Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

scrumptious crunchy salty fibrous little bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I've started steaming my tortillas for burritos and it's changed my world. grill them shut when you're done putting the goods inside and it's like your house is a Taco Bell.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Pasta Primavera tonight

that looks delicious

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

How long does it take them to grow that big from seed?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

TheDon01 posted:

Are there any must have cookbooks for an instant pot?

The more ethnic the better, I've been really diggin a lot of eastern european and indian food lately

yes. the Mediterranean one from America’s test kitchen. so far, winners have been:

Jordanian Mansaf
Freekeh
Greek yogurt chicken
paella

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

ryanrs posted:

How long does it take them to grow that big from seed?

i think those were at about three weeks, but you can start eating the mustards in earnest in two (and little microgreens in as little as a week as you thin them out)

the beets grow a little slower and now look like this:

while the mustard greens all got eaten with eggs like this:

and a new batch was started three days ago:

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

You know the grocery situation is bad when you're coveting another goon's sprouts.

This morning I made a pot of beans with my last carrot.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

after a couple attempts i finally managed to get pizza dough to turn out with sourdough starter

recipe for the dough is 904g flour, 16g sugar, 27g salt, 632g lukewarm water, 144g olive oil... to get the sourdough starter to work i added all the water, all the sugar, 200g of the flour and sourdough starter to a container, mixed it up to make a slurry, let it sit for 2 hours before adding the rest of the flour and other ingredients, mix with a spatula until everything is incorporated, let it sit until it doubles in size, which took like 6 loving hours, then put it in the fridge until the next day because this poo poo needs to be cold to be usable

get everything prepped and ready to go before you pull the dough out of the fridge... you'll need a bowl of flour, something to cut a chunk of dough out of the container, a flour-dusted surface to roll the dough out on, a rolling pin or wine bottle or whatever, and something to cook the pizza on

get your toppings ready, today i made pineapple (gently caress you joe pesci) and cheese with marinara, ham and pineapple with bbq sauce, and salami, bell pepper, mushrooms and olives with marinara, for cheese i used straight mozzarella, if you want to fancy it up with parmesan or whatever go for it... why yes, i do shop at costco

get your oven preheated to 450 then pull out the dough... cut a chunk out and drop it directly into the bowl of flour, i use a bench scraper to cut and a butter knife to drop it in... roll the dough around in the flour until it's coated and form a ball, you will need to keep dusting with flour because the dough is very sticky, flatten it by hand on a floured surface then roll it out from the center to the edge until it's maybe 1/4" thick, i make holes in the crust with a docker, you can use a fork, or nothing if you don't mind bubbles shoving cheese and toppings off the pizza, roll the crust onto the rolling pin then unroll it onto a greased pizza screen

apply sauce with the back of a spoon, moz your pie and put your toppings on... don't go all loving crazy because your oven doesn't get as hot as a commercial oven and it will be doughy in the middle if you load it up with a shitload of stuff

cook until the crust turns brown then rotate it 180 degrees and cook until it looks like it's about to burn... pull it out and let it rest for a couple minutes before slicing, don't tip yourself like the rear end in a top hat you are

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

that's a fantastic looking pie, nice job!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

nice pizza! i'm envious because my lunch is

a salad of tender beet greens, arugula, goat cheese and walnuts, with an aged balsamic vinaigrette

which, while very nice, is not very filling. might have to follow up with a hot dog or something

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

my brekky/lunch today was a gouda grilled cheese with homemade sourdough bread.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

this looks like it was delicious

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

ankh ankh

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

i smoked a beef rib roast for easter, saved the tips and ends and froze them with the intent to make chili... i would normally make either a vegan chili or meat chili but in light of meat shortages and beanchat i decided to do a hybrid version with a little meat with a lot of flavor

my every day carry

soaked great northern beans in the crockpot, bell peppers, anaheim peppers, onions, some leftover already chopped onions and peppers, smoked tips and ends, dried ancho and chipotle peppers, california bay, black pepper, cumin, coriander, oregano, annatto, epazote, smoked paprika, canned diced tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, chicken stock, the cheapest boxwine cab sav

toasted the pepper, cumin, coriander, annatto then ground them with the mortar and pestle, added the oregano, epazote and smoked paprika to the mortar... toasted the dried chilies, removed stems, chopped roughly and tossed them in a blender

chopped the fresh peppers and smoked tips and added them to the crockpot

chopped the onions and sauteed them in olive oil for a bit before adding garlic, sauteed a little more then added spice mix from the mortar and cooked it down for a minute before adding wine, while that's reducing i poured some chicken stock into the blender with the dried chilies and blitzed the poo poo out of it, dumped it into the pot using the remaining chicken stock to rinse the chilies out of the blender, added tomatoes and tomato paste, and the bay... cook it until everything looks well incorporated then pour it into the crockpot

-~= 6 to 12 hours later =~-

add some chopped cilantro, some acid, ideally lime juice but i used apple cider vinegar, add fresh ground pepper, add salt if needed... used a canning funnel to load up mason jars

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

No bread? No problem, make arepas instead. Three ingredients: masarepa, salt, water. Kneed into a dough and then skinny puck shapes. Fry until crispy and let rest. Then fill with whatever you like.

