Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

a positive NYC anecdote: my girlfriend had been volunteering to help monitor and order labs for covid patients at a major hospital hit very hard by the disease. but the other day they told her they didn't need her there anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

canyoneer posted:

A month ago, before my parents started really taking it seriously, I was talking to them and predicted that by the time this all is over, pretty much everyone's going to know someone who died or had life changing complications from it.

Are you me

You're right though, the selfishness is quite staggering

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Personally I can't wait until Hollywood script writers can capitalize on this worldwide pandemic and all the death and suffering.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

canyoneer posted:

dunk the police

Rangers and FWS/DNR folks are generally cool as gently caress and hate police as much as the next dude. They just deal with infinitely more bullshit because people don’t realize they have authority.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Personally I can't wait until Hollywood script writers can capitalize on this worldwide pandemic and all the death and suffering.

How long was it before the first 9/11 movie came out breathlessly to profit off of people’s emotions? Like 4 years?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

canyoneer posted:

dunk the police

A month ago, before my parents started really taking it seriously, I was talking to them and predicted that by the time this all is over, pretty much everyone's going to know someone who died or had life changing complications from it. Yesterday, I found out that a high school friend's mother died from the 'rona last week. I didn't know her mom well, but she gave me a ride home from school a couple times.

It is INFURIATING to see how casual some of our friends and acquaintances are about this whole thing.

I hope the dumbass 20 something gets 30 days in the local,corona lock up. Grinning motherfucker.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Hazo posted:

How long was it before the first 9/11 movie came out breathlessly to profit off of people’s emotions? Like 4 years?

That sounds about right. those four years after 9/11 there was (seemingly) progress made in Afghanistan and the more recent Iraq War. It wasn't until near 05' and 06' when it stopped being profitable for the media to cover

Now this pandemic is different because there will be an almost never-ending demand for actors pretending to be doctors and nurses, and that by retelling this over and over, they know they have done their part in helping

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hazo posted:

Rangers and FWS/DNR folks are generally cool as gently caress and hate police as much as the next dude. They just deal with infinitely more bullshit because people don’t realize they have authority.

I believe dnr actually has more power wrt search and seizure. So yeah

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

That sounds about right. those four years after 9/11 there was (seemingly) progress made in Afghanistan and the more recent Iraq War. It wasn't until near 05' and 06' when it stopped being profitable for the media to cover

Now this pandemic is different because there will be an almost never-ending demand for actors pretending to be doctors and nurses, and that by retelling this over and over, they know they have done their part in helping

There have been 59 and the first one came out in 2002. (25th Hour)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hazo posted:

Totally agree. I really wanted to make that joke though.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
25th Hour is awesome though

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Burt Sexual posted:

I believe dnr actually has more power wrt search and seizure. So yeah

Back in grad school I had to get research permits for the types of fishing I was doing (gilnetting and long lining) so I got close with a few DNR dudes, and one of my favorite pastimes was seeing them out on the water busting random idiot dudes who “didn’t know they needed a fishing license” in federally protected areas.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I got a book from a Humble Bundle written by a career Minnesota game and fish warden just full of fish cop stories and it was amazing.
Highlights include: transporting a tranquilized baby bear in his truck cab and having it wake up, stealthily swimming through a lake at night to catch fish poachers, and finding cleverly concealed ice chests in car searches full of over-limit fish.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

Five feet apart came last year, time for the sequel six feet apart.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Fairly certain they can enter your house without a warrant just probable cause. Or is that the case w all police? I’d imagine in rona time that may be abused.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It's almost like perfect doesn't have to be the enemy of good and these small interventions add up to a lower probability of transmission even if you don't adhere to them completely.

Yes, exactly. There was a study that showed infected people coughing through masks onto a petri dish was not a perfect barrier, so the headlines were how masks are "ineffective". The thing is, a cloth mask reduced viral load a lot.

A hell of a lot.

There aren't similar studies showing if they reduce the number of viral particles inhaled or not. But with a layman's knowledge of physics it seems like a mask that can block 80% of particles coming out of a sick person during a high velocity cough should also be able to block some particles from passing from front to back, especially if breathing normally rather than coughing. Even if the protection was tiny, if say 10% of the people who would have caught the roni when bare faced don't catch it if they wear a clean mask, that's fantastic. A tiny amount of protection for a tiny amount of inconvinece is great.

And we're back to health departments saying that cloth masks are "not proven" to help, but then internally acting as if they do help. In nursing homes, even nursing homes with active covid infections, many areas are issuing cloth masks or surgical mask to workers and residents because that's all they have. If the masks did nothing, or as some mused actually made things worse by encouraging idiots to touch their faces more, then it would be irresponsible to issue these masks.

references:
https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2764367/effectiveness-surgical-cotton-masks-blocking-sars-cov-2-controlled-comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMHySlDqpUw&t=900s

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

it seems pretty basic: coronavirus is spread through droplets produced when people cough, talk, breathe heavily, etc. if you have something in front of your mouth that can catch your droplets of spit, it's going to limit how many viruses can be spread through the air to other people

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

My neighbor's kids turned 8 and they had a drive-by birthday well wish and drop-off thing. It was nice, polite, distant.

