Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Urcher posted:

I do. Word cloud for April:

Tasmania delivers, as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
ACTUALLY POST THINGS

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Back his app!

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Sports rorts funding could escape constitutional challenge if rebooted as coronavirus stimulus

quote:

The troubled community sport infrastructure grant program could be saved from constitutional challenge by being rebooted as a stimulus program to combat the Covid-19 economic contraction, a constitutional academic has argued.

In a submission to the sports rorts Senate inquiry adjunct professor Gary Rumble argued that, despite warnings to the contrary, in “the current economic crisis there is no doubt that it is within commonwealth constitutional power to fund such activities”.

SHUT UP GARY DON'T TELL THEM THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH IT

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Can the government retroactively fund programs that were originally funded wrongly, possibly unconstitutionally? I understand they could take the money back, then reassign it or what slight of hand bullshit they like, but that doesn't remove the original issue. Not that anyone ever faces consequences in government, so why does it even matter.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

SPRORTS

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

chaser lowtax posted:

cool

who else would cover ato workers? I had to do a preengagement form which i think means i basically have the job

If it's the Federal public service it's the CPSU (CSA in WA).

They're ok, probably the closest parallel to the boomers union that guy was talking about on Saturday, but if you get to know the organiser and put your hand up to become a delegate you might find yourself on council or exec in 12 months, just due to being under 45 and engaged. Then you can partake in constant factional warfare with the rusted on ALP boomers, and the one Liberal voter who always seems to end up on the governance bodies public sector unions.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Rortsball.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here's a good one for yas

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-04/westpac-will-not-take-cash-from-home-loan-accounts/12213408

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
There are so many posts on Vic covid testing stuff about Daniel Andrews being out to collect everyone's DNA lmao

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Who was asking about Professionals Australia the other day? I'm in Professionals Australia. There are multiple sections as the union covers scientists, engineers, translators, engineers, ambos, misc white collar workers (like myself) and managers when they arnt utter monsters.

Most of them are decent, they have had a lot of success with cpeng creating a registration framework that isn't engineers australia (mainly because EA is a garbage organisation)

They have also been working on creating online content with forums and the like that are are getting pretty active.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Cartoon posted:

Your check just needs to be done before you re-register. The rego date is the one on the paperwork.

Thanks!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

rumbled

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

chaser lowtax posted:

i have an appointment with them on tuesday

ive actually met him irl, at a march against scomos bill, he'd remember me, i was quite distinctive. ill get in touch.

as an aside your name is how i refer to the time before i came out lol

thank you everyone

Good stuff. I dont really post much here anymore, but I'll try and keep a watch on how this goes, as I'm kinda curious, and seeing bigots get their poo poo pushed in is my only source of joy in this garbage world

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Fuckface the Hedgehog posted:

Who was asking about Professionals Australia the other day? I'm in Professionals Australia. There are multiple sections as the union covers scientists, engineers, translators, engineers, ambos, misc white collar workers (like myself) and managers when they arnt utter monsters.

Most of them are decent, they have had a lot of success with cpeng creating a registration framework that isn't engineers australia (mainly because EA is a garbage organisation)

They have also been working on creating online content with forums and the like that are are getting pretty active.

A few of us asked including myself. Have been interested but the misc white collar grab bag (which id fall under) was putting me off

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Are you trying to set my anxiety off again? Because its working.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Konomex posted:

Are you trying to set my anxiety off again? Because its working.

Same thing happened to my wife. Had the right symptoms, but hadn’t been overseas, so wasn’t allowed a test.

She’s also a school teacher.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I am pretty much waiting for the second wave to kick off, since we clearly have not stopped it, just no one is/can get tested until recently, as shown by that nursing home situation.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

ColtMcAsskick posted:

A few of us asked including myself. Have been interested but the misc white collar grab bag (which id fall under) was putting me off

I was a delegate at my last workplace and they where pretty effective at helping people navigate the very toxic workplace that had built up due to the management there.

The white collar grab bag thing is mainly covering those who don't have a traditional union. I'm a draftsperson and get picked up by PA under the engineering professionals group. Your mileage would vary, but it's worth having a look. Ive found they look after thier people pretty well, and the groups are really just there to ensure they funnel the more nitty gritty issues in certain jobs, like the mass casualisation of translator roles, to the right people.

I'd say the biggest issue I've had with them is they supplement thier income with members deals, and can get a little pushy about them when they do membership drives, though last drive I was in on was a few years ago now.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Not surprised, until Andrews authorised more widespread testing you had to be sick enough to require hospitalisation to qualify to be tested (or have been overseas, or in contact with a known carrier).

That said, it probably helps with their modelling if testing is strictly controlled, if you know roughly 10% of community spread cases are going to be sick enough to require testing then you can work backwards from the number of positive tests to get an idea of the actual presence in the community.

I would hope that the Covid hotline is keeping records of the locations of people who call up reporting symptoms too, if there's a sudden cluster of calls from a location all reporting covid symptoms that could provide a useful guide as to where it's potentially spreading.

