Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Epic High Five posted:

if this was a US project there is zero chance they ever told Trump anything about it lmao

can you imagine having to just kind of hope Trump doesn't accidentally mention our big strong virus winning us the trade war in a presser or call with Xi?

yeah there is just no chance he'd be able to keep it to himself, he'd brag about this immediately.

e: :911:

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 09:39 on May 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I'm just reposting this because I'm extremely crack pinged off it and i don't know what the gently caress they are trying to do anymorehttps://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1257041977834643456?s=20

Marzzle has issued a correction as of 09:41 on May 4, 2020

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Daily reminder that Prester Jane was right

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Marzzle posted:

I'm just reposting this because I'm extremely crack pinged off it and i don't know what the gently caress they are trying to do anymore

Here it is inline, you don't need to put img tags around tweets. Just post them and the forums will do the work. Otherwise, use url tags

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1257041977834643456

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe the roni was an evil plan to make sure trump lost the next election but they didn't take into account the fact that the dnc would choose a candidate lovely enough to lose to trump with 50% unemployment and 1 million dead boomers

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

empty whippet box posted:

maybe the roni was an evil plan to make sure trump lost the next election but they didn't take into account the fact that the dnc would choose a candidate lovely enough to lose to trump with 50% unemployment and 1 million dead boomers

Illuminati conspiracy to install diamond joe is no match for TRUMP

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Marzzle posted:

I think there's a dece chance that it was spread on purpose to major cities by a state but like not a 100% chance
i don't, if only because it's naturally going to spread all over with instant globalized air travel flying something like 200,000 (?) planes a day. thats also why a 'roni strike is dumb because it's going to immediately come back to all your cities and everywhere else as well with business brooklynite travelers hocking around the planet by the millions every day.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

idk if the USA should've understood anything by the end of 2019, it's prob that we can't handle a pandemic at all. They've been drilling on it since like 2001 one or something and all the scenarios pretty much end up just like this. I guess it would be really loving stupid to start one but I no longer believe anything is too dumb to be true and I am mega fuckin' hypernormalized :(

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Epic High Five posted:

if this was a US project there is zero chance they ever told Trump anything about it lmao

can you imagine having to just kind of hope Trump doesn't accidentally mention our big strong virus winning us the trade war in a presser or call with Xi?

lol gently caress that he'd mention it at a chud rally

:yooge: GYNA if you're listening.... we've got a surprise for you! I can't say what it is, but it's a terrible virus

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah there is just no chance he'd be able to keep it to himself, he'd brag about this immediately.

e: :911:

whats 1.35x daily curve mean?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Inceltown posted:

Yeah, Trump would have bragged about it the first day he was told the plan. There is no way he could have kept a lid on it.

he did brag about having a cure before the first us death didn’t he?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
eating frogs finally had the consequences anyone could have predicted

A Wild Animal
Dec 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Google Butt posted:

just ordered some oil painting supplies because I've been wanting to try it for years, terrible financial decision but gently caress man im in a dark place. i want to leave some horrible lovely paintings for people in my will
Please Post the Paintings.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Jesus. So COVID has been outside of China since before anyone even discovered that it was contagious.

It's not surprising.

With the amount of international travel that takes place these days it's almost inevitable that it was spreading outside of China before they had a handle on what was going on.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

gay picnic defence posted:

It's not surprising.

With the amount of international travel that takes place these days it's almost inevitable that it was spreading outside of China before they had a handle on what was going on.

pretty much, iirc there was like reported pneumonia clusters back in nov/dec. im sure wuhan and stuff get constant flux of travellers visiting their off-shoring factories and "making biznis deals" and whatever. there's absolutely no way at least a few travellers didn't pick up and take it somewhere else in that timeframe, possibly even sooner.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Marzzle posted:

whats 1.35x daily curve mean?

pretty sure it means, below the line = less than 1.35x (35%) increase daily and above the line, more than 1.35x increase. 35% growth per day would be pretty bananas obviously. on the log form of the graph it's a straight line, I'm pretty sure it's only there to give a little semi-useful perspective but on the linear scale it's not so helpful.

e: from the change log:
By default, the original 35% trendline and a 1-week trend for the highlighted country are now displayed.

