Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm still waiting to hear what the more mid- and long-term damage is for people who survive the disease. If it can lead to lung or kidney damage then that'd be a real hidden danger for young people that the relatively low fatality rate doesn't show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

empty whippet box posted:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/worces...xKr9IntUjK0EKaA

81 Walmart employees at Massachusetts store test positive for coronavirus

good thing this wal-mart is an aberration, an outlier of the most extreme quality with no analogue of any kind anywhere in the USA. After all, if 21% of walmart employees at a store means it should shut down, then hell, probably every wal mart everywhere should shut down, and that obviously can't be allowed to be the correct decision, so I shall instead select the set of facts to believe that mean I get to go to applebee's tomorrow.
My cousin caught it while working at a Walmart in Alabama

Gave it to his father and he died

But nope not at any Walmarts in the US

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

5 bucks says everyone who gets infected and survives becomes some sort of rudimentary hive mind

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
hey twoday here's a mechanism for bcg: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jmv.25866

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Dolash posted:

I'm still waiting to hear what the more mid- and long-term damage is for people who survive the disease. If it can lead to lung or kidney damage then that'd be a real hidden danger for young people that the relatively low fatality rate doesn't show.

already seen pulmonary fibrosis, which is going to really cause significant morbidity down the line. nothing like an entire generation needing oxygen and nebulizer treatments once they hit middle age

Serf
May 5, 2011

or classrooms. the whole classroom model has been outdated and dumb for decades anyway. the only reason universities ever did it that way was because books used to cost as much as actual loving castles so only professors were even allowed to look at them, and they'd come and give lectures from them to people who weren't allowed to touch them. we have the god drat internet now, even doing zoom meetings to teach classes seems like it's clinging to an outdated, obsolete model. we should have a better method for teaching than this stupid bullshit and it should be something possible to do easily and well in the home by now but that'll probably never happen, since we cannot stop clinging to old models of doing things

i work at a state university and we are now apparently accelerating our plan to get students back into classrooms. the rumor i've heard is that summer enrollment is down 20% and fall enrollment is like 35% and that's on top of falling enrollment for a decade

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

already seen pulmonary fibrosis, which is going to really cause significant morbidity down the line. nothing like an entire generation needing oxygen and nebulizer treatments once they hit middle age

Do we know what the rates of this look like in asymptomatic/mild cases

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

there's a lot of big words there but it seems that also helps explain why IL-6 inhibitors seem to work well?

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

shovelbum posted:

Do we know what the rates of this look like in asymptomatic/mild cases

I have only seen isolated case studies in the literature, but if they let this fucker rip through an entire country then good night and good luck

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1257158793370243074?s=20

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

shop til u drop dead

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

gonna make a qcs post about opening a new subforum to home school our kids. start signing up for classes to teach now. i will of course teach the blade for 2 hours every week on zoom with household objects like broomsticks and harry potter wands.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Lpzie posted:

gonna make a qcs post about opening a new subforum to home school our kids. start signing up for classes to teach now. i will of course teach the blade for 2 hours every week on zoom with household objects like broomsticks and harry potter wands.

You're joking, but kids would love that. Throw in some light sabers.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Starks posted:

you realize all sports are canceled already and this isn’t happening.

the idea that the nfl or ncaa are untouchable is really dumb and if the other major leagues are still not playing in August, the NFL and the NCAA won’t be playing either. If people in Brazil and Italy didn’t freak out when soccer was cancelled, neither will Americans.

I’ve yet to even hear one Canadian complain about hockey being canceled. Our Chuds are far more concerned with haircuts apparently.

Thing is, the sports industry is a loving huge employer and economic driver. Stadiums alone have so many blue-collar workers handling security, selling concessions, cleaning up after games, etc. I know it's cool for goons to poo poo on "sportsball," but it's a pretty bad thing for sports to just not happen at all.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

RumbleFish posted:

Thing is, the sports industry is a loving huge employer and economic driver. Stadiums alone have so many blue-collar workers handling security, selling concessions, cleaning up after games, etc. I know it's cool for goons to poo poo on "sportsball," but it's a pretty bad thing for sports to just not happen at all.

drat if only there was some way to provide people with the resources they need to survive

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
sports are a tool of white supremacy and they deserve to be shut down

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

I thought the GOP lost their majority on the court in that election they tried to rig last month

Nope. It went from 5-2 to 4-3. The next election to move the needle is in 2023.

