Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

SUNKOS posted:

Apparently Druckmann had people watching snuff videos as research. Don't know if true or not, it came up in conversation at ResetEra but is pretty :psyduck: if true.

https://kotaku.com/the-last-of-us-part-ii-s-violence-is-designed-to-be-rep-1826781044

quote:

“We’re making a game about the cycle of violence and we’re making a statement about violent actions and the impact they have on the character that’s committing them and on the people close to them,” he said. “And our whole approach is to say, ‘We want to treat this as realistically as possible.’ When you stab someone—if you watch reference videos, which we have, it’s gross and it’s messy and it’s not sanitized like you see in most movies and games. And we wanted to get the player to feel that.”

Neil Druckmann forcing his employees to watch ISIS beheading videos while he meditates in a zen garden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
thats bullshit because in the abby fight ellie at least got her jaw broken and dana got a loving bow in her stomach and at the end of the game they are both fine so tlou3 can be vengeance:revengeancer

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Bonaventure posted:

https://kotaku.com/the-last-of-us-part-ii-s-violence-is-designed-to-be-rep-1826781044

Neil Druckmann forcing his employees to watch ISIS beheading videos while he meditates in a zen garden

This is exactly why I think the game's depictions of violence are going to be gratuitous as hell. NPCs and enemies getting brutalized isn't sanitized, but whenever the player character is attacked it is sanitized. Watch the E3 trailer that has Ellie stealthing around for 10 minutes. She gets shot with a rifle, stabbed (I think), thrown through plate glass, and hit at full force with a gigantic hammer. At most you get a brief animation of her reacting to these injuries and some wincing from the voice actor, then she's right back to running full speed, hopping over cover, firing arrows, etc. The game isn't committed to having violence even semi-realistically impact the player character so the whole thing comes across as a gross power fantasy.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
From PS4 thread:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Bonaventure posted:

Wanting your video game to be more realistic and gritty in it's violence and gore is the most sheltered white privilege poo poo.

Actually that's not true. Making your employees watch that traumatizing poo poo in order to make your meaningless video game is.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Wanting your video game to be more realistic and gritty in it's violence and gore is the most sheltered white privilege poo poo.

Actually that's not true. Making your employees watch that traumatizing poo poo in order to make your meaningless video game is.

loving kids and their loving video games, GET A REAL JOB LOSERS!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

Can't speak for anyone else but for me personally gender is irrelevant and I'm wondering how anyone can have that physique in the world of TLOU. No other character is built like that and it makes sense as to why, there's very limited supplies that people literally scavenge for and the only bulk you see is from protective armor being worn. Aside from that we don't see any buff characters which makes a lot of sense, and in some cases (David and his crew that turned to cannibalism) you can see how gaunt they are.

Now we have this character who's ripped and she stands out like a sore thumb. Did she find a truck full of protein shakes that never expire and manage to hide them from her entire crew? How is anyone maintaining a physique like that in the world of The Last of Us? Nothing wrong with buff female characters (I'm surprised they didn't give Lara Croft some muscle since it would make a lot of sense in the Tomb Raider games) but in TLOU it's odd when you know what she'd need daily to maintain a body like that. It's basically a "Muh immersion!" thing and maybe it's explained somewhere and we'll find out, but otherwise it's kinda comical. Wouldn't bat an eyelid if Nadine had this physique in Uncharted 4, but anyone in TLOU looking like that is unusual.

practically every guy in tlou is hollywood buff which, despite how normal it seems to us because of movies, is actually insanely buff

Ham posted:

loving kids and their loving video games, GET A REAL JOB LOSERS!

no one should have to watch irl gore videos to make a video game

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Stux posted:

no one should have to watch irl gore videos to make a video game

The same logic would then apply to movies that try to make a statement through violence, no? It's not strictly a videogame thing.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Stux posted:

practically every guy in tlou is hollywood buff which, despite how normal it seems to us because of movies, is actually insanely buff

Ok, but none of them are the loving Rock or John Cena, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MJBuddy posted:

Ok, but none of them are the loving Rock or John Cena, right?