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

No bread? No problem, make arepas instead. Three ingredients: masarepa, salt, water. Kneed into a dough and then skinny puck shapes. Fry until crispy and let rest. Then fill with whatever you like.

gently caress yes every country w/ strong bean culture has what it takes 2 survive in the plaguelands

the best i ever ate flat-poor was arepas w/beans pulled pork pickled onions pink sauce

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is very validating

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

the only valid cooking site recipes are the ones like the arepas recipes that just try to pretend that great depression corn pone recipes are valid by giving them new names and associating them with different cultures

twoday
May 4, 2005

I love books in general because I'm a huge nerd, but some of my favorite books are encyclopedic style cookbooks that try to encapsulate an entire cuisine in a book of several hundred pages. I have about 5 of these, and they are fantastic references which include not only a large number of recipes, but also lengthy explanations of cooking techniques and tools. But in general I hate cookbooks because most of them are poorly done and seem to be vanity projects for chefs rather than useful explanatory tools which explain anything useful.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

twoday posted:

I love books in general because I'm a huge nerd, but some of my favorite books are encyclopedic style cookbooks that try to encapsulate an entire cuisine in a book of several hundred pages. I have about 5 of these, and they are fantastic references which include not only a large number of recipes, but also lengthy explanations of cooking techniques and tools. But in general I hate cookbooks because most of them are poorly done and seem to be vanity projects for chefs rather than useful explanatory tools which explain anything useful.

Agreed about cookbooks, those tomes sound rad tho

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

twoday posted:

My mom has a large cooking encyclopedia set from the mid 70's that holds up surprisingly well as it focuses on basics and techniques, and contains mercifully few aspics and layered casseroles. It has everything from making candy, to meat prep, to mixed drinks and I've been slowly going through and experimenting now that I'm trying to cook more.

edit: Except for tonight, where I looked in my fridge, said "gently caress it". and decided to make a pound of french fries.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Propitious Jerk posted:

Except for tonight, where I looked in my fridge, said "gently caress it". and decided to make a pound of french fries.

i'm about to microwave some jack in the box i got at 3:30am last night

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

twoday posted:

What are the books you have that you like?

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I like having this on hand for reference. It's a thick one with zero fluff.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I spent yesterday making broth.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

What are the books you have that you like?

My favorite one of this sort is All Under Heaven, which is an overview of Chinese cuisine. That is a really daunting broad category of cooking that I knew very little about, and the book is arranged in a nice way, breaking down the whole of mainland China into various regions, and then giving recipes that highlight ingredients from those regions. It also explains cooking techniques, and has a nice glossary. It's about 500 pages long, and it won't make you an expert in Chinese cooking, but it's really informative and interesting and clearly written and a great place to start if you're clueless.

Another good one is Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art, which was used in culinary academies pretty often, and is an overview of Japanese cooking, which uses a lot of techniques that were unfamiliar to me, and explains them very clearly, and is also pretty encyclopedic and has a lot of recipes. After reading this one I got Flavor and Seasonings from the Japanese Culinary Academy, and it's a bit too advanced for my level of cooking, but it's really beautiful and full of information. Most of the book is only about how to make dashi, or broth, and every single element of this process is explained in excruciating detail.

Someone gave me a Dutch translation of a 15th century cookbook by Bartolomeo Scappi who was a chef for a pope during the Renaissance, and it is also pretty encyclopedic, but the recipes are very crazy and taste very unfamiliar to the modern palette, things like Roasted Porcupine. It's fun to read, but I haven't actually cooked much from it.

I bought a copy of Culinaria Russia at a museum one day because it seemed comprehensive and colorful, and full of interesting stories. It is not, as the title suggests, only Russian food, but also includes sections from other former Soviet countries (though most of it is about Russia). Out of these, I liked the Georgian recipes the most, and then I started looking into Georgian food more and found this website with lots of good recipes. I ended up buying a book called The Georgian Feast which was really unlike any cookbook I've ever seen. I have an older edition, and it was black and white, with no illustrations, shaped like a novel, and half of it was a really long introduction to the history of Georgia, and Georgian culture. It was very interesting, but the recipes weren't that great, and it seems that there are several better books out there. Georgian food owns.

I have a copy of the cookbook which was written by Salvador Dali. A vegetarian friend of mine bought it but was dismayed to find it contained very few vegetarian recipes and passed it on to me. It's full of weird artwork and very strange recipes, many of which contain ingredients like snails that are hard to find. I've cooked a couple of the recipes and they weren't bad at all, just kind of weird. Pretty much what you would expect, also a nice read.

