Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

For any rich fans of that content, I'm a stoner with a philosophy degreeI will Skype you super high for $100 an hour (plus weed expenses). Guaranteed one rambling rant on the nature of reality. I'll get a lava lamp to stare at for 1k/mo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched Legend last night, the 2015 film about Reggie and Ronnie Kray of London's East End, and it was a meandering mess of a film that barely went anywhere.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

hiding a two star review between tom hardys heads was the only good or innovative thing that came out of that movie

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
It's the kind of film that couldn't decide what genre it wanted to be.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

T-man posted:

For any rich fans of that content, I'm a stoner with a philosophy degreeI will Skype you super high for $100 an hour (plus weed expenses). Guaranteed one rambling rant on the nature of reality. I'll get a lava lamp to stare at for 1k/mo

The more I think about it, the more kinda insulting the videos accompanying each conversation are until the speakers’ outlook starts to mirror Duncan’s own.

1: little authority man talks about drugs being neither good nor bad and having an extreme potential to harm. The scenario involves zombies that only look dangerous when you’re not yet one of them; when you stop trying to assert your authority you find out they’re one big happy stateless collective living a trippy dippy acid paradise. This is ruined by doctors and other authority figures trying to cure what they can’t understand, thereby ending the world.

2: passive woman extolling the spiritual virtues of accepting death, dying and learning to serve your fellow man through loving engagement with the world and acceptance of its transient nature. This woman is presented as a docile cow like animal, drugged up with “Nirvanex” and fed into a grinder, whereupon she becomes a scarcely differentiated part of a meat product that is pumped through tubing while terrorist and authority parasite factions battle for control. Everything is destroyed in the conflict

3: a woman discusses the nature of forgiveness and acceptance, and living those values without becoming a pushover. Her character is a warrior that cheats and kills in a mission to bring her husband back to life and kill some kind of demon imp thing (I think voiced by Pauly Shore?). This ends with initial success, but inevitably the world is destroyed by the energy released when the demon expires.

4. A man talks about the history and esoteric purpose of the western ceremonial magical tradition. He is represented by a goldfish in a robot suit that first constructs then sacrifices its body, piece by piece, echoing Ishtar’s descent into the underworld. The new solar body then awakens & gets into a fight with a sleeping giant over claims that the prior hosed the latter’s wife. The resulting fight destroys the world.

5. This is where the speakers and their subject matter begin to align more with Duncan’s preferences. A man describes the history of Buddhism and its basic, white boy, mythology free basic principles. Samsara is depicted through a prisoner repeatedly dying and returning to the beginning of a prison break until he achieves Buddha consciousness and transcends his attachment to suffering. He peacefully disappears.

6. This one has the most story, mainly dealing with the fact that our main character is doing all of this in an attempt to escape the issues in his own life. Pissy and bummed out after the events of the episode transpire, he has a short discussion with a man about how the point of meditation isn’t enlightenment, but rather cultivating a mindfulness that leads to the aspirant discarding mental clutter, truly experiencing people and events as they are. No planets die, though the main character mistakenly thinks he’s enlightened.

7. The main character speaks with a woman that lays out the manner in which she believes the death/grieving process in the west has been disrupted (she lays the blame on law/the state, even after describing how capitalist hustlers commodified death in order to enrich themselves. It feels glibly libertarian). She is portrayed as death. She doesn’t do much. There’s also some stuff about learning to accept the parts of yourself you don’t like, such as jerking off.

8. Duncan interviews his mom, who is dying/already dead from breast cancer. The entire conversation and animation is kinda dopey, but there’s some genuine emotion on display because a real person is talking to his real mom who is really dying. It’s ends on a saccharine note with the main character entering a magical mystery bus full of all the characters they met. Ram Dass tells him to “be here now”.

It’s like, while Trussell interviews the first four people respectfully, the accompanying animation betrays the fact that he kinda looks down on them. Only the last five interviews have animations which indicate he has any respect for the ideas being expressed, and it seems mainly to be because they’re his ideas being repeated back to him.

I have now given this show more attention than it deserves. I am a stupid man.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

this Welsh guerrilla TV show came across my twitter timeline. looks as wild as 80s British TV can allow.
https://twitter.com/MoviesWales/status/1256157357295448070?s=20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CurRpNXduV8

love this youtube comment

quote:

The plot of the series makes no sense because, in real life, the
"Knights of God" would have failed in their attempt to take over Britain
because Britain would have invoked the NATO collective security clause
and then the Americans would wipe the floor with the insurgents.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

anyone watching this upload tv show? its kinda that episode of black mirror where people who die get uploaded to heaven except heaven is a capitalist shithole. its pretty good so far

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Sounds a bit like Permutation City by Greg Egan (notice me sempai) so I'll probably check it out

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

rewatched Air Force one right after Chapo and trueanon’s refreshers on yeltsin and hoo boy:

