Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
0 new cases in New Zealand today, 0 patients in ICU. Suck it, plagualiures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Mask chat: My company had a soft-reopening today (swinger-club rules- everyone can, nobody has to) and wearing masks is optional.
Yes, giving a poo poo about your co-workers is optional.

necroid
May 14, 2009

today is also Italy's soft re-opening day

I'm already hearing and seeing pre-covid levels of car traffic and I'm already seeing facebook events popping up at big venues for this weekend lol

all of this without a clear definition of what tracing app will be used, with the added confusion of regional governors deciding that they can override the state's guidelines

I guess I'll continue living holed up and working from home like I've been doing for the past 70 days (insanely lucky that I can do this), waiting to see in the coming weeks how things evolve

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
People all over the world heard politicians say "strategies for reopening" and immediately went "All right, that's it poo poo is over let's go huddle up and spit into each others faces again."

Humans are so dumb, but we never get what the majority of us truly deserves.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hopper posted:

People all over the world heard politicians say "strategies for reopening" and immediately went "All right, that's it poo poo is over let's go huddle up and spit into each others faces again."

Humans are so dumb, but we never get what the majority of us truly deserves.

I've pretty much lost all faith in humanity's ability to rationalize a situation and act accordingly.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i'm very itchy to go out and do a multi day bike ride after lockdown but i'm gonna do my best and wait for awhile. it's no fun when the countryside is packed with people anyway.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Joe Bogan posted:

0 new cases in New Zealand today, 0 patients in ICU. Suck it, plagualiures.

Yeah, but you guys have your whole zombie sheep outbreak thing to deal with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhck0SLcA6I

So like, you can't be that smug mate.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, but you guys have your whole zombie sheep outbreak thing to deal with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhck0SLcA6I

So like, you can't be that smug mate.

You have no idea the heights my smugness can soar too. I will not be grounded!

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I keep forgetting that New Zealand exists, maybe the virus is having the same problem

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Pump Jockey posted:

I was able to switch my meds to mail order, except for one: they refuse to fill my asthma medication by mail. Which of course makes perfect sense during a lung-attacking viral pandemic.

Lots of inhalers have compressed gas as a propellant, so maybe that's why they won't post them to you? There are alternative ones which use powder which they might be happy to send, but in the middle of a pandemic is probably not the best time to switch meds :D

Re: going to shops for supplies - I'd love to have shopping/groceries delivered but all the supermarkets here are massively over-subscribed or saying to leave slots for others more in need.
No masks so wearing a poly/cotton buff as the best I have, but even the employees aren't wearing masks anymore...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Baller Time posted:

I keep forgetting that New Zealand exists

Are you a cartographer, by any chance?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Edit: wrong thread.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Huggybear posted:

yeah but you're still supposed to social distance even with a mask, and people are starting to crowd and act like you don't have to. I asked a boomer to move back in a grocery lineup yesterday because he was breathing down my neck, except with a mask on, and he said he didn't have to, he had a mask - but ample room to be two meters behind me. I reminded him that the municipal, provincial and federal guidelines instituted social distancing but not mask wearing and he replied "gently caress off and go back to your computer, nerd"

lol that owns

I mean it's stdh because no one would talk that way, you or them, and even if it were true, which it obviously isn't, they shouldn't have done that, but it would have owned if they did tell you that, is what I'm saying.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Big Beef City posted:

lol that owns

I mean it's stdh because no one would talk that way, you or them, and even if it were true, which it obviously isn't, they shouldn't have done that, but it would have owned if they did tell you that, is what I'm saying.

Beefy, you're doing that thing again. That thing where you get really mad at posts.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Beefy, you're doing that thing again. That thing where you get really mad at posts.

That's BBC's thing, yo. Kinda like it's GBS's thing to expect everyone to live in their basements until 9 billion people have coronavirus vaccinations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
My wife is a tech in an Opthalmology clinic. They are opening back up with a bunch of restrictions like mandatory mask usage, patients wait in cars instead of the waiting rooms, temperature taken at door, questionnaire about potential exposure, etc.

I can't wait to hear how many boomer assholes yell at her about this today.

necroid
May 14, 2009

you call that getting mad?

get real beefy, bitch

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

central dogma posted:

Kinda like it's GBS's thing to expect everyone to live in their basements until 9 billion people have coronavirus vaccinations.

thats what people should be doing. taking care of food/shelter for everyone is not a huge challenge. we can easily let everyone stay put and take a breather for a year to make sure we minimize the death from this virus. no one should be working except farmers and food processors, period.

unfortunately all the forces put in place to make sure our class system exists can not wait for safety. people need to be kept at the edge of ruin in order to extract maximum wealth from them. waiting a year just isn't possible

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Big Beef City posted:

lol that owns

He had me until the guidelines part lol

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

BBC has been unusually calm the last few days. The next outrage is gonna be fierce.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Rutibex posted:

thats what people should be doing. taking care of food/shelter for everyone is not a huge challenge. we can easily let everyone stay put and take a breather for a year to make sure we minimize the death from this virus. no one should be working except farmers and food processors, period.

unfortunately all the forces put in place to make sure our class system exists can not wait for safety. people need to be kept at the edge of ruin in order to extract maximum wealth from them. waiting a year just isn't possible

The population hasn't stayed put for a year in the entirety of human history, but sure, blame capitalism, a relatively recent invention in the scheme of things.

