Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Literally A Person posted:

God how I long to be one of the important bi's who make the decisions about bi-ness.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

that's bi in the sky thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

My Lovely Horse posted:

By now every single thing that ever existed must have its own article panically claiming IT'S NEVER COMING BACK because it's how you make new headlines innit.

finally millennials will stop getting blamed for everything

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
It's birkenstock in a basket btw

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Blockade posted:

Kubernetes, but for agriculture.

I'll take my 10 mil, thx

haveblue posted:

agriculture is tricky to do securely, almost everything requires root

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

univbee posted:

Do what my dad used to do: get on really well with the right butcher so they're willing to break the law for you, and do deer carcass body exchanges late at night in an empty parking lot like you're in the mafia getting rid of a body.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Dont Touch ME posted:

Bad faith is like when you overcook the bread and you think "gosh this is burnt, I can't eat it" so you give it to a homeless shelter. Disingenuous is like when you're learning another language that uses an unfamiliar consonant and instead of thinking how to position your mouth, you give up on learning the language.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Someone's tried Danish

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite thing about Danish is that the native speakers don't even understand it. I've had to explain consonants to other Danes on multiple occasions, and I myself only recently learned that the particular glottal stop used for emphasis in Danish does not exist in any other language.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Rust Martialis posted:

Someone's tried Danish

Usually the bigger risk on pastries is undercooking them

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Pastry isn't even bread. What a dumb analogy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My favorite thing about Danish is that the native speakers don't even understand it. I've had to explain consonants to other Danes on multiple occasions, and I myself only recently learned that the particular glottal stop used for emphasis in Danish does not exist in any other language.

Danes aren't alone in having a ridiculous language. For example, one of the first and simplest phrases you learn in German is "sie sind". This can mean either "you are" or "they are", depending on whether "sie" is capitalised. So when it comes at the start of a sentence, as it very often does, not even a native German speaker can tell who you are talking about unless they're aware of the exact context.

English, of course, stole all the most ridiculous bits from everyone else. That's why it's a language with almost no rules and a thousand exceptions.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Shoes
Hose
Hoes

???

Glow
Show
Sow (verb)
Plow
Sow (hog)
Dough

Cough??

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Jedit posted:

English, of course, stole all the most ridiculous bits from everyone else. That's why it's a language with almost no rules and a thousand exceptions.

English was designed by a committee of well meaning idiots.

After teaching English for about six months first thing I'd tell a new student was some version of "English is a stupid, stupid language. The rules will only apply half the time and even then they might not make sense. What's written isn't how it sounds and the pronunciation rules are also stupid. I'm so sorry you have to learn my stupid language. Now, lets spend half an hour learning how to say 'Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers', and then we can discuss how 'gently caress' can be substituted for a noun, verb, adverb or adjective, and why that makes sense". I think all my students appreciated that.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Outrail posted:

After teaching English for about six months first thing I'd tell a new student was some version of "English is a stupid, stupid language. The rules will only apply half the time and even then they might not make sense. What's written isn't how it sounds and the pronunciation rules are also stupid. I'm so sorry you have to learn my stupid language. Now, lets spend half an hour learning how to say 'Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers', and then we can discuss how 'gently caress' can be substituted for a noun, verb, adverb or adjective, and why that makes sense". I think all my students appreciated that.

Well-meaning? Have you seen the places where English originated? Every syllable was wrought from pure spite.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

Pastry isn't even bread. What a dumb analogy.

It’s those little animals were you can see the veins, right?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Screaming Idiot posted:

Well-meaning? Have you seen the places where English originated? Every syllable was wrought from pure spite.

yeah and? now we all sound like a fuckin ned flanders orgy. every form of art, especially slam poetry, sounds way WAY cooler in other languages.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

yeah and? now we all sound like a fuckin ned flanders orgy. every form of art, especially slam poetry, sounds way WAY cooler in other languages.

English poetry is only well-regarded because it's amazing anyone can make such a broken, awkward, hacked-together language sound at all pleasant. English literature is only well-regarded because the dudes that spoke English pretty much killed anyone else who tried to make their own literature, so it got a bit of a boost.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

english has the most words of any language and is therefore the best.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Screaming Idiot posted:

English poetry is only well-regarded because it's amazing anyone can make such a broken, awkward, hacked-together language sound at all pleasant. English literature is only well-regarded because the dudes that spoke English pretty much killed anyone else who tried to make their own literature, so it got a bit of a boost.

NARRATOR: english poetry is not well-regarded.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Outrail posted:

The Saxons, Romans and Normans were not a committee, and they were very much not well-meaning

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/MerriamWebster/status/1255967459078799362

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

y'ever think about how the feminine form of actor should be actrix

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alaois posted:

Actrix and Obgynix

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Is dominatrix already plural and we've just been using it wrong? What would singular be? Dominatri?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no, dominatrix is the feminine form of dominator.

the plural is dominatrices

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Dameius posted:

Is dominatrix already plural and we've just been using it wrong? What would singular be? Dominatri?

Dominatrices is plural.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Alaois posted:

the -atrix suffix is for words that end in -ator

gladiator, gladiatrix
aviator, aviatrix

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

alligator, alligatrix

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've said it before, English is the Calvinball of languages.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Masturbator, masturbatrix.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've said it before, English is the Calvinball of languages.

That's not the best comparison because Calvinball's rules are made up as you go along. English is more like ten different people came up with their own sports and are now trying to play a match with each other on the same field.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Bobby Digital posted:

Masturbator, masturbatrix.

Mistresbatrix.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Triarii posted:

That's not the best comparison because Calvinball's rules are made up as you go along. English is more like ten different people came up with their own sports and are now trying to play a match with each other on the same field.

well except that everyone agrees that all the rules are valid simultaneously, except where two contradict each other, in which case you can do whatever you like

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

alligator, alligatrix

"Alligator" is a corruption/anglicization of the Spanish el lagarto, "The Lizard", and doesn't mean "one who alligates" :pseudo:

But who am I kidding, this is English and we could make "alligate" a verb if we wanted to bad enough

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Phy posted:

"Alligator" is a corruption/anglicization of the Spanish el lagarto, "The Lizard", and doesn't mean "one who alligates" :pseudo:

But who am I kidding, this is English and we could make "alligate" a verb if we wanted to bad enough

You just did. Well, I’m off to get some alligatin’ done.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Wasn't Alligate a Twitter fiasco

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I try and I try, but alligate from you are attitude and excuses.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

You just did. Well, I’m off to get some alligatin’ done.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alligation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

poo poo, I thought I’d come up with something new. Oh, well. Alligate over it.