Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Grizzco Charger got a lot of people killed the first time since it uses up all your ink in the blink of an eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Uhhh, are the detached joycons made explicitly for Splatoon? I was struggling a lot just walking without staring at the floor, then ditched the pro controller and now I can get toe to toe against high levels and put up a bit of a fight instead of rolling over. I actually carried a 3v4 fight to victory... It's almost like using a mouse, absolutely insane difference.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 4, 2020

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Grizzco Charger got a lot of people killed the first time since it uses up all your ink in the blink of an eye.

Insofar as the grizzco weapons have a weakness, I think this is it. None of them have very good ink efficiency. Brella and shooter are less bad than the other two though.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

you can always tell a 999er from how they handle the g-charger

999er: aim-BLAM-aim-BLAM BLAM *splats everything*
peter prawnciple: *unloads entire tank into the front of a scrapper, gets splatted by a single smallfry, blames weapon*

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Smiles posted:

you can always tell a 999er from how they handle the g-charger

999er: aim-BLAM-aim-BLAM BLAM *splats everything*
peter prawnciple: *unloads entire tank into the front of a scrapper, gets splatted by a single smallfry, blames weapon*

I'm not going to claim I'm good with the Grizzco splosher and charger, but I've gotten better with them, and yeah, one of the things that's helped me is resisting the temptation to kill everything and ink turf all over the place. Like, if I see one snatcher, I'm probably just going to let him have the egg unless there's nothing else around me and I'll have a chance to recover ink after taking out one pathetic small guy with a quarter of my ink tank.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Tafferling posted:

Uhhh, are the detached joycons made explicitly for Splatoon? I was struggling a lot just walking without staring at the floor, then ditched the pro controller and now I can get toe to toe against high levels and put up a bit of a fight instead of rolling over. I actually carried a 3v4 fight to victory... It's almost like using a mouse, absolutely insane difference.

Yeah, as a mouse and keyboard player I loved detached Joycons because of that. I didn't own a pro controller at the time though, I probably should get back into the game and give it a chance.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

I'll give Splatoon something. Salmon Run has been the most foul mouthed I've ever been in a video game.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nah World of Tanks was infuriating for all the same reasons but with five times as many potentially disappointing teammates and much less hope of carrying them

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

I've never been mad during salmon run

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
All Salmon Run needs is an option to change 'Booyeah' to 'PUT THE EGGS IN THE GODDAMN BASKET'

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I'm so useless in Salmon Run when I get that bucket

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I won't say I was ever actually good but I'm super rusty... this is gonna be a rough fest.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Golux posted:

Insofar as the grizzco weapons have a weakness, I think this is it. None of them have very good ink efficiency. Brella and shooter are less bad than the other two though.

Pretty much. Lots of power, terrible ink efficiency is the name of the game for the GrizzCo weapons. That being said, the Blaster is probably the most ink efficient of the bunch. Every single weapon in the game has a mechanic where after firing a shot, you cannot recover ink for a certain time period (Usually 20/60ths of a second, but that's not the case for all weapons. Especially the ones with a slow fire rate.) The reason that's there is because if it wasn't, you would be able to recover ink between shots. The GrizzCo Blaster on the other hand, is designed as such that you can recover ink between shots, letting your ink tank go a lot farther than it normally does.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tafferling posted:

You should totally get the Splatoon coloured ones. I do fine with my Splatoon limited edition Pro controller (despite the stiff X button) but everyone's different, and sometimes you just find a control scheme that clicks for you.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I keep letting my team down on Salmon Run because I don't know how to effectively use the heavy blaster/gatling guns well
Any advice is appreciated

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Had a rad goon private room match in thunderdomes where all of the domes were contested for a good 30 seconds after they went down.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I said it in the voice chat but that was probably the dumbest thunderdome match I’ve ever played, everyone just kept jumping in long past after the domes came down. It was great lol

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

the corona quid posted:

I said it in the voice chat but that was probably the dumbest thunderdome match I’ve ever played, everyone just kept jumping in long past after the domes came down. It was great lol

