Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Field Mousepad posted:

Man so many places I love are not gonna survive this

Don't worry, all the chain microwave dinner restaurants with toxic atmospheres are waiting to buy up all the reduced priced places next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Can't wait for the Franchise Wars and then every restaurant is Taco Bell

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
It's all Applebees from here on out :smith:

I'm glad I'm an almost chef so I can cook at home

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Field Mousepad posted:

It's all Applebees from here on out :smith:

I'm glad I'm an almost chef so I can cook at home

An almost chef? We can hire you at $10 for the line. Get your plastic apron on, you can start in dish.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mike the TV posted:

An almost chef? We can hire you at $10 for the line. Get your plastic apron on, you can start in dish.

You forgot the "Split shifts only for now, 10AM-2:30PM, 5:30PM-close" addition to that.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Only if I can help on prep and jump on line when they get hit and let the dishes back up and then get yelled at.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Do restaurants actually do the whole stab-and-chop humane lobster killing technique which seems obligatory for any YouTube video showing the preparation of lobster? My home-cook instincts say I would not want all those delicious head juices just leeching out into the cooking liquid.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
put em in the freezer for 20-30 mins before boiling

i'd say do both but you can bypass it if head juice is yr thing i guess

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

esperantinc posted:

Can't wait for the Franchise Wars and then every restaurant is Taco Bell

Could be worse, honestly.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Field Mousepad posted:

Man so many places I love are not gonna survive this

it's really unsettling. before all of this, in the greater los angeles area from santa monica to westminster to arcadia to van nuys, i knew at least one decent place to grab a bite in almost every neighborhood. part of me refuses to believe that they could all close, but who knows? it's honestly a scary feeling

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I'm worried about my favorite after work pint shop, but I'm not checking their facebook because looking forward to going back there is a major light at the end of the tunnel that I'd rather assume is still there than know the truth.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

thotsky posted:

Do restaurants actually do the whole stab-and-chop humane lobster killing technique which seems obligatory for any YouTube video showing the preparation of lobster? My home-cook instincts say I would not want all those delicious head juices just leeching out into the cooking liquid.

Our chef was doing it one day and splitting them in half, but the legs were still squirming.

Half of FOH didn't care and other half wouldn't walk into the kitchen until he was done prepping.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I let my prep guy do whatever he wanted and we usually had 10 or less at a time but he'd make an ice bath for them, then stab and boil.

I did make him name them though

he named every one Miguelito

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Quabzor posted:

Our chef was doing it one day and splitting them in half, but the legs were still squirming.

Half of FOH didn't care and other half wouldn't walk into the kitchen until he was done prepping.
I'm just a lurker, but lots of invertebrates have more decentralized nervous systems rather than everything stemming from a single brain, and lobsters are one of these. That's why I think just cutting off the head is a bit of a weird anthropomorphization, they don't have a brain, they have ganglia. A quick split down the middle should do it, though.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Quabzor posted:

Yea, for thermidor, there is no reason not to do the pierce the brain thing. When I make it, I ask any bystanders to tell me when they think the lobster is "dead" because every part of it will move. Including the claws, so keep those bands on lol. But really, it's bad enough that you'll need to skewer the tail to keep it straight etc.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's honestly a scary feeling

Remember just a scant couple months ago that someone (like myself) could pop in here, tell some horror story, and everyone would say "oh, just ditch that shithole; that's the good thing about the industry, you can get another job like that [snaps fingers]".

The good ol' days. :(

Human Tornada posted:

I'm worried about my favorite after work pint shop, but I'm not checking their facebook because looking forward to going back there is a major light at the end of the tunnel that I'd rather assume is still there than know the truth.

My favorite watering hole had a devastating fire March 2019. Finally re-opened, after massive clean-up and renovation, in January, only to get shut down again. I can't imagine they're gonna bounce back from that double-whammy unless the owners are sitting on Scrooge McDuck piles of cash.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Remember just a scant couple months ago that someone (like myself) could pop in here, tell some horror story, and everyone would say "oh, just ditch that shithole; that's the good thing about the industry, you can get another job like that [snaps fingers]".

