Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Oof. That is really poor value.. $1800 to get one with the 10th gen i5.

I got my 16" for $2000 from HHGregg via Google Shopping.. and it has an i7 & dedicated GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'd buy that over the 16" for no other reason than that the trackpad is not quite so insanely massive.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Well goddamn I guess I'll eat my hat then. No ARM MacBooks this year I reckon.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I see they're still doing the weird thing where they keep the two cheapest models on last years processors and only update the two most expensive ones.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fedule posted:

I see they're still doing the weird thing where they keep the two cheapest models on last years processors and only update the two most expensive ones.

It’s not weird, it’s smart. It’s not like the price went down. Or if it does, it doesn’t really hurt Apple’s bottom line as much since the processors are cheaper too. Hundreds of thousands of 17 year olds buy those every summer because they want a Mac and don’t give a poo poo/know any better/have the money for the higher end spec. Maybe this is the year Apple stops putting spinny HDDs or 1080p screens in low tier $1000+ iMacs.

eames
May 9, 2009

Are the two cheaper SKUs still using 14nm silicon? This release makes the new MBA more attractive as a portable machine to me, unless the CPU and GPU benchmarks are somehow off the charts.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The new MBA was always gonna be a better value proposition than this thing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Actually, now I take a closer look (I think the Apple Store App has been weird and piecemeal about updating specs) it looks like the low end models have been updated with the Magic Keyboard, just not with any new chips since last year. And we're still running the 2-port/4-port class line, but that's just kinda expected at this point (though I do wish they'd switch it so the 2-port models had a port on each side).

Wonder if the old-chip models have much in the way of reworked internals beyond the silicon, since its now in a magic keyboard chassis. Reviews will be interesting!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
It's exceptionally weird and discordant how I can spec out a 2020 MBA with double the storage and a much newer i5 processor than a "new" 2020 13" Pro at the same $1299 price point. Yeah, I know it's apples and oranges since the 13" MBP still has faster, higher TDP chips and potentially other improvements like battery life, but still feels bizarre for the base models to be offering 3 year old hardware. Like, uh, this is what people waited nearly a year for?

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 4, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

eames posted:

Are the two cheaper SKUs still using 14nm silicon? This release makes the new MBA more attractive as a portable machine to me, unless the CPU and GPU benchmarks are somehow off the charts.

For real. Like for all of the bitching about thermals, the new MBA benchmarks close enough to my 2013 15” Pro that I might rather take the $700 savings and put them into a desktop PC/iMac.

Or like an egpu, if we’re talking $1000 vs the $1300 two-port model.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 4, 2020

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's exceptionally weird and discordant how I can spec out a 2020 MBA with double the storage and a much newer i5 processor than a "new" 2020 13" Pro at the same $1299 price point. Yeah, I know it's apples and oranges since the 13" MBP still has faster, higher TDP chips and potentially other improvements like battery life, but still feels bizarre for the base models to be offering 3 year old hardware. Like, uh, this is what people waited nearly a year for?

Intel silicon hasn’t changed significantly since Kaby Lake.

Fixing the keyboard on the 13” pros gets them back to being my default ‘I need a good laptop and actually do things that are processor intensive for more than 1-3 minutes’ option.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The fact that you can now get a 16 gig 512 touchbar machine for $1799 and not $2199 is a much better deal. I'm ordering one ASAP.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Intel silicon hasn’t changed significantly since Kaby Lake.

Fixing the keyboard on the 13” pros gets them back to being my default ‘I need a good laptop and actually do things that are processor intensive for more than 1-3 minutes’ option.

Right, I get that, but the differences between an identically priced 13" Pro and Air are negligible for the vast majority of users who aren't audio/video professionals, resource heavy developers who don't work in the cloud, etc... and maybe that's the point because Apple wants to sell enthusiasts and businesses on springing for the higher-end $1799 model. :argh:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 4, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

American McGay posted:

gently caress, the iPad Pro is a better value at this rate compared to the low end. This is idiotic. No dGPU? And they're calling it a Pro? ha.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

No 6-core CPU or 14” display, no care.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Crunchy Black posted:

No dGPU? And they're calling it a Pro? ha.

you're about eleven years late on this one bud

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
13" hasn't had a dGPU option since 2012, right?

and that wasn't one you'd necessarily want to have bought, considering how it aged.

eames
May 9, 2009

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The new MBPs would've made more sense with a 14" display update across the whole lineup, but as it is the entry level 13" just has me wondering what exactly went wrong there. :psyduck:

I wonder if these are supposed to be machines for the edu market that are there in case the 10nm parts run into supply/yield problems. Kind of the equivalent of the 5400rpm HDD iMacs.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Penisaurus Sex posted:

13" hasn't had a dGPU option since 2012, right?

and that wasn't one you'd necessarily want to have bought, considering how it aged.

The last 13 inch MBPs that had dGPUs were released in 2010.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

American McGay posted:

Yup, not that I was going to consider the 13" (or 14") MBP unless it was a radically different design or an incredible value, neither of which was going to happen, but this just cements that I'll be purchasing a solidly specced i5 MBA sometime soon.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I get the feeling that Apple wasn't ready to put 14-inch screens along with a bunch of other changes into the 13-inch production line because of the COVID issue..