And finally, this isn't a cookbook, but a collection of essays about the history of food called Food: A Culinary History. It's really, really interesting. There are essays about how it came to be that apes started using fire to cook, or what people ate during the Bronze Age. From glancing at the reviews for a second, I see that there is an essay in there about how social distancing in the time of the Black Death affected communal eating patterns and made people start eating in smaller groups, which I think I will look at when I find some time.

edit: Oh, and this one is in no way comprehensive, but Vietnamese Street Food is also a cookbook I really like. Everything I've cooked from there has been delicious.

twoday has issued a correction as of 22:11 on May 5, 2020

twoday
May 4, 2005

Mexico: The Cookbook and India: The Cookbook were also recommended to me as giant cooking tomes, but I haven't read them. They seemed cool when I looked at them in the bookstore. I just got a copy of Taste of Persia and I haven't tried anything yet, but it seems promising.

Similar to All Under Heaven, these seem to be giant cooking manuals that have been compiled by chefs and food scholars, meant to give a broad overview of a cuisine, explain the recipes and specialties of different regions, as well as the cooking techniques they use. They are all written in a way, such that it is assumed you know nothing about this cuisine, and it tries to give you as complete a picture of it as possible. I like these for various reasons, but one of these reasons is very practical - if you are cooking stuff from one area of the world, you will often use similar ingredients in many of those recipes. So one summer I cooked tons of Vietnamese food, and I always had a bunch of limes and fish sauce and rice oil on hand, and I was able to use it all. If you cook a one-off recipe that requires a bunch of ingredients you don't normally use, they often sit around and eventually spoil. But if you cook a lot of similar recipes you are better able to use them up, and you don't need to buy as much stuff which you don't use. One day when I have the motivation I will look through the Persia book and make a list of whatever obscure ingredients I see in a lot of recipes there, get them, and then spend a few weeks learning how to use them. There is a shop nearby that sells lots of this stuff and it seems fairly cheap, but I'm not gonna buy a jug of pomegranate molasses unless I'm confident that I will use it more than once. Another advantage of these giant tomes is that they contain a ton of recipes, and it's easy to find ones that don't require any hard-to-get ingredients. Except, perhaps, Japanese food. Japanese food uses a lot of ingredients very specific to Japanese food.

twoday has issued a correction as of 22:43 on May 5, 2020

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

twoday posted:

Mexico: The Cookbook and India: The Cookbook were also recommended to me as giant cooking tomes, but I haven't read them. They seemed cool when I looked at them in the bookstore. I just got a copy of Taste of Persia and I haven't tried anything yet, but it seems promising.

Similar to All Under Heaven, these seem to be giant cooking manuals that have been compiled by chefs and food scholars, meant to give a broad overview of a cuisine, explain the recipes and specialties of different regions, as well as the cooking techniques they use. They are all written in a way, such that it is assumed you know nothing about this cuisine, and it tries to give you as complete a picture of it as possible. I like these for various reasons, but one of these reasons is very practical - if you are cooking stuff from one area of the world, you will often use similar ingredients in many of those recipes. So one summer I cooked tons of Vietnamese food, and I always had a bunch of limes and fish sauce and rice oil on hand, and I was able to use it all. If you cook a one-off recipe that requires a bunch of ingredients you don't normally use, they often sit around and eventually spoil. But if you cook a lot of similar recipes you are better able to use them up, and you don't need to buy as much stuff which you don't use. One day when I have the motivation I will look through the Persia book and make a list of whatever obscure ingredients I see in a lot of recipes there, get them, and then spend a few weeks learning how to use them. There is a shop nearby that sells lots of this stuff and it seems fairly cheap, but I'm not gonna buy a jug of pomegranate molasses unless I'm confident that I will use it more than once. Another advantage of these giant tomes is that they contain a ton of recipes, and it's easy to find ones that don't require any hard-to-get ingredients. Except, perhaps, Japanese food. Japanese food uses a lot of ingredients very specific to Japanese food.

You will find many uses for pomegranate molasses. It's really good.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

joy of cooking has always been a solid source for reference recipes like sauces and baked goods, outside of that i don't use it much, have a recent copy but i was given a 1958 copy and some of the recipes are pretty lol... the flavor bible is a handy reference book that lists flavor affinities for each ingredient and as im usually improvising with ingredients on hand it helps me come up with ideas... aside from that i view most recipes as recommended parts lists and proportions

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
was talking to *my wife* about using cheese balls in a breading mixture and she suggested using them as salad croutons, looks like a certain lucky lady is getting it tonight

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
who’s got a favorite white wine/butter pasta recipe? something light?

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I sautee chopped clams in olive oil and crushed garlic and then add a dollop of butter and a bunch of white wine and salt and pepper, then keep tasting until the wine fully reduces

E: and if there's leftover tomato sauce, I add that too with red pepper flakes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jesus christ brisket is so much effort

three more hours

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i say swears online posted:

jesus christ brisket is so much effort

three more hours

yeah it only makes sense if youre gonna be hanging out outside all day anyways

i smoked some ribs the other day and they were pretty good, only took 6 hours lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I did teriyaki chicken thighs on my bbq (using a baking steel as a grilltop) and served them over a bed of rice w/ steamed broccoli

hell yeah

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/SebGorka/status/1259335299034906624

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/minillustration/status/1259034114935492609

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

twoday posted:

many cuisines around the world were designed to be economical in being as delicious with as little as possible. if you are lucky enough to live in an area that still produces food, you can probably eat very well with little tinkering.