-just nodded at everything Gary oldman had to say
-lol at the us repeatedly tripping on their dick by kidnapping a foreign leader on orders of a puppet Russian president to start the whole plot then killing said leader on the orders of said puppet as he’s walking triumphantly out of prison then shooting down jets over sovereign airspace like holy poo poo how could that have no repercussions, not to mention the communist forces still controlled Kazakh airfields enough to launch fighters
-they had to make the mustache-twirling General a genocidiere just to justify any of the preceding (they don’t even say against whom because I’m sure the writers had no clue where Kazakhstan even was until the art department had to make the map for the radar display)
-decorum-poisoned veep doesn’t 25A the president for some reason and is never justified
-many people think “get off my plane” is the highlight of the movie. nope, it’s the prisoners singing the internationale over AF1’s PA system

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's a certain theme that keeps coming up in those 90s techno-thrillers where the new Russia is always either a democracy that's just about to be couped by hard-line communists and the US has to come in and save them before that happens, or it's already happened and the US has to clean-up the mess.

It's never assumed that Russia would become capitalist as the US intended, but end up being antagonistic towards the US anyway.

Although in the early aughts there were a couple (I guess more in the video game space) that changed the baddies to ultranationalists, I guess because resurgent communism was already too far-fetched to be credible.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
josie and the pussycats deserves a criterion edition

literally nothing will age as hard as this movie and it is perfect and hilarious

it is among the best movies of its decade, the worst decade in pop cultural history in forever

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
2007 was the greatest year for movies ever though

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's a certain theme that keeps coming up in those 90s techno-thrillers where the new Russia is always either a democracy that's just about to be couped by hard-line communists and the US has to come in and save them before that happens, or it's already happened and the US has to clean-up the mess.

It's never assumed that Russia would become capitalist as the US intended, but end up being antagonistic towards the US anyway.

Although in the early aughts there were a couple (I guess more in the video game space) that changed the baddies to ultranationalists, I guess because resurgent communism was already too far-fetched to be credible.

If Hollywood writers learned about the National Bolsheviks in the 1990s, they would have been the villains of every action movie until September 2001.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
the 90s were a fun time because with the soviets gone hollywood couldn't think of a big villain, either communists trying to bring back the ussr or ECO TERRORISTS

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
weirdly not many action movies got made that had right wing terrorists be the villains despite all the murdering they did

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

You’d still see drug dealers with racially diverse gangs as big bads sometimes, though a lot of that was spillover from the 80s.

Peanut President posted:

weirdly not many action movies got made that had right wing terrorists be the villains despite all the murdering they did

True, but The Rock would count, right?

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
weren't the bad guys in die hard 3 like German neo nazis or something? of course it turned out they're just thieves like in every die hard

Serf
May 5, 2011

i watched "extraction" on netflix and it was okay. for a 2 hour action movie to only have 2 action scenes felt weird, even if they were pretty big and impressive scenes. it does a continuous shot for the first action scene but the cuts are so obvious that it just felt a little lame to see the gimmick used so poorly. having regular cuts wouldn't have changed anything. chris hemsworth does his thing but the other action guy of the film, randeep hooda, was a big surprise. it was a lot of fun to see him turn out to be a badass and he was given some nice action moments during the big scenes

also if you want to see chris hemsworth start bitch slapping a gang of armed and angry bangladeshi children then this is the movie for you

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Seemed to be a common thing in 90s action movies where the bad guy would seemingly be ideologically motivated but then be revealed to be insincere, but the revelation would really serve no plot purpose (like, the revelation wouldn’t ever cause any dissension in his ranks or cause any of his henchmen to turn face). So it would leave you wondering what the point of any of it was.

I guess it was probably just 90s Guy projection. “Of course the bad guys don’t really believe in anything other than money, they’re just humans like the rest of us.”

General Dog has issued a correction as of 21:41 on May 3, 2020

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Aglet56 posted:

weren't the bad guys in die hard 3 like German neo nazis or something? of course it turned out they're just thieves like in every die hard

Former East German military turned into mercenaries. It turning out that Simon is Hans’s brother, but he doesn’t actually give a poo poo that John killed Hans because Hans was an rear end in a top hat and it was all a cover for stealing the gold was pretty fun.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

General Dog posted:

Seemed to be a common thing in 90s action movies where the bad guy would seemingly be ideologically motivated but then be revealed to be insincere, but the revelation would really serve no plot purpose (like, the revelation wouldn’t ever cause any dissension in his ranks or cause any of his henchmen to turn face). So it would leave you wondering what the point of any of it was.

I think Reagan's 80s, the fall of the Berlin Wall and the Soviet Union's eventual collapse left a pretty strong impression on American establishment writers (as well as a lot of plain ol Americans) that any antagonistic actions taken by groups that excuse themselves with high minded ideology are secret plots to just get our cool stuff without working for it. Making your enemy an equal spouting insincere polemic was the more high minded, albeit cynically sneering, liberal option that stuck around until 9/11, at which point it was ok to go back to seeing anyone that might bother us as rabid animals.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Dog posted:

I guess it was probably just 90s Guy projection. “Of course the bad guys don’t really believe in anything other than money, they’re just humans like the rest of us.”

