Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Wow, I didn't see you even begin research on curved bullets yet, FairGame!

[impossible shot.gif]

(nice shot, munin)

One thing that got me about the Lost mission was how long it took between the shot and the Lost keeling over. I always though for a sec that people had missed.

In case people lose it from last page:

FairGame posted:

Nah, it's like that random dude who lives in (and possibly owns?) your home base in Final Fantasy 8, NORG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So how does XP work in XCom2 compared to XCom? I noticed on this LP you're not taking care to get kills on soldiers that need it at all, compared to going out of your way to do it in the LW LP.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 23, 2021

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

whoa whoa whoa.

You took Demolition. I didn't even know they fixed that! Wasn't it bugged to never work before?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Your tactics in that mission were pretty solid, nicely done. I always love the resistance missions where you have allies, they do a wonderful job of softening the aliens up and making things simpler.

Maybe I missed this, but what is your logic in using the Frost Bomb, something that can trivialize several enemies for multiple turns, and not the Mimic Beacon, which lasts for maybe 2 shots? Obviously it is your decision, just odd to me.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The OSHA nightmare of resistance camps can be funny or tragic. I had one haven assault where all the civilians in one cluster and four resistance fighters ended up taking shelter in a RV, which promptly exploded and killed half of the civilians on the map.

You and I take very different approaches to grenadiers, so I'm interested to see how Dr. Danger ends up getting (ab)used.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 2, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy poo poo you got Sabotage. Well gg, this was a good campaign, you had a lot of close calls but I'm glad you could complete it on such an unfair difficulty level! :v:

VVV drat. Easy come easy go huh?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 3, 2020

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Holy poo poo you got Sabotage. Well gg, this was a good campaign, you had a lot of close calls but I'm glad you could complete it on such an unfair difficulty level! :v:

I got sabotage and then lost it due to a crash.

Peachfart posted:

Maybe I missed this, but what is your logic in using the Frost Bomb, something that can trivialize several enemies for multiple turns, and not the Mimic Beacon, which lasts for maybe 2 shots? Obviously it is your decision, just odd to me.

There's only 1 frost bomb (though on a grenadier you can get multiple uses). Everyone can bring a mimic beacon.

But, uh...don't worry too much about me having/using the frost bomb; this is a problem that will take care of itself.

Akratic Method posted:

You took Demolition. I didn't even know they fixed that! Wasn't it bugged to never work before?

Yep. Now I think it always works. I don't know; I don't use grenadiers that much.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FairGame posted:

But, uh...don't worry too much about me having/using the frost bomb; this is a problem that will take care of itself.

Yep. Now I think it always works. I don't know; I don't use grenadiers that much.
I'm guessing this bodes poorly for Carlos and Roth having long and storied careers.

I never really liked demolition because some cover is indestructible, or at least can't be reduced below half. I think we saw this earlier with the big trees that just lose their tops and still provide cover.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well it's not Sabotage but "never get ambushed" is very good too. Ambush missions loving suck and you can send rookies into coverts with impunity. I admire your honestman approach, I woulda legit save-scummed after that kind of crash.
I hope you get more intel soon, that shopping spree left you in a thorny place wrt Avatar counter :(

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The reason why the rocket launcher is so finicky to aim compared to the grenades is because it's a rocket - it has to travel in a straight line. Grenades that are thrown or launched from a grenade launcher travel in an arc, so they can go over obstacles, which gives you more flexibility in aiming them.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's bizarre, because it seemed like they learned their lesson - XCOM 2 locks grenades and rockets to tiles, rather than letting you aim them freely. Great, that way you don't have to hunt for the precise pixel and camera angle to hit what you want, like you did in EU, right? Nope! You still have to sometimes, because it uses the same finicky mouse targeting! Why didn't they just let you pick a target tile using the same UI for moving units?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Man, you got really lucky with that Muton deciding to suppress rather than just murder someone.

Aiming the rocket launcher might be a bit easier if you tried rotating the camera. I've found that can help a lot to find the perfect pixel. I am also a little disappointed you got Guardian Angels. I've never seen an Ambush (thanks to that order) and I was hoping to see you handle one. Same with rescues. I'm actually secretly hoping you get someone captured so I can see you do a mission to free them.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
There is one good thing you get from researching Alien Encryption.

You get to build the Shadow Chamber, which gives very useful information.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Spider-Din! Spider-Din! Kills whatever a spider kills.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Gothsheep posted:

There is one good thing you get from researching Alien Encryption.

You get to build the Shadow Chamber, which gives very useful information.

It's true, but considering the power cost there's no reason to do it now. See psionics.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

FairGame posted:

It's true, but considering the power cost there's no reason to do it now. See psionics.

Yeah, completely understandable. It was thanks to this LP that I finally looked up what the best thing to build on a power node was and found out that actually building a power relay is the sucker's move. It just made such sense that I never even questioned it.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

It's true what they say about the convenience of propane. Gets the meat all crispy, too.

Soon there will be the Chosen takedown mission. I love these missions, as I love the XCom: EW base defence. A real challenge, but a fun challenge. I'm looking forward to see how you handle it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
It'll be interesting to see if we get a Chosen Avenger assault or a Chosen takedown first.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You know XCOM2 you're kind of a dick.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Seraphic Neoman posted:

You know XCOM2 you're kind of a dick.

They do different things. Left Behind puts the risk of Capture on every mission. Guardian Angels removes the risk of Ambush.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Gothsheep posted:

They do different things. Left Behind puts the risk of Capture on every mission. Guardian Angels removes the risk of Ambush.

Capture is actually worse too (you don't even get a mission, just a post-op message saying "lol i took ur guy").