I think that was the first time I had ever seen that strat. Clown carring the domes seems so obvious in retrospect.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

LemonLimeSoda posted:

I keep letting my team down on Salmon Run because I don't know how to effectively use the heavy blaster/gatling guns well
Any advice is appreciated
You will want to treat them as movable turrets as the charge up time make moving fast nearly impossible. The key is though they all have good range and fire rate* but they depend heavily on their charge state. The first charge level increases the range and firing duration, while the second level is faster to charge and increases the firing duration even further, but has no effect on range. Because of all this you should be standing a bit back and trying to think ahead while your charging and picking your targets so once you start firing you have an idea where you want to sweep the shots. This is super true of the Hydra, it loses a ton of oomph if it doesn't have least the first charge level.

There is a degree of straight practice needed as the timing of all this has to be learned so you can get in the rhythm of having your shots come out in crazy bursts while often finding you need to move and protect yourself the best you can. The best way to do the later is to be up on high ground aiming for bosses & cohocks since they all soak up damage and/or be harder to hit for rapid close range weapons. Also with time you will learn charge time vs # of shots you get to drop something right on top of you with a partial charge.

*The mini splatling is a goofy splattershoot and can be used about in the same way since the charge time is so fast.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 8, 2020

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
The Gatling gun is really good at taking down those stupid bulb throwing bosses because the sea of ink created by their bombs isn't an issue with your range.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

I think of splatlings as being more like chargers than anything else since they share charge up time and good range.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

LethalGeek posted:

You will want to treat them as movable turrets as the charge up time make moving fast nearly impossible. The key is though they all have good range and fire rate* but they depend heavily on their charge state. The first charge level increases the range and firing duration, while the second level is faster to charge and increases the firing duration even further, but has no effect on range. Because of all this you should be standing a bit back and trying to think ahead while your charging and picking your targets so once you start firing you have an idea where you want to sweep the shots. This is super true of the Hydra, it loses a ton of oomph if it doesn't have least the first charge level.

There is a degree of straight practice needed as the timing of all this has to be learned so you can get in the rhythm of having your shots come out in crazy bursts while often finding you need to move and protect yourself the best you can. The best way to do the later is to be up on high ground aiming for bosses & cohocks since they all soak up damage and/or be harder to hit for rapid close range weapons. Also with time you will learn charge time vs # of shots you get to drop something right on top of you with a partial charge.

*The mini splatling is a goofy splattershoot and can be used about in the same way since the charge time is so fast.

This is solid advice, thanks a lot!

night slime
May 14, 2014
What does the no cloud save thing mean for someone playing on a Switch Lite and who might buy and play on a regular Switch down the line when they're back in stock? Will I have to restart my level/gear all over again on the same shared Nintendo Account? Are the saves just tied to a console?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

night slime posted:

What does the no cloud save thing mean for someone playing on a Switch Lite and who might buy and play on a regular Switch down the line when they're back in stock? Will I have to restart my level/gear all over again on the same shared Nintendo Account? Are the saves just tied to a console?

You can transfer a Splatoon 2 save between consoles with the built-in save migration tool. It'll wipe the save on your Lite but then you'll have it on the other Switch.

It's pretty goofy but it's an option.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The mini splatling iirc is considered one of the best weapons in Salmon Run. In general it's similar to tactics in PvP; you want to get yourself into a good position every time you fire, which can be easier since Salmonids are relatively predictable.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I have a tendency to get into the heart of the action to pick up the golden eggs and I can easily get overwhelmed so the gatling isn't good for me but that's a personal problem and not the weapons' fault

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

LethalGeek posted:

Good advice all around, though some caveats to account for the other Splatling types.

Remember to value partial charges as well, as sometimes you don't need to use up all that ink, and it'll be a waste to keep shooting if there aren't any Salmonids around, or there's no need to paint. Or you won't have a choice and it's better to fire now, instead of getting splatted in the middle of a charge and never firing at all. Remember that you can go into squid/octo form during a charge to cancel it and avoid wasting all that ink if you realize you don't need to fire.