Weird I wonder how that functions in suppressing anti capitalist feelings in culture, oh well

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Plus Gen X's greatest fear is fake friends

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder why they have the bad guy in black panther say emancipatory anti capitalist stuff :thunk:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I wonder why they have the bad guy in black panther say emancipatory anti capitalist stuff :thunk:

To be fair, the movie doesn’t really ever paint him as insincere. It just paints him as a rabid dog with a few valid concerns.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

General Dog posted:

2007 was the greatest year for movies ever though

1999 was

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I remember him saying a bunch of stuff about the liberation of minorities but I don't remember him ever talking about economics. Just racism. Not saying omission doesn't amount to the same thing though, Because of course Black Panther at the end of the movie decides the solution is for Wakanda to invest in businesses in minority neighborhoods.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

General Dog posted:

They were still doing this as late as The Equalizer 2

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

General Dog posted:

thats also a central plot point of die hard which is what all 90s action movies rip off because you coudlnt just make movies about shirtless buff men walking forward in the open firing machine guns anymore

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the ultimate 2000s bullshit plot is like russian ultranationalists teaming up with very very vaguely dick cheney esque republicans and blackwater to do an evil scheme thats just the iraq war

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Farm Frenzy posted:

very very vaguely dick cheney esque republicans and blackwater to do an evil scheme

the Mark Wahlberg Shooter movie was good

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

General Dog posted:

Air Force One was genuinely ideologically motivated, Radek was the military dictator of Kazakhstan, a former Soviet officer who wanted to use his nuclear arsenal to retake Russia and create a new Soviet Union if I recall correctly

gary oldman being all like "You talk as if you have nothing to do with this! This is all of your doing, this infection you call freedom, without meaning, without purpose. You have given my country to gangsters and prostitutes. You have taken everything from us! There is nothing left! (spits at harrison ford)"

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 03:04 on May 4, 2020

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

my favorite example of the ideological head fake is Tommy Lee Jones in Under Siege as rogue CIA officer Bill Strannix who pretends to be a psychotic, vague 60s revolutionary when in reality, he only wants to smuggle the battleships nuclear armed tomahawks onto a stolen submarine to sell the nukes on the black market.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

They were still doing this as late as The Equalizer 2

the little I saw of the Equalizer movies made them seem incredibly 90s

Farm Frenzy posted:

the ultimate 2000s bullshit plot is like russian ultranationalists teaming up with very very vaguely dick cheney esque republicans and blackwater to do an evil scheme thats just the iraq war

oh, so this is how Russiagate started

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Egg Moron posted:

my favorite example of the ideological head fake is Tommy Lee Jones in Under Siege as rogue CIA officer Bill Strannix who pretends to be a psychotic, vague 60s revolutionary when in reality, he only wants to smuggle the battleships nuclear armed tomahawks onto a stolen submarine to sell the nukes on the black market.

He looks like a college campus police officer trying to infiltrate a dorm party.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Egg Moron posted:

Air Force One was genuinely ideologically motivated, Radek was the military dictator of Kazakhstan, a former Soviet officer who wanted to use his nuclear arsenal to retake Russia and create a new Soviet Union if I recall correctly

gary oldman being all like "You talk as if you have nothing to do with this! This is all of your doing, this infection you call freedom, without meaning, without purpose. You have given my country to gangsters and prostitutes. You have taken everything from us! There is nothing left! (spits at harrison ford)"

my headcanon ending of af1 is that the nukes start flying after the extrajudicial abduction and murder of a sovereign head of state

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

theflyingexecutive posted:

my headcanon ending of af1 is that the nukes start flying after the extrajudicial abduction and murder of a sovereign head of state

reminds me, wouldn't Top Gun almost certainly result in nuclear exchange?

Fighter jets are a mythology entirely built on Cold War cockteasing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

reminds me, wouldn't Top Gun almost certainly result in nuclear exchange?

Fighter jets are a mythology entirely built on Cold War cockteasing

The pivotal engagement in Top Gun, released in 1986, was very similar the Gulf of Sidra incident in 1981, when two Libyan Su-22s were shot down by two F-14 Tomcats.

It's never really clear which bad country was the supposed aggressor in the movie, but I suppose if it was directly/absolutely Soviet MiGs flown by Soviet pilots, then yes, that would almost certainly have escalated into nuclear war.

But if it was one of the smaller Soviet-bloc / Soviet-aligned nations, then it might not have gone further than what historically happened with Libya (although there would be another two similar aerial engagements in the same area before the decade was out).

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i liked how the big climactic dogfight in top gun is literally presented as the americans breaking international law to violate soviet airspace and were just supposed to uncritically think of this as reasonable and just and not wonder how wed react if the russians were shooting down american planes in american territory instead of just sending us a distress call and asking us to pick up their dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

What actually IS the cal arts style