Except for anyone over 65 who would inevitably park and pop out and gab and shuffle on after some photos :hmmyes:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes, exactly. There was a study that showed infected people coughing through masks onto a petri dish was not a perfect barrier, so the headlines were how masks are "ineffective". The thing is, a cloth mask reduced viral load a lot.

A hell of a lot.

There aren't similar studies showing if they reduce the number of viral particles inhaled or not. But with a layman's knowledge of physics it seems like a mask that can block 80% of particles coming out of a sick person during a high velocity cough should also be able to block some particles from passing from front to back, especially if breathing normally rather than coughing. Even if the protection was tiny, if say 10% of the people who would have caught the roni when bare faced don't catch it if they wear a clean mask, that's fantastic. A tiny amount of protection for a tiny amount of inconvinece is great.

And we're back to health departments saying that cloth masks are "not proven" to help, but then internally acting as if they do help. In nursing homes, even nursing homes with active covid infections, many areas are issuing cloth masks or surgical mask to workers and residents because that's all they have. If the masks did nothing, or as some mused actually made things worse by encouraging idiots to touch their faces more, then it would be irresponsible to issue these masks.

references:
https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2764367/effectiveness-surgical-cotton-masks-blocking-sars-cov-2-controlled-comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMHySlDqpUw&t=900s

goethe.cx posted:

it seems pretty basic: coronavirus is spread through droplets produced when people cough, talk, breathe heavily, etc. if you have something in front of your mouth that can catch your droplets of spit, it's going to limit how many viruses can be spread through the air to other people

Good posts. Idg why people argue this with weird fervor arguing Science doesn’t support it through research today! What’s it matter? Just do it dumbass some better than nothing. Clearly. Who the gently caress cares if they wear them in the car, or in their house, or doing yard work. Get off my loving grass!

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
yeah but you're still supposed to social distance even with a mask, and people are starting to crowd and act like you don't have to. I asked a boomer to move back in a grocery lineup yesterday because he was breathing down my neck, except with a mask on, and he said he didn't have to, he had a mask - but ample room to be two meters behind me. I reminded him that the municipal, provincial and federal guidelines instituted social distancing but not mask wearing and he replied "gently caress off and go back to your computer, nerd"

I'm all for masks but not if it starts to institute this false sense of security and incomprehensible stupidity

hrollins
May 20, 2003
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter

Huggybear posted:

yeah but you're still supposed to social distance even with a mask, and people are starting to crowd and act like you don't have to. I asked a boomer to move back in a grocery lineup yesterday because he was breathing down my neck, except with a mask on, and he said he didn't have to, he had a mask - but ample room to be two meters behind me. I reminded him that the municipal, provincial and federal guidelines instituted social distancing but not mask wearing and he replied "gently caress off and go back to your computer, nerd"

I'm all for masks but not if it starts to institute this false sense of security and incomprehensible stupidity

He's just trying to die, maybe he'll get his wish.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Fargin Icehole posted:

can't wait to see michael bay's take on sitting at home bored for 18 months

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

canyoneer posted:

I got a book from a Humble Bundle written by a career Minnesota game and fish warden just full of fish cop stories and it was amazing.
Highlights include: transporting a tranquilized baby bear in his truck cab and having it wake up, stealthily swimming through a lake at night to catch fish poachers, and finding cleverly concealed ice chests in car searches full of over-limit fish.

If you liked that there's a very similar book by a retired Maine game warden called Suddenly the cider didn't taste so good.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well we start to reopen here in FL tomorrow, should be fun when we see a big spike next Monday

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Yellow Yoshi posted:

Breathing into the mask all day is hot and uncomfortable
Remember personal comfort is paramount

No one should be out at a store for an extended period of time or anywhere else at all for non-essential reasons, so the idea that anyone is breathing into their mask all day, besides health care workers, retail employees, and select other essential workers, is insanely stupid.

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

Burt Sexual posted:

I get pills-by-mail (prescription)

I was able to switch my meds to mail order, except for one: they refuse to fill my asthma medication by mail. Which of course makes perfect sense during a lung-attacking viral pandemic.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

No one should be out at a store for an extended period of time or anywhere else at all for non-essential reasons, so the idea that anyone is breathing into their mask all day, besides health care workers, retail employees, and select other essential workers, is insanely stupid.

My office can’t wait to open back up, the plan is to make all of us wear a mask for 9 hours even though we are just computer touchers.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
A friend of mine recently presented and interesting point of view. He's African American and believes that any kind of suspicious activity, like wearing a mask, would significantly increase his chances of being shot by a police officer. Based on my personal experience and all the black lives matter stuff, I believe that minorities may not have the luxury of ppe. At the very least, they would be less likely to use masks out of fear of violence.

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747
Local market has massively dropped prices at their in-house butcher. I have secured countless pounds of steak, ground beef, and sausages of all varieties, except the polish(which is most evil and profane), and now they rest in my freezer, tucked away for a time when I am no longer sick of eating beef(I've eaten a lot of beef these past few weeks..).

