of the time".

You'll see graphics too detailed to be in a game but you'll never see good performance from them.

Etc etc.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The Titanic posted:

You'll get eating a hamburger animations but you'll never see massive fleet battles.

You'll have sitting on a toilet but you'll never have a good trading economy that functions.

If this were a retail release this would be perfect box copy.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

It's doing penance. I have encountered a bug! A bug is to doubt! I confess to Robert Space Industri that I have doubt. Bug reported. I sigh with relief. Now to open my wallet...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Icing on the cake is...remember...their own issue council/bug reporting system was broken.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Co-op bug reporting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfIzLAc2Dns

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
THERE IS ALWAYS A PENIS SHAPE IN THE LIGHT REFLECTION ON MY PROSPECTOR'S FRONT VIEWPORT

quote:

Fly the Prospector anywhere, the shape on the cockpit glass positively resembles the shape of a penis

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Star Citizen: There's a penis on my front viewport

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Flatlander, by Larry Niven posted:

Owen was my age but more experienced, a Belter born and bred. His blue eyes and blond cockatoo's crest were startling against the dark of his Belter tan, the tan that ended so abruptly where his neck ring cut off the space-intense sunlight his helmet let through.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
This one needs a video

quote:

ACTUAL RESULT

After standing up from a seated position, my avatar merged into the body of an NPC that was standing in front of me.

WORKAROUND

If you jump around and move around enough, you can disconnect your body from the NPC

Who’s driving and who’s the co-pilot?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Proof this game is all cocked up.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Tanith posted:

Flatlander, by Larry Niven posted:

Owen was my age but more experienced, a Belter born and bred. His blue eyes and blond cockatoo's crest were startling against the dark of his Belter tan, the tan that ended so abruptly where his neck ring cut off the space-intense sunlight his helmet let through.

:golfclap::golfclap:

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018
I have question, which really bugging me for some time.

As you can see in video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgN6WJtcucM&feature=youtu.be&t=87
around 1:30 when commando respawn in pod, there is hexagon mesh. Same mesh is used in crysis, I though my memory is failing ne me but it is visible in crysis3:
( around 1:00 ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMZIr-smOGM

So question is why it is in SC, is this hexagon mesh so deeply baked in cryengine that it cannot be easily removed, or CIG doesnt care that it make SC look like expensive Crysis mod ?
Please serious answer, i really want to know if CIG is so lazy or incompetent. Or if I don't understand cryengine development.

HorseBodyInspector fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 3, 2020

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

HorseBodyInspector posted:

As you can see in video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgN6WJtcucM&feature=youtu.be&t=87
around 1:30 when commando respawn in pod, there is hexagon mesh. Same mesh is used in crysis, I though my memory is failing ne me but it is visible in crysis3:

So question is why it is in SC, is this hexagon mesh so deeply baked in cryengine that it cannot be easily removed, or CIG doesnt care that it make SC look like expensive Crysis mod ?
Please serious answer, i really want to know if CIG is so lazy or incompetent. Or if I don't understand cryengine development.

They're two different effects. I'm sure it's because CRobberts doesn't have a creative bone in his body and couldn't figure out any other way to signify that you're wearing an AR device.

EDIT: TO be clear, they took the Crysis one out and put in another one that is similar but not the same. So they are neither lazy nor incompetent they are just intellectually bankrupt.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 3, 2020

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

It's not baked in, they do look eerily similar but at worst, uncreative imagination on chris' part or using default crysis assets they found.

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

stingtwo posted:

It's not baked in, they do look eerily similar but at worst, uncreative imagination on chris' part or using default crysis assets they found.

thank you for explanation, this make sense and fits to Chris Roberts style

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
The cinema, the drama!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yrUgQhhDv4

Especially that wistful ending after the red out.

Chris would be proud.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I just enjoy how the environments in Crysis 3 (a game that came out in 2013 on the same engine) look way better than Star Citizen.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

In a real development studio, the database architecture and schema values and relational values and keys, etc. are all generally mostly developed at the beginning of a project and are often part of a rudimentary design document of some sort.

The reason for this is because in systems larger than something hosting a single web page and v being worked on by multiple people, the database is a fairly critical component. Everybody is either building too, interacting with, or coordinating improvements of how the data is stored, handled, indexed, cached, and available for swift and sort interactions.

If you gently caress this up... well here we are in year 8 and CIG is teaching you a great lesson in software development and the importance of design, food documentation, project management, and oversight from a stakeholder off some sort who actually expects progress instead of a decade of bumbling.

