Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Randaconda posted:

Kane should have won at WM14, or am I just dumb
kane has been an objectively worse wrestler than the undertaker, so i disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coaaab posted:

kane has been an objectively worse wrestler than the undertaker, so i disagree

At the time, 'Taker wasn't much better, and it made much more sense for Kane to win.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Randaconda posted:

At the time, 'Taker wasn't much better, and it made much more sense for Kane to win.

IIRC, that was the original plan. Kane asked to lose.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i remember tag team with rvd kane seeming better than the undertaker ever was until he started caring again for whatever reason. maybe it was because of michelle mccool

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cavauro posted:

i remember tag team with rvd kane seeming better than the undertaker ever was until he started caring again for whatever reason. maybe it was because of michelle mccool

Undertaker didn't get good until he wrestled a few times a year with good opponents.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

sticklefifer posted:

In the first episode of Lucha Underground, they show Dario Cueto at Triplemania XXII offering a briefcase full of money to a bunch of the wrestlers on their roster if they'd jump ship to his new promotion. But I went back and watched that Triplemania and that segment was nowhere to be found. Was that a dark segment filmed just for the LU pilot episode, or did that actually air during the live broadcast and was cut out later?

It was probably a dark segment, like when that studio was filming Fighting With My Family and asked crowds to stay after Raw ended to shoot scenes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Randaconda posted:

It made zero sense for Kane to win. Kane had destroyed Undertaker and run him out of the company he should absolutely win at Mania.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

disaster pastor posted:

IIRC, that was the original plan. Kane asked to lose.

That’s dumb. Kane’s dumb

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i don't follow women's wrestling as much as I should, are there any girls that work a mat-based, technical wrestling style like Danielson or ZSJ? not just mat-wrestling spots, but actually structuring the match around that style

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What was Undertaker's first actually good singles match?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kennel posted:

vs Nash at 'Mania

y'all heard me :colbert:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Kennel posted:

Good question. I liked his 96 Rumble match with Bret (pretty sure I’m in the minority there), and he had a good match with Diesel at WM12. After that, he started having good matches with Foley. I even remember liking his match with Bradshaw the night after WM12.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Kennel posted:

trick question, he never had one

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Kennel posted:

Angle at No Way Out '06

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

trick question, he never had one

Yeah back in 2007 myself and a few other influencers decided it would be funny if we pretended Scott Keith was right and Kurt Angle taught The Undertaker to work in 2006. Fooled a bunch of people for years but the scam kind of unraveled in the last two years.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Max Coveri posted:

Angle at No Way Out '06

He had two great Hell in a Cell matches in 97 and 98.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I'll give you 97 but 98 is the foley show all the way and what he's mostly doing is car crash bumps anyway

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Coaaab posted:

I'll give you 97 but 98 is the foley show all the way and what he's mostly doing is car crash bumps anyway

For the purposes of the question we’re answering, I’ll agree with you.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah back in 2007 myself and a few other influencers decided it would be funny if we pretended Scott Keith was right and Kurt Angle taught The Undertaker to work in 2006. Fooled a bunch of people for years but the scam kind of unraveled in the last two years.

I don’t think I’ve ever read a post that made me wanna give someone a wedgie and steal their lunch money as much as this one.

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 4, 2020

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sandman McMahon posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever read a post that made me wanna give someone a wedgie and steal their lunch money as much as this one.

Sorry you got fooled.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Thats ok, just don’t do it again. We’re counting on you MRT, be better.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Is there a difference between a ripcord clothesline and a Rainmaker?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Red posted:

Thea Vidale claimed in an interview that she was often sexually harassed while working in WWE (as Shelton Benjamin's mom). Did anything ever come of this, or was it ever clarified who this was?

Link: https://www.inquisitr.com/1571041/wwe-news-shelton-benjamins-mom-claims-she-was-sexually-harassed-while-working-in-wwe/

The article's page is ad-crammed and awful, so here are the important quotes:

It and many other articles online reference an interview with Neal Morgan, which is nowhere to be found.

This legitimately sucks huge amounts of arse. For Thea herself obviously, but also the cover-up.

Coz as I remember it at the time, the reason given for her leaving WWE was for health reasons. (I guess both her own mental health and safety, so they weren't lying.)

I liked the Shelton's Mama storyline. It gave him a chance to show character and personality he never had before, as well as his awesome in ring ability.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Taker’s first good match was Kamala at Summerslam 92.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Red posted:

Thea Vidale claimed in an interview that she was often sexually harassed while working in WWE (as Shelton Benjamin's mom). Did anything ever come of this, or was it ever clarified who this was?

Link: https://www.inquisitr.com/1571041/wwe-news-shelton-benjamins-mom-claims-she-was-sexually-harassed-while-working-in-wwe/
It turned out that the interview was completely made up and someone (successfully) trying to prank newz sites by seeing if they wouldn't bother doing the most basic fact checking in aggregating the quotes.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Low Desert Punk posted:

i don't follow women's wrestling as much as I should, are there any girls that work a mat-based, technical wrestling style like Danielson or ZSJ? not just mat-wrestling spots, but actually structuring the match around that style

Leyla Hirsch is a pretty good example of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYkkdFQoLCo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll6idE8CJDs

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

Just thinking about Drew's current run, it's got me wondering:
How do you book a face champion well?

