Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

And yet none of you shout out to SWAT, R6, or Ghost Recon! For shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I went absolutely ape at PC Gamer when they gave Ghost Recon Game of the Year over Max Payne. The absolutely lunacy.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

al-azad posted:

And yet none of you shout out to SWAT, R6, or Ghost Recon! For shame.

Ok ok

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Just FYI, I'm not posting these lists to steal anyone's thunder. We're talking about a very bountiful decade for first person shooters and a lot of games deserve a mention, for better or worse!

So, 2002:
America's Army
Battlefield 1942
Command & Conquer: Renegade
Global Operations (aka CS + TFC in one game. Teenage me spend two nights playing the hell out of the MP demo... and then I never heard from it again)
Gore: Ultimate Soldier (we discussed this a couple months ago, I also only remember it because it had a MP demo)
Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter (had the honor of being the best video game that featured Henry Rollins until the release of Def Jam: Fight For NY in 2004)
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (PC)
Medal of Honor: Frontline (consoles)
Metroid Prime
Mobile Forces
No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way
Red Faction II
George Lucas Presents Star Wars: Dark Forces III: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix
Tactical Ops: Assault on Terror (aka CS for Unreal Tournament, clearly Infogrames wanted a taste of that tactilol shooter money)
TimeSplitters 2 (I played this at a friend's house a lot. The Snake mini-game, not the actual split-screen shooting :shobon:)
Unreal Tournament 2003 (released on 1 October 2002, they were going for the EA Sports approach)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 3, 2020

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
gently caress 2002 was such a great year.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Mierenneuker posted:

Just FYI, I'm not posting these lists to steal anyone's thunder. We're talking about a very bountiful decade for first person shooters and a lot of games deserve a mention, for better or worse!

So, 2002:
America's Army
Battlefield 1942
Command & Conquer: Renegade
Global Operations (aka CS + TFC in one game. Teenage me spend two nights playing the hell out of the MP demo... and then I never heard from it again)
Gore: Ultimate Soldier (we discussed this a couple months ago, I also only remember it because it had a MP demo)
Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter (had the honor of being the best video game that featured Henry Rollins until the release of Def Jam: Fight For NY in 2004)
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (PC)
Medal of Honor: Frontline (consoles)
Metroid Prime
Mobile Forces
No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way
Red Faction II
George Lucas Presents Star Wars: Dark Forces III: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix
Tactical Ops: Assault on Terror (aka CS for Unreal Tournament, clearly Infogrames wanted a taste of that tactilol shooter money)
TimeSplitters 2 (I played this at a friend's house a lot. The Snake mini-game, not the actual split-screen shooting :shobon:)
Unreal Tournament 2003 (released on 1 October 2002, they were going for the EA Sports approach)

I played such a huge amount of tactical ops, from one of the early mod versions to the retail release. Great mod imo. A bit less volatile compared to CS, so battles lasted a while longer, which I preferred.

BF 1942, MoH:AA, Metroid Prime, JK2.. drat good games, especially for the time.

fake edit: jesus Tactical Ops is still kicking, goddamn crazy people playing it ityool 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weeHGcf1xYA

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I'd give anything (capping out at £30) for a remastered Metroid Prime on PC.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Only tactical shooter I ever played was Ghost Recon and it’s expansions. And it was a fantastic game. I remember looking in on that franchise a few years ago and being disappointed with where they took the series.

Speaking of series, is there any online service that has all of the older Rainbow Six titles?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb8PQXPOkCc

Name a more iconic FPS game song that isn't doom music

Jehde fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 3, 2020

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I'd give anything (capping out at £30) for a remastered Metroid Prime on PC.

https://www.pcguide.com/news/fan-made-port-bringing-metroid-prime-over-to-pc/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMwqpL2_-LY

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Jehde posted:

Goddamn 1942 was so good I probably lost thousands of hours to that game and its mods over the years.

Too bad BF5 was such as colossal poo poo show.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

chaosapiant posted:

Only tactical shooter I ever played was Ghost Recon and it’s expansions. And it was a fantastic game. I remember looking in on that franchise a few years ago and being disappointed with where they took the series.

Speaking of series, is there any online service that has all of the older Rainbow Six titles?

Tom Clancy games = Ubi = Uplay

Browsing their store is a bitch because of the sheer amount of stuff for Rainbow Six: Siege, but it looks like they have:
Rainbow Six
Rainbow Six 3: Gold Edition
also
Rainbow Six: Lockdown
and Rainbow Six: Vegas 2

It's a very incomplete selection. They should let GOG handle Rogue Spear and all its expansions.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 3, 2020

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

well now that this is out in the open expect a C&D from Nintendo to kill it even though they took precautions

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Metroid Prime can be played on Dolphin Emulator with M+KB plus up res.

This video shows you how to install it and get it up and running.

https://youtu.be/1YFIm-O_YhA

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

No kidding. I don't even think there's some one person indie project on Steam and there's nearly one for any genre you can think of.

The only one I know of is Ready or Not, but it's still in development.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
the us army is at e3 this year

uh

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

No kidding. I don't even think there's some one person indie project on Steam and there's nearly one for any genre you can think of.

I want to say Signal Ops was an attempt at an indie tactical shooter but the result is an incredibly weird Team Fortress 2 meets Rainbow Six but you control every character simultaneously. It’s as weird and obtuse as it sounds.

