Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Burt Sexual posted:

City's proclamation requiring face masks in stores and restaurants is amended after threats of violence https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/02/us/face-masks-stillwater-oklahoma-trnd/index.html

Nice to know that violence actually works to change things.
If you're white enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Also, DON'T loving TOUCH YOUR MASK OR FACE, THE MASK IS TO KEEP THE BAD OUT, TOUCHING YOUR FACE BRINGS THE BAD ONTO YOUR HANDS AND THEN ONTO YOUR FACE.

It also deforms the mask keeping it from sealing on your face correctly. I'm assuming you ever had a good seal in the first place.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Also, DON'T loving TOUCH YOUR MASK OR FACE, THE MASK IS TO KEEP THE BAD OUT, TOUCHING YOUR FACE BRINGS THE BAD ONTO YOUR HANDS AND THEN ONTO YOUR FACE.

Slapdash masks for the general public keep the bad sneezes and coughs in a bit, maybe (we hope)
Mostly they're a sign of solidarity, and an excuse for politicians to appear to have done something/anything by advocating or mandating them.

The masks that keep stuff out need a little exhaust vent if fitted proper and tight, or the wearer will faint before too long.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

People have always been a soap bubble skin of civility over a vast chasm of animalistic narcissism

I'm not sure why this is news to anyone

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

sauer kraut posted:

Mostly they're a sign of solidarity, and an excuse for politicians to appear to have done something/anything by advocating or mandating them.

nah even a fairly crappy cloth mask does a pretty good job of keeping your respiratory drops from flying out of your face, which is the main goal of the mandates.

it wont do much to stop the wearer from getting sick, but i think they are actually fairly effective at stopping the wearer from spreading virus

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

what if I print a mask that looks just like my lower face so I don't have to pull it aside and I sign something promising that I'm not using someone else's lower face to fool anyone

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

what if I print a mask that looks just like my lower face so I don't have to pull it aside and I sign something promising that I'm not using someone else's lower face to fool anyone

https://twitter.com/dinarosecima/status/1250909786822098947?s=19

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

sauer kraut posted:

Slapdash masks for the general public keep the bad sneezes and coughs in a bit, maybe (we hope)

At the very least they work a lot better than the people who just look down and sneeze, which is what a lot of people do if they're not forced to wear masks

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Tired:

Big Beef City posted:

Wired:

quote:

Scan and 3D print a mask of your entire face

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Earwicker posted:

nah even a fairly crappy cloth mask does a pretty good job of keeping your respiratory drops from flying out of your face, which is the main goal of the mandates.

it wont do much to stop the wearer from getting sick, but i think they are actually fairly effective at stopping the wearer from spreading virus

I can't believe that its May and people still think the masks are to keep them from getting sick and not for keeping their lung butter and other associated droplets from flying out of their mouth and nose into the air someone else is breathing.

Unless you have a custom fit medical mask or a good fitting industrial style respirator (and maybe a nice layer of Vaseline on the seal), don't expect your mask to protect you. Oh, and if you're driving around in your own personal vehicle alone with the windows up wearing a mask, I will point and laugh.

Thanks for bringing this up again as there has been some ridiculous mask chat the past couple days.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sir Not Appearing posted:

I can't believe that its May and people still think the masks are to keep them from getting sick and not for keeping their lung butter and other associated droplets from flying out of their mouth and nose into the air someone else is breathing.

Unless you have a custom fit medical mask or a good fitting industrial style respirator (and maybe a nice layer of Vaseline on the seal), don't expect your mask to protect you. Oh, and if you're driving around in your own personal vehicle alone with the windows up wearing a mask, I will point and laugh.

Thanks for bringing this up again as there has been some ridiculous mask chat the past couple days.

:chloe:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Please explain how well your cloth/paper mask is protecting you from others. I'd like to hear all about it. From the start, the reason various organizations have pushed masks is to protect everyone else from you, not vice versa.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Please explain how well your cloth/paper mask is protecting you from others. I'd like to hear all about it. From the start, the reason various organizations have pushed masks is to protect everyone else from you, not vice versa.

It’s almost like that still block your mouth and nose from large droplets or something wow crazy

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1256957565562486784

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

John_A_Tallon posted:

Nice to know that violence actually works to change things.
Not sure how you could ever possibly doubt this?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death (Walmart parking lot),

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

It’s almost like that still block your mouth and nose from large droplets or something wow crazy

If worn by properly maybe, but 95% of people don't even adjust them so there's no gaps or have a duck dynasty beard. I'll still trust an actual, properly fit N95 mask over some piece of duck cloth and elastic from Hobby Lobby. However, I'm still not going to wear it by myself in my own car.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

If worn by properly maybe, but 95% of people don't even adjust them so there's no gaps or have a duck dynasty beard. I'll still trust an actual, properly fit N95 mask over some piece of duck cloth and elastic from Hobby Lobby. However, I'm still not going to wear it by myself in my own car.

