Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The bandwidth of a record is pretty good, 50khZ and up to 100kHz with quality gear according to google.

e: for fun, ATSC uses 6MHz to send 19.4Mbps, so that's 320 kbps for 100khz bandwidth on a record, assuming everything transfers linearly which :shrug:

Then there is the speed it spins at, probably going to be 45 to get us 100khz. Denser grooves are possible, but this makes me think we'd want like 25 minutes. Which is 33 rpm, so we need to multiply by 0.73 to account for running at 45rpm. I think we get 350MB per side, but I did this pretty quick.

e2: oh its actually 18.2Mbps with error correcting code overhead which we would want to have so 328 MB

e3: so i updated this like 3 times now i'm going to pretend its right now

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

pseudanonymous posted:

It is frustrating having to change the platter between each sub-level though.

Great, getting Amiga flash backs here. Remember when games came on several floppy disks and you had to change between levels?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Antigravitas posted:

Great, getting Amiga flash backs here. Remember when games came on several floppy disks and you had to change between levels?

I 'member when there was no saving because there was no writable media. Each time you loaded the game into RAM, you started from scratch.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Google maps lists the barnes & noble down the road as "temporarily closed" but I wonder how temporary that will turn out to be. Aren't they in pretty bad shape?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
They've closed tons of stores last year and are now owned by some hedge fund. Never a good sign.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Lambert posted:

They've closed tons of stores last year and are now owned by some hedge fund. Never a good sign.

Private equity ruins everything.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Private equity ruins everything.

Elliot Management wants to get that sweet, sweet real estate that some B&N stores (mainly the Union Square flagship) sit on.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

anonumos posted:

I 'member when there was no saving because there was no writable media. Each time you loaded the game into RAM, you started from scratch.

That's what level codes were for. They were a lot less painful than having a corrupted save disk though.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

Lambert posted:

This, extremely. I actually worked there part time in grad school and it was a pretty good place to work, after factoring in the usual retail bullshit. About two years ago, I bumped into one of my former colleagues, who informed me every single fulltime employee had been unceremoniously fired, from the registers to the warehouse. Most of them had been at that store since it opened. This turned out to be a company-wide mass sacking. A healthy company doesn't destroy that much institutional knowledge and expertise just to save some money. It's only a matter of time before the corpse is picked clean.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Excellent article up on The Atlantic which discusses how the COVID19 shutdown will accelerate the death, but also the consolidation of retail.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/04/how-pandemic-will-change-face-retail/610738/

quote:

The year 2020 may bring the death of the department store, marking the end of that 200-year-old retail innovation after decades of decline. Macy’s has furloughed more than 100,000 workers. Neiman Marcus has filed for Chapter 11. More legacy department stores and apparel retailers will almost certainly follow them to bankruptcy court or the corporate graveyard. As these anchor stores shutter, hundreds of malls that were already wobbling in 2019 will be knocked out in 2020.

The pandemic will also likely accelerate the big-business takeover of the economy. In the early innings of this crisis, the most resilient companies include blue-chip retailers like Amazon, Walmart, Dollar General, Costco, and Home Depot, all of whose stock prices are at or near record highs. Meanwhile, most small retailers—like hair salons, cafés, flower shops, and gyms—have less than one month’s cash on hand. One survey of several thousand small businesses, including hotels, theaters, and bars, found that just 30 percent of them expect to survive a lockdown that lasts four months.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I used to go a lot to barnes & nobles not for the books but for coffee in places that had no other options in walking distance.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Celexi posted:

I used to go a lot to barnes & nobles not for the books but for coffee in places that had no other options in walking distance.

The one in my area is a pretty good board game store too now that all of those in the area died.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Excellent article up on The Atlantic which discusses how the COVID19 shutdown will accelerate the death, but also the consolidation of retail.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/04/how-pandemic-will-change-face-retail/610738/

https://wwd.com/business-news/financial/coronavirus-covid-19-retail-bankruptcies-ready-to-boil-over-1203625604/

Add J-Crew, Neiman Marcus, and J.C. Penney to the fire

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Celexi posted:

I used to use one for weekend studying with a friend. I always wondered if they should have tried to pivot towards a more "bookstore café" style with sofa chairs and poo poo to encourage people to sit more.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1257255780576890881?s=20

Down goes JCrew

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Calling it a casualty of the COVID 19 pandemic isn't the whole truth, though. It's more another in the long line of casualties of private equity.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/15/jc-penney-bankruptcy-chapter-11/

JC Penney

Someone probably won a bet.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Like yesterday they confirmed execs we're getting their bonuses

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

You can’t let little things like bankruptcy and horrible mismanagement get in the way of execs getting massive “performance-based” bonuses.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

You can’t let little things like bankruptcy and horrible mismanagement get in the way of execs getting massive “performance-based” bonuses.

