Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Please explain how well your cloth/paper mask is protecting you from others. I'd like to hear all about it. From the start, the reason various organizations have pushed masks is to protect everyone else from you, not vice versa.

Cheap cloth and paper masks are far better than nothing at all and we have a massive respirator/medical mask shortage in America, so you are loving stupid.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Given how well our history books cover Korea and on, lol if you think this is getting more than a paragraph with a single sentence stating there was some controversy. 90% of classes won't cover far enough into the book to read it.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Meanwhile in Russia...
https://twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/1257013566663806976?s=19

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

That wasn’t on the list of symptoms

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Noblesse Obliged posted:

That wasn’t on the list of symptoms

In Russia it is, listed as “Spontaneous Defenestration”.

See also, “autostrangulation” “mysterious gunshot” and “goes off to the woods for no reason whatsoever never to return”

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sauer kraut posted:

Slapdash masks for the general public keep the bad sneezes and coughs in a bit, maybe (we hope)
Mostly they're a sign of solidarity, and an excuse for politicians to appear to have done something/anything by advocating or mandating them.

The masks that keep stuff out need a little exhaust vent if fitted proper and tight, or the wearer will faint before too long.

No they aren't, don't say stupid poo poo like this.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

In Russia it is, listed as “Spontaneous Defenestration”.

its a very common disease among journalists but there was a previous wave that affected healthcare workers in 1951-53

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Such is life

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

sauer kraut posted:

Slapdash masks for the general public keep the bad sneezes and coughs in a bit, maybe (we hope)

This is false.

quote:

Mostly they're a sign of solidarity, and an excuse for politicians to appear to have done something/anything by advocating or mandating them.

This is opinion.

quote:

The masks that keep stuff out need a little exhaust vent if fitted proper and tight, or the wearer will faint before too long.

This is also false.

Instead of making posts like this have you considered, as an alternative, shutting the gently caress up?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

bird with big dick posted:

It means 1/3 of the showers in my house won't work

Guillotine

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sir Not Appearing posted:

if you're driving around in your own personal vehicle alone with the windows up wearing a mask, I will point and laugh.

Duck and Cover posted:

How about not being an rear end in a top hat to people who are wearing masks? Maybe the person has another stop and doesn't want to take the risks associated with putting on and off the mask? Nah that can't be!

Gonna need a response on this one, Sir Not Appearing.

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

Splicer posted:

yoloer420 felt very sick and went to the doctor, as they should, the doctor decided their symptoms merited a test for covid 19, as per their training, they were tested, as they should have been, and came back negative, which is good! They were then told that since it's not covid they could go do whatever, which yoloer420 felt was irresponsible since they're still sick with a probably contagious, debilitating illness, even though it's not the real big illness everyone is worried about right now.

I made a not very funny post where I played the part of the doctor telling them this in order to emphasise the short sightedness of the doctor's advice or lack thereof, given that a during pandemic with flu like symptoms that preys on those with compromised immune systems was an especially bad time to be spreading an illness with similar symptoms (as this would lead to more situations like yoloer420's, causing additional stress to the victim and consuming limited pandemic response resources unnecessarily) and debilitating effects (leaving people more vulnerable to the actual pandemic, never mind yoloer420's own increased risk should they contract covid 19 on top of their existing illness). The quotation marks around my post were to indicate that I was playing a part.

You then replied asking questions in a manner that indicated that you felt I was criticising yoloer420 in some manner, when nothing could be further from the truth. Possibly you interpreted the quotation marks as me mimicking yoloer420 as opposed to the doctor, an understandable mistake in general but something I would personally consider an odd one given the context of the respective posts. I am however open to correction on this. I then both answered your questions at face value and also mocked you for misunderstanding my post. You continued to misinterpret my post as a criticism of yoloer420, despite yoloer420 explicitly stating that they were going to do the exact opposite of my exaggerated description in the post I was initially replying to. Then I spent nearly 20 minutes of a beautiful summer day typing all of this out on my phone. I think it's pretty clear who won THIS round :smug:

I like you. :v:

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
I can't believe these clumsy doctors.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

In Russia, window shuts you (up, permanently)

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Splicer posted:

:words: I think it's pretty clear who won THIS round :smug:

This post made me extremely happy. Thanks pal!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He’s too busy practicing his laughing face. Because everything is just so funny nowadays you see.

60000 dead? Sir Not Appearing has earned the right to laugh.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Quote is not edit!

