Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Fritz the Horse posted:

Just had a very cool conversation with my mom where she reasoned that #MeToo has gone too far and we should reconsider it, maybe we are holding politicians to too high of a standard. #MeToo forced Franken out but what he did was pretty minor, meanwhile we didn't succeed in stopping Kavanaugh's confirmation.

Maybe we should let politicians do just a little sexual assault, as a treat.
Patriarchy is held up so firmly because so many women support it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Chuds: Watch out cops! You're standing in the way of are freedumbs!

Also Chuds: Blue lives matter!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

SocketWrench posted:

I am shocked...SHOCKED that this program didn't work out. I am in total amazement

If only there was an example of a program meant to solve these issues that works: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-time_working

Of course the goal isn't to solve these issues, but to shovel money into your own pockets.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

StratGoatCom posted:

Biden is the final victory of Trumpism, said it once, I'll say it again, no matter how this election ends.

I never thought about it that way. Regardless of if Biden wins or loses a rapist is going to be president and the poor are going to be even worse off. Stupid grifters will be running the country with the goal of making the rich even more rich and powerful all the while spreading american imperialism around the world like Covid-19 through an Oregonian nursing home. We are pretty well hosed either way when climate change really hits especially because with either choice we are choosing not to do much of anything but let wealth people gather up and hoard the resources while the rest of us stand around looking like morons trying to figure out what sex pest is least bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

not surprised. graham is doubly down stupidly hard to kiss trumps rear end and that pisses away anyone that isnt a chud. plus its clear to anyone now that he is an empty dead eyed gently caress.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Look at all those economically anxious people

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

StratGoatCom posted:

Biden is the final victory of Trumpism, said it once, I'll say it again, no matter how this election ends.

Trump is the victory of Trumpism, Biden is like Trump only in that he's a result of our society.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

StratGoatCom posted:

I don't think I agree that the final victory of Trumpism is Trump losing.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

This is loving stupid. The boater voting block.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Push El Burrito posted:

If they were black there would have already been tear gas in that crowd.

And over the next 3 months all the organizers will be randomly shot around town in mysterious circumstances. That's really the key part

E:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-ferguson-activist-deaths-black-lives-matter-20190317-story.html

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

olylifter posted:

Unexpected Zevon on a sunday afternoon here in the USPOL thread.

Helped make me smile after taking our dog out, while masked, to see at least 50 people out and about, well over half of them with no face covering. Currently in impotent rage spiral.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TwoDeer posted:

Helped make me smile after taking our dog out, while masked, to see at least 50 people out and about, well over half of them with no face covering. Currently in impotent rage spiral.

I had some guy give me the finger for wearing a mask yesterday. It’s getting absorbed into the tedious reactionary culture war.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I had some guy give me the finger for wearing a mask yesterday. It’s getting absorbed into the tedious reactionary culture war.

Cough on them next time.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Cough on them next time.
Or take off your mask and cough as hard as possible

(may not result in the person being reduced to a skeleton)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

RBA Starblade posted:

Cough on them next time.

That's a terroristic threat. They'll be quick to report it I promise you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Taerkar posted:

That's a terroristic threat. They'll be quick to report it I promise you.

The first time someone coughs on a cop as a joke or because they were just coughing for real, there will be a massacre.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

this confirms my assumption that anyone who can afford a cabin and or a big new boat like that must be a boomer chud

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think I agree that the final victory of Trumpism is Trump losing.

The fact that the dems are falling behind a loving sex monster and pulling out Kavanagh defenses for him? That's a pretty big sign of the damage he did becoming permanent.

It's also reference to a thatcher quote on Blair.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

StratGoatCom posted:

The fact that the dems are falling behind a loving sex monster and pulling out Kavanagh defenses for him? That's a pretty big sign of the damage he did becoming permanent.

It's also reference to a thatcher quote on Blair.

Uh technically then it would be the final victory of Clintonism since he was Democratic Sexmonster number 1(or maybe that was JFK) :v:

Also to hell with what Margaret Thatcher thinks.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

That the Tories managed to turn the labour party into a lesser version of themselves is an undeniable victory.

quote:

I never thought about it that way. Regardless of if Biden wins or loses a rapist is going to be president and the poor are going to be even worse off. Stupid grifters will be running the country with the goal of making the rich even more rich and powerful all the while spreading american imperialism around the world like Covid-19 through an Oregonian nursing home. We are pretty well hosed either way when climate change really hits especially because with either choice we are choosing not to do much of anything but let wealth people gather up and hoard the resources while the rest of us stand around looking like morons trying to figure out what sex pest is least bad.