How can stripping the copper wiring by management be a preference payment...? :thunk:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

In retail news Victorias Secret is closing 250 stores.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

This is somewhat common, companies that are doing lovely have to sweeten the deal to get CEOs to hop on, and stay on, a sinking ship.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Yeah, we really need to pay top dollar to keep these great executives that ran the copmany into the ground.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

Tbf the execs intentionally ran it into the ground so they did perform to expectations

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The mistake here is assuming that the CEOs are there for the benefit of the company and not the other way around.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Apparently a pretty big Canadian retailer, Reitmans, filed for bankuptcy a few days ago.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

OneEightHundred posted:

This is somewhat common, companies that are doing lovely have to sweeten the deal to get CEOs to hop on, and stay on, a sinking ship.

According to other CEOs.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Lambert posted:

Yeah, we really need to pay top dollar to keep these great executives that ran the copmany into the ground.
They've had 3 CEO changes since the 2012-era fuckups that wiped out a quarter of their revenue and lit the fuse for their current predicament.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 21, 2020

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Horseshoe theory posted:

Apparently a pretty big Canadian retailer, Reitmans, filed for bankuptcy a few days ago.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/reitmans-restructuring-1.5575036

You're right. They owned the only?? Canada-wide women's plus-sized store chains Penningtons and Addition Elle. They were already in the middle of restructuring underperforming stores when restrictions prevented retail shopping. This just tipped it over entirely.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Lambert posted:

The executives that took JC Penney and ran it into the ground are gone. They had to hire someone to come in, pick up the pieces, and try to glue it back together.

If you had two job offers (for any position, not just CEO) and one was for a successful business and the other was for a business on life support, what would it take for you to take the job with the one on life support?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Missing Donut posted:

The executives that took JC Penney and ran it into the ground are gone. They had to hire someone to come in, pick up the pieces, and try to glue it back together.

If you had two job offers (for any position, not just CEO) and one was for a successful business and the other was for a business on life support, what would it take for you to take the job with the one on life support?

These assholes are making millions of dollars a year, they don’t have to work at all. In fact, taking on the challenge of turning around a dying company could easily make you worth more money in the future.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Solkanar512 posted:

These assholes are making millions of dollars a year, they don’t have to work at all. In fact, taking on the challenge of turning around a dying company could easily make you worth more money in the future.

And if you fail, doesn’t matter, you already proved you’re in the correct social class and will get more companies to loot.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

skooma512 posted:

And if you fail, doesn’t matter, you already proved you’re in the correct social class and will get more companies to loot.

The kind of people that determine who gets hired for jobs like this often stand to make more by participating in the looting of assets of these companies than if the company turns around. So you do well, people in your network do well, and then the company totally fails and the common shareholder and employee gets nothing because the pension fund was looted and assets sold for pennies on the dollar. Then it's not your fault the company failed, it was already failing when you came in, and your same network hooks you up with another company.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
There's also the very common practice of hiring a CEO to restructure, accumulating failures during the otherwise successful restructuring, then sandbagging the CEO with blame and ousting them as soon as the books are back in the black.

As a CEO, restructuring is not safe. It's one of the only chances you have to create real structural change, and as such it's the best opportunity to get fired for loving up, especially if the changes that were implemented don't resemble your plan in any way. Look at HP, they've done it 5 times, smashing the company into the ground over and over in pursuit of record profits and self-destructing printers and laptops made of cling film.

A good CEO knows there's money to be made in fixing problems, but a great CEO knows that prolonging problems is even more profitable, and looting the corpse once you're done is more profitable still.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Could. If they’re successful, but it’s taking on extra risk.

If you were put in the position to make $5 million a year for a CEO position with a successful company, what would you expect to be paid for the same job title at a different company, which is much harder because you’re tasked with the job of saving a failing company from bankruptcy and if you fail you and thousands of people don’t have a job any more?

Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The key here is they don’t need to make millions and millions of dollars while their employees make garbage wages and will not have a job soon.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
If there is a hard limit on CEO supply then it makes sense for companies to pay ridiculous amounts of money for one.

But there isn't a limit. Go find someone who isn't being offered 5 million by a successful company. Find some people with business management experience that are currently making 250k and offer them 400k at the risky company.

2nd Rate Poster
Mar 25, 2004

i started a joke

Dylan16807 posted:

But there isn't a limit. Go find someone who isn't being offered 5 million by a successful company. Find some people with business management experience that are currently making 250k and offer them 400k at the risky company.

but they might run the company into the ground

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

2nd Rate Poster posted:

but they might run the company into the ground

Worse, they might not run it into the ground and loot its corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Dylan16807 posted:

Find some people with business management experience that are currently making 250k and offer them 400k at the risky company.

Anyone dumb enough to trade a $250k job for a CEO position at a failing company paying $400k is too stupid to be CEO.

And I’m not saying you have to be smart to be a CEO — far from it — but you really shouldn’t be that stupid.