Somebody need to make this into some kind of educational video where you have "the girl who did it right" and "the girl who does it wrong" and the wrong one has a CIG logo on her shirt.

"Oh, Mary. That's not how we plan a sprint! You can't time box a project deliverable to 'sometime this decade maybe'!" :)

I think the Crytek guys who were originally with them are all gone now? Also you're wrong cause they're layering in the fidelity. Can't have predetermined schema's and proper data structures to curb creativity.

Colostomy Bag posted:

The vegan version of the Lesnick challenge.

Star Citizer: The Lesnick Challenge

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I’m trying to do a play through of New Vegas to pass some time since I’m “”””working”””” from home, and I’ve been watching a lot of videos about the Fallout Franchise. I haven’t played it in years, and I never did a Legion play through.

The game is really well written and mechanically really deep and interesting, but mannnn it looks hideous, even by 2010 standards, and considering Skyrim came out the next year. Like every town is just a bare block of buildings with interiors that are just a pixelated grey mess, and it’s all just in the middle of a even more barren yellow waste that’s just three different textures pasted over random terrain.

There’s a huge dissonance between the world as described in the writing and what Obsidian could cram into the engine with only 18 months of dev time. Like the strip, which is supposed to be an amazing pre-war relic that two massive armies are fighting over, is just a small plaza with a few buildings, cut in half by a fence.

It’s honestly making it hard to get through, despite how good the story and characters are.

I would literally sell my soul to Todd Howard in exchange for New Vegas being remade in a modern engine.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

I would literally sell my soul to Todd Howard in exchange for New Vegas being remade in a modern engine.

So when are you working on the port of skyrim to the ps5? :v:

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Finally, the devs are rebelling. It has been a long time coming.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

colonelwest posted:

Not quite a "modern engine", but still...

http://www.f4nv.com/

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/UbG5t3E.gifv

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Elite Dangerous and No Mans Sky today chat with Store Citizer on the Space Sim Channel.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Experimental Skin posted:

Elite Dangerous and No Mans Sky today chat with Store Citizer on the Space Sim Channel.

Haha perfect

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Pharohman777 posted:

So when are you working on the port of skyrim to the ps5? :v:

Todd has me working on porting Skyrim to the TI-84 graphing calculator. He says just a few more years of unpaid labor and he’ll remaster New Vegas.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Bug report. Cry for help. No difference.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Experimental Skin posted:

Not quite a "modern engine", but still...

http://www.f4nv.com/

Yeah, I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m kind of skeptical about fan made projects of this scale. I mean Skywind has been dragging on as long as SC now, with no end in sight.

It would be cool if Bethesda did something like Valve did with Black Mesa, and support the teams behind these projects and turn them into commercial releases. Their Creation Club, could have been the prefect avenue for that. But they’re probably too stupid and short sighted to change their ways.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I begged a friend to not try and play the new version of Star Citizen after his employment ended today, but he went ahead and did it anyway. After getting through the weird character generator, it hung for about 20 minutes on the loading screen and CTD'd without ever actually entering the PU.

Game of the year. It's an experience so exclusive you can't even play it!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Anticheese posted:

I begged a friend to not try and play the new version of Star Citizen after his employment ended today, but he went ahead and did it anyway. After getting through the weird character generator, it hung for about 20 minutes on the loading screen and CTD'd without ever actually entering the PU.

Game of the year. It's an experience so exclusive you can't even play it!

That's the odd thing that the YouTube videos don't get across. For every 10 minutes of gameplay you see, there are around 10 hours of hangs, crashes, and glitches sitting on the cutting room floor right next to Sandi's movie footage.

How little you hear about that is a big clue into the remaining backer base - it's pretty much distilled down to diehards that will never find fault and are assisting CIG in misrepresenting the state of the game. There are no more casual fans. If there were, the inherent awfulness and instability of the game would be front and center.

Nobody cares about this dumpster fire except us and the backers. We're the last gawkers watching this circus freak show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Scruffpuff posted:

That's the odd thing that the YouTube videos don't get across. For every 10 minutes of gameplay you see, there are around 10 hours of hangs, crashes, and glitches sitting on the cutting room floor right next to Sandi's movie footage.

How little you hear about that is a big clue into the remaining backer base - it's pretty much distilled down to diehards that will never find fault and are assisting CIG in misrepresenting the state of the game. There are no more casual fans. If there were, the inherent awfulness and instability of the game would be front and center.

Nobody cares about this dumpster fire except us and the backers. We're the last gawkers watching this circus freak show.

Star Citizen is basically Chris Roberts showing us that Making Movies is just hard.