And as far as the 13-inch models not having a dGPU since 2010, it's tradition for Apple to gently caress over the 13-inch at this point; they don't want to engineer the extra thermal headway a dGPU brings, and why should they cannabalize 15/16-inch sales?

Geez, even the new cheap Stebephone SE has WiFi 6, and they couldn't shoehorn it into their newest laptop?!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 4, 2020

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
2.0 i5 or 2.3 i7 for music production and video editing?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Captain Apollo posted:

2.0 i5 or 2.3 i7 for music production and video editing?

Probably just go for the i5 because the thermals of the 13" MBP have never been particularly great enough to justify going for the i7 upgrade. I believe the difference in performance between mobile i5 and i7 is maybe 10%, if that due to 13" cooling concerns. Is that worth $200 to you?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

I get the feeling that Apple wasn't ready to put 14-inch screens along with a bunch of other changes into the 13-inch production line because of the COVID issue..

And as far as the 13-inch models not having a dGPU since 2010, it's tradition for Apple to gently caress over the 13-inch at this point; they don't want to engineer the extra thermal headway a dGPU brings, and why should they cannabalize 15/16-inch sales?

Geez, even the new cheap Stebephone SE has WiFi 6, and they couldn't shoehorn it into their newest laptop?!

Sure they could add some thermal headroom. Didn’t the 16” get a hair thicker? I’m fine with full blown pre retina thickness and I would imagine 10/10 ‘pros’ would too if only pros were the actual market.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there an Apple/Genius official way to recalibrate used batteries in a MacBook?

I keep seeing this old guide from OWC:

https://www.newertech.com/batteries/power-calibration-guide/

Which has some unexplained voodoo and more derivative guides online. My 2014 MacBook is going into low power 'plug icon' sleep at 25%. Should I reset the SMC?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Binary Badger posted:

There is no way these computers began the design process in the last 5 months.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Sure they could add some thermal headroom. Didn’t the 16” get a hair thicker? I’m fine with full blown pre retina thickness and I would imagine 10/10 ‘pros’ would too if only pros were the actual market.

16" got thicker because the new keyboards were thicker, I imagine everything under it is basically the same size.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What’s considered the MBA sweet spot? Quad-core i5, 16gb RAM and 512 SSD? I don’t want a Touch Bar so the MBP isn’t an alternative.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

FCKGW posted:

16" got thicker because the new keyboards were thicker, I imagine everything under it is basically the same size.

Imagine a baller keynote slide would read:

“We made the MacBook 5% thicker and improved performance by 100%”

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
what GPU would you put in a 13" MBP?

Does a 1660's CUDA acceleration provide a meaningful boost over the Iris Pro now that Premiere and the rest of the Adobe suite leverage the Intel iGPU?

It doesn't seem like there's a lot of tasks out there that would see a large enough boost from that to make it worthwhile, short of stuff you'd do remotely if at all possible (or on an actual workstation laptop) anyway.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Whatever the PC boys are putting in their 13” lines. As long as it’s the red flavor and not the green flavor.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Wow, that is not a spicy update.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

cowofwar posted:

Wow, that is not a spicy update.

Not an empty quote.

No new MBP for me I guess.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Whatever the PC boys are putting in their 13” lines. As long as it’s the red flavor and not the green flavor.

Most of the flagship 13" laptops all have integrated graphics as well.

I think Surface Books offers a 1060 on their i7 upgrade only.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Not an empty quote.

No new MBP for me I guess.

Yerp. Think this year I just drop some cash on better desktop parts and send my MBP off to be fixed up and call things done for another year or two

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

The ESC key and inverse-t keys are a new feature! wow!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
i guess the question for me is, is

- two extra ports
- higher tdp cpu with double the base clock
- P3 coverage screen
- touch bar
- 500 nits vs 350 nits
- no gold option

worth USD ~$340 extra compared to an i5 16gb 512 Air.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 4, 2020

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

MrBond posted:

There is no way these computers began the design process in the last 5 months.

Yup, exactly this. There's no way Apple skipped out on a smaller bezel 14" MBP because of Coronavirus manufacturing issues. I'm sure their roadmap was finalized last year and this was deliberate because likely either they a. Couldn't figure out a cost effective process for the 14" display design so they had to pinch pennies b. They're obsessed with not cannibalizing 16" MBP sales.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Xabi posted:

What’s considered the MBA sweet spot? Quad-core i5, 16gb RAM and 512 SSD? I don’t want a Touch Bar so the MBP isn’t an alternative.

The i7 upgrade is barely worth it, so yes. You can't really do better than this configuration, outside of pointlessly upgrading the SSD. I can't really see the purpose in a 1TB or larger SSD on a thin and light laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay now that the 13 just got announced....what do I get? :V

I do coding (react, js, wordpress)
Photoshop
high res photo editing
some light video work (nothing 2 fancy)

can I get by with the $1.3k entry level 13" or should I spring for something higher?