Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
5000 tons at 30m distance, according to the article. 6000 closer to the base of the crane.

It's pretty big. Or was :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/9BevVji.gifv

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Just curious on how much steel buildings cost, came across this company, a proud supply to NASA

But don't worry, these buildings aren't just for nerds

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Holy poo poo, that works astonishingly well as an alignment chart.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 3, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Dude holding the ladder could have at least given him the cigarette at the end.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

JESUS CHRIST :stonk:

isn't/wasn't this kind of poo poo that was the #1 cause of injury & death in railyards?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Are they trying to couple the two cars together? Its hard to see, but whatever the guy is holding seems awfully small to hold two railway cars together, let alone be the coupler responsible for being one link in an entire train.

Also, don't most rail cars have "self couplers" (not sure what else you'd call them)? Or is this some sort of iron curtain country where "we not need decadent america train coupler"?

Or thirdly, is this some old obsolete rear end poo poo that just hasn't gotten to the end of its useful life, so hasn't gotten replaced yet?

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
Old obsolete poo poo that they keep building and using in spite of people losing limbs and lives doing that dudes job.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

wesleywillis posted:

Are they trying to couple the two cars together? Its hard to see, but whatever the guy is holding seems awfully small to hold two railway cars together, let alone be the coupler responsible for being one link in an entire train.

Also, don't most rail cars have "self couplers" (not sure what else you'd call them)? Or is this some sort of iron curtain country where "we not need decadent america train coupler"?

Or thirdly, is this some old obsolete rear end poo poo that just hasn't gotten to the end of its useful life, so hasn't gotten replaced yet?

The guy is coupling two cars together with a chain that the bumpers will keep tension on. Most (even Soviet) countries have used knuckle couplers of some sort for about a hundred years.

I don't remember why that particular train was still using such an old design, only that it was moving much faster than it was supposed to.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

wesleywillis posted:

It's a coupling called buffer-and-chain coupling.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffers_and_chain_coupler

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
spacex is not governmental!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cat Hatter posted:

The guy is coupling two cars together with a chain that the bumpers will keep tension on. Most (even Soviet) countries have used knuckle couplers of some sort for about a hundred years.

I don't remember why that particular train was still using such an old design, only that it was moving much faster than it was supposed to.

It's because he's British, and the British rail system has seen next to no investment for decades. There's weird obsolete poo poo all over the place.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

But don't worry, these buildings aren't just for nerds

Bad Munki posted:

Holy poo poo, that works astonishingly well as an alignment chart.

mixed it up a bit to my taste

Pacra fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 3, 2020

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Wasabi the J posted:

That must smell WONDERFUL.

Full vid shows the plume of former paper mill raining down.

Just chunks of pulp.

I missed the paper mill discussion, but I want to provide another metric.

During 80s at my childhood home, when the wind was right you take a sniff of the air and smell the paper mill at Kemi, exactly 100 kilometers away. And I was living in a dairy farm, with a several meter pile of cow manure just 50 meters away on the other side of the barn.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
There's something to be said about a person who thinks that weed is good and food is neutral.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

There's something to be said about a person who thinks that weed is good and food is neutral.

that they're right?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

WarpedNaba posted:

Also that commerce and industry is more lawful than government.

I think it worked better before.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

PittTheElder posted:

It's because he's British, and the British rail system has seen next to no investment for decades. There's weird obsolete poo poo all over the place.

No, that's in Germany. This kind of coupling is still in use for freight trains, I've never seen the American type of coupling on trains here.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Might have already been posted but :drat: this is an expensive gently caress up.
Have fun being the clean up crew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYu0f57XAz0

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

No the soviet union was quick to adopt automatic couplers of a similar but incompatible design to the US standard. The US couplers are also standard in China, India, and most of africa. Those Bumper & Chain jobs are p. much only seen in western europe where they're the defacto standard despite being painfully obsolete 145 years ago

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Serephina posted:

Neat trick to bleed off excess speed, but how does he plan on getting back into the air? Or was it an emergency landing?

Easy, they'll just airdrop a treadmill for the plane to take off from.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Don't think I've seen this one posted. The phone urgently ringing in the background is a nice touch.

https://youtu.be/xYu0f57XAz0

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

I feel like there’s some kind of optical illusion and there’s more of a gap than appears.

It's always fun to watch in person as the vertical motion of the trailer adds some extra excitement!

RoastBeef posted:

That looks like the Lincoln tunnel which is 13' tall but does allow tractor-trailers unlike the holland tunnel.

It's the Eastboard Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (the lights and VA inspection sticker are the tell), which has a 14' 6" trailer height limit.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Real Amethyst posted:

Might have already been posted but :drat: this is an expensive gently caress up.
Have fun being the clean up crew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYu0f57XAz0

I love the phone ringing. I can imagine the conversation

"Hallo? Ja, ich sehe es. Ich meine, ich habe es gesehen. Ja. Ja. Nein, du solltest wahrscheinlich hier bleiben. Ja, wir trinken schon"

"Hello? Yeah, I see it. I mean, I saw it. Yeah. Yeah. No you should probably stay here. Yeah we're already drinking."

PittTheElder posted:

Don't think I've seen this one posted. The phone urgently ringing in the background is a nice touch.

https://youtu.be/xYu0f57XAz0

three posts up

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Humphreys posted:

So I'm not at work today but the electricians are at it again. Slow cooked a roast lamb in the pie warmer.

I don't know if that's OSHA, but it is pretty impressive.

Those electricians know how to treat themselves.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The crane bends like taffy.

Incredible.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/ChadBlue_/status/1257123908874047488

Little bit of wind and rain on the way, maybe get your workers down off the roof before it hits, I dunno

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
WHO RECORDS VIDEOS AT 45º ANGLE :argh:

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Nenonen posted:

WHO RECORDS VIDEOS AT 45º ANGLE :argh:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Pacra posted:

mixed it up a bit to my taste

WarpedNaba posted:

Better?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Good/Evil ends are perfect, but IMO Garages/Workshops should be Lawful Neutral, Storage should be True Neutral, and DIY Workshops should be Chaotic Neutral.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

:hmmyes:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kith posted:

The Good/Evil ends are perfect, but IMO Garages/Workshops should be Lawful Neutral, Storage should be True Neutral, and DIY Workshops should be Chaotic Neutral.

I’m not clear on what the difference between “garages & workshops” and “DIY buildings” is.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

GroverHaus is a DYI Building.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

You could swap government and church but apart from that it works well.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

GroverHaus is a DYI Building.

Does that make Landerig a Garage, in this scenario?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

:discourse:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Kith posted:

It runs from more ordered to more chaotic.

Memento posted:

You could swap government and church but apart from that it works well.

It's a rocket factory, it'll make itself chaotic at some point in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

You could swap government and church

You could if this were a chart for the High Middle Ages.