That sounds flippant, sorry, I personally haven't left my house since late March. I'm just saying it's an unrealistic expectation.

central dogma fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 4, 2020

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

central dogma posted:

No one has stayed put for a year in the entirety of human history, but sure, blame capitalism, a relatively recent invention in the scheme of things.

Nah, we have all the mechanisms and conveniences in modern society in place to incentivize everyone to stop working, stay indoors almost exclusively except for social distanced walks and other physical activity in parks and other public spaces, and quit going out to retail establishments and other businesses every day for non-essential reasons for the entire year or longer, except we don't because bloodsucking rear end in a top hat capitalists want to murder us to enable maximum revenue as much as possible.

Several European nations have basically done this to the letter too, but we aren't doing it in America because we're incredibly dumb and we don't give a poo poo about our non-wealthy population.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rutibex posted:

I would like a politician, any politician, to step up and articulate this as directly as a poster on a dead comedy forum.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Nah, we have all the mechanisms and conveniences in modern society in place to incentivize everyone to stop working, stay indoors almost exclusively except for social distanced walks and other physical activity in parks and other public spaces, and quit going out to retail establishments and other businesses every day for non-essential reasons for the an entire year or longer, except we don't because bloodsucking rear end in a top hat capitalists want to murder us to enable maximum revenue as much as possible.

Several European nations have basically done this to the letter too, but we aren't doing it in America because we're incredibly dumb and we don't give a poo poo about our non-wealthy population.

European nations are reopening right now despite not having a vaccine. Which ones said they are remaining shut until a vaccine is developed?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh hey the chuds are starting to wear masks in public ...... :stare:

https://twitter.com/nicopitney/status/1256778794532143104

Huggybear posted:

yeah but you're still supposed to social distance even with a mask, and people are starting to crowd and act like you don't have to. I asked a boomer to move back in a grocery lineup yesterday because he was breathing down my neck, except with a mask on, and he said he didn't have to, he had a mask - but ample room to be two meters behind me. I reminded him that the municipal, provincial and federal guidelines instituted social distancing but not mask wearing and he replied "gently caress off and go back to your computer, nerd"

That's real fuckin' dumb but I heard an even dumber story today. A friend of mine was in the supermarket here in Australia and someone was trying to keep 1.5m away from another shopper and they angrily yelled at them that it wasn't necessary because he had the COVID-19 phone app.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

central dogma posted:

European nations are reopening right now despite not having a vaccine. Which ones said they are remaining shut until a vaccine is developed?

Not saying any nations are shutting down until a vaccine is available, unfortunately, but European nations shut down much more aggressively than the US did and their numbers are so much less dire than ours.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Delta-Wye posted:

experimenting with bat viruses and breeding them to infect human lung tissue sounds poorly thought out. i just hope something bad doesnt happen!
Folks, they’re loving the pangolins over there! This is no good!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I wonder if I could make money selling a shirt for people who don't want to wear masks that reads "Don't worry I've already had it".

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

central dogma posted:

The population hasn't stayed put for a year in the entirety of human history, but sure, blame capitalism, a relatively recent invention in the scheme of things.

That sounds flippant, sorry, I personally haven't left my house since late March. I'm just saying it's an unrealistic expectation.

In fact many archives from the past European plague episodes show that we've been managing epidemics almost the same through centuries. Staying home, isolating sick people, social distanciation, etc. Often for months/years

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Not saying any nations are shutting down until a vaccine is available, unfortunately, but European nations shut down much more aggressively than the US did and their numbers are so much less dire than ours.

Understood. Sorry if I'm sounding combative everyone. I really do think it would be ideal to shelter in place longer. I just also think it's human nature to want to be around others and not be forced to coop up, let alone for a year. At some point, people will decide that being with their family and friends is worth the risk, especially if they're otherwise healthy.

Even if Capitalism is a driving force keeping us from sheltering, I think even without it, people would still be refusing the order after a short time due to human nature.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

In fact many archives from the past European plague episodes show that we've been managing epidemics almost the same through centuries. Staying home, isolating sick people, social distanciation, etc. Often for months/years

Plague episodes also meant a what, 25% fatality rate? If covid had that same fatality rate, people sure as poo poo would be staying at home. Probably.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

central dogma posted:

Understood. Sorry if I'm sounding combative everyone. I really do think it would be ideal to shelter in place longer. I just also think it's human nature to want to be around others and not be forced to coop up, let alone for a year. At some point, people will decide that being with their family and friends is worth the risk, especially if they're otherwise healthy.