The good ol' days. :(

I mean...you still can. It's just likely gonna be a job for Amazon which is an entirely different pile of bullshit (though no loving with your hours, that's one thing Amazon doesn't do).

But yeah, I don't think anyone here expected the thread title to refer to the entire industry.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alkydere posted:

I mean...you still can. It's just likely gonna be a job for Amazon which is an entirely different pile of bullshit (though no loving with your hours, that's one thing Amazon doesn't do).

But yeah, I don't think anyone here expected the thread title to refer to the entire industry.

Some places might recover, certain places are turbo hosed.

All the AYCE/buffet places? Toast. Korean BBQ? Shabu? Hot Pot? Japanese Steakhouse Benihana-style? Same. Any place that doesn't have a equivalent take out/delivery option of any kind, the places where the experience of the eating is half the fun aren't going to be able to reopen in any meaningful capacity and even when they give the "all clear" people will still avoid them just to be safe and get takeout from a traditional restaurant instead.

An Applebees or local breakfast diner can still set up and have people sitting 6 ft apart, take out/pick up orders going out and hopefully scrape by.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It really is a compounding the fact that wine and liquor is life. We can gently caress around selling to-go meals, but people buying cases of wine and to-go cocktails have come in so clutch for us breaking even. I don't think the liquor laws will ever be re-instated.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It really is a compounding the fact that wine and liquor is life. We can gently caress around selling to-go meals, but people buying cases of wine and to-go cocktails have come in so clutch for us breaking even. I don't think the liquor laws will ever be re-instated.

Ugh I wish this was a thing here. I'd kill for a brown butter old fashioned or some split base mezcal tiki poo poo without having to butter wash my own bourbon or make a bunch of syrups.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Babylon Astronaut posted:

every bar without food is going to close, full stop. any stragglers who own the building they're in are still going to sit vacant for months and months

the only restaurant in the part of town i'm in that reopened their dining room has like 50 taps and they're allowed 6 4-tops with the new regulations. they're doomed.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SHVPS4DETH posted:

every bar without food is going to close, full stop. any stragglers who own the building they're in are still going to sit vacant for months and months

the only restaurant in the part of town i'm in that reopened their dining room has like 50 taps and they're allowed 6 4-tops with the new regulations. they're doomed.

There are at least a couple local no food bars that are doing togo cocktails and wine sales that are doing more than fine and are not worried about closing. There is a lot to be said for quality of an establishment and the local loyalty to it.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

There are at least a couple local no food bars that are doing togo cocktails and wine sales that are doing more than fine and are not worried about closing. There is a lot to be said for quality of an establishment and the local loyalty to it.

yeah i apologize for speaking in generalities. in omaha with the new rules you can’t sell a drink to someone if they don’t buy an entree first. bars are selling 6 packs for $6, and those places have kitchens; otherwise they’re closed or doing curbside package sales. all of the big draft bars have surely soaked a huge loss on those kegs they tapped in feb/march by now.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
A steakhouse near me lets you order $1 (actually good) draft beers with your to-go order. Otherwise they'll just have to dump it, and I'm sure they're just trying to recoup the keg fee. Keg beer does not last forever.

If you ever wanted to get a very cheap keg, now is the time to call around to desperate restaurants.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Mike the TV posted:

If you ever wanted to get a very cheap keg, now is the time to call around to desperate restaurants.

there is no way there isn’t a regulation they’d have to skirt to make that sale, and why would you want an already tapped keg?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SHVPS4DETH posted:

there is no way there isn’t a regulation they’d have to skirt to make that sale, and why would you want an already tapped keg?

Lots of places are relaxing regulations for the duration though?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

SHVPS4DETH posted:

16 states and territories have changed the regulations to allow bars & restaurants to sell alcohol to go.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

bloody ghost titty posted:

16 states and territories have changed the regulations to allow bars & restaurants to sell alcohol to go.