Hydra Splatling: Hydra Splatling has an attribute in PVP where the bullets get a damage boost if you reach full charge. This is also true of Salmon Run, however the damage boost is significantly greater, as it goes from 35 base damage to a whopping 60! Not only is this a massive DPS increase, this also lets it do stuff like instantly kill stinger pots where it had to 2HKO them before. Not only that, but the Hydra is capable of driving off the Mothership with 1 charge no matter what difficulty you're at. Just don't drive off the Mothership too early if your team is planning on exploiting it for eggs.

Nautilus 47: Most of what Lethal Geek said about charges doesn't really apply here. The Nautilus is rather unique in that as long as you aren't tap shotting, it fires full power shots from the get go, no matter what level of charge you are at. All charging does is increase the duration at which you fire, and the 2nd level of charge doesn't charge any faster than level 1. This basically means the "level of charge" is entirely cosmetic in the Nautilus' case. You can basically just think of it as one big ring. Not only that, but this has the ability to recharge while firing, and you can swim to keep your partial charge for 2.5 seconds, making it a very mobile Splatling. It also has laser bullets, as the shots fly out so fast this weapon is basically a hitscan weapon. Can get you out of some sticky situations better than other Splatlings as a result.

Ballpoint Splatling: This thing basically dethroned the Mini Splatling as the king of Splatlings in Salmon Run when it got released. The fact that it has 2 modes of firing kind of matters more in Salmon Run, as you are essentially using 2 different weapons at once and swapping between them as needed. When starting to fire, it'll spray out bullets like no tomorrow at a short range, but after a second, it'll switch to a longer range mode that expels bullets a bit more slowly. This means you can swap between a close range combat mode that shreds Salmonids like no tomorrow, and a long range mode with more utility, supporting your team from a good distance away. Like the Nautilus, it too has the ability to recharge while firing.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 9, 2020

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I absolutely forgot the Nautilus even existed lol. Yeah I don't even think of it like the rest it is very much its own unique toy.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I was cleaning up the old Wii U external drive to repurpose it as network storage and decided to boot up old Splatoon 1. Which took forever holy hell this system is slow.

It was almost uncanny valley feeling after being on S2 for so long. Also the maps are way smaller.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

LethalGeek posted:

I was cleaning up the old Wii U external drive to repurpose it as network storage and decided to boot up old Splatoon 1. Which took forever holy hell this system is slow.

It was almost uncanny valley feeling after being on S2 for so long. Also the maps are way smaller.
I want to do this, but the roller doesn't have jump flick in S1, and I feel like that would be a bad time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ll probably go back to 1 when Nintendo announces the Wii U servers are going down. I do miss some of the maps like Urchin Underpass and Saltspray Rig. It’s a shame they never got in 2.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I just bought Splatoon 2 and started playing it for the first time on a whim and am having lots of fun. Are there any deep strats I should be looking up to get better?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Sinten posted:

I just bought Splatoon 2 and started playing it for the first time on a whim and am having lots of fun. Are there any deep strats I should be looking up to get better?

always booyah back

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sinten posted:

Use motion controls. Experiment with the many different weapon types. Dress fresh. Always booyah back.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

always booyah back

SeANMcBAY posted:

Always booyah back.

ALWAYS

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

gonna go against the grain here and say i booyah only when a squid deserves it:

a squid who uses their inkjet at the start of the wave to float over the water and do nothing else with it? your booyahs fall on deaf ears and i will leave you to die

a squid who uses their sting ray on the mothership at the perfect time as it approaches to maximise golden eggs? youre getting a solid-gold booyah from me

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Smiles posted:

a squid who uses their inkjet at the start of the wave to float over the water and do nothing else with it? your booyahs fall on deaf ears and i will leave you to die

this sounds pretty funny tho? deserving of a booyah imho

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I booyah Ferrari at every race start and never get irrationally mad at them

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I knew I was missing something. I am now spamming booyahs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

POCKET CHOMP posted:

this sounds pretty funny tho? deserving of a booyah imho

maybe it was funny the first few times but at nearly 10000 shifts its already gotten a little stale. though i will booyah when they get splatted as they land back on solid ground haha that will never get old