Ham posted:

Oh, okay!

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lol, it owns that ~gritty realism~ extends only as far as lovingly handcrafted execution animations. the influence of isis videos really shows as you mash square to strangle ellie.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Neil is expanding the possibilities of video game storytelling by showing me a snuff film while I press F to Pay Respects.

Really makes me question world view.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Ah yes, the notoriously not at all story-focused The Last of Us where I shoot random man-shaped pixels with no rhyme or reason.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'd say that would have to be some sort of HR nightmare to force your employees to watch snuff videos but lol this is america employees have no rights

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Yeah, I mean, that's not John Cena.

E: and I don't mean literally. That's not a competing bodybuilder physique.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 3, 2020

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
also lol at needing a reference video to suss out what happens to someone when they get stabbed and NOT using Surviving Edged Weapons

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

MJBuddy posted:

Running out of space for these goalposts.

Also for all the myopic bullshit about not being able to make a statement through violence in art, Irreversible (the film) is one of the most effective and heartbraking films tackling rape in existence. Its visceral and realistic depiction of the act, its effects and its aftermath is the most effective way I've yet seen to communicate to people how traumatic such an event is. So yes, violence in art can and does send a message - and a rejection of that because "lol videogames serious business" is facile when its the most interactive storytelling medium there is.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ham posted:

Oh, okay!

more *clap* women *clap* killers *clap*

Inf Edit: Don't link to leaked content

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 4, 2020

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Lol that screenshot reminds me of how completely uninterested in playing this I am now. Though, more interested to see people play it and what they end up thinking about all of it.

props to ND for being brave enough to remind people that if a woman is strong and independent she’s gonna get the poo poo beaten out of her. Truly inspired timing coming up too.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 3, 2020

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Ham posted:

Also for all the myopic bullshit about not being able to make a statement through violence in art, Irreversible (the film) is one of the most effective and heartbraking films tackling rape in existence. Its visceral and realistic depiction of the act, its effects and its aftermath is the most effective way I've yet seen to communicate to people how traumatic such an event is. So yes, violence in art can and does send a message - and a rejection of that because "lol videogames serious business" is facile when its the most interactive storytelling medium there is.

The violence in TLOU is mandatory and required to be fun in order to keep the player engaged for 10+ hours. This reduces the effectiveness of any message of non-violence.

I honestly cannot think of a good movie that tries to be as fun as possible while showing realistic depictions of trauma.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Ham posted:

lol 1:30 hours of awful things happening to people with detailed rape and violence to say "rape is bad". really makes you think

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MJBuddy posted:

E: and I don't mean literally. That's not a competing bodybuilder physique.

You've moved the goalposts pretty far there. "This character is not literally John Cena so they are entirely plausible and 100% realistic for the post-apocalypse."

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

if this were a game about a cult of body builders I'd be on board in an instant

basically make the main bad guys pillar men and have them fight with their fists only

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Zeta Acosta posted:

lol 1:30 hours of awful things happening to people with detailed rape and violence to say "rape is bad". really makes you think

You say that as if the US doesn't have a significant part of its politicians and right-leaning folks downplaying rape and its effects all the time. Sound like a 90 minutes well-spent there doesn't it?

But maybe everyone is as enlightened as Zeta Acosta afterall.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The violence in TLOU is mandatory and required to be fun in order to keep the player engaged for 10+ hours. This reduces the effectiveness of any message of non-violence.

I honestly cannot think of a good movie that tries to be as fun as possible while showing realistic depictions of trauma.

This is a good argument and I'm interested in seeing how they balance that out in the game itself. I can't be sure this is what the game is going for or if it will succeed over the 20-25 hours, but it seems to me like it's trying to follow in something like Spec Ops' depiction of war and violence - trying to turn you off from it by making you face your actions.

Juxtapose this against something like the Mortal Kombat executions which also involve snuff film research but entirely for shlock and "cool" purposes - you can see how the intent differs wildly there.