I’m pretty sure all of Canada is also allowing To go alcohol sales for now as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I wonder if the states that have recently allowed to go liquor sales are gonna try and take it back when we get closer to normal, and if they'll be able too. I don't see it happening, because even when restaurants are allowed to re-open to full capacity I'm betting take out orders are still going to be a much, much bigger portion of their revenue for a long time than in the past.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I wonder if the states that have recently allowed to go liquor sales are gonna try and take it back when we get closer to normal, and if they'll be able too. I don't see it happening, because even when restaurants are allowed to re-open to full capacity I'm betting take out orders are still going to be a much, much bigger portion of their revenue for a long time than in the past.

They need to get those quick seal lid machines you see at the boba places and then it can be like Starbucks but for alcohol.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008

pentyne posted:

They need to get those quick seal lid machines you see at the boba places and then it can be like Starbucks but for alcohol.

Realistically, this could be the biggest step towards pre-prohibition alcohol culture the country has taken in a long time. A bartender friend and I were discussing the possibility of operating an old-style dram shop, where liquor could be contactlessly sold at a window from an automated pouring device; arguably under current approaches in a lot of places, that could be made very workably legal. New Orleans and other locales have long shown the viability of relaxed public drinking laws. The largest question will be whether or not this current situation sees an increase in drunk driving stops and dram shop liability claims.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

bloody ghost titty posted:

they aren’t making the same profit as draft sales cmon

now they’re competing with grocery stores that isn’t the same thing at all

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SHVPS4DETH posted:

they aren’t making the same profit as draft sales cmon

now they’re competing with grocery stores that isn’t the same thing at all

They aren't really, unless you think selling soda to go was competing with grocery stores as well.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

They aren't really, unless you think selling soda to go was competing with grocery stores as well.

Eh, this is a hard one. Most people know that buying a soft drink with their pita or whatever is going to cost them an extra $1, and they're fine with that. But it's only $1. Now restaurants are going from selling $7 pints (or more, of craft beer, at least around here) to competing with actual liquor outlets that are $2.50/can in a 6-pack. So do you keep selling your beer for 3x the price and hope that makes up for lower sales, or do you drop your prices and hopefully get people to pick up a 6-pack with their takeout food? I dunno. I'm not sure there's an easy answer (there are places doing both of those options around me)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Naelyan posted:

Eh, this is a hard one. Most people know that buying a soft drink with their pita or whatever is going to cost them an extra $1, and they're fine with that. But it's only $1. Now restaurants are going from selling $7 pints (or more, of craft beer, at least around here) to competing with actual liquor outlets that are $2.50/can in a 6-pack. So do you keep selling your beer for 3x the price and hope that makes up for lower sales, or do you drop your prices and hopefully get people to pick up a 6-pack with their takeout food? I dunno. I'm not sure there's an easy answer (there are places doing both of those options around me)

I think a bit of a markup for a six pack to avoid making another stop is absolutely something people will pay for. I'd also pay 7 bucks for a togo pint assuming it was legal to drink it while going on my daily walk to help stave off cabin fever.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Naelyan posted:

Our local beer bar delivers growler swaps and drat do I love it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Our local beer bar delivers growler swaps and drat do I love it

They show up with a full and you give them an empty? Nice.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

SHVPS4DETH posted:

Who knows? If they're allowed to sell to-go now probably a lot of states didn't actually make anything specific enough to prohibit it. They already paid more in taxes for the keg than a consumer would pay for off-premise consumption anyway. They would effectively be stealing the metal keg itself as they don't own it and you probably won't return it, but you're more likely to get in trouble for stealing a blue pallet than a keg.

source: me, a guy who had a kegerator and was always scrounging for kegs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Naelyan posted:

One difference is that a lot of good beer is often available only on tap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

I think a bit of a markup for a six pack to avoid making another stop is absolutely something people will pay for. I'd also pay 7 bucks for a togo pint assuming it was legal to drink it while going on my daily walk to help stave off cabin fever.

i’ll admit i was thinking of a place here that’s selling like bottle pick 6 packs for $6 including like buds heavy and light (it’s smtg i drive past so i haven’t stared real close at it) which is absolutely competing with gas stations and grocery stores. my work is also liquidating beer and wine inventory for cheaper than what i’d pay at the craft beer store, but people aren’t buying much from what i’ve seen (namely inventory not changing) so as with most things rn it’s a weird mess and im only seeing what i see between my bed and work and an occasional grocery run.