so yeah, I'm not a stats nerd but I'm pretty sure that's what it's for.
e: yeah that's what it shows, it's clear if you mouse over individual per-day points and compare to previous/next ones

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 10:26 on May 4, 2020

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

probably china did not do a bioterrorism imo

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1257234927822798852

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Marzzle posted:

well like he prob authorized weird clandestine ops on a level never before seen. like just look at how hard the USA has been loving with Venezuela. I feel like a lot of crazy intel schemes are just getting rubber stamped now because they "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN" without racking up trump's US military body count

Those people always acted without the authority of the elected POTUS. Presidents come and go, but lifelong unelected public servants just keep on swimming. They can't tie everything to the hope that the right guy for their agenda is popular at any given time.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Homeless Friend posted:

a grave is a type of quarantine

thread title plz

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

I haven't budged from my initial prediction that it started somewhere else and either a military or affluent travelers brought it there, on account of literally every plague being the result of military movements/training or rich people who just vacation 24/7

this is also the reason why the wrong country usually takes the blame, because it first "appears" in some area that is actually willing or able to recognize it in the first place lol

unfortunately we won't know for years and it won't matter even if it turns out it started in France or wherever

edit - this isn't out of some affection for China or anything, just that I refuse to believe it couldn't have started spreading on some US boat and broke out from there until it affected a nation that wasn't totally psychotic like we are

China waiting until after LNY and that one church in SK that dispersed its fervent to the farthest corners of the globe have a different take if true

The notion isn't to start it, the notion is that if you have it, you pass the buck.

Basically a worldwide case of national leaders collectively throwing a covid party, but nobody invited them and they all decided independently to not be the only one hosed over by an epidemic wrecking their GNP.

Xaris posted:

i don't, if only because it's naturally going to spread all over with instant globalized air travel flying something like 200,000 (?) planes a day. thats also why a 'roni strike is dumb because it's going to immediately come back to all your cities and everywhere else as well with business brooklynite travelers hocking around the planet by the millions every day.

Economic crab mentality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lkg_8ly1Tk

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/CNET/status/1257248651711262721

I've been there

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mistle posted:

The notion isn't to start it, the notion is that if you have it, you pass the buck.

Basically a worldwide case of national leaders collectively throwing a covid party, but nobody invited them and they all decided independently to not be the only one hosed over by an epidemic wrecking their GNP.

no country would have had to do anything whatsoever to have this outcome, this bug got EVERY drat WHERE in the US all on its own. as easily as it has spread, the problem wouldn't be delivering it intentionally, it'd be keeping it contained.
e: I mean if the theory is that various countries just didn't act and allowed it to spread as it inevitably would and has, maybe, but the much simpler explanation is plain old lack of competence and in the US's case, enormous stupidity and vanity

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 11:26 on May 4, 2020

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

still laughing to myself, just a little chortle here and there at my keyboard, about how the south wants to open up again right at the beginning of hurricane season, there is something buddhistly zen-emptying about a region wanting to own itrself so hard. thinking about that forecast for a stronger than usual hurricane season starting up in june and how texas is going to get owned both by a lack of oxygen flowing and an abundance of it lmfao

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

the unrelenting fury of nature is nothing compared to my desire get haircut and mimosa

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

oboe and flute are the hardest woodwind instruments, clarinet is right behind them though. oboe takes a ridiculous amount of air pressure, so does clarinet but less so, oboe fingerings are super crazy and difficult and make less intuitive sense. flue is hard for its own reasons, but trust me, it's fuckin hard

i took a year of flute lessons, a year of sax lessons, and a few years of bassoon lessons while getting my degrees too, was principle bassoon in the orchestra for a while actually. wheeee useless skills i can never use again in any context woo hoooo

troboe

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
austria (which is doing very well) has done antibody tests in 27 towns that had high number of cases. they found only 4.71% of people were exposed to the virus.

pretty bad news means there were not that many asymptomatic cases and the risk of further waves is real

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

poty posted:

austria (which is doing very well) has done antibody tests in 27 towns that had high number of cases. they found only 4.71% of people were exposed to the virus.

pretty bad news means there were not that many asymptomatic cases and the risk of further waves is real

also doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in test accuracy for the various US antibody test batches that reported large percentages of positives.
e: either austria's tests or the US's had accuracy problems but tbh I'd put less faith in the US test accuracy right now