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

postmodifier posted:

Here's a cool wrinkle to mask-chat: I am very profoundly, nearly close to stone deaf, and have been for the majority of my life. I also currently work in a public-facing job. With incredibly few exceptions, I cannot normally hear a single person, and rely primarily on speechreading, which is next to impossible if someone is wearing a mask.

Guess, percentage-wise, how many people get indignant as gently caress when I have to explain to them that I cannot understand them unless I can see their mouth.

Super fun, secondary guess, how many of those same people will immediately pull down their mask to talk to the person that I get to interpret for me?

The closer to 100% you guess, the better you'll do on both counts!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nah we don’t

schmug
May 20, 2007

n/m i dont read so good

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

John_A_Tallon posted:

There were two sentences in my post.
The second in the context of the first, in context of the very limited threatening behavior by some (admittedly assumed white) people described in the article, conveys a message about racism being depressingly alive and well. The amount of threatening and confrontational behavior referred to in the article would have gotten people of color arrested in many jurisdictions.

I think we're all well aware of racism, and how it applies to law enforcement.
My point is that violence is one of the primary drivers of political change in all directions throughout history, and that successfully using violence is not about being white, it's about being in a position of strength.
The pandemic has shown the current government to be pathetically inept, this is an opportunity to create a better organised and stronger alternative power structure.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xaintrailles posted:

I think we're all well aware of racism, and how it applies to law enforcement.
My point is that violence is one of the primary drivers of political change in all directions throughout history, and that successfully using violence is not about being white, it's about being in a position of strength.
The pandemic has shown the current government to be pathetically inept, this is an opportunity to create a better organised and stronger alternative power structure.

The pandemic is killing the government's enemies wholesale lmao

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Dotard is speaking in front of a twenty foot statue of honest Abe Lincoln. For two hours? Why

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Me last year: Idiocracy was not supposed to be a documentary
Me this year: 1984 was not supposed to be a documentary
Me next year?: Half life 2 was not supposed to be a documentary

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Maybe this will finally end South Park, because how could you parody THIS?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Polio Vax Scene posted:

And just like Half Life 2 we will wait for an ending that never comes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Baller Time posted:

Didn’t they already vow to not parody the current administration because they’re cowardly libertarians who don’t want to piss off their fans by making fun of 45 and his supporters?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Baller Time posted:

The mid act twist is the disease actually only kills white people even though everyone gets it, cut to concentration camps where Randy is shoving in Token's family yelling about how it's for the good of society.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nah, south park isn't going anywhere. It's a cash cow for comedy central like the simpsons is to Fox.

Towelie is the best character on the show.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

The one time I went out last month I put my mask on before I left the house and wore it in the car and made sure not to touch my face. I'll probably have to head out to the pharmacy in a few days again and I'm going to do the same thing. Good to know some random chud might be laughing at me. (If I'm not mistaken it's also mandatory to wear masks out to grocery stores etc in my state so uh?)

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Can I still pick my boogers? I'm not going to eat them if that matters.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Polio Vax Scene posted:

arfjason where you at

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

Can I still pick my boogers? I'm not going to eat them if that matters.

Out of solidarity for healthcare workers, you're only allowed to pick your boogers if you also eat them

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Burt Sexual posted:

Dotard is speaking in front of a twenty foot statue of honest Abe Lincoln. For two hours? Why

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1256711660787695616

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Clocks posted:

The one time I went out last month I put my mask on before I left the house and wore it in the car and made sure not to touch my face. I'll probably have to head out to the pharmacy in a few days again and I'm going to do the same thing. Good to know some random chud might be laughing at me. (If I'm not mistaken it's also mandatory to wear masks out to grocery stores etc in my state so uh?)

I get pills-by-mail (prescription)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

I get pills-by-mail (prescription)

How does the post office deliver to you on your cruise ship?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I had to run to a couple stores today and saw like 20 people with masks over their mouths but not their noses. Basically advertising that they're mouth breathers.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I had to run to a couple stores today and saw like 20 people with masks over their mouths but not their noses. Basically advertising that they're mouth breathers.

Breathing into the mask all day is hot and uncomfortable
Remember personal comfort is paramount

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Derpies posted:

Holy loving let's get this mask derail over with let's see what I get left in the bag -

Do rice and beans belong in a burrito ?

I’m just going to throw this hot potato in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

dunk the police

A month ago, before my parents started really taking it seriously, I was talking to them and predicted that by the time this all is over, pretty much everyone's going to know someone who died or had life changing complications from it. Yesterday, I found out that a high school friend's mother died from the 'rona last week. I didn't know her mom well, but she gave me a ride home from school a couple times.

It is INFURIATING to see how casual some of our friends and acquaintances are about this whole thing.