Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

You just did. Well, I’m off to get some alligatin’ done.

These alligations are defamatory and unsubstantiated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Baconator, baconatrix

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Baconator, baconatrix

Baconatrix, daughter of Baconator

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay, see you later.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Okay, see you later.

MLH wins.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Lone Goat posted:

the -atrix suffix is for words that end in -ator

gladiator, gladiatrix
aviator, aviatrix

Moderator,moderatrix

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
inflatrix

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sagebrush posted:

english has the most words of any language and is therefore the best.

It doesn't.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

"While his wife was on a shopping trip, the man spent the weekend with his mistress"

"While her husband was in a business trip, the woman spent the weekend with her...?"

"Master" seems inappropriate in that situation. Suggestions what it should be?

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Baconatrix, daughter of Baconator

Baconatorsdottir.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Moo the cow posted:

"While his wife was on a shopping trip, the man spent the weekend with his mistress"

"While her husband was in a business trip, the woman spent the weekend with her...?"

gently caress pig?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Moo the cow posted:

Mister, also why can't the woman have a business trip and the man go shopping? Get with the times

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Garrand posted:

Mister, also why can't the woman have a business trip and the man go shopping? Get with the times

Getting with the times means they would still be at home isolating to avoid getting the roni.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Moo the cow posted:

lover, paramour, inamorato

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

It will by the time this thread is through with it

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I've always found it interesting that "ain't" was a perfectly acceptable word until upper middle class 19th-century prescriptivists decided that it should be a shibboleth to single out poors.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Moo the cow posted:

I believe that all modern generations would refer to that as her "bitch"

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

this is extremely niche physics poo poo, but this post made me wonder if there was a name for a hypothetical supersymmetric* partner to the hypothetical inflaton**. There is, it's "inflatino," which really just looks like you typoed "inflation."

*"supersymmetry" is an extremely popular theory (for which there is less than zero evidence) that extends our understanding of particle physics by doubling how many types of fundamental particles there are

**the entirely undiscovered particle that is an excitation of the field hypothesized to be the cause of cosmic inflation*** in the very early universe

***the hypothetical (but solidly grounded) idea that the early universe (like, less than a billionth of a billionth of a second after the beginning of time) expanded way faster than we think it should've, invented as a way to explain the surprising smoothness of the universe on very large scales

so that's like three levels of hypotheticalness, but of course it still had to have a name, and that name is dumb as heck. This amuses me greatly.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

DontMockMySmock posted:

this is extremely niche physics poo poo, but this post made me wonder if there was a name for a hypothetical supersymmetric* partner to the hypothetical inflaton**. There is, it's "inflatino," which really just looks like you typoed "inflation."

*"supersymmetry" is an extremely popular theory (for which there is less than zero evidence) that extends our understanding of particle physics by doubling how many types of fundamental particles there are

**the entirely undiscovered particle that is an excitation of the field hypothesized to be the cause of cosmic inflation*** in the very early universe

***the hypothetical (but solidly grounded) idea that the early universe (like, less than a billionth of a billionth of a second after the beginning of time) expanded way faster than we think it should've, invented as a way to explain the surprising smoothness of the universe on very large scales

so that's like three levels of hypotheticalness, but of course it still had to have a name, and that name is dumb as heck. This amuses me greatly.

dark matter go brrr

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It does, idiot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kenning posted:

It does, fool, rear end, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clod, dope, ninny, chump, dimwit, goon, dumbo, dummy, dum-dum, dumb-bell, loon, dork, jackass, bonehead, fathead, numbskull, dunderhead, chucklehead, knucklehead, muttonhead, pudding-head, thickhead, wooden-head, airhead, pinhead, lamebrain, pea-brain, birdbrain, zombie, jerk, nerd, dipstick, donkey, noodle, nit, nitwit, twit, numpty, clot, plonker, berk, prat, pillock, wally, git, wazzock, divvy, nerk, twerp, twonk, charlie, mug, muppet, nyaff, balloon, sumph, gowk, gobdaw, schmuck, bozo, boob, lamer, turkey, schlepper, chowderhead, dumbhead, goofball, goof, goofus, galoot, lummox, klutz, putz, schlemiel, sap, gink, cluck, clunk, ding-dong, dingbat, wiener, weeny, dip, simp, spud, coot, palooka, poop, squarehead, yo-yo, dingleberry, wing nut, drongo, dill, alec, galah, nong, bogan, poon, boofhead, mompara, knobhead, asshat, tomfool, noddy, clodpole, loggerhead, spoony, mooncalf.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

:vince:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Triarii posted:

That's not the best comparison because Calvinball's rules are made up as you go along. English is more like ten different people came up with their own sports and are now trying to play a match with each other on the same field.

Yes but the field is Britain and the players are muscular men with swords and the game lasts for a thousand years.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
And there can be only one.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

And there can be only one.

Actually most of the problems with American English were caused by one guy who thought it should contain all the words used by Shakespeare so he carelessly imported and released them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Actually most of the problems with American English were caused by one guy who thought it should contain all the words used by Shakespeare so he carelessly imported and released them.

It wasn’t a guy.

It was actually a talking bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhBaVInb3jI&t=111s

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Platystemon posted:

lover, paramour, inamorato

Ah, that sounds like the right one, as in 'to take a lover' - thanks.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have an urgent appointment with the pool boy.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Moo the cow posted:

Side piece.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

All of you sound so immature using these -trix suffixes. They're for kids.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Moo the cow posted:

She spent the time with me; her mistress.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Moo the cow posted:

Most Americans would probably refer to him as her lover. "Master" distinguishes from "mister" by a degree of implied power, which is probably why "mister" exists in the first place. "Mister" contrasts with "Miss" or "Missus," which seems to be a written dialect styling of Mrs., abbreviated with an r for some arcane reason, while "master" and "mistress," which Mrs. is evidently not short for, only contrast in the context of a position of authority, not in that of an adulterous one. Calling a side piece a woman's master is awkward unless they've got some kind of BDSM thing going on.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Kenning posted:

It does, idiot.

:rolleye:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Pokemon Go Into the Highway Divider

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lol

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This follow-up was good too:

Egg Moron posted:

The psychotic bourgeois obsession with cramming consumptive 'fun' into every micron of existence is so excellent I can hardly stand being alive

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
drake_no: Pokémon break

drake_yes: Pokémon Go pedal

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Baconator, baconatrix

Terminator, Terminatrix

"I'll be back...to blow out your back"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Ah, Math v English grudge match. One is concerned only with rules, the other is hasn't decided if there are any.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Outrail posted:

Ah, Math v English grudge match. One is concerned only with rules, the other is hasn't decided if there are any.

Though only one field drives all its greatext experts clinically insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007