If we even have a government by then is anyones guess.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

snoo posted:

drat if only there was some way to provide people with the resources they need to survive

don't worry, we'll find a way to get those billions of dollars to the billionaires. they will make it. we will find a way. we will FIGHT for them

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

snoo posted:

Indeed.

It is what it is, don't get me wrong. But the idea of experiencing schadenfreude over sports not being played is short-sighted, IMO. It hurts a lot more than just the MAGA chud fans or whatever.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

snoo posted:

durr but only status quo. ONLY THE SAME EVER.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

just give them money so they don’t have to go to work and get infected and die or whatever lol, just like wait a bit haha

lmao

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

RumbleFish posted:

lib poo poo for smoothbrains. capitalist economists have looked into the labor force impact of a stadium and found that at most you get about as much increased employment as opening a macy's somewhere in the city. there's only 16 games for a NFL team and for most of those jobs they only work on those 16 days.

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
oh no white people won't get to watch black people beat each other to death for not even much money (NO money in college sports!)

fits my needs posted:

just give them money so they don’t have to go to work and get infected and die or whatever lol, just like wait a bit haha

lmao

exactly i can wfh for a few years until a vaccine comes out, why can't these dumb lower class people?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Be mindful and enjoy every moment, nameste

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lpzie posted:

i would post in this forum, I have no kids but i do have a doctorate in clarinet and could help with music education and related topics

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

i would post in this forum, I have no kids but i do have a doctorate in clarinet and could help with music education and related topics

do you actually have a doctorate in clarinet

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bernie Panders posted:

oh no white people won't get to watch black people beat each other to death for not even much money (NO money in college sports!)

exactly i can wfh for a few years until a vaccine comes out, why can't these dumb lower class people?

excuse me they are there for the love of the sport and a college degree

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Starks posted:

I’ve yet to even hear one Canadian complain about hockey being canceled. Our Chuds are far more concerned with haircuts apparently.

Now that you mention it, I didn't see a single sign mentioning hockey at those protests in Alberta last week.

That big blue "Make America Great Again" flag was certainly a thing though.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

lib poo poo for smoothbrains. capitalist economists have looked into the labor force impact of a stadium and found that at most you get about as much increased employment as opening a macy's somewhere in the city. there's only 16 games for a NFL team and for most of those jobs they only work on those 16 days.

Sure, but MLB has 162 games and the NBA/NHL have 82.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

do you actually have a doctorate in clarinet

I finished all the coursework and choked on the dissertation, so actually no, but basically yes. I'm permanently ABD, so i have the entire education of someone that gets to call themselves Dr but just don't get to call myself Dr. it rules

I way prefer playing recorder these days

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Remember most of these jobs have a company union too, so out of that paltry salary the union is taking dues and using it to collude with management to gently caress over workers.

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
I cannot stress enough what a garbage job it is to be working at a stadium on game day. One of my shittiest bosses was the part time director of operations for busch stadium and bragged about locking out workers who were just a minute late on game day with the help of their union

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
why can’t they just elect Jess scarane, who will give them all the money they need

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

I finished all the coursework and choked on the dissertation, so actually no, but basically yes. I'm permanently ABD, so i have the entire education of someone that gets to call themselves Dr but just don't get to call myself Dr. it rules

doctorate in clarinet would be pretty badass tho

I saw someone on twitter say oboe is one of the hardest instruments, is that true do you know and if so why

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

Remember most of these jobs have a company union too, so out of that paltry salary the union is taking dues and using it to collude with management to gently caress over workers.

lmao where in the world are you talking about I’ve never met a bartender or a cook in a loving union and I’ve met a lot of em

e: ohhh stadiums

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Try the maximally socially distanced instrument: The theremin

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bernie Panders posted:

I mean, the minimum league salaries put you in the top 1% easily

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Bernie Panders posted:

sports are a tool of white supremacy and they deserve to be shut down

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
don't yell at me: NUMBERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RumbleFish posted:

Indeed.

It is what it is, don't get me wrong. But the idea of experiencing schadenfreude over sports not being played is short-sighted, IMO. It hurts a lot more than just the MAGA chud fans or whatever.

Yeah it would be really shortsighted to hope that the masses don't have circuses to distract them from our real issues in tyool 2020