So we’re moving the goalposts now cool

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I wear an N95 with a close shave and have been fit tested please tell me how my mask isn't keeping me from getting sick. Don't touch the outside of your mask, don't touch your face.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

So we’re moving the goalposts now cool

hmmm no, i feel like most masks i see people wear are not adequate protection. don't you even need eye coverage to stop the particles from infecting you? i mean, this poo poo hangs around in the air for hours so any gap and you're gonna be breathing it in, and a homemade mask sure isn't going to stop anything.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I wear an N95 with a close shave and have been fit tested please tell me how my mask isn't keeping me from getting sick. Don't touch the outside of your mask, don't touch your face.

are you wearing goggles?

e: dont get me wrong please wear a mask, it obviously helps

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

hmmm no, i feel like most masks i see people wear are not adequate protection. don't you even need eye coverage to stop the particles from infecting you? i mean, this poo poo hangs around in the air for hours so any gap and you're gonna be breathing it in, and a homemade mask sure isn't going to stop anything.

are you wearing goggles?

You are right. This is a good post.

No one should be wearing a mask.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

hemale in pain posted:

are you wearing goggles?

You need goggles or a visor if someone is aerosolizing in front of you. Otherwise there's no evidence that aerosol suspension into your ocular mucous membranes is a source of transmission. Like, if you're putting a breathing tube into someone you should have goggles, or if they're coughing directly in your face, but a mask is going to do the lion's share of the work here.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I have no vent goggles yes

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

You are right. This is a good post.

No one should be wearing a mask.

you're dumb

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

It's almost like perfect doesn't have to be the enemy of good and these small interventions add up to a lower probability of transmission even if you don't adhere to them completely.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Why do you have n95 masks when nurses can't even get them

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You need goggles or a visor if someone is aerosolizing in front of you. Otherwise there's no evidence that aerosol suspension into your ocular mucous membranes is a source of transmission. Like, if you're putting a breathing tube into someone you should have goggles, or if they're coughing directly in your face, but a mask is going to do the lion's share of the work here.

yeah.. this is why i dont like going to supermarkets :ohdear:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hemale in pain posted:

hmmm no, i feel like most masks i see people wear are not adequate protection.

:thunk:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1256620085797675009

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1256413962075279363

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You sound reasonable. Close shave, properly fit real N95 mask and don't touch your face. That's how it's supposed to be done, but you'd be an exception to the rule around here. But do you wear it in your car?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

wow you're really winning this internet arguement by purposely misunderstanding and selectively quoting my posts. i take my hat off to you goonsir!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You sound reasonable. Close shave, properly fit real N95 mask and don't touch your face. That's how it's supposed to be done, but you'd be an exception to the rule around here. But do you wear it in your car?

Who gives a poo poo?

Like ideally you put the mask on when you leave the house and you don’t fuckin touch your face till you get home and properly dispose of the mask.

So yes you would wear it in the car because you don’t want to contaminate poo poo by taking it on and off.

Also who gives a poo poo if someone wears a mask in their car?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Charliegrs posted:

Why do you have n95 masks when nurses can't even get them
N95s are usually used for construction stuff. If you've ever done a DIY project involving sanding or painting, you probably have a couple old ones laying around. Nobody will take them because they're used.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

MarcusSA posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

Like ideally you put the mask on when you leave the house and you don’t fuckin touch your face till you get home and properly dispose of the mask.

So yes you would wear it in the car because you don’t want to contaminate poo poo by taking it on and off.

Also who gives a poo poo if someone wears a mask in their car?

It’s not worth it lol let em be stupid

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What do you mean "until"???

it's so amazing that this is the way they frame it when the real reason is white people instinctively being afraid of black people wearing masks.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Oh good, mask chat is back

:goonsay:

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

You're not the first person I've seen complaining about people wearing a mask in the car, and I have to ask why do you people care so much? I had to go out the other day and I made two stops, so I didn't bother taking my mask off in between stops because I didn't want to touch the mask more than necessary. why is this this a problem for you?

efb

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It's almost like perfect doesn't have to be the enemy of good and these small interventions add up to a lower probability of transmission even if you don't adhere to them completely.

i dont think anyone is saying you shouldn't wear a mask but i don't fancy people with a false sense of security getting close to me. half the time i'm already having to bike in the dirt because people won't move to the edge of the path.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Holy loving let's get this mask derail over with let's see what I get left in the bag -

Do rice and beans belong in a burrito ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

The Walrus posted:

it's so amazing that this is the way they frame it when the real reason is white people instinctively being afraid of black people wearing masks.

one could easily argue white people in masks are much more disconcerting historically