Heel champions are much easier. But how do you book a face champ without having them simply squash every opponent or get stale very quickly. How do you avoid a Cena or a Reigns? (I realise much of that has to do with not shoving them down our throats artificially beforehand.)

I guess my first thought is line them up with credible opponents and have them put on great matches. Perhaps where they have the odds slightly stacked against them but not in a way that they have to 'Superman' their way out of the situation every time.

What do you think?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I think one trick WWE misses over and over is letting the babyface champ have friends, and get involved in team or stable issues. This gives them a breather from endless monster of the month stories. Like it would be cool if Mox and Darby and Janela had some weirdo friend group and then you could tell various little stories of them vs Inner Circle or Dark Order without going through the same motions of “Mox beats Stu on TV, Mox beats Uno on TV, Mox gets a beat down from the underlings on TV, CAN MOX OVERCOME THE EXALTED ONE, FIND OUT ON PAY PER VIEW”

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I think the best way to run a face champion is to have a constant flow of heels that have been actually built up. WWE jumps straight to a heel challenging the champ so there is just a line of geeks who lost immediately. If you build the heel for months before they challenge, you actually build tension about this being the time the face will lose.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how long until Fox cancels Smackdown

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

idk if you’ve heard but there isn’t exactly a whole lot of new content being created right now that they could replace it with. so probably a while.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

I think one trick WWE misses over and over is letting the babyface champ have friends, and get involved in team or stable issues. This gives them a breather from endless monster of the month stories. Like it would be cool if Mox and Darby and Janela had some weirdo friend group and then you could tell various little stories of them vs Inner Circle or Dark Order without going through the same motions of “Mox beats Stu on TV, Mox beats Uno on TV, Mox gets a beat down from the underlings on TV, CAN MOX OVERCOME THE EXALTED ONE, FIND OUT ON PAY PER VIEW”

another thing WWE misses out on is face vs. face (without the face challenger instantly turning heel out of nowhere just to be a credible opponent). "You've got that belt, I want that belt, you're my friend but we've gotta compete" is legit, and I feel like it's a good option to have for a longer-term face champ to alternate with faction battles and monsters of the month.

then again I'm a big proponent for how NJPW does 'levels of heel-ishness' and straightforward competition for the belts, so what do I know.

WWE also doesn't allow outside factors (like a face winning NJPW's G1 or New Japan Cup) to define things. You wouldn't have a face cash in Money in the Bank without immediately doing a "You People" promo.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

WWE has a more overarching problem in creative where they have this preconceived notion of the Best Way to do something. And if you know what the Best Way is, why do anything in some inferior way? This goes for their storylines (“why would you have face vs face when you get more heat doing face vs heel?”) to their matches (“why would you have someone win after hitting 3 or 4 moves? It’s more dramatic if they do their finish out of nowhere”) to their production (“why would you...” actually I can’t even make up a reason why kevin dunn does any of the things he does)

It’s like you decided that the most delicious food is carrot cake (objectively true, do not @ me) so you decide that you’re only going to eat carrot cake for every meal and snack.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus WEP posted:

WWE has a more overarching problem in creative where they have this preconceived notion of the Best Way to do something. And if you know what the Best Way is, why do anything in some inferior way? This goes for their storylines (“why would you have face vs face when you get more heat doing face vs heel?”) to their matches (“why would you have someone win after hitting 3 or 4 moves? It’s more dramatic if they do their finish out of nowhere”) to their production (“why would you...” actually I can’t even make up a reason why kevin dunn does any of the things he does)

It’s like you decided that the most delicious food is carrot cake (objectively true, do not @ me) so you decide that you’re only going to eat carrot cake for every meal and snack.

WWE has been almost entirely poo poo since like... 2005? 2006? The creative does nothing but the simplest, most boring feuds, especially for the midcard, if they even have a storyline, there's hardly anybody presented as head and shoulders about most everybody else, nobody is presented as a star, and 50/50 booking kills off anybody who actually manages to get a reaction, unless it's somebody who didn't get over the way they wanted, then they go out of their way to kill them off, then complain nobody wants to grab the brass ring. It's the worst written show that's lasted longer than a year I've ever seen.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Spikey Willow posted:

Just thinking about Drew's current run, it's got me wondering:
How do you book a face champion well?

Heel champions are much easier. But how do you book a face champ without having them simply squash every opponent or get stale very quickly. How do you avoid a Cena or a Reigns? (I realise much of that has to do with not shoving them down our throats artificially beforehand.)

I guess my first thought is line them up with credible opponents and have them put on great matches. Perhaps where they have the odds slightly stacked against them but not in a way that they have to 'Superman' their way out of the situation every time.

What do you think?

Not letting them beat the heel 6 times before they beat them at the PPV would help, I think.

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

Right.

I like the stable comment, so it's not just one on one all the time. Do you think that was part of made Stone Cold's run such a success? Obviously Vince was the big bad, but also had a bunch of stooges (pun intended) that Austin could fight each week to keep it fresh. And occasionally bring along his own pals or interfere with other matches.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It wasn't just that he had stooges to fight; he only rarely did singles matches on television. The stables gave him more people to fight in multi-man matches, that meant something, without anyone losing their heat.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And the matches on television he did have very rarely had a finish.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Austin’s entire babyface run lasted less time than it took to coronate Roman Reigns 3 times, so, there’s that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus WEP posted:

Austin’s entire babyface run lasted less time than it took to coronate Roman Reigns 3 times, so, there’s that

Austin could also talk and work, which helped.