MK Fatality poo poo -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bqaSMcxNHM

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

You've moved the goalposts pretty far there. "This character is not literally John Cena so they are entirely plausible and 100% realistic for the post-apocalypse."

That guys about as built as the (fittest) folks at my local gym. It's impressive. It's not world competitive bodybuilder.

It's not normal within the range of physiques the game has presented - especially for the female characters they've presented. That doesn't mean anything other than it probably means something. Characters, and especially protagonists, don't accidently become huge outliers. So like, we'll see what they have planned for that? I'm afraid it's just going to be "every time I got mad I lifted a weight, and my strength is an embodiment of my anger" but beyond that I'm fine waiting to actually see the story they want to tell.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Shes a christian cultist or something right, maybe she goes to the Lord’s Gym

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Ham posted:

You say that as if the US doesn't have a significant part of its politicians and right-leaning folks downplaying rape and its effects all the time. Sound like a 90 minutes well-spent there doesn't it?

But maybe everyone is as enlightened as Zeta Acosta afterall.

if they didn't think rape was bad before I highly doubt a 90 minute snuff film would change their minds

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
lets show a man beating another to death with a fire extinguisher, what themes gaspar noe is trying to convey here? i dont get it

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

if they didn't think rape was bad before I highly doubt a 90 minute snuff film would change their minds

Not to try to defend the other one's point, and not trying either to say that Neil Drukman isn't high on his own farts, but it's good to remember regularly that bad things are bad, and, for example, a little Come And See, or Night And Fog if you're not feeling too fictional, helps reinforce the proper feelings one should have towards nazis.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Peacoffee posted:

Shes a christian cultist or something right, maybe she goes to the Lord’s Gym

Taking the "My body is my temple" mantra to extremes

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ham posted:

The same logic would then apply to movies that try to make a statement through violence, no? It's not strictly a videogame thing.

yes no one should have to watch real actual gore to make violent media

MJBuddy posted:

That guys about as built as the (fittest) folks at my local gym. It's impressive. It's not world competitive bodybuilder.

It's not normal within the range of physiques the game has presented - especially for the female characters they've presented. That doesn't mean anything other than it probably means something. Characters, and especially protagonists, don't accidently become huge outliers. So like, we'll see what they have planned for that? I'm afraid it's just going to be "every time I got mad I lifted a weight, and my strength is an embodiment of my anger" but beyond that I'm fine waiting to actually see the story they want to tell.

how much exercise and calories do you think the fittest guy at your gym require to maintain? we never question insanely fit and buff guys in these settings because its normalised because every actor in an action film or game is extremely fit by default.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Cnidaria posted:

if this were a game about a cult of body builders I'd be on board in an instant

basically make the main bad guys pillar men and have them fight with their fists only

Have you played LISA? :v:

CharlestonJew posted:

I'd say that would have to be some sort of HR nightmare to force your employees to watch snuff videos but lol this is america employees have no rights

I'm sure ND would never make employees watch snuff videos.

Contractors, on the other hand. Now we're talking! :haw:

Zeta Acosta posted:

So you're saying things like movies with an anti-war message are dumb because everyone knows war is bad?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 3, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Look guys, it has nothing to do with Abby being female, now read these six paragraphs about how unrealistic Abby is

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Didn't the first last of us sell DLC executions, lol

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Stux posted:

That's their own creative prerogative really.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

one wonders if they knew abby would provoke these kinds of lasting discussions and that's why she's like that

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Can you really call it a 'lasting discussion' when the game isn't even out yet?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Stux posted:

If you're having to do research on how gore looks, so would 90% of your audience. Meaning you can fake it and the impact would be the same since what matters is how it's presented not how mechanically accurate it is. Like the research they should have been doing is talking to film effects guys for tips.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Ham posted:

That's their own creative prerogative really.

Just like crunch is their creative prerogative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cuntellectual posted:

Didn't the first last of us sell DLC executions, lol

Yes.

Getting all the ones in this video would be $10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE1YtrIRZuc