Even if Capitalism is a driving force keeping us from sheltering, I think even without it, people would still be refusing the order after a short time due to human nature.

I don't think anyone reasonbly thought about a full year long lockdown ever.

The initial lockdown must be strict to allow buying time for preparing for what comes after: months/years of being extra cautious and maybe, maybe another lockdown if it starts again.

It really makes me sad when people seem to buy into the disinfo spread around. There are many people/countries who actually want the virus to spread and they will try to ridicule what we are doing by making exaggerated claims, exactly so that citizen become less likely to follow sound advices.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I don't think anyone reasonbly thought about a full year long lockdown ever.

The initial lockdown must be strict to allow buying time for preparing for what comes after: months/years of being extra cautious and maybe, maybe another lockdown if it starts again.

no we need to go full Solara
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Sun

quote:

The book focuses on the unusual traditions, customs, and culture of Solarian society. The planet has a rigidly controlled population of 20,000, and robots outnumber humans ten thousand to one. People are taught from birth to avoid personal contact, and live on huge estates, either alone or with their spouse only. Face-to-face interaction (referred to in the book as "seeing"), and especially impregnating a woman, when replacement of a descendent is necessary, was seen as unavoidable but dirty. Communication is completed instead through holography (referred to in the book as "viewing") where in contrast to "seeing", they are free of modesty, and have no problem if an interlocutor sees the other's naked body. A two-way teleconference allows the participants to hear and see each other, but in 3D – an idea almost unheard-of at the time of publication, when color television was a novelty.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

There are many people/countries who actually want the virus to spread and they will try to ridicule what we are doing by making exaggerated claims, exactly so that citizen become less likely to follow sound advices.

People in this very thread technically aren't taking it seriously enough. And none of them are chuds. Every page there's someone saying they had to go to the grocery or hardware store. There's still risk of transmission with a cloth mask, and I doubt their their need to go to the hardware store in person was worth the risk, nor that their need was special enough to outweigh anyone else's need who also chose to go to the store.

So if people here, who I hope are typically better informed than many, can't even follow strict sheltering rules, I have zero hope for the average chud who makes fun of "pro-maskers" as they're calling them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Please wear masks if at all possible.

https://twitter.com/carlminzner/status/1257089209845706754?s=21

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

central dogma posted:

Plague episodes also meant a what, 25% fatality rate? If covid had that same fatality rate, people sure as poo poo would be staying at home. Probably.

If covid had a 50% fatality rate we would still have pro-disease/anti-vax protests, and would still have people crying about how more people will commit suicide than will ever die from disease if shareholders lose even a fraction of a cent.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

I'm sorry, but I think we've all learned from this experience that China cannot be trusted.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

central dogma posted:

People in this very thread technically aren't taking it seriously enough. And none of them are chuds. Every page there's someone saying they had to go to the grocery or hardware store. There's still risk of transmission with a cloth mask, and I doubt their their need to go to the hardware store in person was worth the risk, nor that their need was special enough to outweigh anyone else's need who also chose to go to the store.

So if people here, who I hope are typically better informed than many, can't even follow strict sheltering rules, I have zero hope for the average chud who makes fun of "pro-maskers" as they're calling them.

It's impossible to avoid all contacts for weeks/months. What we should aim for is minimizing risks, being informed and transparent about numbers and risks, being responsible.

I admit it's more difficult in some countries than others, due to a variety of factor but mainly the culture. But I don't think it's really helping to shame people for still having to go to the grocery store or for wanting to see friends.

We have been in lockdown for weeks now here in Belgium, but people have a very pragmatic view of the situation. We know we have to stay home and minimize contacts, so we do it 99% of the time. But yes I have been visiting my parents living 500 meters away a few times. We stayed outside and didn't get close, but I can tell it was really important for their mental health since they can't see their friends and have actually been home since december when my father got hit by a car, and was in recovery since.

I still think this crisis will be very revealing for societies, how selfish/empathic people are, how government treat people (like children or like responsible adults), what values are more important, etc. So really there's not perfect guidelines for all people worldwide. Some countries could be more lax, other will have to be more strict, or just more cynical.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I still think this crisis will be very revealing for societies, how selfish/empathic people are, how government treat people (like children or like responsible adults), what values are more important, etc. So really there's not perfect guidelines for all people worldwide. Some countries could be more lax, other will have to be more strict, or just more cynical.

100% agree. Stay safe and thanks for the chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Are tehre any up to date death/infected numbrs worldwide stats`?