I had hoped that we'd be able to eradicate it in Vic but I think the government is going to be under a bit much pressure to relax the restrictions after May 11 for that to be possible now.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

chaser lowtax posted:

cool

who else would cover ato workers? I had to do a preengagement form which i think means i basically have the job
My knowledge is somewhat dated but the CPSU is the only horse in the race since the union amalgamations of the late nineties. The bad news there is the CPSU(TOB) has it's roots in the FCU(TOB) and strong ties to the NCC and Bob Santamaria. Not sure how trying to be a CPSU member working tax without being a part of the CPSU(TOB) would work but I'd try and go that way. The whole point of the TOB is so you don't have to go out with the general membership unless your workplace specifically votes to do so. As the ATO basically has it's foot on the neck of government revenue, the right wing motherfuckers decided to limit the unions powers to depress said foot back in the fifties.

-/-

What a time to be young and foolish. There is no way the schools are keeping adequate attendance records, or have any real knowledge of who is supposed to be showing up. If I was 13 to 16 in the current world I just got handed 9 to 3 as a complete fun zone devoid of all adult supervision. That and my reckless behaviour is unlikely to actually make me sick. Adds a whole new dimension to misspent youth.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I imagine we'll be dealing with sporadic outbreaks right up until a vaccine is deployed.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

this is so weird, the message I've heard is that "If you have symptoms get a test" but if they won't test you because symptoms are not bad enough, and we know that mild symptoms are common, what is the point of that message

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Before Times posted:

this is so weird, the message I've heard is that "If you have symptoms get a test" but if they won't test you because symptoms are not bad enough, and we know that mild symptoms are common, what is the point of that message

The rules were changed before this testing drive. Anyone with a sniffle can do it in Vic now.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Endman posted:

I imagine we'll be dealing with sporadic outbreaks right up until a vaccine is deployed.

This is why the Vic Gov needs to be much clearer about their thinking and guidelines.

If their policy is, "we won't open anything until there is a vaccine", then they need to say so.

Right now they're just saying bullshit like "we will have options". What options? When?

What are the benchmarks for opening schools? Why aren't they public? It's ridiculous.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CelestialScribe posted:

This is why the Vic Gov needs to be much clearer about their thinking and guidelines.

If their policy is, "we won't open anything until there is a vaccine", then they need to say so.

Right now they're just saying bullshit like "we will have options". What options? When?

What are the benchmarks for opening schools? Why aren't they public? It's ridiculous.

Ok

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Suspect there is something more complex going on here, but the idea of lenders messing with redraw stuff is worrying. We barely keep anything in our savings account and just put anything leftover each month onto the mortgage since we know we can withdraw it if needed for a large unexpected bill.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

It's like Conservative Midnight Oil lyrics.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Meatworks now upto 45 covid cases.

Big outbreak but they're all apparently seperated from families etc already.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

Nobody knows what is going to happen, so why would they commit to anything?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

It's like Conservative Midnight Oil lyrics.

Greens voter, but try again.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Senor Tron posted:

Suspect there is something more complex going on here, but the idea of lenders messing with redraw stuff is worrying. We barely keep anything in our savings account and just put anything leftover each month onto the mortgage since we know we can withdraw it if needed for a large unexpected bill.

Presumably those legacy contract T&C's let them do this - I can definitely understand ME Bank's position but I'd say 95% of mortgage holders wouldn't be under this impression and it'd probably pay to check whether your bank/mortgage can allow this. All the banks are trying to build up a massive cash reserve right now in various ways - eg NAB is going out to the market to raise $3.8B.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

realbez posted:

Nobody knows what is going to happen, so why would they commit to anything?

It's very easy to say, "we will not release restrictions until there is a vaccine". Parents deserve to know how long they can expect to teach their kids from home.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

It's very easy to say, "we will not release restrictions until there is a vaccine". Parents deserve to know how long they can expect to teach their kids from home.

That would hurt the economy, the only thing that matters.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

But I don’t think anybody thinks we’re going to keep them closed until there is a vaccine, so they would be talking bollocks. If you want to have a set date for reopening in your mind then just imagine they said that and you’ll be pleasantly surprised when things open up sooner!

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

realbez posted:

But I don’t think anybody thinks we’re going to keep them closed until there is a vaccine, so they would be talking bollocks. If you want to have a set date for reopening in your mind then just imagine they said that and you’ll be pleasantly surprised when things open up sooner!

I don't want a date.

I want a guideline. This isn't hard.

"We want two weeks of zero cases before schools open."

Wonderful!

The Government will already have a guideline they haven't announced. They should simply make it public.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

They should specify just how many people are expendable because that always boosts the stock market.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The answer is probably simply that there isn't a simple single metric that can be pointed to. No doubt the medical authorities are spitting out lots of different models with different assumptions, all assessing the risks and consequence of opening up under different conditions.

Saying "We'll open up when X happens" is dangerous because in the modelling that is probably more along the lines of "It's safe to open when X, unless Y, but if Z then conditions can be A unless B in which case C will depend on D..." and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Senor Tron posted:

The answer is probably simply that there isn't a simple single metric that can be pointed to. No doubt the medical authorities are spitting out lots of different models with different assumptions, all assessing the risks and consequence of opening up under different conditions.

Saying "We'll open up when X happens" is dangerous because in the modelling that is probably more along the lines of "It's safe to open when X, unless Y, but if Z then conditions can be A unless B in which case C will depend on D..." and so on.

This exact conversation has been had. You're trying to talk down someone who just wants to complain that life isn't fair.