The same is happening here

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Angry_Ed posted:

Uh technically then it would be the final victory of Clintonism since he was Democratic Sexmonster number 1(or maybe that was JFK) :v:

I believe that would be Jefferson, actually.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Angry_Ed posted:

Hopefully she's down there with her thoughts

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

I believe that would be Jefferson, actually.

Mmm, fair point.

StratGoatCom posted:

That the Tories managed to turn the labour party into a lesser version of themselves is an undeniable victory.

The same is happening her

It already happened here in 1992 so :shrug:

And I really don't ever hold stock in defeated opponents going "well you see actually we won because x,y, z"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Angry_Ed posted:

And I really don't ever hold stock in defeated opponents going "well you see actually we won because x,y, z"

I don't know if the Dems are going to win the White House and/or the Senate, but it seems like they're doing absolutely everything they can to lose on all levels. And I'm not just talking about Biden.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

StratGoatCom posted:

trump getting defeated by the vp of the previous president is stretching the definition of a trump victory beyond its breaking point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1257041820124680192

lol. this loving gaslighting bullshit.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

evilweasel posted:

trump getting defeated by the vp of the previous president is stretching the definition of a trump victory beyond its breaking point.

I'm reminded of one of the seminal studies on cults where they observed a doomsday cult before and after the day they predicted the world would end. Turns out that while a few left disillusioned, most just found ways to interpret the world not ending as actually greater evidence than ever that the world was going to end

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

evilweasel posted:

i think trumps probably gonna lose this election. obviously its early and stuff but trumps is being his own worst enemy especially during a loving plague that he clearly wants to pretend is over. plus a bunch of other reasons. i could be very wrong, but that hell bridge we will cross when we get there.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I'm reminded of one of the seminal studies on cults where they observed a doomsday cult before and after the day they predicted the world would end. Turns out that while a few left disillusioned, most just found ways to interpret the world not ending as actually greater evidence than ever that the world was going to end

I love the work that's been done by Festinger (and the people who followed after him) on the subject of failed prophecy. There's a book "When Prophecy Fails" that details the Seekers published in 1956, and it's wild. If I remember it right, he chalked it up to a combination of the sunk cost fallacy and cognitive dissonance; but yeah, it's a well-documented thing that unthinking adherence at great material cost only becomes stronger when it's legit proven wrong.

e: messed up the date. Oops :v:

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 3, 2020

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

evilweasel posted:

I think they mean Biden’s nomination. And they are correct.

Having Dems spend 4years decrying Trump as a senile rapist then watching them go Russian conspiracy theory over their nom’s own cognitive decline and credible rape history is just recursive :discourse: at this point.

Normalizing trumps behavior by nominating Centrist Trump is pretty amazing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

StratGoatCom posted:

The same is happening here

I typed up something similar in the Covid thread and deleted it because I was getting too depressed writing it. At this point it's become pretty clear that even though this pandemic has presented us with the best chance to change society for the better and offer a way out of consumer-based capitalism running all our lives, it's going to be a wasted opportunity and we all just continue to adapt to shittier and shittier lives while the wealthy remain somewhat insulated. This situation will be reflected on the macro level as the effects of climate change worsen, until we all just numbly accept that waves of refugees getting gunned down on the border and poor people dying in the street is normal. And I bet if anyone's still posting here someone will be sure to chime in about how humanity is "adapting" and "this isn't an apocalypse clearly, as people still buy things with some sort of currency."

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Data Graham posted:

Of course I have to ask because I feel like this is something that probably has been wildly distorted by our education system — when we think about "bread lines in the USSR" or "bare supermarket shelves in Cuba", how frequent were those even? Were those, maybe, extraordinary circumstances or crises in their own right?

Is that something we can debunk in exchange?

Nope, those things were actually happening.

The Soviet Union went through the "Era of Stagnation" in the 1970s and early 1980s, as called out by Gorbachev himself. Even the Soviet press, following Gorbachev's Perestrokia reforms, began reporting on the shortages. Whether due to a shift from consumer production to armament production, because Brezhnev and his successors were more interested in stability and doctrine than in addressing fundamental issues in the command structure, or the inherent flaws of a command structure economy, the Soviet Union moved from being an exporter nation in the '60's to being an importer nation in the '80s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Era_of_Stagnation

This led to two things: food shortages and basic consumer good shortages, and the rise of a massive "grey market" where people would trade the goods that the government provided (or that they embezzled from work) in exchange for goods smuggled in from the West (or other goods embezzled from work). This wasn't even necessarily a goods exchange; you might be a mechanical engineer who has been official assigned to a factory which doesn't actually have work for you to do (because of shortages elsewhere and because the government wants full employment) so the manager has you go work for a local Politburo official and service his cars in exchange for no one getting in trouble for not meeting quota, or in exchange for the official looking the other way when some of the factory parts go missing.
http://chnm.gmu.edu/1989/items/show/182
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_economy_of_the_Soviet_Union