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

RVWinkle posted:

A friend of mine recently presented and interesting point of view. He's African American and believes that any kind of suspicious activity, like wearing a mask, would significantly increase his chances of being shot by a police officer. Based on my personal experience and all the black lives matter stuff, I believe that minorities may not have the luxury of ppe. At the very least, they would be less likely to use masks out of fear of violence.

Someone spread a meme about not wearing masks in solidarity with minorities to make the chuds start wearing their masks.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

hrollins posted:

He's just trying to die, maybe he'll get his wish.

At this point I'm convinced people are legit wanting to drag people down into the depths of their own despair.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
loving nerds will spend hours min-maxing weapons with a 2% stats gain in video games but if a mask doesn't give 100% protection ITS USELESS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

loving nerds will spend hours min-maxing weapons with a 2% stats gain in video games but if a mask doesn't give 100% protection ITS USELESS

Level 1 commoners have a small but non‐negligible chance to crit and instakill characters of any level.

You have in your inventory—or can craft from trash items—a piece of armour that reduce this crit chance. Players debate the numbers for the reduction, but does it matter? If the slot doesn’t have a mask in it, it goes empty.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I just don't like how it looks on my character, man. I'll just buy some extra potions.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

I get pills-by-mail (prescription)

One of my prescriptions can't be mailed (by law) so unfortunately I have to go in for it.

If I could I'd avoid even the small act of going to the pharmacy once a month. One of my friends in Norway landed in the hospital with the roni after going to the supermarket. Tested positive yada yada. Had to test negative twice on two separate days before he was able to get released, which is more than I've heard happening in the US. But really it just hits home that you could get unlucky and contract it. I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place; I can't just not take my medication but if I get my household sick and something happened I don't know how I'd live with that.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
My province rolled out Canada's first contact tracing app, and I am now working to support it. If you told me at the start of the year my work would shift to something pandemic related I wouldn't have believed it. Now that's the reality, and it's surreal

Additional tools for contact tracing is cool and I hope they can smooth things out and get a wider adoption

They just can't wait to get that economy back up and I'm not jumping back into it when the doors open

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747
My local pharmacy are a bunch of loving dickheads who are trying to charge my insurance too much money to fill a prescription, and so I have to drive 50 miles to the nearest suburb to pick it up, and it's causing me a lot of anxiety to do so. It's funny that my local pharmacy says that they require prior authorization from my insurance to fill the prescription(a generic), and then I say, "wow no time for that, time to go elsewhere", and then I take it elsewhere and it's immediately filed for zero dollars. It makes me really upset because I'm trying to reduce the amount of time away from my rural area to near zero, and here comes pharmacy fuckheads incorporated to throw a spanner into minimizing my away time from the rural area I live in.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Burt Sexual posted:

Good posts. Idg why people argue this with weird fervor arguing Science doesn’t support it through research today! What’s it matter? Just do it dumbass some better than nothing. Clearly. Who the gently caress cares if they wear them in the car, or in their house, or doing yard work. Get off my loving grass!

If it's not 100% it has to be 0% bizzaro Zack Snyder logic.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
have you guys heard of this wuhan virology clinic? I was told they are bad hombres, up to no good. sad!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
experimenting with bat viruses and breeding them to infect human lung tissue sounds poorly thought out. i just hope something bad doesnt happen!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I mentioned before that Brooks Alberta is a massive hot spot (they figure 1 in 15 people has Covid there) because of the meat packing plant. The plant employs a lot of new immigrants from Africa, and since they're trying to save up money to send home or bring their families to Canada you have a lot of homes with upwards of 10 people living in them at once. I guess social distancing at the plant was laughable, and the cultural issues and general ignorance about the spread of Covid has made the place infection central.

My brother knows a guy who is a teacher for the school board there, who knows an EMT, and he says that pretty much every dwelling that has a situation where there are a bunch of guys living together is guaranteed to have a case, which means that it's likely that everyone will eventually have a case. The teacher was saying that social distancing is difficult, and there have been some heated situations where people are getting groceries and the packing plant workers are invading space to get items (reaching around or over people, following too close, etc.). He was in the check out line to get his weekly groceries (masked up, wearing a rain coat since it's easy to wash) and he felt someone's breath on the back of his neck. He turned around and there was (likely a packing plant worker) inches from him, just literally breathing down his neck. I guess nowhere in Brooks is safe, as the number of cases are huge, and the plant workers are basically playing musical chairs with dwellings, as when one person gets sick, they switch to a new place to avoid him, but don't realize that they might already be a carrier and infectious. Also the limiting of gatherings is not working as he's seen plant workers having BBQs with upwards of 20 people crammed into a back yard.

The EMT friend figures that the number of cases is easily 2-3x more than the official 750+ the news is reporting, and they'll have to have some sort of roadblock to keep cases from fanning out as there are vans full of workers coming and going from the city non-stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i'm in australia which is talking about opening back up given the low number of cases

but as of today, someone in my huge office building is being tested for covid lol