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

always wondered the meaning of her line

she's in insurance, to ensure the timestream is happening? or is she insurance in case Bruce Willis fails to stop the virus?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
So what is Pompeo's plan when TROPU declares war on China and they say "ok" and suddenly the US economy completely evaporates cuz all our stuff is made in China?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

oboe and flute are the hardest woodwind instruments, clarinet is right behind them though. oboe takes a ridiculous amount of air pressure, so does clarinet but less so, oboe fingerings are super crazy and difficult and make less intuitive sense. flue is hard for its own reasons, but trust me, it's fuckin hard

i took a year of flute lessons, a year of sax lessons, and a few years of bassoon lessons while getting my degrees too, was principle bassoon in the orchestra for a while actually. wheeee useless skills i can never use again in any context woo hoooo

don't buy into capitalist framing, they're not useless just because they don't make the bosses rich

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Goa Tse-tung posted:

she's in insurance, to ensure the timestream is happening? or is she insurance in case Bruce Willis fails to stop the virus?

he couldn’t stop it

the movie hits that message pretty hard

she’s insuring that a sample of the non-mutated virus gets back to the future, errr present

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Hey so, we're not gonna have an Aus-NZ bubble now. In fact we're gonna move NZ further away

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Pretty sure she's just literally an insurance agent

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mistle posted:

Economic crab mentality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lkg_8ly1Tk

i mean i get where and why you think that, i also would believe it under other circumstances; however, the basic nature of tens of millions of people going from x,y,z, many multiple times, across the entire planet each day means it's going to get everywhere on it's own almost immediately. one guy to cough on a TSA agent or baggage claim, or just sitting in an airplane which then 300 passengers are exposed (plus crew exposing more), or hopping on a london or nyc tube at rush hour and having a cough without realizing you have anything wrong at all is all it takes. maybe it takes a few people in the right time but then they spread to other airports and metros and bars and whatever.

occams razer is kinda dumb but it's absolutely true here, there's no reason for grand 'roni strikes when the status quo and nature of globalized neoliberalism precipitates, nay, demands this happens all on it's own.

basically what he said

Flesh Forge posted:

no country would have had to do anything whatsoever to have this outcome, this bug got EVERY drat WHERE in the US all on its own. as easily as it has spread, the problem wouldn't be delivering it intentionally, it'd be keeping it contained.
e: I mean if the theory is that various countries just didn't act and allowed it to spread as it inevitably would and has, maybe, but the much simpler explanation is plain old lack of competence and in the US's case, enormous stupidity and vanity

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

it's just the flute, trobroe

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Levi's Stadium is designed as an open stadium with a natural grass field. It has a seating capacity of 68,500.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

compose solo pieces for bassoon, steal repurpose an abandoned bassoon from a defunct orchestra, and regale your neighbors daily with airs played on that marvelous instrument

also please send me a clarinet if you’ve got one extra you don’t use, i wanna learn

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

Pretty sure she's just literally an insurance agent

that’s what i thought until just now and it was just a funny coincidence she was one of the scientists from the future but young bruce willis is in the airport looking about 12 so she’d have to look the same for the next 20-30 years as he grows into the sexual deviant they send back

admittedly she like us wouldn’t be getting a lot of sun

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Skypie posted:

So what is Pompeo's plan when TROPU declares war on China and they say "ok" and suddenly the US economy completely evaporates cuz all our stuff is made in China?

I have a theory, and that is that Trupm/Popmeo are really stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

that’s what i thought until just now and it was just a funny coincidence she was one of the scientists from the future but young bruce willis is in the airport looking about 12 so she’d have to look the same for the next 20-30 years as he grows into the sexual deviant they send back

admittedly she like us wouldn’t be getting a lot of sun

the major theme of the movie is that time travel - even just thinking about time travel - makes you go bananas and either conclusion (or both) is equally valid.
e:
- maybe cole is completely sane and everything he's experiencing is literally true
- maybe he's completely Mentally Divergent and even though his experiences seem real it's all an elaborate fantasy
- maybe he's been driven nuts by time travel and his memories of the future are fantasy but he's still a time traveler (his appearance in historical photos)
- maybe his memories of the future are accurate but his perception of the present is distorted (i.e. the Pipe Talker voice he hears all the time)
:shrug:

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 12:17 on May 4, 2020