It's estimated that nearly a third of Soviet household income in the late 70's came from the grey economy or "second economy." Organized crime didn't show up in Russia and other Soviet states post-1990 - they largely ran the grey economy and just expanded operations once the Soviet Union collapsed.
https://www.ucis.pitt.edu/nceeer/1993-900-03-Treml.pdf - pages 2-3

Here's an article from The Atlantic in 1990 of someone writing about his visit to the Soviet Union, the second section - An Evening Meal - talks about the shortages and lines. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1990/06/inside-the-collapsing-soviet-economy/303870/

The lines and shortages were much worse in the late 80s - part of why Gorbachev was desperately trying to reform the system, and why it ended up collapsing in 1990 - but they were around for the 70s and early 80s as well - here's a 1982 New York Times article about shortages. https://www.nytimes.com/1982/01/15/world/soviet-food-shortages-grumbling-and-excuses.html

Edit:
Soviet joke from the '70s:

quote:

There is a 10 year wait for getting your own car, and you have to put up the money in advance. One man laid down the money, and the fellow in charge said to him: “Come back in 10 years and get your car."

The man answered: “Morning or afternoon?”

And the fellow behind the counter said: “Ten years from now, what difference does it make?”

The man replied: “Well, the plumber is coming in the morning.”

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 3, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

evilweasel posted:

A lot of people, Trumpist or no, have managed to buy into Trump being a 4 dimensional godking whose Orange Path will dictate the course of humanity for millennia.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

LeeMajors posted:

I think they mean Biden’s nomination. And they are correct.

Having Dems spend 4years decrying Trump as a senile rapist then watching them go Russian conspiracy theory over their nom’s own cognitive decline and credible rape history is just recursive :discourse: at this point.

Normalizing trumps behavior by nominating Centrist Trump is pretty amazing.

Precisely, and there's no way to avoid the fact that Biden is only viable because of this, and the party pulling fuckery, as he would have imploded as he has multiple times before without it.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

DrNutt posted:

I typed up something similar in the Covid thread and deleted it because I was getting too depressed writing it. At this point it's become pretty clear that even though this pandemic has presented us with the best chance to change society for the better and offer a way out of consumer-based capitalism running all our lives, it's going to be a wasted opportunity and we all just continue to adapt to shittier and shittier lives while the wealthy remain somewhat insulated. This situation will be reflected on the macro level as the effects of climate change worsen, until we all just numbly accept that waves of refugees getting gunned down on the border and poor people dying in the street is normal. And I bet if anyone's still posting here someone will be sure to chime in about how humanity is "adapting" and "this isn't an apocalypse clearly, as people still buy things with some sort of currency."
It seems a bit unnecessary to gun down the refugees at the border as they flee America.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

StratGoatCom posted:

Precisely, and there's no way to avoid the fact that Biden is only viable because of this, and the party pulling fuckery, as he would have imploded as he has multiple times before without it.

this is a nonsense narrative that “bend the knee!!!” berniebros have talked themselves into to explain away their loss

Biden had a massive lead throughout all aspects of the primary except the short period between Iowa and Sputh Carolina. Bernie lost fair and square and these narratives that actually biden is just a continuation of trump is nonsense hardcore berners needed to try and pretend was true to dislodge the massively popular former vp and wound up believing their own propaganda.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

We've talked about the mass dropout before, evilweasel.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

evilweasel posted:

this is a nonsense narrative that “bend the knee!!!” berniebros have talked themselves into to explain away their loss

Biden had a massive lead throughout all aspects of the primary except the short period between Iowa and Sputh Carolina. Bernie lost fair and square and these narratives that actually biden is just a continuation of trump is nonsense hardcore berners needed to try and pretend was true to dislodge the massively popular former vp and wound up believing their own propaganda.

This doesn't at all address their point about the effects of Dems throwing their weight behind this guy, it's just trying to shift the topic back to something you feel you can score points against forums "Bros" with.

E: vvv sorry for presuming!

Papercut fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 3, 2020

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Papercut posted:

This doesn't at all address his point about the effects of Dems throwing their weight behind this guy, it's just trying to shift the topic back to something you feel you can score points against forums "Bros" with.

Them, but correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
The mass dropout that occurred after SC had shown everyone besides Biden and Sanders that they had no viability and continuing on would be a waste of time and resources?

Also this is going to be 2016 all over again.