Probably what FairPlay meant is that the "more risk from Capture" supersedes the "risk free from Ambush" and means that your ops are, once again, a serious risk of personnel loss.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I hope we see an ambush at some point, I've only done one before and they're hard.

Looking forward to Ruler Time next time! Do you always face the rulers in the same order, or could we see any of them at this point, as we've seen all their corresponding enemies?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

How does the capture/ambush/freeing soldiers stuff work anyway?

Also, Snacks has been a pretty solid shooter for a robot. Did they get buffed from base game Xcom2?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

eating only apples posted:

I hope we see an ambush at some point, I've only done one before and they're hard.

Looking forward to Ruler Time next time! Do you always face the rulers in the same order, or could we see any of them at this point, as we've seen all their corresponding enemies?

It's always in the same order.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I've always been able to assign the 'extra safety' slot to negate the capture, but that could be because I play on Tiny Baby difficulty and not the Bigboy Pants difficulty Fairplay is on.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Munin posted:

How does the capture/ambush/freeing soldiers stuff work anyway?

Also, Snacks has been a pretty solid shooter for a robot. Did they get buffed from base game Xcom2?

Ambush is "you have to do a mission with the soldiers sent on the covert op". I find these missions not particularly hard, but they're a bit of a psych out because the game tries to make you think you need to rush them when having a small squad really means you need to be careful and methodical.

Capture is just a message at the end of the op that says someone was captured; same presentation as a covert op wound, only they're gone. And then you have some chance to get a covert op in the future to break the person out of jail. Those missions actually have a totally unique set of mechanics for managing enemy alert, and are kinda a neat change of pace. I doubt we'll see one in the LP because basically FairPlay is too good at this to get anyone captured (although bringing a rookie on a mission and leaving them behind to deliberately get one would be amusing) so I'll summarize it: there's a generalized alert level 0-10, and a bunch of size-1 pods walking around. Activating a pod increases the alert level, as does killing an enemy. Calling the skyranger sets it to 10, as I think does hacking open the door with the unconscious prisoner. (That might only be +1, not ->10. And there's a higher-difficulty hack to open it with no increase.) You only get like two or three people, so your goal is to avoid everything, fight almost no one, and be out of harm's way by the time you call for extraction.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Normally if you were running with the prescripted missions, one of the missions to introduce the factions and the Chosen would also be a Capture rescue, but without that, I doubt we'll see them as well unless Fair gets really unlucky with the Chosen. I thought it might happen with an 11th hour Tranq Shot from the Hunter on the last mission, but then he decided killing Lost was more fun.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

eating only apples posted:

I've done a lot and they're easy because they're so predictable. :v:

It's always a Lost City map with a handful of humanoid Advent patrolling in unusually small pods (like 1~2 dudes each)

If you've got 2+ soldiers you can just move-overwatch to slug your way through after the inevitable turn-2 advent drop-in.

If you've got a Reaper or a stealth-Ranger, just know that enemies all hang out near the centerline of the map so you can avoid detection by moving near the edge.

If neither of those applies, you either screwed up or got such a bad selection of covert actions that you had to screw up. It helps to know you can almost always cheese Lost by standing at the top of a ladder. So grenade the first car you see to summon the Lost wave early, sit on a ladder the turn they spawn so they can't surround you, then just haul all the rear end while Advent are distracted fighting your zombie train. Spider/Wraith armor for dodge+grapple and Stasis/Plated/Hellweave vest for extra survival. I wouldn't recommend this unless you don't have any other options besides sending a single soldier on an op with a chance of ambush.

Munin posted:

Sparks aren't in the base game IIRC (they're in Shen's Last Gift dlc) but yeah they were more recently buffed by WOTC(?) enabling them to use weapon upgrades.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

silentsnack posted:

Sparks aren't in the base game IIRC (they're in Shen's Last Gift dlc) but yeah they were more recently buffed by WOTC(?) enabling them to use weapon upgrades.

Yeah, I did mean non-WotC.

My Sparks serve me well there but not due to its shooting in particular.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The hardest part of an ambush is the initial Advent drop. Everything else is manageable. Well, except the tediousness of every ambush being literally the same.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Send two conceal rangers on the ambush keep to the second floor of the buildings near you bing bing bong.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Peachfart posted:

The hardest part of an ambush is the initial Advent drop. Everything else is manageable. Well, except the tediousness of every ambush being literally the same.
The game once put me on the portside city map with the containers for an ambush. Don't know how. Don't know why. Has never happened before or since in the ~25+ ambush missions I've played: the rest have all been that exact same L-shaped street.

At this point I bond a Sharpshooter and Phantom Ranger as early as possible for my covert ops buddy comedy duo and use ambushes to farm XP for them.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

*checks loadout*

Uh guys, is it just me or did it get cold in here all of a sudden? No? Oh, it's probably nothing.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 4, 2020

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Ugh, that frost breath was rough. Still, you got through without any losses, probably thanks to that Mind Control.

A minor addition about the Rulers: They don't get reactions from Xcom units they can't see (I believe that's a WOTC change). So they are only mostly unfair. The Viper King has loads of disabling skills like Bind and Frost Breath which can be really crippling if there are other threats about - fortunately you had good positioning on the units that got frozen, so they were not in too much danger. If Quinn or SugarAddict got frozen while in the open, things might not have gone so great.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Achmed with some nice clutches there.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Dancer posted:

Achmed with some nice clutches there.

Yeah, this mission was the tale of dragon rounds and a few levels making sharpshooters suddenly pretty good. (well, and also the tale of "just chill and wait to plant the charges" although I guess in the long run it turned out fine.)

e: vvv touché :rimshot:

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I believe if you watch again you will notice that we CHILLED quite a bit!