ETPC posted:

the us army is at e3 this year

uh

The Taliban is on the run and our boys will be home by Christmas and then America will never have to worry about war in the Middle East again.

Samopsa posted:

I played such a huge amount of tactical ops, from one of the early mod versions to the retail release. Great mod imo. A bit less volatile compared to CS, so battles lasted a while longer, which I preferred.

BF 1942, MoH:AA, Metroid Prime, JK2.. drat good games, especially for the time.

fake edit: jesus Tactical Ops is still kicking, goddamn crazy people playing it ityool 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weeHGcf1xYA

Did they pitch u- the Quake 3 hit sound effect for this game?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i cant remember what timesplitters was ps2 that had the level editor but that game was the poo poo

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

al-azad posted:

Did they pitch u- the Quake 3 hit sound effect for this game?

a ton of the poo poo you hear are custom server mods, not standard. UT didn't come with a hit sound effect iirc, so a ton of servers nicked the Q3 sound.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

verbal enema posted:

i cant remember what timesplitters was ps2 that had the level editor but that game was the poo poo

The first one. I got a PS2 on launch day but not a memory card so my friends would come over and we’d whip up fresh levels to fight in. It was the poo poo.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

al-azad posted:

The first one. I got a PS2 on launch day but not a memory card so my friends would come over and we’d whip up fresh levels to fight in. It was the poo poo.

gently caress YEAH IT WAS

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jehde posted:

They have released how many BF:s by now? And not once has that first intro score ever been surpassed in spite of all the attempts and remixes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tippis posted:

They have released how many BF:s by now? And not once has that first intro score ever been surpassed in spite of all the attempts and remixes.

My favorite was Battlefield 3’s wet robot fart rendition and how proud EA was because it ended every single presentation.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

verbal enema posted:

All three of them and two of the three are good cool games.

Timesplitters 1 sucks.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jehde posted:

It's very good but it's really hard to outshine Metroid Prime for 2002 FPS music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42u0KB6f5eU

For all the FPS games that I love, retro and modern, Metroid Prime still might be my very favorite. That game was a loving masterpiece and is still pretty much untouched in the metroidvania genre.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Karasu Tengu posted:

All three of them and two of the three are good cool games.

Timesplitters 1 sucks.

Someone with no friends detected.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

verbal enema posted:

I think all three games had a level editor, though I only had the third game myself

Also anyone else here ever play Cold Winter?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

al-azad posted:

My favorite was Battlefield 3’s wet robot fart rendition and how proud EA was because it ended every single presentation.

I know, right? What the gently caress was that?

Just finished slogging through Dark Dome, I'm really glad I'm using Final Doomer because that would have sucked even harder with vanilla weapons. I also apparently missed the page to do it on, this should have been one back.

Edit: Eh, I guess the version I'm playing was released in 2002, I'm good.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RyokoTK posted:

It's very good but it's really hard to outshine Metroid Prime for 2002 FPS music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42u0KB6f5eU

For all the FPS games that I love, retro and modern, Metroid Prime still might be my very favorite. That game was a loving masterpiece and is still pretty much untouched in the metroidvania genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VQWGGKABqc

The game's got some minor foibles, but it's staggering how goddamn well they adapted Metroid to an FPS on the first try.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MMMMMISTER CROW

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Metroid Prime was a Helluva Classic FPS. drat

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Metroid Prime was good but Metroid Prime ported to Wii with motion controls added was on another level

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

al-azad posted:

You were almost legally required to have a dubstep version of your main theme in 2011.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
One of my favorite aspects of Metroid Prime is how 98% of the soundtrack are all samples from mix CDs. Kenji Yamamoto just knew how to mix the hell out of some sound, man. What a soundtrack. Those metallic hits and alien whistles chef kiss

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Metroid Prime feels like what I imagined future games would be back in the 80s. It's like it dropped in from an alternate universe where big budget games were still abstract and weird instead of becoming gradually more cinematic or cartoonist.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Metroid Prime was lots of fun and I wished I liked any other metroid game half as much.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I know Metroid Prime 4 is coming but if Nintendo gives me an HD remake of the Metroid Prime Trilogy in one package I will be very, very happy.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
The motion controls implemented in the Prime Trilogy release always felt completely awful to me. Aiming is neat, but entirely unneeded for most of the game since enemies rarely have variable hitboxes. The lock-on system from the original lets you focus on movement while also having infinitely better beam/visor selection that doesn't interfere with combat. Prime 3 is even more egregious with the stupid slapped in motion control switches.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i never played any metroid so this page can eat poo poo

I did have the strategy guide to the snes game and let someone borrow it and i never saw it again so also gently caress Jared and his betrayal actions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BaconCopter posted:

The motion controls implemented in the Prime Trilogy release always felt completely awful to me. Aiming is neat, but entirely unneeded for most of the game since enemies rarely have variable hitboxes. The lock-on system from the original lets you focus on movement while also having infinitely better beam/visor selection that doesn't interfere with combat. Prime 3 is even more egregious with the stupid slapped in motion control switches.

Yeah. There was basically no time where I was like "oh, good aim glad I have this now" instead of "I really liked the simplicity of lock on to the foe then manage footwork"